PDA

View Full Version : Need a new car...

Cam
07-28-2014, 05:13 PM
besides another Honda Civic....my 2008 Civic has been awesome for my daily 120 mile round trip to Austin. Little car has over 200K and still going...Rather be driving something bigger for comfort but I need economy...Wanting to try something different.....I kinda like the Mazda 6 & hear a lot of good things about it....but I gotta be honest, I haven't kept up with what other reliable cars to consider that can get me the 35+ miles per gallon I need....any pointers?.....and no panfan, I ain't drivin' that damn purple scooter no more!..I pawned it!!....

ronwx5x
07-28-2014, 06:03 PM
besides another Honda Civic....my 2008 Civic has been awesome for my daily 120 mile round trip to Austin. Little car has over 200K and still going...Rather be driving something bigger for comfort but I need economy...Wanting to try something different.....I kinda like the Mazda 6 & hear a lot of good things about it....but I gotta be honest, I haven't kept up with what other reliable cars to consider that can get me the 35+ miles per gallon I need....any pointers?.....and no panfan, I ain't drivin' that damn purple scooter no more!..I pawned it!!....Wife has a 2012 Honda CRV. On the highway it gets about 32-33 mpg and 26-27 all around. It's comfortable, reasonably priced and maintenance is free for two years. Don't expect it to have a lot of zip, but the mpg makes it worthwhile. Only available in a 4 cylinder.

Scoop27
07-28-2014, 09:13 PM
My wife and I both have Honda Civic's-She has a 2009 and I have a 2013. Mine has a sun roof.

slingshot
07-28-2014, 10:24 PM
After looking at and driving a new Honda Civic and Accord, Toyota Camry and Corolla, Mazda 3 and 6... I bought a VW Jetta TDI Sport. Dual clutch automatic, turbocharged 4 cyl diesel, great handling and fit/finish. No smoke or clatter, surprisingly quick, 38-40 mpg around town--44-45 on the hiway and it's not even broke in! Paid $23k + TTL. Love it!

hollywood
07-28-2014, 11:09 PM
After looking at and driving a new Honda Civic and Accord, Toyota Camry and Corolla, Mazda 3 and 6... I bought a VW Jetta TDI Sport. Dual clutch automatic, turbocharged 4 cyl diesel, great handling and fit/finish. No smoke or clatter, surprisingly quick, 38-40 mpg around town--44-45 on the hiway and it's not even broke in! Paid $23k + TTL. Love it!

I don't have a VW but will agree with your recommendation based on friends experiences. VW is the way to go for both fuel economy and quality. Much better ride and feel for the road. German engineering is hard to beat.

Cam
07-29-2014, 01:31 PM

hadn't even thought about the Jetta...gonna have to look into it now!.....How's the road noise on this car?....My Civic is loud!.....

Yoe_09
07-29-2014, 02:06 PM
My Mustang was totaled a while back, and I eventually decided on a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. It is a relatively cheap car, but I have been very pleased with it. It gets an EPA estimated 35 MPG highway but I have gotten up to 38 on the interstate. I also looked at the Elantra. My plan is to purchase another car within the next 6 months, but I may keep this one as a commuter type vehicle.

As far as the other car, I have narrowed my choices down to 2:

1. The Mercedes CLA - http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-CLA/bodystyle-CPE
2. The 2015 Mustang (released later this year) - http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/2015/?fmccmp=lp-future-fut-hp-mustang

The Mercedes is actually featured as a "bargain" car form Mercedes. The base model starts out at around 30k, which isn't bad and it gets 38 MPG highway. The Mustang, which is on the smaller side, will feature an eco-boost engine this go around. I'm anticipating around at least 35 MPG there.

I actually also really like the Mazda 6. I may go out and test drive one here in a few months and see what it is like.

Saggy Aggie
07-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Not extremely fuel efficient, but I drive a bmw 328i. Gets about 28-30 on the highway and 23 in town with me sitting in a little traffic daily.

slingshot
07-29-2014, 11:48 PM
hadn't even thought about the Jetta...gonna have to look into it now!.....How's the road noise on this car?....My Civic is loud!.....The Jetta does have a little more road noise than the others (but not bad at all) --the handling more than makes up for it. It handles and drives like a sports car... that happens to have a back seat and gets 45 mpg!

panfan
07-30-2014, 10:27 AM
besides another Honda Civic....my 2008 Civic has been awesome for my daily 120 mile round trip to Austin. Little car has over 200K and still going...Rather be driving something bigger for comfort but I need economy...Wanting to try something different.....I kinda like the Mazda 6 & hear a lot of good things about it....but I gotta be honest, I haven't kept up with what other reliable cars to consider that can get me the 35+ miles per gallon I need....any pointers?.....and no panfan, I ain't drivin' that damn purple scooter no more!..I pawned it!!....

I found Cam a ride!

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--AukbjdfQ--/18s0ruow3bx32jpg.jpg

Cam
07-30-2014, 03:11 PM
I found Cam a ride!

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--AukbjdfQ--/18s0ruow3bx32jpg.jpg

........ya know...I mighta considered it if it wasn't that dang ugly color!!!......can you imagine driving that thing in Burnet?, I'd never make it two blocks without someone taking a pot shot at me!....cause everyone knows every Burnet resident has at least 43 firearms in their possession!!.....

bd62
07-31-2014, 08:35 PM
I found Cam a ride!

That a low blow Panfan but sure is funny. Ha Ha Ha. ( Sorry Cam)

bd62
07-31-2014, 08:40 PM
I found Cam a ride!

That a low blow Panfan but sure is funny. Ha Ha Ha. ( Sorry Cam)

One thing to consider if you want it Cam is you could never PASS no one.

greendawg84
08-01-2014, 07:51 AM
I found Cam a ride!

panfan , you just aint right ....

panfan
08-01-2014, 08:49 AM

Just trying to help a brother out there gdawg. Want me to find you a ride too ?

panfan
08-01-2014, 08:55 AM

Hey Gdawg and Cam, yall coming to our booster club bbq shindig tonight? Only 10 bucks for a big ol plate of Q and all the purple you could ever hope for, seeing as how deep down yall really dig purple!

greendawg84
08-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Hey Gdawg and Cam, yall coming to our booster club bbq shindig tonight? Only 10 bucks for a big ol plate of Q and all the purple you could ever hope for, seeing as how deep down yall really dig purple!

Hell to the no ! That much purple in one place would make me ill .....

panfan
08-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Hell to the no ! That much purple in one place would make me ill .....

G-Dawg is a closet Barney, but fraid to say so. Come on out of the closet G-Dawg, its Okay out here in the light!

greendawg84
08-01-2014, 02:45 PM
G-Dawg is a closet Barney, but fraid to say so. Come on out of the closet G-Dawg, its Okay out here in the light!

:dispntd::tongue: No way dude , I bleed green .

LH Panther Mom
08-04-2014, 02:17 PM
I don't know how the size would suit you but my husband has a Kia Forte that gets great gas mileage. Coming out of the mountains East of Ruidoso yesterday, it got up to 59.7. ;) He averages about 38ish on the highway.

regaleagle
08-04-2014, 02:27 PM
I think you should check out the Hyundai models....my son had a Sonata for about 4 yrs before getting his new Chevy Truck last year. That was a 2009 and it got around 32 mpg back then. He got a great return on his money when he sold it also....it held its value like the Hondas do, but the overall value was terrific and the car had a great warranty. There were absolutely no problems incurred in the 4 yrs and he put about 80,000 on it in the 4 yrs. I understand that the newer models are even more upgraded now and they have quite a lineup to choose from. They should get even better gas mileage and more features today. His Sonata was loaded and a pretty good little car for only $19,000 back then. It even had the power sunroof and alloy wheels, and a power driver's seat.

Cam
08-04-2014, 02:58 PM
thanks everybody...there's a lot of good advice on here...well, except for panfan's recommendation!!...Purple Pacer my arse!!.....looks like I've got some research to do!

panfan
08-04-2014, 05:55 PM
thanks everybody...there's a lot of good advice on here...well, except for panfan's recommendation!!...Purple Pacer my arse!!.....looks like I've got some research to do!

You know you would look good in it.

bobcat1
08-04-2014, 07:56 PM
I found Cam a ride!

Is that LHPM's old car?