PDA

View Full Version : 194 pitch outing

YTBulldogs
05-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Dumb ass coach. And, parents too I guess.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/high-school-senior-dylan-fosnacht-throws-194-pitches-in-14-innings-144503402.html

caleb_mccaig
05-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Saw this, this morning. Kid defended it on Twitter after David Price (Rays) congratulated the kid and called out the coach. He said he wanted to stay in and defended his coach.

Not saying it's right but the kid wanted it. No idea if he has a future in baseball, but maybe if he doesn't he knows that and isn't worried about it.

YTBulldogs
05-15-2014, 10:29 PM
If he did have a future, I'm sure he don't now. I don't care what the kid wanted.

coachc45
05-16-2014, 07:06 AM
If he did have a future, I'm sure he don't now. I don't care what the kid wanted.

It is amazing that in Japan kids routinely throw that many pitches in games and pitch multiple days in a row and the occurance of arm injuries is miniscule compared to the USA. The pitchers in Japan are more fundamentally sound than our kids.

I firmly believe that it is less about # of pitches and more about poor mechanics that lead to these injuries. Also the fact that in America we are much more enamored with speed of pitch over location. Kids are encouraged at 7-8 yrs old to "Fire it in there". Throwing as hard as you can is stupid.

Rabid Cougar
05-16-2014, 08:36 AM
It is amazing that in Japan kids routinely throw that many pitches in games and pitch multiple days in a row and the occurance of arm injuries is miniscule compared to the USA. The pitchers in Japan are more fundamentally sound than our kids.

I firmly believe that it is less about # of pitches and more about poor mechanics that lead to these injuries. Also the fact that in America we are much more enamored with speed of pitch over location. Kids are encouraged at 7-8 yrs old to "Fire it in there". Throwing as hard as you can is stupid.

Maybe so but velo brings the scouts.

defense51
05-16-2014, 08:37 AM

Mechanics and fatigue are key factors in how many pitches a pitcher can throw safely and effectively. Each kid is different and each can handle numbers of pitches differently.

zebrablue2
05-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Dumb ass coach. And, parents too I gues

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/high-school-senior-dylan-fosnacht-throws-194-pitches-in-14-innings-144503402.html
:iagree: about 100 too many

Saggy Aggie
05-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Not that it matters that much, but the kid says he's not even a pitcher first, and definitely not the ace on his team. Says he's an infielder who just got a spot start

YTBulldogs
05-19-2014, 09:03 AM
Not that it matters that much, but the kid says he's not even a pitcher first, and definitely not the ace on his team. Says he's an infielder who just got a spot start

Makes it even worse. Kid probably shouldn't have pitched but an inning or two then.

caleb_mccaig
05-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Makes it even worse. Kid probably shouldn't have pitched but an inning or two then.

The kid already said that he has no future in the game. What does he have to lose? This is likely the only few years of baseball he has left, I have no problem with a kid going all out in those circumstances.

coachc45
05-19-2014, 02:03 PM
It has become a hot button thing to talk about innings and pitches thrown leading to blown out elbows, when in all actuality there is very little evidence to back these assertations up. It has been documented that pitching mechanics and "max effort" do have a correlation. I for one think that if a kid has the mechanics and the "pace" then # of innings is of little consequence.