PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit

Saggy Aggie
05-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Let me start by saying that I've done insanity a lot and I work out and run almost every day.... But today I did crossfit for the first time and definitely puked toward the end.... Stuffs crazy, but I loved it.

Any of y'all do it or anything similar?

FB-fanatic
05-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Let me start by saying that I've done insanity a lot and I work out and run almost every day.... But today I did crossfit for the first time and definitely puked toward the end.... Stuffs crazy, but I loved it.

Any of y'all do it or anything similar?At 50, I laid down on the floor at Christmas time to water the tree, and spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get up off the floor....

Snotbubbles
05-17-2014, 01:19 PM

Man up girl. Scoop does this twice a day without issue.

Rabid Cougar
05-17-2014, 01:23 PM

Do you even lift?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloLS5kTrVs

BwdLion73
05-17-2014, 02:14 PM

I'm beginning to think the way to go is stay away from all the extream workout plans. If you let a car sit for months you will have problems.
If you drive like a bat out of hell spinning out, mud bogging and driving at top speed your going to tear your vehicle up.
If you take care of it by using proper fuel, oil, ect. along with taking it easy it will last a long time.

...and to answer your question I have puked toward the end...however a workout had nothing to do with it...

Saggy Aggie
05-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Man up girl. Scoop does this twice a day without issue.

Hahaha

TexDad
05-17-2014, 03:32 PM
I am 55 and been doing crossfit for almost two years. I think it's a great workout. You do need a good coach that can recognize your limitations.

Saggy Aggie
05-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Dang. Very impressive.

I have no problem with puking when I work out though, indicates a great workout to me lol

Ville-D
05-17-2014, 11:49 PM
My wife does crossfit...

hollywood
05-18-2014, 08:35 AM
T25 works best

Rabid Cougar
05-18-2014, 09:50 AM
When you start doing pull ups the CORRECT way I will listen.

Macarthur
05-18-2014, 11:07 AM
My wife is a PT and we've discussed this. Be very very careful. Really need an instructor that knows what they are doing. You can hurt yourself really bad with this stuff.

Saggy Aggie
05-18-2014, 06:21 PM
My wife does crossfit...

Lol and I'm sure she does the modified exercises....

Saggy Aggie
05-18-2014, 06:22 PM
When you start doing pull ups the CORRECT way I will listen.

Who are you talking to? Lol

Rabid Cougar
05-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Who are you talking to? Lol

People who do Crossfit.

TexDad
05-18-2014, 08:21 PM
You can get injured doing any exercise if you don't do them correctly, even just running. If you are referring doing kipping pullups or just regular pullups, I can do both.

Saggy Aggie
05-18-2014, 08:28 PM
People who do Crossfit.

Lol what's your beef with their pull-ups? I don't really know since I've only done it once

Emerson1
05-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Lol what's your beef with their pull-ups? I don't really know since I've only done it once

Probably the amount of momentum they use to help them get through it. Which if it's during a competition is kind of the point.

caleb_mccaig
05-19-2014, 09:55 AM
I have no problem with working out or bettering yourself, but the one problem I have with Crossfit is the cult status of the people who do it. You'll know immediately if they do it or not because they can't keep their mouth shut about doing it.

Macarthur
05-19-2014, 10:40 AM
You can get injured doing any exercise if you don't do them correctly, even just running. If you are referring doing kipping pullups or just regular pullups, I can do both.

Of course you can. However, the problem with some crossfit is that they don't teach proper technique and that combined with a propensity to not let the body rest a proper amount of time between reps and workouts, the danger can be compounded.

Cam
05-19-2014, 12:54 PM
....I tried crossfittin' once.....but I couldn't get used to wearin' high heels or brassiere!...Them heels gave me blisters....and that brassiere got me to break out in a terrible rash!...Not only that, I couldn't get my hands to contort around my back to do the little hook thingies...women can tolerate some amazin' stuff I'm tellin' ya!!........anyways, I gave up on that idea.....:vrycnfsd:

Emerson1
05-19-2014, 12:58 PM
I have no problem with working out or bettering yourself, but the one problem I have with Crossfit is the cult status of the people who do it. You'll know immediately if they do it or not because they can't keep their mouth shut about doing it.

True story.

Parts of it seems antiquated too. Power cleans were probably an effective workout in the 50s.

Rabid Cougar
05-19-2014, 02:29 PM
True story.

Parts of it seems antiquated too. Power cleans were probably an effective workout in the 50s.

You see Power Cleans less and less in collegiate performance training. ANd I do know S&C coaches that will not use them. The risk is to high. "Coach I am sorry but your stud running back just broke his wrist".

Also why do you want to do exercises to infinity? Dont you want to be strong? And don't bring up FRONING either.

My problem with kipping is that kipping is not a pull up. It is improper technique. Yet there are videos on Youtube teaching the Crossfit kipping technique. What kind of a "coach" teaches the wrong way to do things?????

Rabid Cougar
05-19-2014, 02:30 PM
i have no problem with working out or bettering yourself, but the one problem i have with crossfit is the cult status of the people who do it. You'll know immediately if they do it or not because they can't keep their mouth shut about doing it.

bingo!

defense51
05-19-2014, 02:55 PM
You see Power Cleans less and less in collegiate performance training. ANd I do know S&C coaches that will not use them. The risk is to high. "Coach I am sorry but your stud running back just broke his wrist".

Also why do you want to do exercises to infinity? Dont you want to be strong? And don't bring up FRONING either.

My problem with kipping is that kipping is not a pull up. It is improper technique. Yet there are videos on Youtube teaching the Crossfit kipping technique. What kind of a "coach" teaches the wrong way to do things?????

For the record, The United States Marine Corps considers kipping a proper technique for doing pull ups...

TexDad
05-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I guess it's not for everyone. You either love it or hate it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Macarthur
05-19-2014, 03:38 PM
I guess it's not for everyone. You either love it or hate it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I'm not saying someone shouldn't do it. If done right, it's a great way to get fit.

However, it is not 'opinion' that there are some aspects of crossfit that are unsound. Just make sure your instructor knows what they are doing and technique is emphasized.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20140124/crossfit-kevin-ogar/

Rabid Cougar
05-19-2014, 04:00 PM
For the record, The United States Marine Corps considers kipping a proper technique for doing pull ups...

REALLY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qjleEHSo34

"Not authorized"

defense51
05-19-2014, 04:28 PM
REALLY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qjleEHSo34

"Not authorized"
Must be a new policy, it was authorized as recent as 2006.
So let me change my statement, in the past the United States Marine Corps considered kipping a proper technique for doing pull ups. In 1988 I saw a kid do 83 pull ups using the kip method, he set the record for "E" Company, 2nd Recruit Training Battalion at San Diego.

BwdLion73
05-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Dang. Very impressive.

I have no problem with puking when I work out though, indicates a great workout to me lol

I think it's your body telling you your doing something wrong.

Saggy Aggie
05-19-2014, 06:07 PM
I think it's your body telling you your doing something wrong.

Probably just pushing myself too hard, but eh, once in a lifetime isn't a big deal to me

Saggy Aggie
05-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Just looked up kipping... That's a pullup, it's just horrible technique.

I prefer to do regular pull-ups....

CP3Dad
05-20-2014, 08:09 AM
At 43 years old, I've been doing Crossfit workouts every morning for almost 2 years. It works for me. I haven't been this strong since my early 20's, I run for distance for the first time in my life, and I eat better to improve my overall health. It has improved my mental toughness even on difficult projects at work. But, Crossfit is definitely not for everyone. That "cult" feeling that others get from Crossfitters comes from our enthusiasm about our lifestyle and our "box family". We thrive on the camaraderie and competition generated from pushing ourselves beyond our perceived limits. I could be at this level with other workouts, but Crossfit was available to me, and it has changed my life for the better...and yes, I kip on my pullups.

Macarthur
05-20-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm am not in as good a shape as I should be so the last thing I want to do is come across as being critical. I'm happy for you CP3.

The one thing that concerns me a bit is that you mention doing these every morning for 2 years. Are you giving your body proper rest?

CP3Dad
05-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Definitely a mis-statement on my part, I work out M-F and occasionally on Sat. But, I do take days off when my body says "stop". No criticism felt by me, just wanted to share my experience.

caleb_mccaig
05-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Definitely a mis-statement on my part, I work out M-F and occasionally on Sat. But, I do take days off when my body says "stop". No criticism felt by me, just wanted to share my experience.

It's one of those things that isn't for everyone. One of my good friends does it 5-6 times a week and loves it, but he's kind of stayed away from advertising it non-stop (At least when I'm around him). It's whatever gets you that workout high.

Macarthur
05-20-2014, 09:37 AM

good deal. :thumbsup:

Emerson1
05-20-2014, 11:25 AM

I did a pull up challenge at a Marine booth at a festival a couple weeks ago and they wouldn't let you do it.

defense51
05-20-2014, 11:50 AM
I did a pull up challenge at a Marine booth at a festival a couple weeks ago and they wouldn't let you do it.

Apparently the policy was changed in 2008.