PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboy talk?

Farmersfan
07-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Anybody want to talk Dallas Cowboys? We can get into deep discussions about how 4 of their 8 loses were due to stupid late game QB mistakes.............. :speech::smoker:

Macarthur
07-28-2014, 10:59 AM
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/7/22/5927151/loss-forensics-romo-vs-the-leagues-top-qb

Time for my annual 'straighten out FF' post!

:D

Macarthur
07-28-2014, 11:03 AM
In all seriousness, this team will go only as far as the defense can be respectable. The offense should be really good. Good WRs, good TEs, good RBs good QB and a very good OL.

caleb_mccaig
07-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Only news I've heard thus far is that Matt Johnson got hurt again and that the O-Line is looking really good.

Macarthur
07-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Yep, the annual Matt Johnson hamstring pull. :speech:

GrTigers6
07-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Superbowl contenders! :D
Seriously though I think they will be much improved it will just depend on the defense and injuries.

GUNHO
07-28-2014, 12:16 PM
The offense might improve but the big question is the defense.I really don't see an improvement in the overall won/loss column.Hope I'm wrong.

Rabid Cougar
07-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Call me when the GM changes. Until then it will be the sos. 17 years and counting.

Saw a video of the '94 Super Bowl. My God..... I'd give my left arm for that team again.

Saggy Aggie
07-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Cowpies suck

cougartino
07-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Call me when the GM changes. Until then it will be the sos. 17 years and counting.

Saw a video of the '94 Super Bowl. My God..... I'd give my left arm for that team again.

Get used to it because Jerry the jackass isn't leaving his GM post. :crying:

Cam
07-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Yep, the annual Matt Johnson hamstring pull. :speech:

....that must me a genetic thing or something.....he's pulled that thing more than I've pulled my.....uhhh....my wallet out of my back pocket!.....:vrycnfsd:

Bullaholic
07-28-2014, 03:49 PM
McClain going to be more asset than liability at LB? So far, they say low-cost asset with big potential upside on the field.

Macarthur
07-28-2014, 03:57 PM
McClain going to be more asset than liability at LB? So far, they say low-cost asset with big potential upside on the field.

Expectations are very low, but sure would be nice if he pans out. Major first round talent.

The hope is that sometimes it takes guys bottoming out to wake up and see the opportunity they have. We'll see.

cougartino
07-28-2014, 04:15 PM

I hear Jeff Rorher, Garth Jax, and Frank Cobb are waiting on Jerry's call.

bobcat1
07-28-2014, 07:34 PM

Saw a video of the '94 Super Bowl. My God..... I'd give my left arm for that team again.You and me brother! You and Me!

Roughneck93
07-28-2014, 09:44 PM
:)

https://i.imgflip.com/aokcf.gif

Txbroadcaster
07-28-2014, 10:04 PM

That team was built pre salary cap...I love those teams..and get frustrated with some of the moves Dallas makes, but lets be fair Johnson was able to build that team with Jones money and freedom to spend whatever it took and load the roster with 2nd team guys who could start for many other teams

Rabid Cougar
07-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Yea I just love the "Flash in the Pan" Super Bowl Champions we have now days.

Rabid Cougar
07-29-2014, 08:31 AM

https://i.imgflip.com/aokcf.gif

REALLY???? Been drinking too much Jerry Punch.

Farmersfan
07-29-2014, 08:38 AM
That team was built pre salary cap...I love those teams..and get frustrated with some of the moves Dallas makes, but lets be fair Johnson was able to build that team with Jones money and freedom to spend whatever it took and load the roster with 2nd team guys who could start for many other teams

Don't forget the ridiculous number of draft picks they had because of the Hershel Walker trade! Jerry Jones began to dismantle the scouting dept soon after Jimmy Johnson left. As the Jerry Jones ego grew the talent of the Cowboys dwindled.............

Roughneck93
07-29-2014, 09:33 AM
REALLY???? Been drinking too much Jerry Punch.

Of course not REALLY!!!!

Having some fun Rabid....

cougartino
07-29-2014, 09:55 AM

I hear what cha saying, but even though they have not made it to the Super Bowl every year, the Patriots seemed to have figured it out. And what do they have that Dallas needs?

1. An owner who stays out of the way and lets his people do their jobs. And notice everyone still knows his name is Bob Kraft.
2. A coach who carries the hammer and doesn't put up wth any bull.

Farmersfan
07-29-2014, 10:23 AM
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/7/22/5927151/loss-forensics-romo-vs-the-leagues-top-qb

Time for my annual 'straighten out FF' post!

:D

I'm not real sure what kind of impact it has on these stats presented by this OBVIOUSLY biased piece of pro Romo propaganda but I went back and looked at Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers. Tom Brady had 4 loses by 1 score or less last season. He had 3 interceptions thrown in the 4th quarter in those 4 loses but 2 of the 3 were on hail mary passes on the last play of the game. Drew Brees also lost 4 games by a single score and he only had 1 interception in the 4th quarter in those 4 games. Aaron Rogers was hurt most of the season last year so i went back to 2012 and he had ZERO interceptions in the 4 games lost by a single score or less. Tony Romo had 5 games lost by a single score and he had late 4th quarter interceptions in 3 of those. Kyle Orton had 1. So the next obvious comment will be that those other QBs had late 4th quarter interceptions but their defense held and they were still able to win the game. So let's look at all the games each one of these QBs won by a single score: Tom Brady won 8 games by a single score or less and he had 1 interception in the 4th quarter in all 8 games. Drew Brees won 5 games by a single score or less and only once did they have to overcome a interception. In 2012 Aaron Rogers had 4 games won by 1 score or less and not once did he throw an interception in the 4th quarter. Tony Romo had 5 wins by a single score and only had 1 interception in those 5 wins. I think this just goes to show that it's very, very difficult for a team to win if the QB throws late game interceptions................

Macarthur
07-29-2014, 10:24 AM
I hear what cha saying, but even though they have not made it to the Super Bowl every year, the Patriots seemed to have figured it out. And what do they have that Dallas needs?

1. An owner who stays out of the way and lets his people do their jobs. And notice everyone still knows his name is Bob Kraft.
2. A coach who carries the hammer and doesn't put up wth any bull.

And it doesn't hurt that they have one of the top 3 or 4 QBs to ever play the game. :p

Macarthur
07-29-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm not real sure what kind of impact it has on these stats presented by this OBVIOUSLY biased piece of pro Romo propaganda but I went back and looked at Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers. Tom Brady had 4 loses by 1 score or less last season. He had 3 interceptions thrown in the 4th quarter in those 4 loses but 2 of the 3 were on hail mary passes on the last play of the game. Drew Brees also lost 4 games by a single score and he only had 1 interception in the 4th quarter in those 4 games. Aaron Rogers was hurt most of the season last year so i went back to 2012 and he had ZERO interceptions in the 4 games lost by a single score or less. Tony Romo had 5 games lost by a single score and he had late 4th quarter interceptions in 3 of those. Kyle Orton had 1. So the next obvious comment will be that those other QBs had late 4th quarter interceptions but their defense held and they were still able to win the game. So let's look at all the games each one of these QBs won by a single score: Tom Brady won 8 games by a single score or less and he had 1 interception in the 4th quarter in all 8 games. Drew Brees won 5 games by a single score or less and only once did they have to overcome a interception. In 2012 Aaron Rogers had 4 games won by 1 score or less and not once did he throw an interception in the 4th quarter. Tony Romo had 5 wins by a single score and only had 1 interception in those 5 wins. I think this just goes to show that it's very, very difficult for a team to win if the QB throws late game interceptions................

No doubt. I don't think anyone has ever argued otherwise.

Certainly the article is from a Cowboys fan site, but the numbers are the numbers. I think the article is quite good and shows that, sure Romo has had some late game failtures. But it also points out that so do the other guys. The biggest take away from the article, for me, is that during the last 3 or 4 years, Romo has been saddled with an absolutely awful late game defense and running game. So that puts even more of a burden on Tony than almost any QB in the league. Without him, this team is most likely a 4-12 team, at best.

Macarthur
07-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Defense - TD% Allowed in Late-and-Close Losses

Ind/Den 12% (26 drives, 3 TD)
Saints 12% (43 drives, 5 TD)
Falcons 16% (50 drives, 8 TD)
Chargers 18% (68 drives, 12 TD)
Steelers 20% (61 drives, 12 TD)
Patriots 24% (33 drives, 8 TD)
Packers 24% (51 drives, 12 TD)
Giants 27% (56 drives, 15 TD)
Lions 28% (72 drives, 20 TD)
Cowboys 30% (64 drives, 19 TD)
Having one of the league's worst defenses means two things: (1) you'll be involved in more close games than other teams (assuming your offense is good enough), and (2) if the game is close in the 4th quarter, you'll be more likely to lose it. None of these defenses has performed worse in late-and-close losses than the Cowboys' defense, and the running game hasn't been any better.

Offense - Rushing First Down Percentage in Late-and-Close Losses

Patriots 31% (55 rushes, 17 fd)
Ind/Den 29% (49 rushes, 14 fd)
Packers 28% (92 rushes, 26 fd)
Falcons 28% (58 rushes, 16 fd)
Chargers 22% (98 rushes, 22 fd)
Giants 22% (55 rushes, 12 fd)
Steelers 21% (71 rushes, 15 fd)
Saints 20% (55 rushes, 11 fd)
Lions 17% (110 rushes, 19 fd)
Cowboys 16% (67 rushes, 11 fd)
The most important run stat late in close games is first down percentage -- how well you move the chains. None of these teams' running games has performed worse in late-and-close losses than the Cowboys' running game. And even though yards per rush attempt is an almost meaningless stat, Dallas ranks 25th in that category late in close losses over the last four seasons, and 28th in lost fumbles.

You hardly ever hear this, but if it weren't for pass offense, this Cowboy team of the last four seasons (2010-13) would easily be the worst in the history of the franchise over a 4-year period. Look back, and you won't come close to finding a worse run offense, pass defense, and run defense over a 4-year stretch since 1960.

cougartino
07-29-2014, 10:34 AM
And it doesn't hurt that they have one of the top 3 or 4 QBs to ever play the game. :p

Good point. See I'm of the belief that if Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl, so can Tony Romo. The thing is, by the time the Cowboys D gets up to snuff to carry the team like the Ravens' did, Romo may be a little too old.

Macarthur
07-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Good point. See I'm of the belief that if Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl, so can Tony Romo. The thing is, by the time the Cowboys D gets up to snuff to carry the team like the Ravens' did, Romo may be a little too old.

Sure. But I don't think they need that caliber of defense. Just a 'Good' defense would be a welcome change.

Farmersfan
07-29-2014, 02:35 PM
..Defense - TD% Allowed in Late-and-Close Losses

Ind/Den 12% (26 drives, 3 TD)
Saints 12% (43 drives, 5 TD)
Falcons 16% (50 drives, 8 TD)
Chargers 18% (68 drives, 12 TD)
Steelers 20% (61 drives, 12 TD)
Patriots 24% (33 drives, 8 TD)
Packers 24% (51 drives, 12 TD)
Giants 27% (56 drives, 15 TD)
Lions 28% (72 drives, 20 TD)
Cowboys 30% (64 drives, 19 TD)...

You do understand these number INCLUDE the 4 games lost with late game interceptions by Cowboy QBs, right? And this guy even talks over himself multiple times. He makes comments like "And even though yards per rush attempt is an almost meaningless stat", he then goes on to use the stat to make his point.
And here is the coup de grâce of this discussion. Out of all those QBs that this guy compared to Romo, not a single one would see a change of address if Dallas offered their teams a straight up trade for Romo. NOT A SINGLE ONE!

caleb_mccaig
07-29-2014, 03:16 PM
The thing that bothers me is that a lot of mock drafts and experts have the Cowobys going 4-12 and having a top five draft pick. I really don't think that will be the case IF Romo stays healthy. We're going to have one of the best o-lines in the NFL this year and Demarco is in a contract year (I know some people may not believe this, but a lot of guys usually perform their best in the contract year), and Dunbar is back. I don't think we'll need to throw near as much as we have been, will we run more though? Who knows. If we do throw as much expect Dez to have a hell of a year (Also in a contract year).

The defense is obviously the question mark. I think Wilcox will be improved and Church is always reliable. Maybe finally having a fully healthy Claiborne will help establish a decent secondary. I think the D-line will be better than last year also. The real question mark is the linebackers, Bruce Carter regressed after a great 2012 and who knows what we'll get out of McClain.

I'm personally excited for the season because in the NFL anything can happen any week of the season.

Farmersfan
07-29-2014, 03:24 PM
The thing that bothers me is that a lot of mock drafts and experts have the Cowobys going 4-12 and having a top five draft pick. I really don't think that will be the case IF Romo stays healthy. We're going to have one of the best o-lines in the NFL this year and Demarco is in a contract year (I know some people may not believe this, but a lot of guys usually perform their best in the contract year), and Dunbar is back. I don't think we'll need to throw near as much as we have been, will we run more though? Who knows. If we do throw as much expect Dez to have a hell of a year (Also in a contract year).

The defense is obviously the question mark. I think Wilcox will be improved and Church is always reliable. Maybe finally having a fully healthy Claiborne will help establish a decent secondary. I think the D-line will be better than last year also. The real question mark is the linebackers, Bruce Carter regressed after a great 2012 and who knows what we'll get out of McClain.

I'm personally excited for the season because in the NFL anything can happen any week of the season.

Another point about the defense (besides the numerous injuries). The cowboys last season played 8 games against top 10 passing offenses and 7 games against top 10 rushing offenses. Some might say those teams were top 10 because they had the Cowboys on their schedule! :speech:

Macarthur
07-29-2014, 03:33 PM
You do understand these number INCLUDE the 4 games lost with late game interceptions by Cowboy QBs, right?

Sure, but the other teams are being judged by the same criteria. I'm sure some of the TDs given up by the other teams were due to a QB mistake too, especially inlight of the stats he used above.

And this guy even talks over himself multiple times. He makes comments like "And even though yards per rush attempt is an almost meaningless stat", he then goes on to use the stat to make his point.

The article isn't perfect, but his point still remains. I actually disagree with him that yards per attempt is meaningless. I see his point, but I think he's using some hyperbole when he says 'almost meaningless'. But his point is about rushing late in games, which is the whole point of his article. Therefore, for the purposes of the discussion, rushing yards per attempt late in games becomes a stat that can tell us a story. It tells us just how bad this team has been over the past several years in situations where they HAD to run the ball.

And here is the coup de grâce of this discussion. Out of all those QBs that this guy compared to Romo, not a single one would see a change of address if Dallas offered their teams a straight up trade for Romo. NOT A SINGLE ONE!

And here's where you're being subjective. You may not like his conclusions, but he uses numbers. You're simply injecting your personal opinion. And I happen to agree with you that Atlanta would not trade Ryan for Romo and SD would not trade Rivers for Romo. But the reverse is also true. Dallas wouldn't trade Romo for either, age not withstanding. And we've been saying this since the discuss started that no one is saying Romo is better than Brady, Manning or Brees. What has repeatedly been said is that he fits in that second tier of guys with Rivers, Ryan, Eli, etc. And with those guys in the 5-12 range, it's almost a matter of vanilla or chocolate.

Macarthur
07-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Another point about the defense (besides the numerous injuries). The cowboys last season played 8 games against top 10 passing offenses and 7 games against top 10 rushing offenses. Some might say those teams were top 10 because they had the Cowboys on their schedule! :speech:

I agree that the injuries play a part. No doubt.

But at some point, guys like Ware have to step up and make a play to get stop. As much as I loved Ware being a Cowboy, he repeatedly escaped any criticism when it was his side of the ball that failed far more than Romo's side, yet Romo is the whipping post.

Macarthur
07-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Ultimately, I'm so worn out on this franchise that I have no level of excitement for them anymore.

I'm still glad football is back, primarily college, but this is the first time I can remember that I didn't know when training camp started.

cougartino
07-30-2014, 01:17 AM
And now Demarcus Lawrence is injured. To borrow a quote from Vince Lombardi, "What the hell is going on out here????!!!!!"

bobcat1
07-30-2014, 06:54 AM
And now Demarcus Lawrence is injured. To borrow a quote from Vince Lombardi, "What the hell is going on out here????!!!!!"
We are cursed.

Farmersfan
07-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Sure, but the other teams are being judged by the same criteria. I'm sure some of the TDs given up by the other teams were due to a QB mistake too, especially inlight of the stats he used above.

What happened? :speech:

It's like we jumped back in time. I posted the numbers of 4th quarter interceptions given up in 1 score games by those other QBs who are being compared to Romo. Only Brady was close to Romo and 2 of the 3 by Brady were on Hail Mary passes on the last play of the game. The article showed that the Dallas defense ranked last of all those others defenses in TDs given up in the 4th in 1 score games. My point was that if you make Romo's interception equal to those other QBs interceptions in the same situation the Dallas defense was not ranked dead last but was ranked right in the middle. No defense does a good job of defending against short field interceptions by their QB. NONE

Farmersfan
07-30-2014, 08:51 AM
I agree that the injuries play a part. No doubt.

But at some point, guys like Ware have to step up and make a play to get stop. As much as I loved Ware being a Cowboy, he repeatedly escaped any criticism when it was his side of the ball that failed far more than Romo's side, yet Romo is the whipping post.

Question: Where is Ware right now? The Ware "side of the ball" has been repeatedly updated and repaired in an effort to fix the problems. That's been my point from the beginning. Can we get a better QB than Tony Romo? Who the hell knows? What i do know for a fact is that we won't get a better one if we aren't looking. I know all the problems this team has had on defense, offensive line, RBs and receivers over Romo's career but at some point the franchise QB must win with what he's got. The CONSTANT demands to fix everything around him while he gets to continue to provide 8-8 seasons is ridiculous. If we have a top ranked defense, top ranked offense, top ranked RBs and top ranked receivers we don't need a 100 million dollar QB to be successful. The reason they pay that much money for a franchise QB is because he is supposed to be able to overcome the weaknesses of the team he has around him and can win with a modest amount of talent. Every single top tier QB in the NFL does it. EXCEPT Tony Romo..............

Farmersfan
07-30-2014, 08:54 AM

Makes me seriously question the conditioning program with this franchise. Seems to me Dallas has had more than their fair share of hamstring and other leg related injuries over the years. Isn't that a stregnth and conditioning issue?

Macarthur
07-30-2014, 09:06 AM
What happened? :speech:

It's like we jumped back in time. I posted the numbers of 4th quarter interceptions given up in 1 score games by those other QBs who are being compared to Romo. Only Brady was close to Romo and 2 of the 3 by Brady were on Hail Mary passes on the last play of the game. The article showed that the Dallas defense ranked last of all those others defenses in TDs given up in the 4th in 1 score games. My point was that if you make Romo's interception equal to those other QBs interceptions in the same situation the Dallas defense was not ranked dead last but was ranked right in the middle. No defense does a good job of defending against short field interceptions by their QB. NONE

YOu only looked at last year. This article uses the last 4 years of data. And you also forgot to include the fact that Tony is 2nd in the league since 2010 in 4th quarter and OT wins. edit: come from behind wins.

As I said earlier, I don't have the energy to debate the merits surrounding this franchise anymore. I don't want to waste my time anymore. It's quite clear you and I have very diff views.

caleb_mccaig
07-30-2014, 09:17 AM

Broken foot. 8-12 weeks. Just great.

cougartino
07-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Makes me seriously question the conditioning program with this franchise. Seems to me Dallas has had more than their fair share of hamstring and other leg related injuries over the years. Isn't that a stregnth and conditioning issue?

Jerry thinks he's a GM. Maybe he thinks he's an MD, too, and handles S & C.

Farmersfan
07-30-2014, 10:16 AM
YOu only looked at last year. This article uses the last 4 years of data. And you also forgot to include the fact that Tony is 2nd in the league since 2010 in 4th quarter and OT wins. edit: come from behind wins.

As I said earlier, I don't have the energy to debate the merits surrounding this franchise anymore. I don't want to waste my time anymore. It's quite clear you and I have very diff views.

Unfortunately if we don't debate Romo, there isn't much more to debate with this team these days! :crying::weeping:

Farmersfan
07-30-2014, 10:18 AM

And I actually use Romo's entire career to formulate my opinion. This article illustrates selective stats to show in favor of Romo over the last 4 years and makes points about how bad the defense has been. It disregards the fact that Romo didn't do any better when the defense was #2 in the entire NFL. Or when the O-line was #1 in the NFL and on and on and on and on and on!!!!!

cougartino
07-30-2014, 10:35 AM
I’m my opinion, Romo has plateaued. He’s not going to get any better. But he is serviceable. Even Aikman made mistakes. But the Cowboys then were good enough to overcome them. Today’s Cowboys are not good enough to overcome Romo’s. That’s why Romo sticks out like a sore thumb. But ask a Texans fan if they would rather have Romo than Fitzpatrick.

Farmersfan
07-30-2014, 01:28 PM
I’m my opinion, Romo has plateaued. He’s not going to get any better. But he is serviceable. Even Aikman made mistakes. But the Cowboys then were good enough to overcome them. Today’s Cowboys are not good enough to overcome Romo’s. That’s why Romo sticks out like a sore thumb. But ask a Texans fan if they would rather have Romo than Fitzpatrick.

Actually his mistakes and errors that cost this team stuck out far, far worse his first 4 seasons. In 2006 he played with the #13 defense and #5 offense, 2007 he played with the #9 defense and #3 offense, in 2008 he had the #8 defense and #13 offense and then in 2009 he had the #9 defense (#2 in points allowed) and #2 offense. He managed 1 playoff win. Since then his performance has not changed much but his win/loss totals went down as the team around him got less talented. Pro Football.com has a Weighted Career Approximate Value index and they give Tony Romo a 84 rating for his career which makes him the 286th best QB since 1950.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RomoTo00.htm

caleb_mccaig
07-30-2014, 01:33 PM
First big positive news out of camp, Dallas just signed Tyron Smith to an 8 year extension worth $110 million, including $40 mil guarenteed, with a $10 mil signing bonus. He'll be a Cowboy through 2023, He'll be 31 when the deal runs out.

cougartino
07-30-2014, 01:56 PM
First big positive news out of camp, Dallas just signed Tyron Smith to an 8 year extension worth $110 million, including $40 mil guarenteed, with a $10 mil signing bonus. He'll be a Cowboy through 2023, He'll be 31 when the deal runs out.

Yeah because on the footage, he was whooping Lawrence's @$$$!

Bullaholic
07-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Here's the way the Romo debate will go, FF. If Romo's back doesn't hold up and/or he plays poorly at the start of the regular season, and if Manziel gets a chance to play-- and plays well in Cleveland---Jerry will have to leave town to escape all the "I-told-u-so's"

cougartino
07-30-2014, 02:13 PM
From the AP:

10 Cowboys fans have been placed on injured reserve

cougartino
07-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Claiborne suffered a knee injury today. :helpme:

ATTENTION: All who ever played or even thought about playing pro football, contact Jerry or Stephen at 972-555-HURT.

Might was well get the Dallas Morning News, Facebook, and Twitter to run it now. And I got the Patron. Somebody bring glasses.

Farmersfan
07-31-2014, 08:09 AM
Here's the way the Romo debate will go, FF. If Romo's back doesn't hold up and/or he plays poorly at the start of the regular season, and if Manziel gets a chance to play-- and plays well in Cleveland---Jerry will have to leave town to escape all the "I-told-u-so's"

I was not and am not currently on the Manziel bandwagon Bull. I'm on the "Not-Romo" bandwagon. Although i do enjoy a well thought out and civil debate my biggest problem with Romo started when he showed his true colors. I firmly believe the leader of a team at the professional level can and does inflict the entire team with his attitude. Numerous comments by Romo previous to the BIG REVEAL had me on the fence but when Romo made the comment after his horrible performance against Philly to lose the NFC championship that "If losing a football game is the worst thing that ever happens to you then you have lived a pretty good life" that sealed the deal. I think it is completely true that people speak their deepest thoughts and beliefs when they are angry or emotional.(or drunk) I would not pay a person 100 million dollars to lead my team if he didn't consider his job to be one of the most important things in his life. From that moment on I viewed Romo with a biased eye and every single time he speaks I have to look on it with disdain and ridicule. Romo has a distinct way of getting under the skin of anybody who doesn't like him with definitive comments about "how to play the game" or "what it takes to be successful" when he has never demonstrated the ability to do so. I view Romo's comments about what it takes to be a great QB in the NFL just like I would view the comments of a obese person on how to lose weight. Romo talks the talk but has never walked the walk except in infrequent flashes of brilliance that got everybody's hopes up.
Ok, I'm off the soapbox! And I have to say it's awesome to once again have something to actually talk about on here.

Farmersfan
07-31-2014, 08:22 AM
I was not and am not currently on the Manziel bandwagon Bull. I'm on the "Not-Romo" bandwagon. Although i do enjoy a well thought out and civil debate my biggest problem with Romo started when he showed his true colors. I firmly believe the leader of a team at the professional level can and does inflict the entire team with his attitude. Numerous comments by Romo previous to the BIG REVEAL had me on the fence but when Romo made the comment after his horrible performance against Philly to lose the NFC championship that "If losing a football game is the worst thing that ever happens to you then you have lived a pretty good life" that sealed the deal. I think it is completely true that people speak their deepest thoughts and beliefs when they are angry or emotional.(or drunk) I would not pay a person 100 million dollars to lead my team if he didn't consider his job to be one of the most important things in his life. From that moment on I viewed Romo with a biased eye and every single time he speaks I have to look on it with disdain and ridicule. Romo has a distinct way of getting under the skin of anybody who doesn't like him with definitive comments about "how to play the game" or "what it takes to be successful" when he has never demonstrated the ability to do so. I view Romo's comments about what it takes to be a great QB in the NFL just like I would view the comments of a obese person on how to lose weight. Romo talks the talk but has never walked the walk except in infrequent flashes of brilliance that got everybody's hopes up.
Ok, I'm off the soapbox! And I have to say it's awesome to once again have something to actually talk about on here.

And I need to add: I am quickly feeling the same way about their coach. Jason Garrett has ZERO coaching skins on the wall yet he shows no humility when he talks and he can't open his mouth without spewing his completely ineffective football knowledge.

Cam
07-31-2014, 09:44 PM
....all I heard today from Cowboys camp is that Matt Johnson pulled his other hammy while standing in front of the urinal!.....

bobcat1
08-01-2014, 07:18 AM
If Dallas is going to beat anyone this year they need to practice their 2 point conversions and get that down to perfection. Because the defense will stop no one and their only hope is to outscore a team.

panfan
08-01-2014, 08:46 AM
....all I heard today from Cowboys camp is that Matt Johnson pulled his other hammy while standing in front of the urinal!.....

A double whammy hammy pull? Oh man.

CelinaCatFan
08-01-2014, 10:43 AM
I think the key for Dallas this year will be the play of their much improved O-Line. Since Romo gets into trouble by having to make something happen in the latter part of games, the Cowboys need to get back to a ball controlled offense. By focusing on a running game, the Cowboys will control the clock, keep their D off the field and minimize exposing their defensive weaknesses. I know its not as flashy to emphasize the run and shy away from a more exciting pro style offense. However, it will provide them the best opportunity for success this season.

cougartino
08-01-2014, 11:59 AM
I think the key for Dallas this year will be the play of their much improved O-Line. Since Romo gets into trouble by having to make something happen in the latter part of games, the Cowboys need to get back to a ball controlled offense. By focusing on a running game, the Cowboys will control the clock, keep their D off the field and minimize exposing their defensive weaknesses. I know its not as flashy to emphasize the run and shy away from a more exciting pro style offense. However, it will provide them the best opportunity for success this season.

And also telling Dez to sit his arse down when he complains about not getting enough touches.

Bullaholic
08-01-2014, 01:02 PM
And also telling Dez to sit his arse down when he complains about not getting enough touches.

With Dez being in a contract end year, I bet he is going to be on a real tear every play about not getting the ball enough.

Farmersfan
08-04-2014, 07:57 AM
I think the Dallas offense will be fine. The O-line is shaping up to possibly be the best in the NFL. The question is can Murray stay healthy and has Dallas managed to get a quality backup for him? I think the Dallas receivers will be fine. Probably better than they have been in several years. I also don't think the Dallas defense will be as bad as most people act. Last season was an anomaly and the result of many injuries in the wrong places. It probably won't be a great defense but I expect it will be much better than last season. But only time will tell.

caleb_mccaig
08-04-2014, 10:59 AM
With Dez being in a contract end year, I bet he is going to be on a real tear every play about not getting the ball enough.

I'd be really surprised if the season starts and Dez doesn't have a new contract.......the longer they wait the more he'll want and if they can sign him before the season then he'll take somewhat of a discount to make sure he has guaranteed money in case any kind of injury were to happen.

CelinaCatFan
08-04-2014, 06:14 PM
I think Dunbar is a quality back up for Murray. I'm not concerned about RB.

I think the Dallas offense will be fine. The O-line is shaping up to possibly be the best in the NFL. The question is can Murray stay healthy and has Dallas managed to get a quality backup for him? I think the Dallas receivers will be fine. Probably better than they have been in several years. I also don't think the Dallas defense will be as bad as most people act. Last season was an anomaly and the result of many injuries in the wrong places. It probably won't be a great defense but I expect it will be much better than last season. But only time will tell.

caleb_mccaig
08-04-2014, 06:45 PM
I think Dunbar is a quality back up for Murray. I'm not concerned about RB.

I like Dunbar a lot, but he'll have his hands full with Ryan Williams, a former second rd pick out of Va Tech, for the backup spot.

CelinaCatFan
08-04-2014, 07:16 PM
I think the biggest concern should still be Romo's back. He's being held out of the first pre-season game as a precaution. However, I think its more than that. The true picture of the story could have been foreshadowed this past offseason when Kyle Orton gave up guaranteed salary to leave the Cowboys. It looks as if he may have known more about Romo's back than what we have been hearing. Orton seemed very comfortable with being paid to carry around the clipboard. Perhaps he knew he would most likely be seeing significant time this coming season. As a result of Orton's decision, the Cowboys picked up Brandon Weeden. I guess we'll see in the next few weeks...

regaleagle
08-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Has anybody considered just jumping ship to the Texans thread this season, Ha Ha. At least there's no disdain for the ownership and generally how the franchise is operated.

cougartino
08-05-2014, 01:27 AM
Has anybody considered just jumping ship to the Texans thread this season, Ha Ha. At least there's no disdain for the ownership and generally how the franchise is operated.

I don't have any disdain for the owner, just the GM.

coach
08-05-2014, 09:41 AM

yea, lets jump on a bandwagon that went 2-14 last year.

caleb_mccaig
08-05-2014, 10:00 AM
yea, lets jump on a bandwagon that went 2-14 last year.

Exactly, at least the Cowboys haven't been the worse team in the league in awhile.

The only that irks me is how everyone is still going on and on about J.J. Watt. Cool dude, you were the best player on the worst team in the league.

Farmersfan
08-05-2014, 12:54 PM

In my opinion the biggest problem with this Cowboy's team is the constant .500 mentality. They don't get good enough draft picks to really change the team much and every year there are a few positive things that J.J. hangs his hat on to prevent him from making wholesale changes. A 2-14 season would probably the best thing that could happen to this franchise....

Bullaholic
08-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Uh Oh---Looks Like ol' Jerry has got more problems than just with the team---seems like somebody posted up some racy photos of JJ having some questionable fun with a couple of young ladies. Well, we can always hope that Mrs. JJ will bring suit and have Jerry declared mentally unfit to run the team, and then she will take it over....I don't think she could do worse....:D

Bullaholic
08-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Uh Oh---Looks Like ol' Jerry has got more problems than just with the team---seems like somebody posted up some racy photos of JJ having some questionable fun with a couple of young ladies. Well, we can always hope that Mrs. JJ will bring suit and have Jerry declared mentally unfit to run the team, and then she will take it over....I don't think she could do worse....:D

Waiting to see if this turns out to be a hoax----that's why I didn't post a link---seems like some of the players in this story are a little left of plumb....

Roughneck93
08-05-2014, 06:29 PM

Waiting to see if this turns out to be a hoax----that's why I didn't post a link---seems like some of the players in this story are a little left of plumb....

:thinking:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--BH7urKWf--/hr4c2k8obrxcejhbzf1f.jpg

cougartino
08-05-2014, 08:17 PM
This is fake. The shadow on his head does not match her silhouette. Notice his body is oblique but his head is straight, yet his right cheek is missing.

Macarthur
08-06-2014, 08:58 AM
I disagree. I think the pic looks legit.

It's really irrelvant, IMO, because this type of behavior is pretty well known about JJ. He's a known party animal and likes the ladies. I know a guy that was his former pilot. :1omg!:

caleb_mccaig
08-06-2014, 09:53 AM
No idea if the picture is legit, but Mike Fisher and a lot of the guys in the media who are familiar with Jerry Jones have come out and said that it's not a big deal and that things like this always happen with Jerry. Apparently he's a hardcore partier. They also said Jerry doesn't look like he does in the pictures anymore and that they're probably 4-5 years old.

Emerson1
08-06-2014, 11:19 AM
I think it's been confirmed that the picture is a few years old.

Need some help from the Austin/Hill Country/Burnet people.

I am going to be at Inks Lake tomorrow night during the pre-season game. On the Cowboys' Web site it says the pre-season games can be viewed on CBS 11. So not sure if it's going to be shown down that way. Any idea if it's showing on CBS or a CBS affiliate?

GrTigers6
08-06-2014, 11:52 AM

I am going to be at Inks Lake tomorrow night during the pre-season game. On the Cowboys' Web site it says the pre-season games can be viewed on CBS 11. So not sure if it's going to be shown down that way. Any idea if it's showing on CBS or a CBS affiliate?
NFL Network is advertising it but it may be a tape delay.

Cam
08-06-2014, 01:36 PM

Oh wow!..you gonna be my neighbor for a day??.....I have DISH. Looks like it will be televised locally on 42 which is KEYE and also 154 which is NFL Network..

KEYE TV Channel 42 has been proud to serve Central Texas since 1982. Television station Channel 42 debuted as KBVO in December 1982 as an independent station owned locally. In 1987, KBVO became a FOX affiliate. In 1995, Granite Broadcasting bought the station. Soon after, it became a CBS affiliate and started a news operation. The call letters changed to KEYE. In 1999, CBS bought the station. In 2000, Viacom merged with CBS becoming KEYE TV's parent company. In 2006, CBS and Viacom split making CBS 42 part of the CBS Television Stations group. In May 2007, Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. bought KEYE TV and created the Four Points Media Group. In May 2009, Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc. began managing the Four Points stations. In 2009, KEYE TV launched a second channel, Telemundo Austin. It features Spanish-language network programming and local news. In October 2011, Sinclair Broadcasting Group purchased the station......In December 2012, panfan was arrested for urinating on the front steps of the station....something about not giving Liberty Hill enough coverage!.....
....hope that answers your question!!....:vrycnfsd:

Scoop27
08-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Doubt it will be shown on the Houston Market on DirecTV

Eagle 1
08-07-2014, 08:42 PM
8-8 if we are lucky.

Is Jerry Jones kin to Bill Clinton? I noticed he hasn't been around since this picture surfaced.

cougartino
08-09-2014, 12:04 AM
Cowboys problems are:

1. No knowledgeable GM
2. No bonnafide head coach
3. Not enough NFL caliber defensive players

cougartino
08-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Scandrick is suspended for the first 4 games. I wonder is Falanda Newton available?

Gen.Pat
08-12-2014, 08:16 AM
I am convinced the Boys are done as long as JERRY keeps his job as GM .

Farmersfan
08-12-2014, 08:31 AM

I've never really believed this in the past but now I'm beginning to believe the culture within this organization is tainted...................

GodleyEast
08-12-2014, 08:43 AM
If you like warm butter, then you will like the Cowboys defense.

cougartino
08-12-2014, 09:36 AM

I've been saying it for years. Wish Bill Pollian could take over for about 5 years. We'd be in the Super Bowl.

Emerson1
08-12-2014, 09:40 AM
You people do know the next "official" GM will be Steven Jones? He pretty much runs the team now anyways.

cougartino
08-12-2014, 10:08 AM
You people do know the next "official" GM will be Steven Jones? He pretty much runs the team now anyways.

Oh we know. And that curly headed kid you see in the booth is Stephen's son. LAWD!!!!!!

Cam
08-14-2014, 01:20 PM
this article just depressed me!....:(........hey, maybe we'll get the number one pick in next year's draft!!!....I feel better now....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20140813-dallas-cowboys-defense-isn-t-a-pretty-picture-but-show-must-go-on.ece

cougartino
08-14-2014, 04:26 PM
this article just depressed me!....:(........hey, maybe we'll get the number one pick in next year's draft!!!....I feel better now....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20140813-dallas-cowboys-defense-isn-t-a-pretty-picture-but-show-must-go-on.ece

And some of my fellow Cowboys fans think this team is all that and a bag of chips.

Roughneck93
08-16-2014, 06:48 PM

http://giant.gfycat.com/GroundedPoshBarebirdbat.gif

:foul:

http://giant.gfycat.com/KindlyIllustriousEeve.gif

Diocletian
08-28-2014, 05:09 AM
http://images.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/BboA6y5IcAAqL2e.jpg-large-500x669.jpeg

coach
08-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Anybody want to talk Dallas Cowboys? We can get into deep discussions about how 4 of their 8 loses were due to stupid late game QB mistakes.............. :speech::smoker:

We havent even taken a snap yet and you are already blaming Romo? I like it!!! Bring it FF. I am ready for another year of intelligent arguments between us!

Bullaholic
08-28-2014, 01:03 PM
My standard Cowboys rants remain:

1. Too many years of JJ messing with the herd.

2. Too many years of JJ giving end-of-playing-life marquee players big multi-year deals.

3. Too many years of JJ bargain hunting by trading down in the draft too many times with only mild success.

4. Too many years lacking roster continuity and therefore, no leadership in the locker room.

5. Android, yes-man, coach with no hunger or fire in his belly.

At least even JJ has seen the light and the Cowboys are trying to build from within starting with the O-line, but that is going to take several seasons and more if JJ starts meddling with this process.

Cam
08-28-2014, 01:26 PM
....and poor Matt Johnson pulled his hammy's once too many and all the way out the door!......

cougartino
08-31-2014, 08:53 AM
I watched Jerry on Outside the Lines. Just as I've been saying for the past 17 years, it's all about Jerry and his ego. He's not stepping down as GM because he wants to prove others wrong, no matter how long it takes. He also said stadiums are for TV. I've been in AT&T. It's not a stadium for the casual fan. Maybe that's one of the reasons the record there is dismal, no real home field advantage. Yeah, the hell with the fans!