PDA

View Full Version : Dan Patrick

Tricky
05-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Sorry for the politics, but coaches and educators are joining ranks on this and the public needs to know. Education and athletics as we know it will change drastically for the worse if this guy wins the election in November. Coaches who never vote anything but a straight Republican ticket are going to vote for his opponent. Please make an informed choice when placing your vote for Lt. Gov come November. Investigate his stance on athletics, vouchers, home schooled and private schools. The future of athletics and the entire school system is at stake.

Aesculus gilmus
05-29-2014, 10:35 AM
I was wondering if anyone was going to start a thread on Dan Patrick.

I was going to start a different one. To me, the election is already over and he is just waiting to be sworn in in January. No Democrat has been elected to statewide office since 1994. I'm sure most on this board have never voted for a Democrat themselves. It's literally against Texans' religion to do so in a lot of cases.

My thread was going to be asking which school(s) currently in the TAPPS do you see joining your UIL district at the next realignment. I see this as a foregone conclusion that the UIL is going to have to accept all TAPPS schools who want to join.

caleb_mccaig
05-29-2014, 10:49 AM
I was wondering if anyone was going to start a thread on Dan Patrick.

I was going to start a different one. To me, the election is already over and he is just waiting to be sworn in in January. No Democrat has been elected to statewide office since 1994. I'm sure most on this board have never voted for a Democrat themselves. It's literally against Texans' religion to do so in a lot of cases.

My thread was going to be asking which school(s) currently in the TAPPS do you see joining your UIL district at the next realignment. I see this as a foregone conclusion that the UIL is going to have to accept all TAPPS schools who want to join.

The biggest flaw in our elections is allowing the un-informed to vote. It will be a shame if he's elected that probably 75% of those who voted for him will wonder why the hell their sports have changed.

Aesculus gilmus
05-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Very few people vote in this state to begin with. It has one of the lowest voter participation rates in the U.S.

I think people have correctly figured out that "they" don't want too many people voting to begin with and "they" are going to do what they want in office, regardless of what the great unwashed masses think about them.

Now I will answer my own question. I think it's possible that one of the private schools in the Tyler area will be in our district - either Brook Hill or Grace Community. It's also possible we haven't seen the last of Prestonwood Christian Academy. May meet up with them again in the playoffs someday.

caleb_mccaig
05-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Very few people vote in this state to begin with. It has one of the lowest voter participation rates in the U.S.

I think people have correctly figured out that "they" don't want too many people voting to begin with and "they" are going to do what they want in office, regardless of what the great unwashed masses think about them.

Now I will answer my own question. I think it's possible that one of the private schools in the Tyler area will be in our district - either Brook Hill or Grace Community. It's also possible we haven't seen the last of Prestonwood Christian Academy. May meet up with them again in the playoffs someday.

One thing I wouldn't mind about playing Prestonwood is that every single girl that I know who went there is a rock solid 9 or better.

wedo
05-29-2014, 01:16 PM
https://theoldcoach.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=421&tid=172946684&mid=172946684&sid=984&style=2

seems to be a few coaches that don't want Dan Patrick as Lt. Gov.

cougartino
05-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Yawl are gonna have to edjubacate me on this. Many don’t like President Obama because they’re convinced he’s the dictator in charge. Never mind there are three branches in government and he’s always had to deal with a recalcitrant congress. With that being said, how then is Patrick going to unilaterally make a sweeping ruling without the legislature’s approval? If he already has that approval, then it is the legislators and not Patrick we should be concerned about.

Aesculus gilmus
05-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Dan Patrick will be in control of whether any bill comes up. That's how he can get his legislative priorities enacted.

You can think of the Lt. Gov. as "Blackmailer-in-Chief."

The House Speaker has a similar chokehold over all the House members in terms of whether bills even make it out of committee.

If all the coaches I see whining on that other board can get a commitment from Speaker Straus to block all the radical legislation which will be coming out of the Senate, they may be able to preserve the status quo.

This assumes Speaker Straus will not be deposed by the Tea Party faction, but that faction has already tried and failed to do that twice.

I am also assuming that soon-to-be Gov. Abbott is in basic agreement with Patrick on most of the issues regarding the public schools and thus won't veto any of his legislation concerning vouchers, privatizing the TRS, forcing UIL to accept TAPPS schools, etc.

cougartino
05-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Dan Patrick will be in control of whether any bill comes up. That's how he can get his legislative priorities enacted.

You can think of the Lt. Gov. as "Blackmailer-in-Chief."

The House Speaker has a similar chokehold over all the House members in terms of whether bills even make it out of committee.

If all the coaches I see whining on that other board can get a commitment from Speaker Straus to block all the radical legislation which will be coming out of the Senate, they may be able to preserve the status quo.

This assumes Speaker Straus will not be deposed by the Tea Party faction, but that faction has already tried and failed to do that twice.

I am also assuming that soon-to-be Gov. Abbott is in basic agreement with Patrick on most of the issues regarding the public schools and thus won't veto any of his legislation concerning vouchers, privatizing the TRS, forcing UIL to accept TAPPS schools, etc.

See that's what I like about this site. Ask for info and you get it! :thumbsup:

Scoop27
05-29-2014, 03:10 PM
I bet he has spent millions of $$$ on TV spots on the major Houston channels

slingshot
05-30-2014, 12:42 AM
I have voted straight Republican ticket in every election since 1976. I'll be voting for the Democratic Lt Gov candidate in this one... this guy is a disaster. I am truly embarrased that this piece of @#$% won a state wide primary election.

Old Green
05-30-2014, 12:57 AM
Guys keep this topic civil as you're doing right now . Policy has always been No Politics, but this is an informative thread with no bashing of candidates..

And yes, Our school traditions and policies will be undermined with this election.

ronwx5x
05-30-2014, 06:36 AM
I voted in the Primary and the run-off and certainly not for Dan Patrick. I meet with a group of men for coffee every week and almost all are Tea Party people. Not one stated he would vote for him. So who elected him? I'm concerned that most people did not vote but just hoped for the best.

YTBulldogs
05-30-2014, 07:30 AM
Some might not of voted for Dewey cause of the negative politics he pulled the final month of run off campaign. Should of stayed positive and on his record. I know this mud slinging, normal tactic turned one Dewey supporter off. I think most voters are more concerned with our border than who is playing football with whom.

Aesculus gilmus
05-30-2014, 07:59 AM
You do realize that the federal government is in charge of the border issues (actually, it's in the U.S. Constitution that the feds have this power) and no state can legally "go off the script" they write? We've seen this in recent years with the Arizona Legislature unsuccessfully trying to do that.

BTW, the Texas Legislature is not ever going to "go Arizona" on border issues and that's because the agricultural, construction and other big business interests benefit so much from the cheap labor.

YTBulldogs
05-30-2014, 08:09 AM
I think the State Gov has some control of our portion of the border too, and can implement some security measures legally, on our own. We already know the National Government can't secure our border. Texans tired of it. Especially with what is about to get elected into National office in Nov elections, then again in 2016, in presidential election. I think we will have supporters in DC of our methods of securing our own border.

YTBulldogs
05-30-2014, 08:13 AM
You do realize that the federal government is in charge of the border issues (actually, it's in the U.S. Constitution that the feds have this power) and no state can legally "go off the script" they write? We've seen this in recent years with the Arizona Legislature unsuccessfully trying to do that.

BTW, the Texas Legislature is not ever going to "go Arizona" on border issues and that's because the agricultural, construction and other big business interests benefit so much from the cheap labor.

What, we follow the constitution now? Tell the pen that.

Aesculus gilmus
05-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Money talks on this issue, as it does on most.

The big money wants that border relatively open. This actually began with NAFTA. Ross Perot was an absolute prophet on that one, although he wasn't the only one who saw what was coming.

YTBulldogs
05-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Money talks on this issue, as it does on most.

The big money wants that border relatively open. This actually began with NAFTA. Ross Perot was an absolute prophet on that one, although he wasn't the only one who saw what was coming.

We shall see I suppose. Should be an exciting next couple year's in elections and seeing what direction the people wanna go.

Aesculus gilmus
05-30-2014, 09:47 AM
It hasn't been about the people for a long time. It's all about the Benjamins.

Tricky
05-30-2014, 10:00 AM
I think most voters are more concerned with our border than who is playing football with whom.

If you think that is what I am referring to then you are sadly mistaken. Education as we know it will change. Athletics will simply be a biproduct of that change. But nice to way to deflect from the real issue.

cougartino
05-30-2014, 12:39 PM

:iagree:

No truer statement has ever been made.

Phantom Stang
05-30-2014, 05:14 PM

:iagree:

No truer statement has ever been made.
Yep, as far as true statements go, I have to put that on the same level as "Snyder sucks".:D

Old Green
05-30-2014, 06:42 PM
If you think that is what I am referring to then you are sadly mistaken. Education as we know it will change. Athletics will simply be a biproduct of that change. But nice to way to deflect from the real issue.I have no problem with states trying to secure their borders, but this topic is about Dan Patrick in his attempt to force school vouchers for private schools and force the UIL to accept private schools in the UIL. He has tried twice in the past to get this passed and was defeated in his attempts. As Lt. Governor he will try and ram rod this through.

Oh and I agree with this post.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-30-2014, 09:32 PM
The only private schools in the RGV that I can think of are Brownsville St. Joseph (TAPPS 5A) and Harlingen Marine Military Academy (Independent).

As for their enrollment figures, I'd have to do a little bit of research.

***Edit*** Brownsville St. Joseph has 477 kids from Grades 9-12, which would put them borderline 4A Div. 2 / 3A Div. 1. Their football team is decent, but they are more known for their basketball. They bus kids from as far away as Harlingen, and they also have students from other nearby towns including Port Isabel. If St. Joseph were allowed into the UIL, they would try to "cherry pick" the best players from the immediate area.

***Edit*** Harlingen Marine Military Academy (MMA for short) was a little tougher to find some specific information on. However, I did find a list of their 2013 graduating class and counted the names. 60 total. So, lets assume 60 per class, which puts MMA around 240 kids which would put them, I believe, in 3A Div. 2. Some information I DO know about MMA: they used to have a very strong football team, but they were busted for having college aged kids (19, 20, 21 year olds) playing against high school aged kids. They were kicked out of TAPPS for this, and have been Independent ever since. Since that time, their athletic program as a whole has struggled. Hell, even Progreso beats MMA on a regular basis. There is one SCARY aspect about MMA though. They get kids from all over the world. If MMA was allowed into the UIL there would be nothing stopping them from recruiting the best athletes the world has to offer. If that were to happen, MMA would be a serious State Title contender every year. I am NOT joking about that either.

ronwx5x
05-31-2014, 08:31 AM
The only private schools in the RGV that I can think of are Brownsville St. Joseph (TAPPS 5A) and Harlingen Marine Military Academy (Independent).

***Edit*** Brownsville St. Joseph has 477 kids from Grades 9-12, which would put them borderline 4A Div. 2 / 3A Div. 1. Their football team is decent, but they are more known for their basketball. They bus kids from as far away as Harlingen, and they also have students from other nearby towns including Port Isabel. If St. Joseph were allowed into the UIL, they would try to "cherry pick" the best players from the immediate area.

***Edit*** Harlingen Marine Military Academy (MMA for short) was a little tougher to find some specific information on. However, I did find a list of their 2013 graduating class and counted the names. 60 total. So, lets assume 60 per class, which puts MMA around 240 kids which would put them, I believe, in 3A Div. 2. Some information I DO know about MMA: they used to have a very strong football team, but they were busted for having college aged kids (19, 20, 21 year olds) playing against high school aged kids. They were kicked out of TAPPS for this, and have been Independent ever since. Since that time, their athletic program as a whole has struggled. Hell, even Progreso beats MMA on a regular basis. There is one SCARY aspect about MMA though. They get kids from all over the world. If MMA was allowed into the UIL there would be nothing stopping them from recruiting the best athletes the world has to offer. If that were to happen, MMA would be a serious State Title contender every year. I am NOT joking about that either.

Thoughts on Harlingen MMA:

15-16 year old boys who WANT to attend a place called Marine Military Academy? Naaaah.

I know two families here in the Houston who sent a son there (against his will) for disciplinary problems. Is this a norm?

I could be wrong here but seems they might have a bit of a problem recruiting quality athletes, especially after they see the location.

Snotbubbles
05-31-2014, 12:32 PM
I agree, it's all about the coin. The good Doctor of the UIL want's power and if he can land these TAPPS schools in his pocket, more control. Plus, more $$$ in the UIL kitty. Not sure how the teachers union and the UIL get along, but--I think they could both be pulling against one another in regards to Patrick. You know the union is against the republican not matter what. Who is the Dem candidate anyways in this Lt. Gov race?

Aesculus gilmus
05-31-2014, 12:43 PM
I agree, it's all about the coin. The good Doctor of the UIL want's power and if he can land these TAPPS schools in his pocket, more control. Plus, more $$$ in the UIL kitty. Not sure how the teachers union and the UIL get along, but--I think they could both be pulling against one another in regards to Patrick. You know the union is against the republican not matter what. Who is the Dem candidate anyways in this Lt. Gov race?

State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte is the Dem nominee for Lt. Gov.

It shows the power of propaganda for so many Texans to think our teachers here are "unionized."

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2012/04/dont-blame-teachers-unions-school-problems-texas
the unionization rate of Texas teachers is 1.8%.

This is another reason why the primary election (and subsequent runoff) is the only meaningful one. There is, as a practical matter, only one viable political party in the state. It's been that way for most of Texas history. The Dems were the only viable party for the first 150 or so years. Then there was a window of about two decades while all the Dems of any consequence switched to the other party. That's been over for about a decade.

Snotbubbles
05-31-2014, 01:08 PM
State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte is the Dem nominee for Lt. Gov.

She live in Texas or in France?:wave: Kidding, never heard of her.

Aesculus gilmus
05-31-2014, 02:36 PM
She's from San Antonio. Her maiden name was San Miguel, but then she married a man of Belgian descent. So not even the Hispanics know one of their own is running. They don't turn out to vote anyhow.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/headlines/20131226-the-name-game-van-de-puttes-surname-creates-challenges-in-her-race-for-texas-no.-2-job.ece

Snotbubbles
05-31-2014, 03:49 PM
She's from San Antonio. Her maiden name was San Miguel, but then she married a man of Belgian descent. So not even the Hispanics know one of their own is running. They don't turn out to vote anyhow.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/headlines/20131226-the-name-game-van-de-puttes-surname-creates-challenges-in-her-race-for-texas-no.-2-job.ece

I agree AG. She has about the same odd's winning as Marfa would against Allen.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-31-2014, 07:15 PM
I agree AG. She has about the same odd's winning as Marfa would against Allen.

Then say goodbye to the UIL as we know it. :( You know full well Dan Patrick will push his agenda through.

Snotbubbles
05-31-2014, 09:57 PM
Then say goodbye to the UIL as we know it. :( You know full well Dan Patrick will push his agenda through.

I think it's what the UIL and the doctor wants too. Like mentioned, it's about $$$$ and control for the UIL. They will have their man in position to get it done now.

rancher
06-03-2014, 05:18 AM
The citizens of Texas have spoken, we need leadership like Dan Patrick. We must change the education system it is broke. School choice is the way to go, let a parent vote with his tax dollars if they dont like the school district. Why make them go to a failing system like many today. Dan Patrick and Greg Abbott will win in a landslide.

Aesculus gilmus
06-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Where would you have them go, rancher? In my county, there are six public school districts (seven, counting Gladewater, which extends into the county).

Admittedly, that's too many, but the small communities out in Upshur County tie their identities to having separate school districts. There is not a private school of any significance in this county. This is true of dozens, if not hundreds, of counties in this state.

Dan Patrick can cut me a voucher check, but is he going to pay for the round-trip transportation expenses to the private schools in Tyler and Longview?

I am willing to support forced consolidation (to cut administrative expenses) of some of the smaller districts (even though it'd mean Gilmer would gain more students and immediately go up a division), but "school choice" is just not going to fly in the vast majority of the far-flung territory of this state. It's not even practical, even if you do declare all public schools to be inadequate.

More than 96 percent of voting-age Texans did not speak in that GOP runoff election on May 27. Texans have been convinced that their votes don't matter. They are probably correct in this assessment. It will be interesting to watch the public schools being dismantled over the next decade or so. A lot of the coaches and teachers have just now awakened from their slumber (too late, IMO) to realize what "rancher" has in store for them.

Aesculus gilmus
06-03-2014, 10:40 AM
I forgot one of our Upshur County school districts a while ago - Big Sandy, hometown of Lovie Smith and still the most prolific football dynasty in Upshur County with its three state championships in the 1970s.

So we have seven districts in the county, eight counting Gladewater. I do think some consolidation needs to occur, but good luck with that. These rural people in some cases almost literally would be willing to go to war with you, rancher, over such a move, and I'll bet they're as heaviiy armed as you are.

icu812
06-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Where would you have them go, rancher? In my county, there are six public school districts (seven, counting Gladewater, which extends into the county).

Admittedly, that's too many, but the small communities out in Upshur County tie their identities to having separate school districts. There is not a private school of any significance in this county. This is true of dozens, if not hundreds, of counties in this state.

Dan Patrick can cut me a voucher check, but is he going to pay for the round-trip transportation expenses to the private schools in Tyler and Longview?

I am willing to support forced consolidation (to cut administrative expenses) of some of the smaller districts (even though it'd mean Gilmer would gain more students and immediately go up a division), but "school choice" is just not going to fly in the vast majority of the far-flung territory of this state. It's not even practical, even if you do declare all public schools to be inadequate.

More than 96 percent of voting-age Texans did not speak in that GOP runoff election on May 27. Texans have been convinced that their votes don't matter. They are probably correct in this assessment. It will be interesting to watch the public schools being dismantled over the next decade or so. A lot of the coaches and teachers have just now awakened from their slumber (too late, IMO) to realize what "rancher" has in store for them.

You won't have to support forced consolidation because it will happen naturally as the schools performing poorly lose students to schools that are doing better. Technology has resulted in consolidation of schools for years. Think about all the schools we used to have scattered throughout our counties. Competition will be the agent of change that will cause schools to close this time and rightly so. We support students competing in sports, grades, scholarships, band, etc...and they are better off for it. In the business world competition results in innovation and growth. It will work the same with the schools. If that means in the future my kids or grand kids play sports in some consolidated or private school then so be it. Yes some public school teachers and coaches are afraid of this change but they are afraid for personal reasons having nothing to do with education. I love high school sports and my wife is a life long public school educator but..........lets get our priorities straight. If anyone is voting this issue based on high school sports or traditions IMO they need to have a serious moment of quiet reflection to think about why we have an education system to begin with. Until someone comes along with a better idea I have to agree with rancher on this. This could cause big changes in my own household so I don't say this lightly.

Aesculus gilmus
06-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Transportation is going to be a problem. Are you saying we are going to a system where the students in the more isolated parts of Texas (and there are LOTS of places like that) just sit at home and take classes via the Internet?

icu812
06-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Transportation is going to be a problem. Are you saying we are going to a system where the students in the more isolated parts of Texas (and there are LOTS of places like that) just sit at home and take classes via the Internet?

With citizens being free to spend their tax money as they see fit I think in some of these areas you will see new schools open to fill the void. As it is now some of the school district boundaries are not cost effective anyway. In my own district we have kids 5 miles from Van riding a bus 15 miles to Lindale and students much closer to Mineola riding a bus 15 miles to Van.

Snotbubbles
06-03-2014, 03:28 PM
The citizens of Texas have spoken, we need leadership like Dan Patrick. We must change the education system it is broke. School choice is the way to go, let a parent vote with his tax dollars if they dont like the school district. Why make them go to a failing system like many today. Dan Patrick and Greg Abbott will win in a landslide.

I agree, Leticia Van grey Pupon Dijon and Wendy will be taken out behind the old wood shed in Nov. Texans are tired. And, have spoken loud and clear.

Cam
06-03-2014, 04:16 PM

....ya mean the mighty RED ANTS??.....

Cam
06-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Yawl are gonna have to edjubacate me on this. Many don’t like President Obama because they’re convinced he’s the dictator in charge. Never mind there are three branches in government and he’s always had to deal with a recalcitrant congress. With that being said, how then is Patrick going to unilaterally make a sweeping ruling without the legislature’s approval? If he already has that approval, then it is the legislators and not Patrick we should be concerned about.

....:thinking:....recalcitrant??.....cougartino, ya gonna have to stop using them big words on here.....I have no idea what that word means!!....:vrycnfsd:

Cam
06-03-2014, 04:21 PM
....Is Dan Patrick and Danica Patrick the same person????....:vrycnfsd:

Trashman
06-03-2014, 04:27 PM
....Is Dan Patrick and Danica Patrick the same person????....:vrycnfsd:

Brother and Sister......:p

YTBulldogs
06-03-2014, 05:09 PM
....:thinking:....recalcitrant??.....cougartino, ya gonna have to stop using them big words on here.....I have no idea what that word means!!....:vrycnfsd:

Here Cam.

Recalcitrant Definition
adj. adjective

1. Marked by stubborn resistance to and defiance of authority or guidance.

Just say teenager.

rancher
06-03-2014, 06:58 PM
One only has to take a look at how the Texas State Senate will be made up this next session. There are many other tea party allies who won. I can tell you this fact, Dan Patrick will yank the old Rose Bush rule out by the roots. He has been has voting against this rule since he took office.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-04-2014, 11:11 AM
....ya mean the mighty RED ANTS??.....

Yes, the Mighty Red Ants from Progreso, Texas! (though they may not have a school district anymore in the next couple years, that good ol' RGV corruption)