PDA

View Full Version : Close school rivals not playing each other this season

Scoop27
07-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Looked at Louise's football and noticed they are not playing Ganado this year. The towns are less than 10 miles apart in both in Class A but different divisions.
They played the past two years.
The only way I figure that they are not playing is because of Ganado dominating the series.

Are there any other neighboring towns that are close and not playing each other for reasons unknown

panfan
07-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Looked at Louise's football and noticed they are not playing Ganado this year. The towns are less than 10 miles apart in both in Class A but different divisions.
They played the past two years.
The only way I figure that they are not playing is because of Ganado dominating the series.

Are there any other neighboring towns that are close and not playing each other for reasons unknown

LH and Burnet are not playing each other in district this year for the first time in a very long time. I went back and looked and it appears that LH and Burnet have been playing each other every season since 1984. I don't know who has the lead in the series. UIL really screwed this one up in my opinion. But if both teams are worth their salt, they will see each other in post district play.

cougartino
07-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Good thread. I don't care what the classifications are, La Marque, Texas City, and Galveston Ball have to play each other. The fans would start WWIII if they discontinued these.

Clash of the Causeway I, LM v Ball
Clash of the Causeway II, TC v Ball
Battle by the Bay, LM v TC

Rabid Cougar
07-23-2014, 12:04 PM
China Spring vs Glen Rose. I just don't know how to take this.

caleb_mccaig
07-23-2014, 12:12 PM
China Spring vs Glen Rose. I just don't know how to take this.

What's that series at over the past ten years? I know Glen Rose has a won few in recent years.

Rabid Cougar
07-23-2014, 12:25 PM
What's that series at over the past ten years? I know Glen Rose has a won few in recent years.

They won ONE game.

caleb_mccaig
07-23-2014, 12:45 PM
They won ONE game.

Good old Glen Rose. I know their coach always gives me hell whenever I seem him at 7 on 7 stuff for being from CS, it's pretty hilarious.

Scoop27
07-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Good to see Boling playing Needville again this year
They were bitter rivals back in the 60s and 70s and had several district battles before the Jays moved up a Class

Aesculus gilmus
07-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Gilmer and Gladewater won't be meeting this season unless it's in the playoffs.

I think it may just be no one got around to scheduling this game because all sane observers thought they'd be in the same district. Instead, Gilmer was sent west.

WOS87
07-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Bridge City and West Orange-Stark aren't playing each other even though they are both 4A and only 5 miles apart but in different divisions. Bridge City has never beaten WO-S though so... not a huge rivalry.

Rabid Cougar
07-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Good old Glen Rose. I know their coach always gives me hell whenever I seem him at 7 on 7 stuff for being from CS, it's pretty hilarious.

He is a good guy too. I know he is on here too. He knew me by my Downlow handle.

speedbump
07-23-2014, 08:38 PM
LH and Burnet are not playing each other in district this year for the first time in a very long time. I went back and looked and it appears that LH and Burnet have been playing each other every season since 1984. I don't know who has the lead in the series. UIL really screwed this one up in my opinion. But if both teams are worth their salt, they will see each other in post district play.

According to Lone Star Football Network, Burnet leads the series 29-13-6 with LH winning six of the last eight.

slingshot
07-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Wonder when the last time Wylie and Sweetwater did not play? 40 miles apart--that's just a hop, skip and a jump out here...

PhiI C
07-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Sinton had several rivals that dropped the competition when they dropped to 2A but I don't blame them based on their lack of success against us. These include Taft, Odem, Mathis and Aransas Pass.

Rabid Cougar
07-24-2014, 01:18 PM
According to Lone Star Football Network, Burnet leads the series 29-13-6 with LH winning six of the last eight.

But your traded LH for 106 mile Hill Country drive to China Spring!

panfan
07-24-2014, 01:42 PM

That can't be right. If they have only played each other every year since 1984, then that's 30 games.

Cam
07-24-2014, 01:52 PM
But your traded LH for 106 mile Hill Country drive to China Spring!

...as long as we post a "W" I'm good with the drive!.....

Cam
07-24-2014, 01:56 PM
That can't be right. If they have only played each other every year since 1984, then that's 30 games.

....let's just say 29-1 and we'll call it a day!.....:D

bag-o-chips
07-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Navarro 4a d2 and Marion 3a d1 will not play this year. The series was revived a few years ago and Navarro has won every one. Marion when it was bigger than Navarro used to win most of the time. They are 11 miles apart in the same county. Marion said Navarros getting to big 560 or so pop. but Marion has scheduled Canyaon Lake and Yoakum. Go figure!

speedbump
07-24-2014, 03:38 PM

Actually they have played since 1994 with Burnet leading in those 20 games 11 - 9. They didn't play in 92 or 93.

panfan
07-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Actually they have played since 1994 with Burnet leading in those 20 games 11 - 9. They didn't play in 92 or 93.

I did a bit more digging and came across a newspaper article that researched the rivalry, goes back to 1913. Your original numbers were more representative for the entire time period! Anyway you look at it, LH and Burnet have been playing each other for a LONG time. Will be sad to not have that game as a district game this year.

WOS87
07-24-2014, 09:20 PM

LINK --->Liberty Hill Complete Football History 1913-2009 (http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?96108-Liberty-Hill-Complete-11-man-Football-History-(1913-2009)&p=1267750#post1267750)

I need to update this to the present. But this is the real history. That other site tends to have duplicate games listed and still has quite a few games missing.

WOS87
07-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Wonder when the last time Wylie and Sweetwater did not play? 40 miles apart--that's just a hop, skip and a jump out here...

Click Link --->Sweetwater Complete Football History Thread (http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?96134-Sweetwater-Complete-Football-History-(1909-2009))

speedbump
07-24-2014, 11:18 PM
I did a bit more digging and came across a newspaper article that researched the rivalry, goes back to 1913. Your original numbers were more representative for the entire time period! Anyway you look at it, LH and Burnet have been playing each other for a LONG time. Will be sad to not have that game as a district game this year.

Yea, those district rivalries are fun. El Campo and Bay City have been playing since 1911 and have never missed a year. Some years they played more than once. The Ricebirds and Wharton have been playing just as long but have had a couple of years where they didn't play. Gonna be nice to have BC in district again to keep the longest continuous high school football rivalry in Texas going.

wildstangs
07-25-2014, 08:41 AM

Probably 1999, that was sweetwaters last year in the old 4A. Know they played twice when they weren't in district together since then with Sweetwater winning at least once (maybe both). I can't remember Sweetwater ever beating them in district. Someone correct me if I am wrong, been away from Sweetwater awhile and details are getting fuzzy.

Rabid Cougar
07-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Yea, those district rivalries are fun. El Campo and Bay City have been playing since 1911 and have never missed a year. Some years they played more than once. The Ricebirds and Wharton have been playing just as long but have had a couple of years where they didn't play. Gonna be nice to have BC in district again to keep the longest continuous high school football rivalry in Texas going.

Cameron Vs Rockdale ?????? WOS87 ????

speedbump
07-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Cameron vs Rockdale started in 1911 also,but but there were a few years they didn't play. I think the last time they skipped was 49,50,51 and 52.

buckeyebob
07-25-2014, 09:58 PM
The Biggy...Gilmer & Gladewater...gave us The Buckeyes in 1929...been downhill for them ever since...now, we won't see 'em until late in the playoffs