PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Playoffs start tonite: Regional Semifinals Round

regaleagle
05-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Some games are scheduled tonite for the beginning of regional semifinal games in the Class 3A baseball playoffs. Argyle will be facing Pleasant Grove over at McKinney Boyd high school starting at 7 pm. The series will continue on Fri. night at 7 pm at NE Texas CC in Mount Pleasant, and a final game there also on Sat. at 2 pm, if necessary. Good luck to all the teams still playing this week. Let's keep the updates coming in as the games are being played.

Roughneck93
05-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Mid 4th

Caldwell 9
Silsbee 9

Be_Advised
05-22-2014, 08:52 PM
Mid 4th

Caldwell 9
Silsbee 9

Pitchers duel!!!!

Roughneck93
05-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Mid 5th

Silsbee 10
Caldwell 9

Roughneck93
05-22-2014, 09:10 PM
FINAL

Game 1

Huffman Hargrave 5 College Station 1

Roughneck93
05-22-2014, 09:23 PM
End 6th

Silsbee 10
Caldwell 9

Scoop27
05-22-2014, 09:24 PM
Sinton 1, Yoakum 0- 5th inning

regaleagle
05-22-2014, 09:42 PM
I just got in from today's full day and it looks like Argyle has defeated Pleasant Grove in Game 1 of this regional semi series 5-3. I believe this game has now gone final. Argyle's #3 starter Hunter Markwardt(lefty jr.) started this game for Argyle. Don't know much else about the game except Argyle has won. I'll listen to the archived tape on Sportsgram to see how it went and what happened.

Roughneck93
05-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Mid 7th

Silsbee 22
Caldwell 9

Roughneck93
05-22-2014, 10:05 PM
FINAL

Game 1

Silsbee 22 Caldwell 9

Scoop27
05-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Sinton 5, Yoakum 0 Game 1 Final from La Grange

regaleagle
05-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Mid 7th

Silsbee 22
Caldwell 9

Wow....what an inning for Silsbee; looks like 12 runs in the top of the 6th. Speaking of a nightmare inning for Caldwell....probably haven't given up a big inning like that all season.

Roughneck93
05-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Wow....what an inning for Silsbee; looks like 12 runs in the top of the 6th. Speaking of a nightmare inning for Caldwell....probably haven't given up a big inning like that all season.

If I remember hearing correctly, 12 runs on 10 hits. They sent 16 batters to the plate in the 7th.

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Come to find out, the Pleasant Grove Hawks had also used their #3 starter in the first game against Argyle, trying to steal a win. Now both squads will be traveling to Mount Pleasant(PG's home territory) for tonite's Game 2 matchup. Methinks we will see PG's #1 starter tonite against Argyle's #2...lefty Parker Mushinski. BTW, all three starters for Argyle are lefties. There is a 4th starter that is a righty, but he probably won't be used as a starter in this series. I think Argyle has about 5 reliable pitchers that have started this season. But in tonite's game against Pleasant Grove(they have been to the state tournament for 6 straight years) Argyle can expect to see a full-out assault by the Hawks and their fanbase to win this game....nothing held back. The game will be played in their neck of the woods, and from what I understand PG has a very large East Texas contingent that follows and supports their baseball team. This will be WAR on the diamond, folks. The Eagles are ready and will not relent easily. We have been here before in this same exact circumstance against PG a couple of years ago. They won Games 2 and 3 that season and went on to win state. So you can see how this game tonite holds special meaning to both schools. Let the fireworks begin. GO EAGLES!!!

Aggie98
05-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Come to find out, the Pleasant Grove Hawks had also used their #3 starter in the first game against Argyle, trying to steal a win. Now both squads will be traveling to Mount Pleasant(PG's home territory) for tonite's Game 2 matchup. Methinks we will see PG's #1 starter tonite against Argyle's #2...lefty Parker Mushinski. BTW, all three starters for Argyle are lefties. There is a 4th starter that is a righty, but he probably won't be used as a starter in this series. I think Argyle has about 5 reliable pitchers that have started this season. But in tonite's game against Pleasant Grove(they have been to the state tournament for 6 straight years) Argyle can expect to see a full-out assault by the Hawks and their fanbase to win this game....nothing held back. The game will be played in their neck of the woods, and from what I understand PG has a very large East Texas contingent that follows and supports their baseball team. This will be WAR on the diamond, folks. The Eagles are ready and will not relent easily. We have been here before in this same exact circumstance against PG a couple of years ago. They won Games 2 and 3 that season and went on to win state. So you can see how this game tonite holds special meaning to both schools. Let the fireworks begin. GO EAGLES!!!

It's going to be a tall task for PG to beat Argyle's #1 and #2 back-to-back. Really tall task. I would expect the Hawks to throw Trey Jeans tonight.... he's a 6'0" lefty (ULL commit) who probably sits around 88 MPH with really good stuff. If they get to a game 3 tomorrow, you can probably expect to see Jarod Bayless... he's a 6'4" righty who can get in the low 90's when healthy. I'm not sure that he's 100%, but who is at this point in the season.

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Argyle can hit the fastball....just ask Sanger. Mushinski can bring it in the 90's, but lacks the plate command that Gooch has. He can get out of whack at times and try too hard to just overpower the hitter. But when he's in the groove, he's very tough on the hitters. He's raw and unpolished, but with lots of upside. And he's a threat at the plate. Gooch went 2 for 3 at the plate last night also. Markwardt is the fastest player on the team, the lead-off hitter, and routinely steals bases every game. That's very unusual to have 3 lefty starters that all can hit and pitch so well. It gives Coach Griffin lots of options. I think the Eagles will win tonite and close the door this season on Pleasant Grove....IF Mushinski is able to have the command. GO EAGLES.

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Argyle 0
Pleasant Grove 0

End of 3rd

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Argyle 0
Pleasant Grove 0

After 5 1/2 PG coming up to bat. Mushinski has held PG to only one hit so far with quite a few strike outs. The broadcast has been in & out, so I can't get the info. Argyle has had baserunners every single inning, but PG has ended the last two with double plays.

Aggie98
05-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Argyle 0
Pleasant Grove 0

After 5 1/2 PG coming up to bat. Mushinski has held PG to only one hit so far with quite a few strike outs. The broadcast has been in & out, so I can't get the info. Argyle has had baserunners every single inning, but PG has ended the last two with double plays.

Who's pitching for PG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Jeans is pitching for PG. Mushinski struck out the side last inning and now has 9 strikeouts on one hit. Argyle has 5 hits, been caught stealing twice, and has hit into inning-ending double plays twice. No runner has advanced past first base in this game yet. The broadcast at Sportsgram is up and running now....loud and clear.

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 08:35 PM
PG leads off with a pop-up bunt that should have been let go foul, then Hopkins reaches on a full count walk that actually caught the corner. So now PG has runners at first and 2nd with no outs here in the bottom of the 6th.

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Now it's one out with the bases loaded and 3-0 to pitcher Trey Jeans. Mushinski loses him and walks in the run. Mushinski is done with 10 strikeouts and 2hits(one a bunt that would have gone foul if not fielded too hastily). Then he walks 3 straight when no runner has been past first. He lost his command when they called a ball on that first walk. It really was a darn good strike on the corner that the ump had called several times tonite against the Eagles. Rixey Boyd comes on now with the bases loaded and one out. Silvey is up to bat for PG.

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Boyd takes care of business for Argyle to help them get out of the inning with no more damage.

Argyle 0
Pleasant Grove 1

6 innings complete. What a shame the way PG scored that run. Looks like this game may end in a 1-0 score.

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Jeans walks Brandon Boyzuick with one out here in the top of the 7th. But they've ended innings with double plays on Argyle twice tonite already.

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Now the ump calls a strike in the dirt on Cutter McDonald. He's just not calling these pitches consistently. Two outs now on Argyle. Now Jeans walks another Eagle with Drew Gooch coming to the plate. Runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs.

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Gooch grounds it back to the pitcher Jeans for an easy out at first to end the game. What a lousy game all the way around. Argyle had 5 hits and PG had 2 hits. The only runners to reach past first base all night were due to walks. PG won the game on a bunt single and 3 consecutive walks after some questionable calls behind the plate. You just hate to see a game like this decided in that manner. Some good defense by both clubs, good pitching by both clubs. Mushinski overpowers for 5 1/3 innings, strikes out 10, gives up one hit, but walks 4....three in a row in the 6th for the lone score of this game. Jeans gave up 5 hits, walked 4, but got the win. This series is all knotted up now at one game each. Tomorrow's game will start at 2pm at the same location. Gooch will start for Argyle.

PG 1
Argyle 0

Final

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 09:25 PM
You just can't get into a "small-ball" game against these PG Hawks over in East Texas. Too many things can go wrong, and that's no way to play against this team. I believe Argyle could have been more patient with their at-bats and forced Jeans into deeper counts. Neither team smacked the ball, but Argyle was obviously in a better position to capitalize all night with a runner on first base the first 5 innings straight. They let Jeans off the hook by not forcing him to throw fastballs over the plate. They were contacting breaking balls all night for easy outs. Hopefully, it will be a lesson learned against a team that has championship coaching experience and demands his players do all the little things right to win games. Argyle lost this game tonite....it was theirs to take.

regaleagle
05-23-2014, 09:47 PM
So where's all the other scores tonite? What about College Station and Huffman Hargrave....anybody got a score for us?

Roughneck93
05-23-2014, 09:54 PM
College Station 6 Huffman 0

Series tied 1-1.

Roughneck93
05-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Caldwell 2 Silsbee 0

Series tied 1-1.

Aggie98
05-23-2014, 11:52 PM
You just can't get into a "small-ball" game against these PG Hawks over in East Texas. Too many things can go wrong, and that's no way to play against this team. I believe Argyle could have been more patient with their at-bats and forced Jeans into deeper counts. Neither team smacked the ball, but Argyle was obviously in a better position to capitalize all night with a runner on first base the first 5 innings straight. They let Jeans off the hook by not forcing him to throw fastballs over the plate. They were contacting breaking balls all night for easy outs. Hopefully, it will be a lesson learned against a team that has championship coaching experience and demands his players do all the little things right to win games. Argyle lost this game tonite....it was theirs to take.

I think tomorrow's game hinges on the arm of Jarod Bayless. When he's "right", he's as good as any pitcher in the state in 3A. When he's not right, he's beatable. We should be able to tell in the first inning or two whether or not he can go toe-to-toe with Gooch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Gooch and the Eagles have some unfinished business to transact with these pesky Pleasant Grove Hawkies. They have managed to go to state for the last 6 yrs straight, but not so much in dominating fashion. They play quality, disciplined baseball and know how to squeak out tight wins. The Eagles need to bring their own brand of baseball to the park today and not get into a "small ball" tight game against these Hawks. The Hawks can play some good D and will capitalize on the opposing team's mistakes...when given an opportunity. Argyle really played a great game last night....but did commit just enough mistakes to allow PG the opening they needed to win. Methinks the best team will win today....the Argyle Eagles. But you have to score to win, boyz. Let's plate some runs today and put the pressure on those East Texas Hawkies.:smoker:

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Argyle/Pleasant Grove underway now. Gooch vs. Bayless in Game 3 of series.

Argyle 0
PG 0

End of 1st

Argyle coming to bat in top of 2nd.

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Argyle 0
PG 0

End of 2nd

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Argyle will need to swing the bats this afternoon. So far they are doing so, but every single time the PG defense is making great plays on tough balls to field. Gotta hand it to PG's defense so far.

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Argyle 0
PG 0

End of 5th

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm supposed to golf this afternoon with a friend, but here I am listening to this playoff game on a Saturday.

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 03:22 PM
PG 1
Argyle 0

End of 6
PG manufactured a run....something they're great at.

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Top of 7th

Argyle has scored 2 runs in this top half of the 7th. Drew Gooch squeezed the runner at 3rd base home with one out for the go ahead run. Two outs with another run on third. Long fly ball to center, but it is caught.

After 6 1/2 innings
Argyle 2
PG 1

Gooch still on the mound to try and close it out. Lots of pressure here. Gooch has thrown 3 straight balls to the first batter. Leadoff walk for PG. This game is gonna be tight. Pitchout gets runner at first on a bunt attempt. Caught him in noman's land. One out and the runner is erased.

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Two down now on fly ball to center field. Down to one out for Argyle to advance.

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Hudson Hopkins lines one to right and Markwardt tries to throw him out from right field, but the throw is wide and now Hopkins ends up on 2nd on the wild throw. Crazy mistake by the rightfielder with 2 outs. Now the tying run is on 2nd base. To clarify, Markwardt tried to throw the runner out before he got to first.

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Pearlman is hitting now, but he's 0-3 today. No balls and 2 strikes. He's hit it everytime.

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Swings and misses, pass ball and Pearlman races to first. Gooch runs to the bag and takes the throw as Pearlman slides into first. He's out and Argyle wins it. A close play at first on a weird way to end the game and the series, but Argyle will advance. I'm not sure what happened there and why Gooch was covering first instead of the 1st baseman. We'll find out in a minute.

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Final

Argyle 2
Pleasant Grove 1

Argyle wins the series 2-1 to advance to the regional round next week against North Lamar.

regaleagle
05-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Pleasant Grove gave this Argyle team a great series with a relatively young team that is well-coached and play the game with tons of passion. Their pitching was very good, and their defense was topnotch....a darn good ballclub. They'll be back next season for sure.

Rabid Cougar
05-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Silsbee 11 Caldwell 1 Silsbee advances to State

sinfan75
05-24-2014, 05:05 PM
Sinton scores 6 runs in the 6th to win 7-5 in game 2 with Yoakum and sweep the series.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Silsbee 11 Caldwell 1 Silsbee advances to Statenot quite yet still have the region final :)

SintonFan_inAustin
05-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Sinton scores 6 runs in the 6th to win 7-5 in game 2 with Yoakum and sweep the series.
WTG Pirates!! Yoakum almost ended Sinton 16 game win streak, Pirates extended to 17 straight wins since a loss to 4a Calallen Wildcats 7-4

Rocket Man
05-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Per Game Changer, CS beat HH in game 3, 3-0.

Rabid Cougar
05-24-2014, 07:16 PM
not quite yet still have the region final :)

It was a premonition.