PDA

View Full Version : Interview at Sealy News Wednesday

Scoop27
06-10-2014, 11:16 AM
I've got an interview at the Sealy News Wednesday to write high school sports in the fall. It's been almost 4 years since I had a full time writing job since leaving the Bay City Tribune. Was at the Wharton Journal-Spectator for almost 35 years

Trashman
06-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Good for you Scoop! Jobs are hard to come by these days; good luck!

bobcat1
06-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Good luck Scoop!

Saggy Aggie
06-10-2014, 11:47 AM
I would love to read your stories scoop

zebrablue2
06-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Best of luck Scoop!!!

maestro
06-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Good luck Scoop.

44INAROW
06-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Good Luck Scoop - Keep us posted :)

ronwx5x
06-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Good luck Scoop. Lot of people cheering for you!

LH Panther Mom
06-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Best of luck!

SintonFan_inAustin
06-11-2014, 12:05 AM
Good luck Scoop today!

Scoop27
06-17-2014, 02:36 PM
I have my second interview with the publisher on Wednesday

BwdLion73
06-17-2014, 04:51 PM
I have my second interview with the publisher on Wednesday

Good Luck. Drop our names if you think it will help.....:thinking: ...on second thought you might leave Cams out.

YTBulldogs
06-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Good luck scoop. Put all us down as references.:thumbsup: If not there, go to the Victoria Advocate. That paper needs help with their sports, big time.

Saggy Aggie
06-17-2014, 05:31 PM
I hope you get the job scoop

XMan
06-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Good luck to ya. I saw that the guy that used to write sports at the Sealy News is now the new sports guy at the Colorado County Citizen. Let them know you will do a weekly report on the life and times of ole TJ and you will be sure to get the job!

Saggy Aggie
06-23-2014, 08:00 PM
So.....??????

Bull's-eye
06-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Good luck Scoop!! Tell them you hate Bellville, that should get you the job. Lol

bd62
06-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Hope you get the job Scoop. Need more passion from sport reporters and you have that.Yoakum paper has best High School Sports section I ever seen.
Mike M. Got some of that West blood in him. His grand pa was super sports writer in his day.
For such a sports town Cuero paper is poor and that's being nice. Lots of my friends in Cuero
feel that way also.

Old Green
06-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Hope you get the job Scoop. Need more passion from sport reporters and you have that.Yoakum paper has best High School Sports section I ever seen.
Mike M. Got some of that West blood in him. His grand pa was super sports writer in his day.
For such a sports town Cuero paper is poor and that's being nice. Lots of my friends in Cuero
feel that way also.:ditto:

Scoop27
06-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Had a second interview on Thursday but got a call today that another person go the job instead. Hopefully I can still cover Louise again this fall for the El Campo Leader-News

bobcat1
06-27-2014, 10:28 PM
Dang. Sorry Scoop.

Saggy Aggie
06-28-2014, 01:01 AM
:( :(

XMan
07-02-2014, 03:57 PM
This comes from the Sealy News from special writer Billy Norris:

Can you name the only coach and team that have won four straight State Championships by defeating everyone in their class, but not in the Hall of Fame?

That would be T.J. Mills who led the Sealy Tigers to State Championships in 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997.

Bright Dental instory

Coach Mills has more than surpassed the requirements to be in the Hall of Fame, with at least 15 years of coaching and significantly contributing to the association and profession. Mills finished his career with a 195-77 record, a 71 percent winning percentage, and a play-off record of 32-8 in his 29 years of coaching.

In his 15 years at Sealy, he had 10 District Championships, and from 1993-1996 his Tigers tied the record for consecutive wins with a 35-game winning streak, set the record in 1997 with 24 consecutive playoff wins, and a combined record of 63-1 for those four years.

A good example of his coaching ability was displayed when he had to make adjustments to overcome ACL injuries to the starting quarterbacks in two of the Championship seasons.

In 1996, he used a platoon quarterback system that many said could not be done. The contributions he made include coaching the winning team in the 1998 All-Star Game, serving as Regional Director, All-Star Committeeman, South All-Star Chairman, All-Star Team coach in California in his 35 years as a THSCA member. He was one of two chosen to speak at the Southern California Coaching Association and Riddell Clinic, and he was instrumental in starting the GHFCA in the Houston area.

There are many other contributions ,such as founding the first Endowment Scholarship Program in the state that gives scholarships to graduating seniors. The program began in 1984 and has awarded more than $350,000 to Sealy graduates, and still gives 12 $500 scholarships to Sealy High School seniors every year. While at Odessa, Mills set up the Joe Beene Benefit to honor his player who sustained a spinal cord injury and he remains involved only once missing an event due to health reasons.

Additionally, Coach Mills always showed concern for those with special needs through his involvement with Special Olympics and ensuring that the Sealy Booster Club was a regular contributor. If you played the Tigers, you could not help but notice a young man that area teams know as Raymond, who led the Tigers out at the beginning and halftime of every game. He started the Coach of the Week and Adopt-a-Tiger programs through the Sealy Booster Club to encourage members of the community to take an interest in the varsity players, providing assistance with tutoring and to serve as a system of support for the kids. Many of these former players still have a special relationship with their adoptive parent, which completed his vision for creating a total program at Sealy High School.

Today, we talk about coaches who developed the No-Back or Pistol offense; but in the 1990s, Coach Mills could see the talent in upcoming young Tigers and recognized that the regular I-offense and 5-2 defense were good, but he would need an edge in order to compete. After Southlake Carroll defeated Navasota, a district rival at the time, he and the Sealy coaches started using the Spread offense with multiple formations that could attack many different types of teams. He also had the defensive coaches adapt to what many refer to as the 7-Diamond, and refined it into the Tiger Defense that became known to many as one of the toughest in Texas.

In the 1990s, the Sealy Tigers were considered among the best but today we barely hear them mentioned. Many said Sealy had a lot of great talent and individual athletes, but if you look back the Tigers had a group of players that worked hard and played together under the leadership of Mills and his staff. As far as athletes go, during those four years the Tigers had maybe a dozen go on to play in college on a football scholarship, and only two of those at Division I schools at SMU and Notre Dame. However in those four seasons, Sealy defeated 12 teams rated in the Top 10 by Texas Football and these same teams had more than 40 All-State players and 30 Division I athletes, some who went on to play in the NFL.

Nowadays, several teams have achieved the success of multiple, consecutive championship seasons. Celina tied Sealy’s record in 2001 and Lake Travis broke the record with 5 State Championships in a row in 2012, but both of these were accomplished under a different system.

The Sealy Tigers and Coach Mills were considered a top team in the 1990s, but they are seldom mentioned today. The 1994-1997 team and Mills hold a distinction no one will break—winning four State Championships in a row when there was only one champion and no what ifs.

bd62
07-04-2014, 05:05 PM
During that 4 yr state championship run I saw around 12 of there playoff games. What impressed me was there defense was so quick and dominating . There offense made great adjustments after 1qt due to excellent coaching. He had great assistant offense and defensive coaches. His kids had talent but biggest asset was the displine of the teams and the buy in of kids of
there system. The kids loved TJ.
But the kids knew TJ was a very displine coach. Best example was they were playing George West and a Sealy kid were kicked out of game for punching after a play. There was about 4 minutes left in 2 Qt in a tight game. TJ left the field and took that kid to locker room for rest of half. What a message to team. In second half Sealy played lights out and won by 28 points.
It is a shame and an injustice that TJ is not in Hall of Fame