PDA

View Full Version : California Cuts Full Contact Practices to Twice a Week.

Rabid Cougar
07-22-2014, 08:03 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/21/6571618/jerry-brown-signs-bill-limiting.html

bobcat1
07-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Friday nights are about to be flag football. Pretty soon it won't be allowed to run on any play.... only walk. Wouldn't want anyone to hurt a hamstring. Band will be the tough man sport then.

Leopard4Life
07-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Friday nights are about to be flag football. Pretty soon it won't be allowed to run on any play.... only walk. Wouldn't want anyone to hurt a hamstring. Band will be the tough man sport then.

There are a lot of concussions in 7 on 7. Won't be long before they play with lacrosse style helmets.

Does anyone's school use these:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/30/concussions-college-football-nfl-guardian-caps/2601063/

cougartino
07-23-2014, 10:41 AM
I think they should do a study on the correlation between lesser contact in practices and frequency and severity of injuries since the NFL, NCAA, and prep schools have enacted these such rules. I wonder if there's a significant difference.

caleb_mccaig
07-23-2014, 11:41 AM
I think they should do a study on the correlation between lesser contact in practices and frequency and severity of injuries since the NFL, NCAA, and prep schools have enacted these such rules. I wonder if there's a significant difference.

No contact in mini-camp and look what happened to Sean Lee......

Rabid Cougar
07-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Saw two kids bang heads at a 7 on 7 tournement (ie non contact practice). Both went to the hospital.

There is also such a thing as your body getting used to banging around. (Game shape) Makes big difference in the ability to sustain through a season.

Aesculus gilmus
07-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Only one Buckeye in my lifetime has died from an injury suffered on the football field. I'm sure several have died in traffic accidents, though.

Life is dangerous. Those who come out for football assume the risk. At least this was the way it was back in the day.

I'll never forget being at a game one night and the PA announcer called out a man's name (whose son had played for the Buckeyes a few years before then and broken his back) to come to the press box. They had to tell the man the bad news that his daughter had just been killed in car wreck. I'll bet the broken back seemed pretty irrelevant at that point to the entire family.

Txbroadcaster
07-29-2014, 09:10 AM
Most schools do not do more than a day of real contact anyway during the season.

panfan
07-29-2014, 11:00 AM
Just wondering a couple of things that some folks might have some insights on:

Are concussions more prevalent now in current football or have we just learned to identify it better?

Contact in practices is typically limited to reduce player injury, but has that lack of contact increased injury in games due to players using improper form in tackling (which is when I assume most concussions occur either to tackler or tacklee)?

I read somewhere a study had been conducted that correlated fewer incidents of concussion with increased neck strength. Is there a lack of proper training and or implementation in season and off season to help players strengthening neck muscles (assuming the correlation is true)?

Has anyone seen any studies or comparisons that evaluate the frequency of concussions in football vs rugby? i.e., helmet vs no helmet contact sports?

cougartino
07-29-2014, 11:31 AM
"Are concussions more prevalent now in current football or have we just learned to identify it better?"

I'm no expert but I think the latter part of your question is the answer. When I played, we got head dingers and threw up all the time. We had no idea what they were but was told to shake it off, toughen up, and get back out there. So we did. Because of the dissemination of information, those actions won't fly today. Plus, not that I'm blaming the plaintiff’s bar associations, no one knew there was gold in dem dare hills!

bobcat1
07-29-2014, 05:55 PM
"Are concussions more prevalent now in current football or have we just learned to identify it better?"

I'm no expert but I think the latter part of your question is the answer. When I played, we got head dingers and threw up all the time. We had no idea what they were but was told to shake it off, toughen up, and get back out there. So we did. Because of the dissemination of information, those actions won't fly today. Plus, not that I'm blaming the plaintiff’s bar associations, no one knew there was gold in dem dare hills!
Spot on right there! I can still feel the burn of that smelling salts.