PDA

View Full Version : U.S. OPEN: Pinehurst #2 Says Hello

regaleagle
06-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Except to Martin Kaymer, that is. He was the one saying hello, watch this, take that, and see you later boyz. I've played this particular course at Pinehurst(when I was in my mid-30's) and I can tell you it is all a true low handicapper could ever wish for.....for one of the greatest tests in golf. Back then, the course was pretty much original design before some changes were made later. Now they have taken it back to that design again as much as possible, with a few improvements. Kudos to double heart transplant golfer Erik Compton on his play this week, as well as little Rickie Fowler for his 2nd place finish. The rest just didn't show up much for one of golf's most storied and greatest tournaments in one of its most hallowed venues. This was the course where Payne Stewart won his Open on the 72nd hole. The course won this week, except against one player.....Martin Kaymer. This is his 2nd major in a year. The ladies will have their US Open here next week as well.....the first time this has ever happened for Men's and Women's US Opens. Martin won the PGA Players Championship earlier this season, so he has won 2 majors in about a month's time. He did it the old fashioned way.....he earned it. This 29 yr. old player from Germany may well become the next top golfer on the tour for years to come. He certainly has the game for it and looks very, very real. What a great performance for Martin Kaymer. And for Erik Compton as well. Rickie Fowler had his lowest finish in a major so far in his young career. I love golf. It's a lifetime sport that I have played since I was 8 yrs. old....now I'm 59 and still carry a single-digit handicap. For those of you that are golfers, you know what I mean.

regaleagle
06-15-2014, 09:09 PM
On a side note.....if you'd like to play Pinehurst's courses, I'd highly recommend the old PineCrest Inn (ask for the Crenshaw suite) as opposed to the Resort facility. It's right there on the grounds and has all the history and feel of experiencing what some of golf's greatest players have also experienced. It is a worthwhile trip. Pinehurst, NC.....check it out.