PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on here driven to Los Angles from Texas?

pancho villa
05-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Anybody on here driven to LA from their town?
If so what town and how long did it take?
Did y'all eat at any really good places along the way?

GrTigers6
05-28-2014, 10:31 AM
A few years back we drove from Glen Rose to Temecula which is just south of LA. I believe it took us about 28-30 hours. We stopped just across the border of New Mexico and stayed the night. then drove to the west side of Arizona the second night. Then drove on in that next morning. As far as places to eat I guess we didn't find any that were worthy enough to remember because I don't lol

D'Highlander
05-28-2014, 10:39 AM
not to hi-jack the thread but what about anything good to see/eat between central texas and Memphis tenn?

Rabid Cougar
05-28-2014, 10:53 AM
LOOOONNNNGGG A$$ drive. And that is just to get out of Texas. Bad thing about going west on I-10 is that there are no Waffle Houses at every exit. And the Exits are freaking a long way apart too.

In regards to eating places, nothing comes to mind. I drove straight through. I was young and dumb back then.

Rabid Cougar
05-28-2014, 10:54 AM
not to hi-jack the thread but what about anything good to see/eat between central texas and Memphis tenn?

Bumpy, expansion jointed I-40.

Tx Challenge
05-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Many times. Live in the Los Angeles area now. BORING ass drive. We just stuck with the basic chain places for food. Even those are far and few between. The I-40 route is much more scenic than I-10. FLY!

GrTigers6
05-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Many times. Live in the Los Angeles area now. BORING ass drive. We just stuck with the basic chain places for food. Even those are far and few between. The I-40 route is much more scenic than I-10. FLY!

I agree with that. We came back on I 40 but we had been to Oakland before we headed home. We traveled up there to watch the Rangers play there. It was neat seeing them in a different stadium. But kinda scary being ranger fans in Oakland. LOL

Cam
05-28-2014, 02:35 PM
No...but I once drove from Manhattan to Dallas all by my lonesome in a company van with Texas license plates and had a scary moment in the fine state of Pennsylvania when on a lonely stretch of highway in the beautiful countryside some little Ford Pinto came out of nowhere with some scraggly lookin' fella yellin' at the top of his lungs at me I didn't even know what he wanted or why he was so mad at me maybe cause he saw my Texas license plates and I guess he figured I wasn't welcome there or maybe he saw my beautiful bronze colored skin and was just jealous cause he'd been workin' on his tan for years to no avail cause that's what all white folks try to do in the sun all the time and don't even care about the skin cancer risks I don't know I'm just glad that fella was so busy yellin' he drove himself off the highway and that's when I decided it was time to put the pedal to the metal and get the heck outta there and this has now officially become a run-on sentence.........:vrycnfsd:

greendawg84
05-28-2014, 03:05 PM
Same as driving to Jacksonville Fla but no trees . Yes one long A$$ drive . I agree catch Southwest !

caleb_mccaig
05-28-2014, 03:24 PM

Kind of off topic, but make sure your car/truck is within all of their rules. A buddy of mine who towed long distances was out there in his F-250 thats, errr how should I say this, customized I suppose and he got $500 in tickets for failing their emissions test, windows tinted (he didn't have limo tint all the way around), an exhaust tip being too big, and exhaust noise.

Lol to this day he still says he'll always remember the cop walking up to him and saying, "boy, I don't know how ya'll do it in Texas, but here you can't have all that bullsh&$."

44INAROW
05-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Same as driving to Jacksonville Fla but no trees . Yes one long A$$ drive . I agree catch Southwest !

Amen - our middle son lives in Lakeland, FL - it's 18 hours - no matter what time you leave in the morning lol..... last 2 times we went - we drove straight through.. 2 couples - so the guys switched on driving.. Leave Cuero on Hwy 77 - get on IH 10 @ Schulenburg - head east until you hit the Lake City Exit - hang a right IH 75 and go 6 more hours lol............... Florida does have nice rest areas :) oops :1offtopc: sorry :) I would like to do a road trip to the Grand Canyon with the grandchildren... bet that's a long drive with no trees lol

cards4me
05-28-2014, 07:21 PM

I try not to drive outside the United States . 20 hrs. to Phoenix from Houston

WOS87
05-28-2014, 07:36 PM
I drove from Houston to Oklahoma City to Los Angeles down I-40 (old route 66) last November in a marathon 28 hour drive and it was awful, then had to return for another 28 hour drive. Nothing but desert.

Matthew328
05-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Drove from Fort Worth to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl when TCU played...plenty of spots in the Greater Phoenix area....

Grab a Blake's LottaBurger in Las Cruces...green chile style

1st and goal
05-29-2014, 12:26 PM
No trees once you get past the hill country until you get to within about 30 miles of the pacific ocean.
I heard Ft. Stockton has a good mexican food place. How about you eat there and give us a sit/rep?
Cacti in Arizona just like the roadrunner cartoons.
Once you've made it to El Paso, you are closer to LA than to Brazoria.
El Paso stinks if the wind is blowing the wrong way. Sorry to any El Paso peeps but I gotta call it how I smells it.
Most gas stations on the interstate are higher than in the towns. But most of the towns are so small all they have is an interstate stop.
Get you an old CB radio and have fun listening to the truckers. My buddy flirted with a gal for about 750 miles during our trip. Plenty of lot lizards at the big truck stops....All are ugly.

1st and goal
05-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Don't stop at the truck stop in Junction to eat or use the restroom. Sewage coming out of the bathroom.

toddg
05-29-2014, 12:41 PM
No trees once you get past the hill country until you get to within about 30 miles of the pacific ocean.
I heard Ft. Stockton has a good mexican food place. How about you eat there and give us a sit/rep?
Cacti in Arizona just like the roadrunner cartoons.
Once you've made it to El Paso, you are closer to LA than to Brazoria.
El Paso stinks if the wind is blowing the wrong way. Sorry to any El Paso peeps but I gotta call it how I smells it.
Most gas stations on the interstate are higher than in the towns. But most of the towns are so small all they have is an interstate stop.
Get you an old CB radio and have fun listening to the truckers. My buddy flirted with a gal for about 750 miles during our trip. Plenty of lot lizards at the big truck stops....All are ugly.

Is there such thing as a "pretty" lot lizard?! LOL!.::

Pudlugger
05-30-2014, 09:13 AM
I've made the trip from La Grange to LA many times. It is 1465 miles if you take HWY 71 through Fredricksburg to I-10 and 15 miles further if you stay on I-10 thru San Antonio (too much traffic though). It takes 23 hours non=stop but I ussually stop in Los Cruces which is about midway for the night. Many fine restaurants in that college town. Places to stop for food: Billy Jeans in Kerrville; I-Hop off I-10 in Ft Stockton; Cracker Barrel in El Paso on west side off Mesa Rd; In-N-Out in Avondal on 1525 Dysart Rd just off I-10 a few miles west of Phoenix; nice truck stop in Winslow AZ; nice steak house in Benson AZ a mile or so off the highway; not much from Phoenix to the Inland Empire with Ontario offering good restaurants off Mountain Ave just off I-10. Many great restaurants from there on into LA. Good luck and watch out for the radar traps especially in New Mexico from the TX border to Los Cruces and in AZ between Tucson and Phoenix.

Old Green
05-30-2014, 06:50 PM
It'S been a couple years, but drove to LA from Cuero in 26 hours. Left at 5:00 in the morning and stayed in Tucson for the night.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-30-2014, 09:28 PM
I've driven from Houston, TX to Palm Springs, CA before non-stop. Takes between 20-22 hours depending on how many stops you make for "relief" or buying snacks or energy drinks or coffee. A few "power naps" also help along the way.

BwdLion73
05-31-2014, 09:19 AM
I've driven from Houston, TX to Palm Springs, CA before non-stop. Takes between 20-22 hours depending on how many stops you make for "relief" or buying snacks or energy drinks or coffee. A few "power naps" also help along the way.

21 hours is about the best time I have heard of. As someone who has to make occasional trips to the East coast (Massachusetts, Virginia ect) I think I might like a little boaring quite time. 5pm in Atlanta, lost in Harlem, Boston and toll roads ...this farm boy likes those long open roads. :vrycnfsd: