PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer & the New Transfer

buckeyebob
06-11-2014, 07:31 AM
Troup HC Dennis Alexander confirmed there is good chance star athlete & Baylor commit Blake Lynch will transfer to Gilmer. This is creating quite the stir.

Rabid Cougar
06-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Why is that?

D'Highlander
06-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Why is that?

Athletic reasons...

Rabid Cougar
06-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Athletic reasons...

Obviously, so why is it causing a stir? It happens. We lost two D1 players (to FW All Saints and Allen) the last two years for athletic reasons.

lostaussie
06-11-2014, 10:39 AM
:doh:

waterboy
06-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Athletic reasons...

Apparently not for athletic reasons. The details haven't come out yet, but Smoaky says it is a legit move, and is not for athletic reasons. Even Coach Alexander has said it wasn't for athletic reasons. If it were for athletic reasons I can guarantee you Coach Alexander would be the first to call foul. We'll see how it shakes out. D1 transfers always get more negative attention when they move to a successful program in their prospective sport. I can guarantee it will all be legal by UIL rules or he won't get to play in Gilmer. I can guarantee the Buckeyes will be good either way.

Snotbubbles
06-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Obviously, so why is it causing a stir? It happens. We lost two D1 players (to FW All Saints and Allen) the last two years for athletic reasons.

Yeah, no biggy. Happens all over the place, all the time. Sure he isn't the first (nor the last) to transfer to Gilmer for football reasons. I guess I've missed the "stir" post's over this on here. Nice recruit signing Gilmer.

waterboy
06-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Yeah, no biggy. Happens all over the place, all the time. Sure he isn't the first (nor the last) to transfer to Gilmer for football reasons. I guess I've missed the "stir" post's over this on here. Nice recruit signing Gilmer.

Gilmer does NOT recruit. We can't help there are players out there that move here. If it's all done legally by UIL rules there shouldn't be any fuss about it. I can guarantee NO coach at Gilmer has ever recruited. I can't say I blame those students who want to move here, even if the reasons are sometimes questionable. They want to be part of a successful program that fits their skill set, and they will get more attention with a well-known and always scouted program. Oh, well, I guess it comes with the territory. We'll just have to deal with negative comments, even if they are unfounded...

caleb_mccaig
06-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Gilmer does NOT recruit. We can't help there are players out there that move here. If it's all done legally by UIL rules there shouldn't be any fuss about it. I can guarantee NO coach at Gilmer has ever recruited. I can't say I blame those students who want to move here, even if the reasons are sometimes questionable. They want to be part of a successful program that fits their skill set, and they will get more attention with a well-known and always scouted program. Oh, well, I guess it comes with the territory. We'll just have to deal with negative comments, even if they are unfounded...

I think coaches recruiting is extremely rare, but maybe some players. Players in high school, through friendships made through sports, have more to do with people moving to the district than coaches do.

I've seen it first hand.

lostaussie
06-11-2014, 12:11 PM
I remember back in the day when others would get the "move ins" and I would be pissed..............now we are them. Still don't know that I like it because of all the surrounding controversy that goes with it, but i guess it is what it is. When you build a winner, kids want to play for you. Happens all over the state. We just seem to always get the headlines.

waterboy
06-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Yep, and I can understand the negative attention. What I can't figure out is why Gilmer gets that negative attention moreso (it seems) than other schools around the state get. I remember an OL transfer from Elysian Fields to Carthage last year that was a D1 recruit, they win a state championship, and it's never mentioned again. There was very little hoopla about that move, either. But somehow people remember it much longer if it happens at Gilmer. Oh, well..., I can guarantee any transfer will have to satisfy all UIL rules before they ever put on a Buckeye uniform. Our coaching staff will make sure of it.

Dawgs
06-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Yep, and I can understand the negative attention. What I can't figure out is why Gilmer gets that negative attention moreso (it seems) than other schools around the state get. I remember an OL transfer from Elysian Fields to Carthage last year that was a D1 recruit, they win a state championship, and it's never mentioned again. There was very little hoopla about that move, either. But somehow people remember it much longer if it happens at Gilmer. Oh, well..., I can guarantee any transfer will have to satisfy all UIL rules before they ever put on a Buckeye uniform. Our coaching staff will make sure of it.

Wow...Way wrong. Talk about mis-informed post. We had a move in from EF Isiah Golden in 2012 the year we were beat by El Campo in the semis. Only move in I can remember in the Surratt era, or ever for that matter. Carthage grown boys have helped win all of our 4 state championships. I don't care about Gilmer's move ins personally, but there is a significant list of them. Carthage on the other hand has had one. Nice shot in the dark though. Yall dont need anymore skill position players anyway...Yall should worry more about feeding the boys you have. Those 160 lb turf munchers can't get it done in the trenches anymore with the big boys...Ohh wait, you don't play with the big boys anymore. Anyway carry on, just wanted to set the record straight.

Aesculus gilmus
06-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Good point, Dawgs. If I see some big ol' linemen moving into the area in droves, I might be more inclined to believe Gilmer is recrutiing.

I guess linemen don't move as well, in more ways than one.

Dawgs
06-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Good point, Dawgs. If I see some big ol' linemen moving into the area in droves, I might be more inclined to believe Gilmer is recrutiing.

I guess linemen don't move as well, in more ways than one.

Hahaha. I guess so! Good to see a good sense of humor. Regardless of move ins or not Gilmer is going to have a good team year in and year out. They are fortunate like Carthage to have a pipeline of athletes feeding into the school from there own community. I do wonder however where are the big boys at Gilmer. They come out to play in Carthage, and have been the back bone of all 4 state champions. I have to believe those kids are at Gilmer too. What's the deal?

Rabid Cougar
06-11-2014, 02:01 PM
But no one mentions the parents shopping their kids around. Parents have flexibility with employment or school is in same geographical area (ever wonder why Midway is always good but Waco High and University High is not????? Sure not because all the athletes live in Hewitt and Woodway).

Parent with a D1 type walks into the coaches office to ask about the program. What's the coach going to tell them? That isn't "recruiting" though. Our stud Sophmore running back was shopped to Midway and and several metroplex schools. Guess which one won the lottery?

waterboy
06-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Hahaha. I guess so! Good to see a good sense of humor. Regardless of move ins or not Gilmer is going to have a good team year in and year out. They are fortunate like Carthage to have a pipeline of athletes feeding into the school from there own community. I do wonder however where are the big boys at Gilmer. They come out to play in Carthage, and have been the back bone of all 4 state champions. I have to believe those kids are at Gilmer too. What's the deal?

I'm never "mis-informed", just mis-remembering! lol! It doesn't matter, though. The negative comments are what we have to live with when you have a winning program, and someone decides to move here, especially a D1 prospect. From what I understand, there have been some "smallish" classes come through Gilmer, but there are still quite a few big boys that roam the halls. If only they wanted to play football, and had the work ethic to do what it takes to be successful...hmmmm...

caleb_mccaig
06-11-2014, 02:56 PM
I'm never "mis-informed", just mis-remembering! lol! It doesn't matter, though. The negative comments are what we have to live with when you have a winning program, and someone decides to move here, especially a D1 prospect. From what I understand, there have been some "smallish" classes come through Gilmer, but there are still quite a few big boys that roam the halls. If only they wanted to play football, and had the work ethic to do what it takes to be successful...hmmmm...

Everyone is always jealous of a winner.

Rabid Cougar
06-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Everyone is always jealous of a winner.
I am personally 1 and 0 vs Gilmer. I have no reason to be jealous of them.

toddg
06-11-2014, 04:20 PM
But no one mentions the parents shopping their kids around. Parents have flexibility with employment or school is in same geographical area (ever wonder why Midway is always good but Waco High and University High is not????? Sure not because all the athletes live in Hewitt and Woodway).

Parent with a D1 type walks into the coaches office to ask about the program. What's the coach going to tell them? That isn't "recruiting" though. Our stud Sophmore running back was shopped to Midway and and several metroplex schools. Guess which one won the lottery?

why didnt he go to Midway, or Aledo..or All Saints?...why Allen...what was their reasoning? why not just stay put..if he's that good, scouts will find him

lostaussie
06-11-2014, 04:36 PM
I am personally 1 and 0 vs Gilmer. I have no reason to be jealous of them.yes you are:D

Tejastrue
06-11-2014, 07:48 PM
What kind of season did the young man have in 2013? Troup was not very good. Something could be said about wanting to make a change.

Rabid Cougar
06-11-2014, 08:04 PM
yes you are:D

Nope...Floyd Casey, Waco, December 17th 1981. :2thumbsup

Rabid Cougar
06-11-2014, 08:08 PM
why didnt he go to Midway, or Aledo..or All Saints?...why Allen...what was their reasoning? why not just stay put..if he's that good, scouts will find him

I have no idea, but he beat out their rising senior RB. In regards to staying put, I totally agree. It worked for my son and his teammate Mike Hicks.

Rabid Cougar
06-11-2014, 08:11 PM
I do agree with Caleb, generally there are players on the team that have been talking to a transfer.

lostaussie
06-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Nope...Floyd Casey, Waco, December 17th 1981. :2thumbsup
I know what you were talking about. I was there. We don't forget azz kickings like that around here:D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

lostaussie
06-11-2014, 08:49 PM
It was a cold biotch that day!! And the freaking scoreboard broke.

Yoe_09
06-11-2014, 10:06 PM
It was a cold biotch that day!! And the freaking scoreboard broke.

Q1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx5C87L7Qjg
Q2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTog-rleOvc
Q3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oytqV_RJRwI
Q4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TP843hMlWw

But to stay on topic, this would be a huge gain for Gilmer. Lynch is one of the better ones in the state and he would have a direct impact.

lostaussie
06-12-2014, 06:31 AM
Ah, good times. Lots of good memories there. Evidently the forward pass had not been invented then :D Saw lots of old numbers I had not seen in a while. Some still my friend, some in penitentiary and some in the grave.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

buckeyebob
06-12-2014, 07:30 AM

They are out on the field...Gilmer & Upshur County is poor & everyone doesn't get the good nourishing food that the rich get in Carthage & at the Tatum Farm Club...we just have to make the best with whet we have...small undernourished guys are our Big Boys but some of the skinny are pretty fast...I am so ready for Saturday & getting to see the Carthage Beasts again

movethechain
06-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Everyone in the state knew that Gilmer would not call a pass play until after they crossed the 50 yard line. Too easy to defense against us if you were paying attention. Many teams did not notice until too late. Cameron was very good that year regardless.

Dawgs
06-14-2014, 10:54 AM
They are out on the field...Gilmer & Upshur County is poor & everyone doesn't get the good nourishing food that the rich get in Carthage & at the Tatum Farm Club...we just have to make the best with whet we have...small undernourished guys are our Big Boys but some of the skinny are pretty fast...I am so ready for Saturday & getting to see the Carthage Beasts again

Bob, Let me know the results in the Gilmer Carthage game today. Also if you could give some unbiased observations :p on Carthage skill postion players it would be much appreciated. Lot of questions surrounding the Carthage offense this season.

buckeyebob
06-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Bob, Let me know the results in the Gilmer Carthage game today. Also if you could give some unbiased observations :p on Carthage skill postion players it would be much appreciated. Lot of questions surrounding the Carthage offense this season.

Gilmer was in Pool 1 & Carthage was in Pool 2 with Chapel Hill who donkey stomped the Bulldogs (like 40-6)...CH & Bux did not play any after Pool as both were already qualified for State Tourn.

Bulldogs played Diboll for semifinal & lost by TD or less...I did not see them play at all...we were on Stadium Field & they were on Practice Field. I wanted for us to meet but did not happen today...hopefully they will get qualified & maybe can see them in State...then there will be Week 5, Lobo Stadium...ought to be SRO

Aesculus gilmus
06-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Article about the Gilmer SQT:
http://etsn.fm/diboll-sabine-punch-tickets-to-division-ii-7-on-7-state-tournament/

waterboy
06-16-2014, 08:55 AM
I saw Blake Lynch on the sidelines at 7-on-7 SQT in Gilmer Saturday. He's a big young man. He's about 6'3", and looks to be about 185. He'll make a great wideout.

Aesculus gilmus
06-16-2014, 12:07 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Blake-Lynch-148925
You were close.

BTW, I looked at this highlight reel on YouTube the other day and his improvisational running style reminds me a great deal of the way Stump used to run around.
http://youtu.be/vujdQHpU9Wo

Of course, he won't be the Gilmer QB, barring unforeseen circumstances.

I look for him to contribute a lot on defense as well.

waterboy
06-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Great athlete. It'll be interesting to see how Coach Traylor uses him. He could run the wildcat on occasion, be a wideout, play corner, safety, return kicks, etc. The possibilities are endless. He did remind me of some of the things Stump did when he was QB.