PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Tour de France Updates

PhiI C
07-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Sorry I am late starting as the fourth stage finished today. The first three stages were in England and the one today started in northern France. Three of the stages were for sprinters. Marcel Kittel won all three sprint stages. The great sprinter Mark Cavendish was injured in stage 1 and unfortunately is lost for the tour. There were some climbs in Stage 2 which was won by Vincenzo Nibali who is in first place but he is only 2 seconds ahead of the other main contenders. Tomorrow continues stage 5 and this one is dangerous because it has 15 miles of cobblestone roads which cause crashes and I don't know why they couldn't have chosen safer roads. A few years ago one contender said the directors choose these type of roads probably because they want there to be crashes and bleeding. And the tour is dangerous enough as it is. Tomorrow the contenders will no doubt try to just keep from injury and not lose too much time. Too bad they included these roads.

It is going to be another good tour and it is just beginning. Vive le Tour!

BwdLion73
07-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Tour de England?
:helpme:

PhiI C
07-09-2014, 02:29 PM
As expected Stage 5 was brutal and there were crashes. Last year's champion Chris Froome crashed and is out of the race. Lars Boom won the stage. Nibali is in first place overall but even though he has good time advantage the race is wide open and we still have mountains coming. If it was Froome, Contador or Wiggins with the advantage I would say the race was over but anything can happen. Tomorrow should be a sprinters race but a breakaway might work. I wonder if Team Sky wishes they hadn't snubbed Wiggins.

Trashman
07-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Phil, what about Dave Stoller and the Italians? :D

PhiI C
07-10-2014, 01:28 PM
It turned out to be a sprinter's day today in Stage 6 won by Andre Greipel. No changes overall. Nice there were no cobblestone roads with rain which is dangerous.

Many years ago I was in a small Texas town on the main street and it had been sprinkling so the cobblestone street was damp. I was crossing the street to go to a store and almost slipped and fell forward.

PhiI C
07-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Stage 7 turned out to be a great battle with Matteo Trentin winning by a centimeter over Peter Sagan. Not much change in the overall contenders. Tomorrow is a minor mountain stage. The tour is now 1/3 over.

PhiI C
07-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Stage 8 was a sloppy day with rain and fog but it was a great day for the French as Blel Kadri won the stage and got the lead for the Mountain - Polka Dot Jersey. He was in the five man breakaway that worked even though the peloton caught the other 5 near the end. The overall race now looks like the Americans are not going to contend. I expect it will be between Nibali and Contador but as you know the unexpected at the TDF often happens. Tomorrow is a very brutal mountain stage.

PhiI C
07-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Stage 9 today was a day for the breakaway and what a breakaway it was with a magnificent ride by Tony Martin who easily won the state. He broke away with one rider early in the race then went on his own with about 35 miles left and this while being chased by another breakaway. The main contenders in the peloton let them go as none of them were considered contenders overall. The yellow jersey changed to Frenchman Tony Galopin who is not considered a threat. But this is great for the French because tomorrow is Bastille Day which is a big French holiday and it means lot to them to have one of their own wear it.

Tomorrow will be an even more brutal day with even more difficult times. It will be a big fight between the contenders I believe. This will provide much interest and entertainment. See you then.

PhiI C
07-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Bad news today as Alberto Contador has crashed. He has had to abandon the Tour. He made a good effort to continue but the injury was too much. It is a shame as first it was Froome and now him. :(

We will have a new overall winner now. In fact the top 5 from last year are out.

PhiI C
07-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Vincenzo Ninali won the stage and is the overall winner. It takes some luck to win the Tour. Last year it was Froome that had the good luck and this year it is Nibali. There is still some interesting racing left. Unless a bad crash or something happens the Tour is over as far as the overall winner is concerned. Nibali is the winner this year.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) the riders get a well deserved rest day. Still some more mountain stages to come.

PhiI C
07-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Stage 11 today was won by a strong rider Tony Gallopin who was in a breakaway and no one worried because he is not a main contender but it was exciting as he held off and beat the peloton by one second. The contenders were satisfied to keep everything status quo as this was a Hilly type stage which means it was a mild mountain stage. But there are still 5brutal mountain stages left. Tomorrow is a flat stage which should be won by a sprinter.
The Tour is now just over the halfway mark. Ten stages are left. There are no more hilly stages. There are 5 mountain stages, 4 flat stages and one individual time trial stage which is about 33 3/4 miles long.

zebrablue2
07-16-2014, 08:52 PM
It's the all Phil C thread:) love this time of year, means football is about to begin. Oh, BTW, also love the bike race updates:)

PhiI C
07-17-2014, 09:38 AM
It's the all Phil C thread:) love this time of year, means football is about to begin. Oh, BTW, also love the bike race updates:)

Thank you zebrablue2. Thank goodness we have the TDF to get us through the difficult month of July getting us close to football season.

Right now they are on a flat stage and expect it to be a sprinter's race but there is a breakaway but I think they will be caught before the end of the race.

PhiI C
07-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Simon Clarke is the breakaway leader but he is only a few seconds ahead of the peloton and I think he will be caught. Some unsportsmanship shown by him as he first attached a helper when the helper took a drink. Then in the neutral zone he started to get a bottle of water but decided against it after hitching a short ride. It may come back to haunt him when the judges review it.

PhiI C
07-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Less than ten miles to go. Hang onto your hats!

PhiI C
07-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Two escapees consisting of Gautier and Clarke but they are only 15 seconds ahead of the peloton. Gautier asks Clarke to help in the word but the Australian refuses to the Frenchman attacks.

PhiI C
07-17-2014, 10:37 AM
We are near the end and Greipel is involved in a crash. Everyone appears to be ok but some minor scuffling was involved and the judges will look at that on the replay.

PhiI C
07-17-2014, 10:52 AM
A sprinters' race as expected and won by Alexander Kirstoff followed by Peter Sagon who came in 2nd four times. Sagon may not have another chance to win a stage this year but the Green Jersey is a great consolation. Overall contenders are status quo as expected.

We are in for a treat the last two days of the week as we will be back in the mountains. Nibali is favored now but the other teams have a chance if they work together. We will see.

PhiI C
07-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Our great sport didn't need this. :(

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cycling-briton-tiernan-locke-gets-two-doping-ban-153456392--spt.html

PhiI C
07-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Nibali wins the stage today and he has over 3 minutes on his nearest competitor. He may be thought of winning the TDF by default because of so many contenders crashing out or not competing but after today if he holds on he will be a worthy champion. He won a tough stage and all his teammates were got the last 8 miles and he had to do this alone. Well done Nibali. It isn't over but he will be worthy if he hangs on as I expect. Mountain stage again tomorrow.

Cam
07-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Stage 7 turned out to be a great battle with Matteo Trentin winning by a centimeter over Peter Sagan. Not much change in the overall contenders. Tomorrow is a minor mountain stage. The tour is now 1/3 over.

...good ol' Matteo...I had an uncle named Matteo....sunbitch died....

cougartino
07-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Didn't know they still conducted this race.

PhiI C
07-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Today (Saturday) was the day for Rafel Majka to win a stage which was ok with the contenders since he is far behind them in time. Nibali came in second and now has a great lead of over 4 1/2 minutes over second place. There are several young Frenchmen that are very good and maybe one of them can win this race in the future if they work together and work hard. Tomorrow is a flat stage which should be for the sprinters. Then Monday is rest day. The TDF is 2/3 over for this year.

PhiI C
07-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Today was for the sprinters as expected and it was won by Alexander Kirstoff. No changes in the contenders time gaps but the main battle for them will probably be for second and third places. Tomorrow (Monday) will be another and the last rest day for the riders before the final three brutal mountain stages start Tuesday. Six stages left in the 2014 TDF.

PhiI C
07-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Michael Rodgers won today's state. The breakaway worked as none of them were contenders and the peloton was satisfied to let them go. Nibali maintains his lead and tomorrow is another mountain stage. Today I thought the other contenders and their teams would attack and work together but they didn't.
I am disappointed - very disappointed.

PhiI C
07-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Today's stage was won by Rafel Majka. Nibali came in third despite a crash (which he quickly got up from) and he is now almost 5 1/2 minutes ahead of second place. Tomorrow is the last brutal mountain stage.

PhiI C
07-24-2014, 08:18 AM
The last mountain stage has started. There is a breakaway about 5 minutes ahead but none of them are contenders so they may let them go. This is a brutal stage but it could be worse as they expect rain. Good heavens there is a bear on the side of the road! I hope it is a stuffed one.

PhiI C
07-24-2014, 09:49 AM
They are near the final climb. The leaders are one minute ahead of the peloton. I think they will be caught. Nibali is doing a great job in the peloton.

PhiI C
07-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Niboli has caught and passed them. He is blowing away the competition. Indeed a worthy winner. It is fantastic. It is most likely he will win the stage as it is nearing the end.

PhiI C
07-24-2014, 10:09 AM
About 3 miles left. Nibali is going great guns! The other contenders are racing for second and third place which will most likely be decided today. Majka is second place in today's race behind Nibali. He is not a contender for the yellow jersey but he wants to get the polka dot jersey.

PhiI C
07-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Nibali has a good lead with only a half mile left. The fight is for the other 2 places and it is possible it won't be decided until Saturday's individual time trial which is about 33 3/4 miles long.

PhiI C
07-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Nibali wins the stage and has gained time on his rivals. This was indeed his year. Of course his team was lucky as well as him but he is a worthy winner. But it was an unusual year because due to crashes we lost several contenders and former winners which include Froome, Contador and Andy Schlect. Last years second place winner was the great young Nairo Quintanna who participated in another event perhaps a wise move to avoid the cobbler roads which should never have been included. Former winner Wiggins was snubbed by his team even though he was willing to work for Froome. What a big mistake that was. If these things hadn't happened I think we would have had a more closer and more interesting overall race but I still feed that this was Nibali's year. He has done magnificent.

PhiI C
07-24-2014, 11:53 AM
There are 3 stages left and Nibali should easily win it now unless something unexpected like a crash happens. He just needs to stay safe and coast and it is his easily. Tomorrow's stage will probably be for the sprinters since it is a flat stage. Then Saturday is the 33 3/4 mile individual time trial. Then it concludes Sunday with the traditional non competitive ride into Paris where near the end the Sprinters get to spring for final glory in winning the last stage.

The Green (sprinter's) jersey has all been but won by Peter Sagan as he has a commanding lead. Mathematically he should be caught but it would be difficult and highly unlikely.

I think Rafel Makja hs cinched the Polka (King of the Mountains for best climber) jersey.

Right now the White Jersey for best young rider is worn by the young French rider Thibaut Pinot who is also in second overall place. His fellow countryman is behind him and his name is Romain Bardet and he is in fifth place overall. These two Frenchmen should have a great future and if they get the ride supporting team and directors could end France's drought of not having a TDF winner since 1985. It is promising for the French.

PhiI C
07-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Today should be a day for the sprinters and Peter Sagan may go for it but he needs to be careful because no one can catch for the green jersey. We will see.

PhiI C
07-25-2014, 09:56 AM
It is raining but an elephant is by the side of the road encouraging the riders. He is part of a local circus.

PhiI C
07-25-2014, 09:59 AM
About five miles left in the stage. It looks like a sprinter's race as expected.

PhiI C
07-25-2014, 10:04 AM
OMG! Crash!

PhiI C
07-25-2014, 10:08 AM
A dozen riders crashed taking on a wet corner. Sagan was involved but it looks like the riders are ok to continue. Scary times indeed!

PhiI C
07-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Surprise! The breakaway works and Ramunas Navardaukas wins the stage alone.

PhiI C
07-25-2014, 10:42 AM
No changes overall. Time Trial Tomorrow and then on to Paris.

PhiI C
07-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Today's stage was won by Tony Martin and jersey competition has been decided. Stage 21 (Sunday) concludes the TDF this year but that
will be a formality as the riders ride together in a leisurely celebration mood after 3 brutal weeks. The ending will be exciting as the sprinters race for a stage win at the ending of the stage. Afterward there will be an awards ceremony and no doubt will be awesome.
Nibali wins the yellow jersey, Sagan the green jersey and Majka the polka dot jersey. Thibaut wins the white jersey for best young rider and he also wins third place overall. Two of the top 6 finishers are young Frenchmen so they had good possibilities in the future for the host jersey. Amercan Tejay Van Garderen wins 5th place by 2 seconds because Romain Barlet had a flat near the end and lost precious seconds. Tejay would have possibly been one of the top 3 if he had not had one bad day.
See you tomorrow.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/58227772-77/france-stage-nibali-tour.html.csp

PhiI C
07-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Stage 21 is over and no surprises or overall changes. Marcel Kittle does a great sprint as expected to win the final state. Thus the 2014 TDF concludes. Hopefully all the contenders will have better luck and return next year and we have more thrilling exciting suspenseful race. The last two years have been basically decided in the first 5 stages and hopefully the officials will avoid dangerous cobblestone roads next year. We will see.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nbc-yahoo-sports/vincenzo-nibali-wins-2014-tour-de-france-164758795.html

PhiI C
07-27-2014, 05:42 PM
The 2014 Tour de France is over. We look forward to hopefully have a better one next year. But it has had some entertainment and interest. Now we say farewell to the Tour and thank it for helping us get through the long hot month of July. Now football season is close as we prepare for another great season.

Vive le Tour!

zebrablue2
07-27-2014, 05:54 PM
As at the end of the TDF( :bigcry: ( the all Phil thread ), I will give my final thought. Thanks for the updates, and you are correct, its time for some FOOTBALL.:2thumbsup: