PDA

View Full Version : Laptops..

eagleqb_14
07-31-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm on a quest to buying a new laptop. What type of laptop do yall suggest? Also, where can you find them for good prices? i looked at bestbuy, but felt as if evrything was too pricy.

caleb_mccaig
07-31-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm on a quest to buying a new laptop. What type of laptop do yall suggest? Also, where can you find them for good prices? i looked at bestbuy, but felt as if evrything was too pricy.

I've used a Mac since I was a freshman in college, so for almost six years. My first one still works fine, but I felt the need to purchase a Macbook Pro for work and am still in love with it. I know if you're worried about price Mac probably isn't the way to go, but you really do get what you pay for. Every person I know who buys a PC, including my parents, have had to get a new one after 1-2 years because of either viruses or it has slowed down so much that they can't stand it.

With my 6 year old Macbook I've never had any issues whatsoever with the speed, which is probably close to what it was when I took it out of the box. Mac also has great customer service, especially if you go to an Apple store. My charger broke and they gave me one for free last month.

I'm an Apple junkie and as someone who has tried both at work and at home Apple products win every time.

Scoop27
07-31-2014, 12:50 PM
My wife uses a 15 inch Toshiba that has worked perfect for over three years with no problems and still using the same battery.
I still have an Apple I Book G 4 that I used when I was writing at the newspaper. It's way over 5 years old and works good

jason
07-31-2014, 01:11 PM

They're all made of the same parts (even macs!!) - they just have different labels. Find one you can afford and get a warranty.

caleb_mccaig
07-31-2014, 01:58 PM
They're all made of the same parts (even macs!!) - they just have different labels. Find one you can afford and get a warranty.

Same parts, yes, but the Mac OS is way different. The myth there aren't viruses for Mac's is false, but there are WAY more viruses written for PC's. PC still holds like 95% of the market so it doesn't make sense really for someone to write a virus using PC code and also OSX code to infect way less computers. There is just a much lower chance of Mac breaking down.

Also, I don't think PC uses a HD screen that has as high of a resolution as Mac's Retina Display, but I work in graphics and in the media so I prefer a Mac. It really matters what you are going to use it for.

jason
07-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Same parts, yes, but the Mac OS is way different. The myth there aren't viruses for Mac's is false, but there are WAY more viruses written for PC's. PC still holds like 95% of the market so it doesn't make sense really for someone to write a virus using PC code and also OSX code to infect way less computers. There is just a much lower chance of Mac breaking down.

Also, I don't think PC uses a HD screen that has as high of a resolution as Mac's Retina Display, but I work in graphics and in the media so I prefer a Mac. It really matters what you are going to use it for.

correct - the software is vastly different (whether one is better than the other, that's a different argument), BUT - the hardware is pretty much the same

check out this article regarding displays - http://www.forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2014/07/30/microsoft-surface-pro-3-deemed-best-tablet-display-on-the-market-by-researchers/

:D

I have a surface pro 2 and it is awesome.

caleb_mccaig
07-31-2014, 02:25 PM
correct - the software is vastly different (whether one is better than the other, that's a different argument), BUT - the hardware is pretty much the same

check out this article regarding displays - http://www.forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2014/07/30/microsoft-surface-pro-3-deemed-best-tablet-display-on-the-market-by-researchers/

:D

I have a surface pro 2 and it is awesome.

Definitely different. I think the OSX system is much easier with all of the mouse shortcuts and motions and what not, but if I let my sister, who is 22, or my Mom use it they have no clue what your doing. Unless you're willing to learn to use a Mac to its full ability then I wouldn't buy one.

Funny story, I got my new Mac last December, and when it came in I realized it didn't have a disc drive and apparently none of them will from now on. Somehow I missed that when I ordered it, but they integrated everything you'll ever need into the Apple App store and you can download movies and what not on Itunes so it's not all bad. It was just a shock haha.

Saggy Aggie
07-31-2014, 05:36 PM
I use a MacBook Air and it serves my purposes.

I primarily need excel, Internet and portability. I don't do anything fancy with my computer so it works perfectly for me

Celina8
07-31-2014, 07:44 PM
I am kinda in the same boat too as I have began shopping for a laptop that can do excel, and multi applications for work. From the best I can tell if I go Intel CPU then at least an I 5 and if I go AMD then I need an A8 or better. Take a look at Micro Center, NewEGG.com, TigerDirect, even Sam's or Costco. Some of the best priices I have actually seen have been at Office Depot. Good luck.