PDA

View Full Version : Dave Campbell's Texas Football 2014

Roughneck93
06-11-2014, 07:24 PM
So last week Fox Sports Southwest aired Under the Lights: Texas Football Magazine Cover Story '14.

I had it recorded on the DVR and just got around to watching it.

The "Bible" hits shelves on June 20th....

http://www.texasfootball.com/assets/Greg-Tepper/texasfootball/_resampled/resizedimage450569-2014-Cover.jpg

Roughneck93
06-11-2014, 07:31 PM
A few things also revealed on the show....

4A Preseason Poll

Division I

1. Stephenville
2. Navasota
3. Graham
4. Carthage
5. Argyle
6. Kilgore
7. Kennedale
8. Liberty Hill
9. La Vernia
10. Abilene Wylie

Division II

1. La Marque
2. West Orange-Stark
3. Celina
4. Gilmer
5. La Grange
6. Coldspring
7. Gladewater
8. Sinton
9. Tatum
10. Fairfield

Roughneck93
06-11-2014, 07:46 PM
6A Preseason Poll

1. Allen
2. Katy
3. Cedar Hill
4. DeSoto
5. Southlake Carroll
6. Euless Trinity
7. Cibolo Steele
8. Denton Guyer
9. Lake Travis
10. North Shore

5A Preseason Poll

1. Aledo
2. A&M Consolidated
3. Longview
4. Ennis
5. Cedar Park
6. Temple
7. Brenham
8. Tyler John Tyler
9. Abilene Cooper
10. Mansfield Summit

cougartino
06-11-2014, 08:27 PM

4A Preseason Poll

Division I

1. Stephenville
2. Navasota
3. Graham
4. Carthage
5. Argyle
6. Kilgore
7. Kennedale
8. Liberty Hill
9. La Vernia
10. Abilene Wylie

Division II

1. La Marque
2. West Orange-Stark
3. Celina
4. Gilmer
5. La Grange
6. Coldspring
7. Gladewater
8. Sinton
9. Tatum
10. Fairfield

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :weeping:

regaleagle
06-12-2014, 02:29 AM
Argyle's Top Twenty, but not Top Ten this season. I know they don't want to drop us out of the picture, but Argyle will need to work their way up the ladder this year. There's some talented players coming back, but there's a FEW holes to fill also, lol. Argyle will be full of younger players this season, but most have lots of minutes. They will be one of those teams to keep your eye on as the season progresses. Cooper Rodgers(Coach Rodgers' son) will be in his senior season, and finally will be the starter. He's got as much experience as some two-year starters, though. I think the Eagles should be able to go 2-3 rounds deep this season, but they could also get knocked off early....just depends on the rest of the region and the draw.

regaleagle
06-12-2014, 02:38 AM
When you compare the classification to the previous years, a Top Five in your division equates to about 10th before the split divisions took place. So I guess it's easier now to make the Top Ten.....there's less schools to compete against in your division for that ranking. It's just simple math 101. They didn't double the classification. So under these "new" circumstances, maybe Argyle should be Top Ten in their division, but perhaps #5 is being a wee bit too gracious.

On a side note, Argyle went Division I by less than 5 students....so they are one of the smallest schools in the Big School division, enrollmentwise.

Celina8
06-12-2014, 04:34 AM
I am not convinced we belong at number 3 as the past two years we have struggled and for us to be ranked ahead of Gilmer makes no sense. I imagine this says more about the weakness of our new region than anything else. I did notice that Tatum got some love and I know they have been mentioned by one poster on here as a team to keep an eye on.

Dawgs
06-12-2014, 07:26 AM
When you compare the classification to the previous years, a Top Five in your division equates to about 10th before the split divisions took place. So I guess it's easier now to make the Top Ten.....there's less schools to compete against in your division for that ranking. It's just simple math 101. They didn't double the classification. So under these "new" circumstances, maybe Argyle should be Top Ten in their division, but perhaps #5 is being a wee bit too gracious.

On a side note, Argyle went Division I by less than 5 students....so they are one of the smallest schools in the Big School division, enrollmentwise.

Carthage and Argyle have alot of similarities this season. Both teams were very close to the cutoff mark in DI, and both have alot of holes to fill. I have a hard time believing that Carthage is a top 5 team to start the season. Now, by the time the playoffs get kicked off, Surratt will no doubt have that train rolling. Carthage is going to have a stout defense this year...STOUT. I expect by the time district rolls around we should have one of the top units in the state. Our big concern is going to be on offense. When you lose the All Time passing, rushing, and receiving leaders in school history, plus another DI WR, and 5 - 3 year starters off the O-Line you have nowhere to go but down. This is going to be a fun year watching our boys learn to play together, and developing there own identity. I am for one excited about the upcoming season. The last 2 years with so much pressure on 15, 16, and 17 year old young men was hard at times. I am glad we can get a fresh start, and give the young men of this years team the benefit of the doubt without all the pressure. Should be a fun year in DI. Looks like a tough division by judging the top 10.

buckeyebob
06-12-2014, 07:38 AM
I am not convinced we belong at number 3 as the past two years we have struggled and for us to be ranked ahead of Gilmer makes no sense. I imagine this says more about the weakness of our new region than anything else. I did notice that Tatum got some love and I know they have been mentioned by one poster on here as a team to keep an eye on.

Yep...but you need to keep an eye on them not for athletic reasons...they are horrible

Saggy Aggie
06-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Columbia's got a couple studs that will be a year older this year.... Is Dakarius a jr or sr now...?

SHSBulldog00
06-12-2014, 09:52 AM

4A Preseason Poll

Division I

1. Stephenville
2. Navasota
3. Graham
4. Carthage
5. Argyle
6. Kilgore
7. Kennedale
8. Liberty Hill
9. La Vernia
10. Abilene Wylie

Division II

1. La Marque
2. West Orange-Stark
3. Celina
4. Gilmer
5. La Grange
6. Coldspring
7. Gladewater
8. Sinton
9. Tatum
10. Fairfield

Thanks for the info. I am glad you let me know the release date.

orange machine
06-12-2014, 12:54 PM

I figured Celina would be a top 10 team, but not above Gilmer.

panfan
06-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Is it really 27 bucks??? next question - is it worth it? Just curious

Celina8
06-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Is it really 27 bucks??? next question - is it worth it? Just curious

If it really is $27 then I bought my last issue last year...I can get much better information from here anyway!

Dogman_1969
06-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Someone please post 3a rankings.

Thanks

speedbump
06-12-2014, 04:32 PM
If it really is $27 then I bought my last issue last year...I can get much better information from here anyway!

It's 10.95 off the rack.

Roughneck93
06-12-2014, 04:49 PM

Thanks

3A Division I

1. Hallettsville
2. Cameron Yoe
3. New Boston
4. Rockdale
5. Wall
6. Daingerfield
7. Lago Vista
8. Kirbyville
9. Teague
10. Grandview

Division II

1. Waskom
2. Cisco
3. Newton
4. Franklin
5. Rogers
6. Corrigan-Camden
7. Sonora
8. Kirbyville
9. East Bernard
10. Gunter

Roughneck93
06-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Columbia's got a couple studs that will be a year older this year.... Is Dakarius a jr or sr now...?

Junior

Roughneck93
06-12-2014, 04:58 PM
2A Division I

1. Mart
2. Refugio
3. Canadian
4. Hico
5. Centerville
6. Shiner
7. Mason
8. Stratford
9. Goldwaite
10. Crawford

Division II

1. Tenaha
2. Albany
3. Bremond
4. Falls City
5. Chilton
6. Iraan
7. Seagraves
8. Muenster
9. Hamlin
10. Booker

WOS87
06-12-2014, 07:56 PM
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :weeping:

YAY!!!!! No target on us! :smoker:

HEMOTOXIC
06-12-2014, 08:53 PM
3A Division I

1. Hallettsville
2. Cameron Yoe
3. New Boston
4. Rockdale
5. Wall
6. Daingerfield
7. Lago Vista
8. Kirbyville
9. Teague
10. Grandview

Division II

1. Waskom
2. Cisco
3. Newton
4. Franklin
5. Rogers
6. Corrigan-Camden
7. Sonora
8. Kirbyville
9. East Bernard
10. Gunter

Wow, Kirbyville must be really good. Heck they are ranked in both divisions, lol.

SHSBulldog00
06-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Wow, Kirbyville must be really good. Heck they are ranked in both divisions, lol.

They probably had so many players they split them into a D1 and D2 teams, lol!

Rocket Man
06-12-2014, 10:29 PM

Yet

Y'all are so good each year that it will only be a matter of time before WOS cracks the top ten.

cougartino
06-12-2014, 11:59 PM

We have a booger of a non district schedule so chances are we'll drop out of the top 5, maybe top 10 altogether. But I'll trade that for being ranked #1 or #2 after Week 16 all day.

WOS87
06-13-2014, 01:36 AM
Yet

Y'all are so good each year that it will only be a matter of time before WOS cracks the top ten.

That's cute...

toddg
06-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Not bad top 10s...it's always interesting to talk and think about..this upcoming season will be very interesting for sure

slingshot
06-13-2014, 09:46 AM
#10 looks about right for Wylie... if a servicable QB emerges from the mix look out--we are otherwise loaded.

Leopard4Life
06-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Did you catch the 5A preseason rankings?

panfan
06-13-2014, 12:41 PM
It's 10.95 off the rack.

That's a much better price - Wonder why the one place I looked up had it so dang High. Thanks

Bosqueville
06-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Did you catch the 5A preseason rankings?

1. Aledo
2. A&M Consolidated
3. Longview
4. Ennis
5. Cedar Park
6. Temple
7. Brenham
8. John Tyler
9. Abilene Cooper
10. Timberview
11. George Ranch
12. Lufkin
13. South Oak Cliff
14. Poteet
15. Georgetown

toddg
06-13-2014, 09:49 PM
1. Aledo
2. A&M Consolidated
3. Longview
4. Ennis
5. Cedar Park
6. Temple
7. Brenham
8. John Tyler
9. Abilene Cooper
10. Timberview
11. George Ranch
12. Lufkin
13. South Oak Cliff
14. Poteet
15. Georgetown

The only way to beat Aledo this year is to out score them...that ain't happening... not this season

Saggy Aggie
06-13-2014, 09:57 PM
George ranch is a new hs and they have quickly become very competitive in almost every sport, especially baseball and football

Aggie98
06-13-2014, 10:23 PM
The only way to beat Aledo this year is to out score them...that ain't happening... not this season

Would love to see a Longview/Aledo matchup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddg
06-13-2014, 10:29 PM

Haven't heard much about the Lobos lately...any insight?

cowboyandchrist
06-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Do not let last year fool you, they will be in for a game if they meet up with the Longview Lobos. If you have ever heard of East Texas speed, those Lobos are the very meaning of speed. They will be in the hunt this year as they are every year.

cowboyandchrist
06-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Carthage and Argyle have alot of similarities this season. Both teams were very close to the cutoff mark in DI, and both have alot of holes to fill. I have a hard time believing that Carthage is a top 5 team to start the season. Now, by the time the playoffs get kicked off, Surratt will no doubt have that train rolling. Carthage is going to have a stout defense this year...STOUT. I expect by the time district rolls around we should have one of the top units in the state. Our big concern is going to be on offense. When you lose the All Time passing, rushing, and receiving leaders in school history, plus another DI WR, and 5 - 3 year starters off the O-Line you have nowhere to go but down. This is going to be a fun year watching our boys learn to play together, and developing there own identity. I am for one excited about the upcoming season. The last 2 years with so much pressure on 15, 16, and 17 year old young men was hard at times. I am glad we can get a fresh start, and give the young men of this years team the benefit of the doubt without all the pressure. Should be a fun year in DI. Looks like a tough division by judging the top 10.

You are right on the money with the Dawgs this year. This maybe the first time since coach S has been at Carthage that he will have to start from scratch on the O side of the ball. The D side will be one of the best in the state. I will be holding my breath on every play this year, but if any coach can get the best out of a young man, coach S is the man.

Aggie98
06-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Haven't heard much about the Lobos lately...any insight?

Longview always has ridiculous talent, but I'm hearing this year they are really loaded.... especially on offense. The last time they dropped they lost back-to-back state title games to LT. They just might get over that hump this year.

Leopard4Life
06-17-2014, 01:08 PM

Any chance Aledo goes D2?

Phantom Stang
06-17-2014, 05:15 PM
That's a much better price - Wonder why the one place I looked up had it so dang High. Thanks

The $27 price was probably a red herring to make folks glad to pay $10.95 for a six dollar book.

Aggie98
06-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Any chance Aledo goes D2?

I think it's highly likely that Aledo goes D2.

Rabid Cougar
06-18-2014, 04:29 PM

Thanks

Dont' worry, Cameron is No.1. D1.

Roughneck93
06-21-2014, 01:13 PM
How DCTF sees 12-4A DI finishing....

1. El Campo
2. Stafford
3. Columbia
4. Brazosport
5. Bay City
6. Needville

Roughneck93
06-21-2014, 01:21 PM
DCTF 4A semifinals and finals predictions....

DI

Region 1: Stephenville over Graham
Region 2: Argyle over Kennedale
Region 3: Navasota over Kilgore
Region 4: Liberty Hill over La Vernia
Championship: Stephenville over Navasota

DII

Region 1: Celina over Monahans
Region 2: Gilmer over Coldspring
Region 3: La Marque over West Orange-Stark
Region 4: Sinton over Cuero
Championship: La Marque over Celina

WOS87
06-21-2014, 05:16 PM
DCTF 4A semifinals and finals predictions....

DI

Region 1: Stephenville over Graham
Region 2: Argyle over Kennedale
Region 3: Navasota over Kilgore
Region 4: Liberty Hill over La Vernia
Championship: Stephenville over Navasota

DII

Region 1: Celina over Monahans
Region 2: Gilmer over Coldspring
Region 3: La Marque over West Orange-Stark
Region 4: Sinton over Cuero
Championship: La Marque over Celina

Oh we would SO love for WOS vs LaMarque to happen. It's been 14 years. Last met in the 2000 4A D2 Quarters with WOS winning 10-6. :cool:

Phantom Stang
06-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Sweetwater, Blackwell are given playoff nods
June 23, 2014
By
Ron Howell
sweetwatersports1@yahoo.com

A six-year playoff drought will end this season for the Sweetwater football team.
So says Dave Campbell’s Texas Football magazine, which is now available on newsstands and is predicting that the Mustangs will finish second in their new district (2-4A, Division II) to Monahans in 2014. The last time Sweetwater made the playoffs was 2008.
Blackwell — the only Nolan County school to reach the postseason each of the last two years — will make it again in 2014, according to the magazine. The Hornets are picked to finish second in their new district (7-1A, Division II) to Loraine.

The news is not so good for Roscoe and Highland.
The Plowboys are picked to finish last in their new district (6-2A, Division II), which also includes Winters, Menard, Roby, Bronte and Miles.
Highland doesn’t fare a lot better as the Hornets are picked to finish third — one spot from the playoffs — in District 7-1A, Division I that also includes Ira, Hermleigh and Westbrook.

Sweetwater’s senior defensive back Isaiah McGee is District 2-4A, Division II’s preseason defensive MVP. Receiver Bray Amos (1,067 yards, 19 TDs) and quarter-back Kaegan Jeffrey (2,752 yards, 34 TDs) also return for Sweetwater. Amos and McGee each earned all-state recognition in 2013.

Blackwell’s Charlie Cano is District 7-1A, Division II’s preseason defensive MVP as his team tries for its third straight playoff appearance in a district that now also includes Trent and Moran. Receiver Gaga Soedarsono (490 yards, 10 TDs) and QB Jacob Richburg (959 yards, 16 TDs) are among returning players for Highland.
Roscoe returns nine offensive and 10 defensive starters, including quarter-back Cutter Davila (2,296 yards, 26 TDs) and receiver Rafael Aguayo (512 yards, 8 TDs) for second-year head coach Jake Freeman.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/sw-blackwell-are-given-playoff-nods

bd62
06-26-2014, 10:51 PM
I agree especially since the Hallettsville QB is now at Goliad. He was outstanding last year .a great leader and had great passing numbers last yr. Dad's contract for principal 2 yrs ago was not renewed and he was assigned to another position last yr. Don't know the Dad's position in Goliad but the kid will surely help that program.

Celina8
06-28-2014, 09:42 AM
I will be honest and say that I have scanned over the magazine and for the first time in over 25 years I will pass on purchasing it. I just don't feel it is the magazine it once was .

Yoe_09
06-28-2014, 10:27 AM
I agree especially since the Hallettsville QB is now at Goliad. He was outstanding last year .a great leader and had great passing numbers last yr. Dad's contract for principal 2 yrs ago was not renewed and he was assigned to another position last yr. Don't know the Dad's position in Goliad but the kid will surely help that program.

He will be the principal: http://www.advosports.com/news/2014/may/23/mf_kowalik_052414_240385/

I would have to agree with you. Replacing over 3,500 yards and 40+ TD's will not be easy. Someone had told me that the QB was not that important to the Hallettsville offense, and I had to disagree. IMO, they tried to stay balanced, which is what made them dangerous. Look at the stats from their strongest non-district opponents/playoffs:

Yoakum
Passing: 178
Rushing: 251

Shiner
Passing: 195
Rushing: ?

Altair Rice
Passing: 185
Rushing: 169

Edna
Passing: 248
Rushing: 65

Hempstead
Passing: 246
Rushing: 78

Lago Vista
Passing: 352
Rushing: 84

Jourdanton
Passing: 147
Rushing: 175

McGregor
Passing: 334
Rushing: 232

Cameron Yoe
Passing: 345
Rushing: 54

The backup QB stepping up into the starting roll could not miss a beat, but only time will tell there. I still believe Hallattesville should be the favorite out of region IV. Hempstead is probably the closest at this point.