PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Stakes Today: Will California Chrome do it?

regaleagle
06-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Today's the big day for the owners, trainer, and jockey of California Chrome, the California-bred horse that was born from a champion bloodline mare bought for only $10,000. The horse will be running a mile and a half today for the biggest prize in horseracing....the Triple Crown. There will be a stable of longtrippers to beat today, like Ride On Curlin', General ARod, and Mike Smith will be mounting Matuszak(30-1). Chrome is 3-5, Wicked Strong is the second best odds so far at 6-1. Tonalist is 8-1, the #11 horse. Chrome will be in the 2nd hole out of the gates as the #2 horse. Ride On Curlin'(12-1) is the #5 horse, ridden by Velasquez. General ARod(20-1) is the #10 horse and has the female jockey Rosie Napravnik at the helm. All of these odds are the morning lines. That will change by post time. There's 11 horses entered into the race, but there could be some scratches before post time. Matterhorn(30-1), the #3 horse, is trained by renowned guru Todd Pletcher. The last Triple Crown winner was Affirmed in 1978. It's been 35 loooong years for horse racing to crown another one. Will today be the day? I say YES. What say ye?

POST TIME>>>>5:52 Central Time. Don't miss this one, folks.

bobcat1
06-07-2014, 03:54 PM
I don't know. He has a lot of Belmont Champions in his blood. I'm rooting for him but this race is grueling and a Triple Crown killer. I say... Yes!

Roughneck93
06-07-2014, 04:08 PM
I say yes....

hollywood
06-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Everyone loves a winner!!

Why not?

"The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die!" -Steve Prefontaine

One of the gutsiest milers of all time.

Go Chrome Go!!

Roughneck93
06-07-2014, 05:58 PM
Boooo.....:thmbdwn:

regaleagle
06-07-2014, 05:58 PM
No Triple Crown winner today or this year or maybe never again. But I have seen several in my lifetime....none as impressive as Secretariat, though. That horse was a horse of a different color, haha. Too see him run was pure joy.

bobcat1
06-07-2014, 06:15 PM
No Triple Crown winner today or this year or maybe never again. But I have seen several in my lifetime....none as impressive as Secretariat, though. That horse was a horse of a different color, haha. Too see him run was pure joy. I agree. No other horse that lived was like Secretariat. Reckon that owner had a few sour grapes? He didn't hold back. I was laughing at his wife trying to get him to stop. He told her I don't care. It's a cowards way out the way they do this. That owner loses almost as good as I do. LOL

Aesculus gilmus
06-07-2014, 06:46 PM
I agree. No other horse that lived was like Secretariat. Reckon that owner had a few sour grapes? He didn't hold back. I was laughing at his wife trying to get him to stop. He told her I don't care. It's a cowards way out the way they do this. That owner loses almost as good as I do. LOL

His face was getting redder and redder. I thought either he was going to have a heart attack or stroke right there on the air or else was going to run out on the track and try to "put down" the "unfair" horses which hadn't run in all three races.

Roughneck93
06-07-2014, 07:18 PM
I agree. No other horse that lived was like Secretariat. Reckon that owner had a few sour grapes? He didn't hold back. I was laughing at his wife trying to get him to stop. He told her I don't care. It's a cowards way out the way they do this. That owner loses almost as good as I do. LOL

That was hilarious....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W0QPnSv2_0&sns=em

maestro
06-07-2014, 08:40 PM
FINALLY!!

A person who has tasted defeat and the mike is in his face and....

He comes clean. Heck, we have been waiting for these types of reactions.

Considering NBC bored us with 2plus hours of mindless chatter and opinions, I thought the race and post race reactions were great tv, but that's just me.

Oh, is he right in his thoughts???

regaleagle
06-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Hey, it's been like this for as long as I can retrace these races. A truly great horse will overcome all the odds and become a legend if it were to win the Triple Crown. The $$$ become astronomical for those horses. Water it down and the mystique and money gets watered down. It's all relative....which way do you want it? I'd rather not limit the field and see a horse go for it....even if he gets tripped up in the Belmont. That's what makes the race so appealing. We all understand the point Steve Colbert was making, but now is not the time to change the rules and water down the history of the other horses that are Triple Crown Champions.

maestro
06-08-2014, 07:19 AM
Well said

toddg
06-08-2014, 08:59 AM
FINALLY!!

A person who has tasted defeat and the mike is in his face and....

He comes clean. Heck, we have been waiting for these types of reactions.

Considering NBC bored us with 2plus hours of mindless chatter and opinions, I thought the race and post race reactions were great tv, but that's just me.

Oh, is he right in his thoughts???

He's right, but a true champion still wins that race... By 30+ lengths..

carter08
06-09-2014, 12:08 PM
The last Triple Crown winners ran in a Belmont with only five total horses, though. To say restricting it to only horses that ran the Derby is "watering down" the achievement means we should consider horses winning a TC while beating four other horses to be watered down as well, right?