PDA

View Full Version : TX HS Baseball playoffs Regional Quarter Final Match Ups

hollywood
05-11-2014, 10:14 PM
W8 Liberty Hill (26-5) Vs. W7 Stephenville (21-10-1)
Game 1: May 15th, 7:30, @Stephenville
Game 2: May 16th, 7:30, @Liberty Hill
Game 3: May 17th, 1:00, @Waco ISD

http://txhighschoolbaseball.com/3a/3a-regional-quarterfinal-matchups/

YTBulldogs
05-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Yoakum vs. Needville (Best 2 of 3 series)

All games in LaGrange

Game 1: Thursday May 15th, 7:30
Game 2: Friday May 16th, 7:30
Game 3: Saturday May 17th, 1:00 (if needed)

hollywood
05-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Liberty Hill has a solid team this season. I listened to game 2 of LH/Graham Saturday.

How is the pitching staff this season?

Stephenville's is pretty solid.

Daniel Bullard -- RH: big, tall pitcher who throws upper 80's to low 90's
Maddux Conger -- RH: big, tall pitcher who throws low to mid 90's (committed to Arizona St.)
Brock Morrison -- RH: Athletic pitcher who throws mid to high 80's. Great closer. Also plays SS
Ben Martin -- RH: Solid relief pitcher who can do damage down the stretch
Josh Bulla -- LH: Solid lefty that has good control and a wicked curve ball

regaleagle
05-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Region 2 Games and my picks:
Ferris over Melissa
Pittsburg over Paris North Lamar
Argyle over Sanger
Pleasant Grove over Paris

All games are best of 3 series, unless the weather dictates otherwise.

Good luck to every team and bring your best to every at bat. "There can be only one".....in each region.

hollywood
05-12-2014, 12:00 PM
My regional picks.

Region 1:
Andrews over Lubbock Cooper
Stephenville over Liberty Hill
Perryton over Presidio
Alvarado over Iowa Park

Region 2:
Melissa over Ferris
Pittsburg over North Lamar
Sanger over Argyle

Region 3:
Carthage over Caldwell
Silsbee over Splendora
College Station over Robinson
Bridge City over Huffman Hargrave

Region 4:
La Vernia over Cuero
Kingsville over Hidalgo
Yoakum over Needville
Sinton over Devine

BB BULLS
05-12-2014, 12:27 PM
My regional picks.

Region 1:
Perryton over Presidio
Alvarado over Iowa Park

Region 2:
Melissa over Ferris
Sanger over Argyle

Region 3:
Carthage over Caldwell
Silsbee over Splendora

Region 4:
La Vernia over Cuero
Kingsville over Hidalgo
Yoakum over Needville
Sinton over Devine

thats all looks pretty good only changes for me would be, region 1 I like LH over Da-Ville, Region 2 all good, Region 3 Caldwell over Carthage, Region 4 Needville over Yoakum. thats just my guess and that is all it is a guess. anything can happen in baseball. good luck to all the teams left. have fun and play hard. and before you ask i have only seen three of these teams play Caldwell, Needville & Yoakum.

Snotbubbles
05-12-2014, 12:57 PM
What happened to Gilmer? I recall some homers upset cause they never made the top 25, after they beat up on some creme puffs. Did they make the playoff's at all? If so, who knocked them out?

Aguilafanatico
05-12-2014, 01:13 PM
My regional picks.

Region 1:
Perryton over Presidio
Alvarado over Iowa Park

Region 2:
Melissa over Ferris
Sanger over Argyle

Region 3:
Carthage over Caldwell
Silsbee over Splendora

Region 4:
La Vernia over Cuero
Kingsville over Hidalgo
Yoakum over Needville
Sinton over Devine

Looks good Hollywood. Only changes I have are

Liberty Hill over Stephenville
Argyle over Sanger.

BB BULLS
05-12-2014, 01:18 PM
What happened to Gilmer? I recall some homers upset cause they never made the top 25, after they beat up on some creme puffs. Did they make the playoff's at all? If so, who knocked them out?

Pleasant Grove knocked that out in on gamer i think thats right

SintonFan_inAustin
05-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Region 1:
Lubbock Cooper over Andrews
Perryton over Presidio
Iowa Park over Alvarado

Region 2:
Melissa over Ferris
Argyle over Sanger

Region 3:
Carthage over Caldwell
Silsbee over Splendora
Robinson over College Station

Region 4:
Cuero over La Vernia
Hidalgo over Kingsville
Yoakum over Needville
Sinton over Devine

44INAROW
05-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Region 1:
Lubbock Cooper over Andrews
Perryton over Presidio
Iowa Park over Alvarado

Region 2:
Melissa over Ferris
Argyle over Sanger

Region 3:
Carthage over Caldwell
Silsbee over Splendora
Robinson over College Station

Region 4:
Cuero over La Vernia
Hidalgo over Kingsville
Yoakum over Needville
Sinton over Devine

I like the way you think SFIA :) Gobblers played well Saturday - hope they keep it up.. :) Boerne knocked us out in 2012 and 2013 nice to get passed that hurdle - haven't heard any details of the LV game -

hollywood
05-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Looks good Hollywood. Only changes I have are

Argyle over Sanger.

Ha, yeah the Ville over LH is a homer pick BUT I know the Jackets have depth in pitching. LH may be ranked higher but to me, rankings in HS baseball much less accurate than in football. Just my guess anyway.

That's how baseball go. ;)

hollywood
05-12-2014, 02:49 PM
thats all looks pretty good only changes for me would be, region 1 I like LH over Da-Ville, Region 2 all good, Region 3 Caldwell over Carthage, Region 4 Needville over Yoakum. thats just my guess and that is all it is a guess. anything can happen in baseball. good luck to all the teams left. have fun and play hard. and before you ask i have only seen three of these teams play Caldwell, Needville & Yoakum.

DA-Ville over DA-Hill... mark it down! Too much pitching for LH to handle. :taunt:

Aguilafanatico
05-12-2014, 03:05 PM
DA-Ville over DA-Hill... mark it down! Too much pitching for LH to handle. :taunt:

And Eagles over Indians using the same argument........Too much pitching to handle.

44INAROW
05-12-2014, 03:14 PM
The Cuero Gobblers vs La Vernia Bears - Regional Quarterfinals Baseball

Game 1 Thursday, May 15 - 7:30 PM San Antonio Northside field #2

Game 2 Saturday, May 17 - 2:00 PM Victoria Riverside Field

Game 3 Saturday, May 17 - 45 minutes after Victoria Riverside Field

Ticket prices are $6 for adults and $3 for students

hollywood
05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
And Eagles over Indians using the same argument........Too much pitching to handle.

Very possible! We all know how baseball goes sometimes too. A team can get hot as fast as cold. You just never know. Words of Wash... that's how baseball go.

Scoop27
05-12-2014, 04:37 PM

hollywood
05-12-2014, 04:46 PM
W8 Liberty Hill (26-5) Vs. W7 Stephenville (21-10-1)
Game 1: May 15th, 7:30, @Stephenville
Game 2: May 16th, 7:30, @Liberty Hill
Game 3: May 17th, 1:00, @Waco ISD

:thumbsup: ;)

regaleagle
05-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Was Iowa Park's schedule too weak, or did they just win the games that were on the schedule??? How good are they? Hollywood and a few others seem to think Alvarado will win that series, even though their record is not nearly as impressive. I tend to think a team that wins almost all its games must be pretty good, regardless of the competition. I go with consistency more than strength of schedule when looking at body of work in a full season's worth.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-14-2014, 01:09 AM
Was Iowa Park's schedule too weak, or did they just win the games that were on the schedule??? How good are they? Hollywood and a few others seem to think Alvarado will win that series, even though their record is not nearly as impressive. I tend to think a team that wins almost all its games must be pretty good, regardless of the competition. I go with consistency more than strength of schedule when looking at body of work in a full season's worth.Iowa Park will win :cool:

toddg
05-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Was Iowa Park's schedule too weak, or did they just win the games that were on the schedule??? How good are they? Hollywood and a few others seem to think Alvarado will win that series, even though their record is not nearly as impressive. I tend to think a team that wins almost all its games must be pretty good, regardless of the competition. I go with consistency more than strength of schedule when looking at body of work in a full season's worth.
Alvarado has good pitching, sound defense, and hot bats the last month or so...i like the Indians chances facing anybody at this point..18-5 isnt unimpressive..they just didnt play in alot of those "round robin" tournements during the start of season as alot of teams did. the Indians are hitting their stride at the right time..should be a good match up

refereedoc
05-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Alvarado has good pitching, sound defense, and hot bats the last month or so...i like the Indians chances facing anybody at this point..18-5 isnt unimpressive..they just didnt play in alot of those "round robin" tournements during the start of season as alot of teams did. the Indians are hitting their stride at the right time..should be a good match up

IP better look out for Big D Lemons, he is the read deal!

regaleagle
05-14-2014, 11:28 PM
So you're saying they could well be 24-5 or so....if they had played more games like many other teams in the playoffs. Then their record would "seem" to look more impressive, right? Or something in that range, anyways.

cowboyandchrist
05-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Very possible! We all know how baseball goes sometimes too. A team can get hot as fast as cold. You just never know. Words of Wash... that's how baseball go.

Baseball = tradition= Carthage and Pleasant Grove. Those are my two picks going to Austin.

regaleagle
05-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Now Cowboy's picking the final in Austin, haha.....and of course one of the teams is CARTHAGE. Nothing wrong with homerism, but I'd hafta say that there are some very good teams out there still alive that have every bit the same chance as any other team to make it to Austin.....just depends on how all the games turn out in each region. And what has happened in the past has very little significance on what will happen this time around.....unlike football. Personally, I have Carthage making it to their regional final against College Station....but that means very little and is simply a "wild pick" among all the teams left in that region. Just the same for my Argyle Eagles team in Region 2. First, they have to get by Sanger this week. Then it depends on if Pleasant Grove can win their series this week against Paris. And what about Melissa vs Ferris, and Pittsburg vs North Lamar? The point is any of the teams left could end up in Austin as long as they keep winning their series, and in baseball one little hiccup by a team could change the whole matchup outlook going forward. It really is an unpredictable type of situation. But it's fun to pick your teams, anyway. Go Eagles, haha.

hollywood
05-15-2014, 11:48 PM
Baseball = tradition= Carthage and Pleasant Grove. Those are my two picks going to Austin.

Ouch, hope Carthage has more in the bag for Saturday's game. 15-1 loss against Caldwell tonight must sting.

hollywood
05-15-2014, 11:54 PM
Great game tonight in Stephenville. But it was a tough loss for the Jackets. Liberty Hill rallied like they do and took the lead in the 7th to win 4-3. Stephenville lead most of the game 2-1 and went up 3-1 heading into the top of the 7th.

Game 2 in LH tomorrow.

Maddux Conger to pitch for the Jackets. Need a win!

Rabid Cougar
05-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Thursday night game. Colllege Station 8 Robinson 1

regaleagle
05-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Well it's now Friday evening at 6:15 pm.....a BIG nite for the baseball playoff picture in 3A. Everybody be sure to post your scores here later.....even if your team lost. Some that played on Thurs. nite could be eliminated by the end of tonite's games. I think every matchup in 3A this week is a best of 3 series. Good luck to all the teams still fighting for a chance to play again next week. My Argyle Eagles have one of the better matchups of this week's playoffs with a very dangerous Sanger Indians ballclub. I'ma hoping Argyle comes ready to play some quality, sound, defensive baseball against this baserunning-crazy Sanger bunch. Just hafta keep 'em in check as much as possible and score when you get the chance.

defense51
05-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Iowa Park 3
Alvarado 0

regaleagle
05-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Top 5th, bases loaded, one out. Argyle batting.....Sanger making a pitching change. 8-3 Argyle so far.

regaleagle
05-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Iowa Park 3
Alvarado 0

Is this a Game 1 final???

defense51
05-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Is this a Game 1 final???

yes :crying:

regaleagle
05-16-2014, 10:02 PM
Sanger pulls within 8-7 of Argyle with a 2-run opposite field blast from their best player, Ted Wisdom. They say he's only struck out twice all year.

I don't know who's pitching for Argyle, or what inning they're in. I'm getting Ben Baby tweets off the Denton Record Chronicle.

regaleagle
05-16-2014, 10:07 PM
I would suspect Parker Mushinski(TTech) was the starter tonite, but I really don't know for sure. Maybe somebody came in late for relief and boom....there goes one over the fence. Total conjecture by me at this point. But the homer by Wisdom isn't.

regaleagle
05-16-2014, 10:17 PM
Yep....that's what happened. Mushinski walked the first two batters in Sanger's bottom of the 5th on 4 pitches each, then threw a wild pitch to advance the runners to 2nd and 3rd. Quinton Rockwell was sent in and threw one down the middle to Wisdom....bingo. Three more runs for Sanger. That's what I know so far. According to Adam Boedecker of the DRC, the fans have shown up in droves for this game. Must be a wild one. It started at 8 pm in Ponder.....so it was a scheduled later start than you would expect.

regaleagle
05-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Sanger takes the lead with a 2-run single in the bottom of the 6th. It's now Sanger 9-8. When Argyle gets behind late with a relief pitcher on the mound, it will be tough for them to win. That's what is happening here. Sanger is just a good-hitting ballclub and will put the bat on the ball. Argyle's strength is it's starting pitching.

regaleagle
05-16-2014, 10:34 PM
After 6 innings, it's Sanger 10 Argyle 8. Sanger is sending in its closer in the top of the 7th, their 6th pitcher of the game. Argyle Ace Drew Gooch will start for the Eagles in tomorrow's game which starts at noon. A third game will follow thereafter if necessary. Looks like Sanger will do whatever is necessary pitchingwise to win this first one. I think their ace Scott can pitch tomorrow because he didn't get out of the first tonite.

regaleagle
05-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Sanger 10
Argyle 8

Final. Game 1 in the series. Argyle had Sanger on the ropes after 4 1/2, but didn't put them away when they had the chance. Bases loaded with one out winning 8-3 in the top of the 5th and didn't score. Immediately Mushinski throws 9 straight balls to start the bottom of the 5th and is pulled. That's when the game changed. Boedecker tweets that many are complaining about the way the pitches were being called behind the plate. That's the way it goes in high school baseball. Should have scored when you had em on the ropes. Or played better defense. Good comeback by the Sanger Indians. At this level in the playoffs, every move and every mistake can cost you the game. Composure and steady solid baseball goes a looong way at this juncture, esp. with a big lead.

Roughneck93
05-16-2014, 10:58 PM
Quarterfinal matchups updated....

regaleagle
05-16-2014, 10:58 PM
College Station sweeps Robinson with a 3-0 win tonite. CS advances to the next round.

Rocket Man
05-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Not that it changes the outcome but it was 3-1

panfan
05-17-2014, 06:20 AM
LH takes the series over Stephenville with an 11-1 win last night. Way to go boys, keep it rolling. LH softball girls lose a close one to Snyder, 2-1. Game two today at around 1:00. Lets go ladies, get out there and take care of bidness!

cowboyandchrist
05-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Ouch, hope Carthage has more in the bag for Saturday's game. 15-1 loss against Caldwell tonight must sting.

Wow did not see that one coming, guess I better stick to football, but the Dawgs are know for come backs. Lets go Dawgs !!

Rabid Cougar
05-17-2014, 09:04 AM
Thursday night game. Colllege Station 8 Robinson 1

Friday night game: College Station 3 Robinson 1

I eat my words.

I also think back to the 5 run first inning in the 10-7 loss in the 2nd game of the CS vs CS series. Man. :dispntd:

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Friday night game: College Station 3 Robinson 1

I eat my words.

I also think back to the 5 run first inning in the 10-7 loss in the 2nd game of the CS vs CS series. Man. :dispntd:

Yes, you have all summer to ponder this on the tree of woe, lol.

Rabid Cougar
05-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Yes, you have all summer to ponder this on the tree of woe, lol.

Nope, just for an instance. I am now offically retired from being a sports parent.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Argyle vs. Sanger in Game 2 today. In the bottom of the 6th, Argyle extends its lead to 5-2 with 2 runs scored on several hits as Sanger changes pitches. Now Mushinski doubles to drive in another run. It's 6-2 now still in the 6th, scoring Boyzuick from 2nd. You can LISTEN LIVE to the rest of this game and GAME 3 to follow on Sportsgram. Just google it up and find Argyle vs Sanger, hit the Listen Live button.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Argyle 6
Sanger 3

Final Game 2. Drew Gooch goes the distance as Argyle forces a Game 3 in the series. Argyle ends it on a double play. Game 3 upcoming.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Game 3 to begin in about 15 min. It appears with each team using its best pitchers up in the earlier 2 games, the lower tier pitchers will be used at least somewhat in this game. It may come down to which team gets hottest at the plate and which team plays the best defense. I personally feel Argyle still has the pitching edge and has used less of their staff than Sanger to this point. But both teams will call upon their best players if necessary to advance to the next round. The winner here will face Pleasant Grove next week in the Region 2 semi.....a perennial State contender each season and generally one of 3A's best baseball programs.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Melissa vs Ferris was to get underway today @ 2pm for Game 3 of that series in the other quarterfinal matchup for Region 2. So far, you have Paris N. Lamar advancing over Pittsburg, and Pleasant Grove knocking off Paris to advance to next week's regional semis.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Looks like Argyle/Sanger will start right at 3 pm for Game 3 on Sportsgram. Looks like Argyle will be the home team and have the last bat in this one. Hunter Markwardt is starting on the mound for Argyle. He's Argyle's #3 starting pitcher this season and has a very low ERA. Quick 3 up/ 3 down for Markwardt and Argyle in the top half of the 1st. Argyle will come to the plate now to start the bottom half of the 1st. Ross Scott, Sanger's #1 starter, will start this game for Sanger. He has a good fastball, but Argyle may prefer to face his style of pitching over a "junk baller". Scott was chased from the mound in the 1st inning by the Eagles in Game 1 of this series.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Technical audio difficulties for Sportsgram, but it shows Argyle leading 3-0 in the third.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Still no audio on the game, but the screen shows 7-0 in the bottom of the 3rd. Now in the bottom of the 4th, the screen shows 6-0 Argyle. I guess they got a one-run penalty somehow, lol.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 04:16 PM
After 4 1/2 innings, lefty Hunter Markwardt is holding Sanger scoreless. Eagles lead 6-0. The audio on Sportsgram is back up and running. Sanger evidently changed pitchers somewhere down the line. Argyle scored 5 runs in the 3rd inning. They are now batting in the bottom of the 5th.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 04:27 PM
After 5 1/3, Argyle will pull Markwardt for a new pitcher. He walked a pinch-hitter and is probably done. Ricky Boyd will step to the mound to face Ted Wisdom....Sanger's big bat. Wisdom hits a curve ball soft grounder to short and Tanner Boyzuick bobbles it....otherwise he just had to step on 2nd and throw to first for a double play.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Austin Lang drives in 2 with a 2-out single against Boyd. Sanger gets its first 2 runs of the ballgame. He had a homer earlier in Game 2. So the error at short cost Argyle 2 runs.....like it does all the time in baseball, its seems. Boyd now strikes out the next Sanger hitter to end the top of the 5th.
Argyle 6
Sanger 2

Bottom of the 5th upcoming.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Righthander Lang Elrod now pitching for Sanger. Also a new catcher, but they don't have his name. Immediately Brandon Boyzuick drives one over the right field fence, but the wind carried it foul. Check that, it was brother Tanner Boyzuick.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Top of the 7th. Argyle 6 Sanger 2.
Argyle needs 3 outs to advance to next week's matchup series against Pleasant Grove

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Ricky Boyd is on the mound to try to close it out. Lead off single by Sanger. It ain't over til it's over.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 04:43 PM
A line shot to 3rd base and Brandon Boyzuick snags it, then fires it to first to double off the runner to end the game. Argyle advances to the next round. Boyzuick signed earlier this season to play ball at the next level, but I forget who the college was.

Final

Argyle 6
Sanger 2

Congrats to the Sanger Indians(25-8-1) on a very successful season....it's best in school history.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Argyle(27-8-1) will face Pleasant Grove in the Region 2 semifinals next week. A PG coach was at the games today and will meet with Coach Ricky Griffin for next week's coin toss for the series upcoming. They're out there now negotiating a time and place for the series. These coaches know each other very well. No coin toss yet. Looks like they are just trying to work it out without a flip. The Argyle Broadcast Crew says they may stay on air to get the results for next week's series. Pleasant Grove has eliminated Argyle twice in the past, so this is not a new thing to either coach. Looks like a decision has been made.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Okay here it is....direct to Texas Downlowers first. I doubt seriously whether it will be a one-gamer. Hold it....nothing has been decided at all. To be continued, haha.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 05:12 PM
The last game Sanger lost before today was against Argyle on March 18. They had won 15 in a row before today. Argyle's lone loss to Sanger last night was its first loss all season to a 3A ballclub. I guess it woke them up to reality today.

defense51
05-17-2014, 07:46 PM
Game 2 final

Iowa Park 2
Alvarado 1

Iowa Park advances

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Game 2 final

Iowa Park 2
Alvarado 1

Iowa Park advances

That sets up a Liberty Hill/Iowa Park Region 1 showdown. Do they meet next week?

Rocket Man
05-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Nope, just for an instance. I am now offically retired from being a sports parent.

As am I.

Now, I'm a 100% Cheer Daddy.

regaleagle
05-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Melissa defeats Ferris 8-1 in Game 3 of that series to advance. They get Paris N. Lamar next week in the regional semi. The winner will face the winner of Argyle/Pleasant Grove in the regional final for Region 2. Most games now tend to go with a 3 game series, but not necessarily. Personally, I would like to see all playoff games have a 3-game series requirement. Then if the lower seeded or lower-ranked team wins....they earned it best of 3.

Rabid Cougar
05-18-2014, 09:53 AM
As am I.

Now, I'm a 100% Cheer Daddy.

God help you.