PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft 2014

caleb_mccaig
05-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Might as well get it started. Texans have been on the clock for awhile! Now, I hate Houston but I'm curious what you Texan fans would prefer, a trade or Clowney/Manziel or other?

SintonFan_inAustin
05-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Might as well get it started. Texans have been on the clock for awhile! Now, I hate Houston but I'm curious what you Texan fans would prefer, a trade or Clowney/Manziel or other?

is that today? Isn't it usually on a Saturday?

Roughneck93
05-08-2014, 11:02 AM

First round is tonight.

caleb_mccaig
05-08-2014, 11:23 AM

Yeah, for the last two-three years they've done the first round on Thursday night and then 2-3 rounds on Friday and then they finish it Saturday.

Roughneck93
05-08-2014, 11:57 AM
I say the Texans take Clowney.

BB BULLS
05-08-2014, 12:16 PM
what if they was to suprise everyone and take a rec like Watkins. i know that would be real high to take him, but you just never know what they are thinking

YTBulldogs
05-08-2014, 12:57 PM
I say the Texans take Clowney.

:iagree:

Cam
05-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Well...word I'm hearin' is Dallas might finally get a chance to draft a good one today!....Apparently, Mr. Jones couldn't cancel his plastic surgery appt...And I heard this from 1310's The Ticket's Bob Sturm.......so today, he'll be havin' a scrotal sac reduction procedure done.....that does not sound like much fun if you ask me!.......Dallas coaches might be safe from Mr. Jones for the rest of the draft as well since in some cases after this procedure, folks will lose their voice!!...Or at the very least, a squeaky high pitched voice that's hard to understand!......Can't imagine Jerry speechless!....Go Cowboys!!

I think they're gettin' UCLA's Barr today.............

movethechain
05-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Well...word I'm hearin' is Dallas might finally get a chance to draft a good one today!....Apparently, Mr. Jones couldn't cancel his plastic surgery appt...And I heard this from 1310's The Ticket's Bob Sturm.......so today, he'll be havin' a scrotal sac reduction procedure done.....that does not sound like much fun if you ask me!.......Dallas coaches might be safe from Mr. Jones for the rest of the draft as well since in some cases after this procedure, folks will lose their voice!!...Or at the very least, a squeaky high pitched voice that's hard to understand!......Can't imagine Jerry speechless!....Go Cowboys!!

I think they're gettin' UCLA's Barr today.............

Hey Cam, you had me going there for a moment until I remembered that Jerry has no cajones, thus no need for a scrotal sac reduction. If he had any he would have fired himself long ago for gross incompetence micro managing 'da boys' roster.

Saggy Aggie
05-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Probably take Clowney. I want Manziel obviously....

Trade would be good. This is an incredibly deep draft. I'd be happy with any of those three options. I'm gonna cry if they draft Bortles.... He's the next Gabbert

1st and goal
05-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Probably take Clowney. I want Manziel obviously....

Trade would be good. This is an incredibly deep draft. I'd be happy with any of those three options. I'm gonna cry if they draft Bortles.... He's the next Gabbert

Watched a replay of the Fiesta bowl UCF vs Baylor early this AM. Couldn't sleep. Bortles ran the ball well, not nearly as good as JF can run, but he followed his blockers well on designed keepers. He is tough though.

Roughneck93
05-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Texans locked in on pick?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/08/report-texans-are-locked-in-on-pick-not-expecting-trade/

Roughneck93
05-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Browns fans headed to the draft....

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--ya7FW6ks--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/vtcgbykfr1ey8pc3otnu.jpg

Factory of sadness.

:D

hollywood
05-08-2014, 04:26 PM
2 hours 33 minutes

CelinaCatFan
05-08-2014, 05:12 PM
The Texans will trade down. Most likely with Jacksonville...possibly Cleveland.

Macarthur
05-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Texans locked in on pick?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/08/report-texans-are-locked-in-on-pick-not-expecting-trade/

It has to be clowney, doesn't it?

Roughneck93
05-08-2014, 06:07 PM
It has to be clowney, doesn't it?

I believe so Mac.

YTBulldogs
05-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Super pick Houston. I still don't think they need a QB till 5th-7th round. Hint: AJ McCarron.

YTBulldogs
05-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Damn, even the Raiders avoided Football. And, they love those misfit types. If TB don't take him at #7, maybe Dallas has a chance? Jerry wants the money. And Football will put them ags in those seats in Big D. Plus, I don't like Romo's back issues. Heck, maybe Dallas trades up since Football is still on the board this late, and secures him?

cougartino
05-08-2014, 07:57 PM
I need Minnesota or Cleveland to draft Johnny. NOW!

Saggy Aggie
05-08-2014, 08:28 PM
For the love of God, not Dallas....

defense51
05-08-2014, 08:37 PM
For the love of God, not Dallas....

Looks like it could be...

Cam
05-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Even though Jerry can't speak right now, he's written down instructions......Dallas will trade out!!

Roughneck93
05-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Even though Jerry can't speak right now, he's written down instructions......Dallas will trade out!!

Yeah....with the Browns.

Cam
05-08-2014, 08:46 PM
:spitlol:....Pittsburgh ain't takin' JF.....Jerry wants to jump up and down....but he can't right now.....it's gonna get interesting here in a few minutes......

Cam
05-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Crap....I feelin' a little sick right now.....I think I'm switchin' over to American Idol!......:doh:

Cam
05-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Jerry's stitches just fell off!......

Cam
05-08-2014, 08:51 PM
1 minute left....it's a trade.....

Cam
05-08-2014, 08:56 PM
.....and I thought it was gonna be a safety......hey, can never go wrong with a nasty lineman.......

Tejastrue
05-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Aint nobody buying into the hype. Manziel gonna land in Cleveland. :weeping:

Phil C
05-08-2014, 09:01 PM
The Cowboys just blew a great pick in Manziel. Still not too shocking the way they have done lately.

Cam
05-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Aint nobody buying into the hype. Manziel gonna land in Cleveland. :weeping:

I don't think so Tejas....my nephew, who works for Fox Sports in LA, told me he heard Cleveland won't pick JF.....IDK....my nephew can be a lyin' sonbitch sometimes!.....

regaleagle
05-08-2014, 09:16 PM
JF is finding out how much emphasis is put on size at the qb position in the NFL. Not only that, he's not the Pro-style pocket passer most scouts look for. For an early first-rounder, he just doesn't have the pedigree to be comparable to whatever other choices are available at all the positions....not just qb. So it looks like he will go late first or early 2nd like he should. He cannot help a team immediately, imo. The Cowboys made a quality pick.

YTBulldogs
05-08-2014, 09:20 PM
The Cowboys made a quality pick.

Hope he can play some defense too?:doh:

Yes, Jerry's at the controls still.

regaleagle
05-08-2014, 09:34 PM
A quality pick will be a player that is considered to be among the best available at his position in the first round, and has proven credentials against stiff competition during his career at the college level. And a Notre Damer on the O-line with longterm potential is a great pick, imo.

Tejastrue
05-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Another solid/versatile lineman to complement Frederick.

Roughneck93
05-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Eagles just traded with Cleveland....JFF?

Roughneck93
05-08-2014, 09:42 PM
A quality pick will be a player that is considered to be among the best available at his position in the first round, and has proven credentials against stiff competition during his career at the college level. And a Notre Damer on the O-line with longterm potential is a great pick, imo.

I like the pick as well.

Tejastrue
05-08-2014, 09:44 PM
I don't think so Tejas....my nephew, who works for Fox Sports in LA, told me he heard Cleveland won't pick JF.....IDK....my nephew can be a lyin' sonbitch sometimes!.....

You were saying??:wave:

YTBulldogs
05-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Johnny Football to Browns.

YTBulldogs
05-08-2014, 09:46 PM

While we get outscored 50-49.

Cam
05-08-2014, 09:47 PM
You were saying??:wave:

:spitlol:.....I told ya he was a lyin' sonbitch!!!....I'm gonna have to have a talk with my sister about that boy!!!......gee wiz......

YTBulldogs
05-08-2014, 09:49 PM
That murderer Ray Lewis, giving his 2 cents on Manziel and how to play QB, I see. LOL. He knew better than Chuckie John Gruden atleast. Gruden finally got his pick right. Had JM going each of the first 22 picks.

Roughneck93
05-08-2014, 09:49 PM

Remember, we have a QB coming off back surgery. Need to protect him....

Roughneck93
05-08-2014, 09:51 PM
:D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t1.0-9/10330465_717511771628847_4744639890971492529_n.jpg

Cam
05-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Johnny's girlfriend just broke up with him!......saying, "I ain't goin' to that stinkin' town!.....and they don't even have a logo!".......

Tejastrue
05-08-2014, 10:09 PM

No doubt they need defensive help but I understand why they did it. With this pick I think the Cowboys' solidified their OL for now and future years.

YTBulldogs
05-08-2014, 10:10 PM
johnny's girlfriend just broke up with him!......saying, "i ain't goin' to that stinkin' town!.....and they don't even have a logo!".......

rotfl

YTBulldogs
05-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Knowing lil'Johnny, he'll not even show up in Clev.

Tejastrue
05-08-2014, 10:25 PM
How many are drinking "draft" beer tonight? lol

YTBulldogs
05-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Hou misses getting B'water by one pick. He goes last pick in round 1, and Hou has 1st pick in 2nd round.

bobcat1
05-08-2014, 10:58 PM

I like the pick as well.I like it too. It was a safe pick. Would've liked to see a safety or corner taken but maybe tomorrow.

bobcat1
05-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Hou misses getting B'water by one pick. He goes last pick in round 1, and Hou has 1st pick in 2nd round. Probably going to take Carr tomorrow

Phil C
05-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Cleveland got a steal!

Did you all know the great actor Paul Newman was from Cleveland.

YTBulldogs
05-08-2014, 11:21 PM
Probably going to take Carr tomorrow

Hope not. I'd wait on AJ a few more rounds later then. B'water, would of been a solid first two selections. Damn, they almost did it.

Blue42
05-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Going to Goodwill tomorrow and see if I can find some old Texans Carr #8 shirts that would be funny (maybe)

Blue42
05-09-2014, 03:21 AM
Going to Goodwill tomorrow and see if I can find some old Texans Carr #8 shirts that would be funny (maybe)

Déjà-vu

D'Highlander
05-09-2014, 05:43 AM
I like it too. It was a safe pick. Would've liked to see a safety or corner taken but maybe tomorrow.

Worst D in the league... almost worst ever and we pick another guy to protect Romo. I bet Rod was pissed.

Macarthur
05-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Worst D in the league... almost worst ever and we pick another guy to protect Romo. I bet Rod was pissed.

We all know, including the organization, that DL help is needed. However, you can't reach so far simply out of need. There was not a DL in that area that matched up with the value. This draft has a huge number of DL guys in the 2nd and 3rd range. I suspect they go very heavy defense next with the possiblity of a WR mixed in somewhere around the 4th or 5th round.

D'Highlander
05-09-2014, 09:42 AM
After the Cowboys pick, 11 of the 16 picks were on the D side of the ball. (4 S, 2 DE, 1 LB, 1 DT, 3 CB) So there wouldn't have been any reaching and last year proved that the Boys need help at ALL defensive positions.

YTBulldogs
05-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Why ya'll think JJ will draft a team's need first while quality is there? Has he ever? Just keep going to his home games, and things will never change. He has the XBox controller, and making a mint while playing the game.

caleb_mccaig
05-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Really liked the Cowboys pick, I knew if Martin or Clinton-Dix were there then they would pass on Johnny. I know a lot of people are worried about not picking on the defensive side of the ball, but this draft is extremely deep and I think we'll certainly address defense eventually.

If you're judging the Cowboys pick, take a look at the 49ers...from 2007-2010 they took three o-lineman. I think one of the most important parts in a team is the stability in the o-line and I think we may have just one of the best in the next few years with Frederick, Smith and Martin. The next guy won't have to run for his life.

I know everyone who is a big Manziel fan is probably somewhat upset...just think about this though, they Browns made their already pretty good defense even better with the Justin Gilbert pick AND they finally have someone to throw to the best WR in the league in Flash Gordon, can't forget Jordan Cameron too. I think the Browns future is actually looking up.

Cam
05-09-2014, 10:06 AM
2nd rounder:

Wouldn't mind Dallas grabbing one of these fellas:
DT - Tuitt - Notre Dame
DT - Jernigan - Florida State .....but those two will probably be gone.
Wouldn't surprise to see Dallas select another Eastern Illinois QB - Jimmy Garappolo
Good DE's still there. Demarcus Lawrence - Boise St.
Another kid who will be solid is LB/DE Trent Murphy from Stanford.....
lots of good WR's still out there too....

Hell, IDK.....:vrycnfsd:

Macarthur
05-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Why ya'll think JJ will draft a team's need first while quality is there? Has he ever? Just keep going to his home games, and things will never change. He has the XBox controller, and making a mint while playing the game.

I'm as frustred with JJ as anyone for what he's done to my proud fanchise, but what exactly is your beef with this pick? Who else would you have picked there?

YTBulldogs
05-09-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm as frustred with JJ as anyone for what he's done to my proud fanchise, but what exactly is your beef with this pick? Who else would you have picked there?

Any player, that play's a position on the the side of the ball they have issues with, DEFENSE. When your last in "D", get it some help via proven quality. Now, JJ will try and show us he knows defense quality on his own. The 13th or 15th rated overall player would of been a nice start to get that secondary some help. Yes, Martin is nice, but--ain't our issue.

caleb_mccaig
05-09-2014, 10:24 AM
2nd rounder:

Wouldn't mind Dallas grabbing one of these fellas:
DT - Tuitt - Notre Dame
DT - Jernigan - Florida State .....but those two will probably be gone.
Wouldn't surprise to see Dallas select another Eastern Illinois QB - Jimmy Garappolo
Good DE's still there. Demarcus Lawrence - Boise St.
Another kid who will be solid is LB/DE Trent Murphy from Stanford.....
lots of good WR's still out there too....

Hell, IDK.....:vrycnfsd:

Only WR I would be fine with taking here is Latimer from Indiana. I like the Jernigan pick, but I'm afraid we won't bolster the defensive line anymore. One guy I would like to see us get late is safety Craig Loston. He'll probably be there in the 5th round.

Macarthur
05-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Any player, that play's a position on the the side of the ball they have issues with, DEFENSE. When your last in "D", get it some help via proven quality. Now, JJ will try and show us he knows defense quality on his own. The 13th or 15th rated overall player would of been a nice start to get that secondary some help. Yes, Martin is nice, but--ain't our issue.

I agree we need defense. Who would you have taken at 16?

YTBulldogs
05-09-2014, 10:31 AM
I agree we need defense. Who would you have taken at 16?

The 12th, 13th or 16th rated players, who play "D". Moseley, Dennard or Dix.

Macarthur
05-09-2014, 10:44 AM

Fair enough on Moseley. He would have been a fit. However, what if the Cowboys board had Martin as say the 11th best player and Moseley as the 18th? That's a really wide gap. Assuming that's somewhat accurate, don't they have to take the higher rated player?

And Dennard and Dix were taken in the 20s. If Martin was somewhere around 10 or so on the Cowboys board, you are advocating them drafting almost a half a round higher than a player was on their board just so they could be a defensive player?

This is one reason why I think bitching about this type of thing, while fun, is somewhat fruitless (at this point until we see these guys play) without knowing Dallas' board. Now, if they had Martin at 11 and Dix at 13, I think you have a great point. But I think it's pretty clear they didn't think that. Now, going down your path, I actually think Pryor would have been a good pick there at 16. I think you could make a good case that Pryor made more sense there than Martin, but not Dennard or Dix.

YTBulldogs
05-09-2014, 11:45 AM
I just believe you plug the holes you've been enduring with the first pick, finally. Just me. Like I said, this Martin guy is a beast, but--it's not why we been losing. Maybe they got a trade in the mix with him?

Macarthur
05-09-2014, 12:14 PM
I doubt on the trade thing.

IMO, they have to go defense heavy from here on out or I will join you in being very critical.

YTBulldogs
05-09-2014, 12:22 PM
I doubt on the trade thing.

IMO, they have to go defense heavy from here on out or I will join you in being very critical.

They better get a QB (hopefully AJ McCarron) somewhere. Romo's back issue is a major concern. Ask another great, who was about the same age (Aikman) and only had one back surgery compared to Romo's two. We all know how much pounding a QB takes, and now you have someone who's 34, with a body part very important in being able to throw the ball.

AJ (I'd be happy if Hou took him too) would be a perfect fit for Dallas and learning a year or two (should Tony survive from injury) from Romo. AJ is a dedicated preparer, loves the X's and O's, and lives in film study -- his coach says. Plus, he is a 5 year starter, at a program that runs an NFL style offense. And, he don't seek the glory, just leads the playmakers in some big wins in his career. He'd be a better fit in Dallas, than Hou. Just for sitting and learning from a great one before being a starter.

bobcat1
05-09-2014, 01:18 PM
I think the pick filled a glaring need. Every defense in the league knows how much it affects Romo with a push up the middle on pass rush. Get in his face and neutralize him. This guy from Notre Dame can help address that. This draft is real deep on defense. Remember quite a few of our starters if not all were out most of last year.

Macarthur
05-09-2014, 01:42 PM
One name to watch is the DE Lawrence out of Boise. Like him quite a bit. Will be interesting because Dallas may need to move up to get him.

msu97
05-09-2014, 01:57 PM
This was a good pick for the Cowboys, only if they commit to the run game more.... running the ball effectively and sticking to it also helps your defense... they do need some defense help, but this is good...
which is why I hope the Texans will draft the lineman from Alabama Kouandijo... or however it is spelled... run the ball, play defense

Macarthur
05-09-2014, 02:06 PM
EVeryone needs to remember that in addition to Melton, Dallas signed T. McClain and J. Mincey. While those guys aren't studs, they are rotational guys that are better than the folks they brought off the trash heap last year. They also will have Crawford coming off injury.

If they can add two solid rotational guys that could be good players in a year or two, I think this offseason is a step in the right direction.

D'Highlander
05-09-2014, 02:12 PM
only if they commit to the run game more....

LOL :helpme:

Cam
05-09-2014, 02:13 PM
EVeryone needs to remember that in addition to Melton, Dallas signed T. McClain and J. Mincey. While those guys aren't studs, they are rotational guys that are better than the folks they brought off the trash heap last year. They also will have Crawford coming off injury.

If they can add two solid rotational guys that could be good players in a year or two, I think this offseason is a step in the right direction.

Good points! And don't forget Sam Bass. He was getting some high praise before he got hurt as well.

Cam
05-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Whomever you're talkin' bout must be a real Dix!:vrycnfsd:.......are you meaning Louis Nix of Notre Dame??.....gosh darnit YT.....

YTBulldogs
05-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Whomever you're talkin' bout must be a real Dix!:vrycnfsd:.......are you meaning Louis Nix of Notre Dame??.....gosh darnit YT.....

Heehaw or whatever his name is. Draft ID# BR549

carter08
05-09-2014, 04:15 PM
My hope for Houston tonight:

Trade down a few spots, pick up a 4th rounder. Use the second round pick on Louis Nix.

Cam
05-09-2014, 04:34 PM

Trade down a few spots, pick up a 4th rounder. Use the second round pick on Louis Nix.

well that's all good and fine....but you sure it ain't Louis Dix??....YT's got me all confused now....and now he's throwin' Heehaw phone numbers at me!!

"Where, oh where, are you tonight?
Why did you leave me here all alone?
I searched the world over, and I thought I'd found true love,
You met another, and PFFT! You was gone!"

....this...is all Greendawg's fault!....

YTBulldogs
05-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Mac, you nailed this one. Caught all off guard on this one. I wonder why no one had a clue, or had him this high? Thought ESPN'ers were gonna fall out of their chairs.

Now, that's more like it Cowboys. Drafted a guy in Dallas style-mode, who if he (Lawrence) isn't on the field, will be in jail or suspended, based on his past. Least he can play defense. And, run's a 4.89 forty. Slowest amongst all D-liners at combines. Watch that upfield pressure , end containment coming. Go Jerry go!!!!!

YTBulldogs
05-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Mac, my only question on Lawrence, why did they trade to obtain him here? No one had him on radar it appears. Not with his combine numbers. And, to a division opponent too boot.:doh: No way Tex would of ever traded to a division opponent for something you could of got in a late round.

Cam
05-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Mac, my only question on Lawrence, why did they trade to obtain him here? No one had him on radar it appears. Not with his combine numbers. And, to a division opponent too boot.:doh: No way Tex would of ever traded to a division opponent for something you could of got in a late round.

Hey YT....did you know Mac backwards is Cam?....:eek:....what does it all mean???.....

YTBulldogs
05-09-2014, 09:24 PM
Hey YT....did you know Mac backwards is Cam?....:eek:....what does it all mean???.....

Kinfolk.:wave:

Saggy Aggie
05-09-2014, 09:56 PM

How bout trade UP and get him in the THIRD??? Good enough? :)

cougartino
05-10-2014, 04:42 PM
This draft proves Mack Brown just destroyed UT football.

cougartino
05-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Okay the Rams drafted Michael Sam. I get this was the Rams' choice. God bless 'em. But to draft a guy just because he's gay flies in the face of non-discrimination. If Sam had Clowney like talent, I'd highly question if he weren't drafted until the 7th round. But what about Sam Michael who had better numbers? Will there be any outcry of he goes undrafted?

bobcat1
05-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Okay the Rams drafted Michael Sam. I get this was the Rams' choice. God bless 'em. But to draft a guy just because he's gay flies in the face of non-discrimination. If Sam had Clowney like talent, I'd highly question if he weren't drafted until the 7th round. But what about Sam Michael who had better numbers? Will there be any outcry of he goes undrafted?
Agree!

cougartino
05-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Fisher said it's not a distraction. LOL! Yes it is because that's all the media is going to talk about.

Macarthur
05-11-2014, 01:22 PM

They were saying on the ticket that Atlanta a couple of picks after the one Dallas got wanted Lawrence.

Eagle 1
05-13-2014, 02:42 PM
The Cowboys are slowly sinking to the bottom of the NFC east.
Sad...

carter08
05-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Fisher said it's not a distraction. LOL! Yes it is because that's all the media is going to talk about.

Look at the Nets-- sure, there was initially some media attention when they signed Jason Collins, but it didn't seem to distract them. In fact, they put up great numbers post All-Star Break & advanced to the second round of the NBA playoffs. Jeff Fisher runs a tight ship, Michael Sam is playing in a pretty friendly media market, & I don't think this is going to be a distraction for the Rams.

Macarthur
05-13-2014, 03:55 PM
The Cowboys are slowly sinking to the bottom of the NFC east.
Sad...

So who has 'passed' them. They split with Philly and beat NY and Wash both times last year. They were 5-1 in the division. Do you feel that there has been some major shift in the division?

caleb_mccaig
05-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Would just like to address all the Cowboy haters and say the Boys are following the formula of the 49ers.

In 07 they took Joe Staley in 1st rd and then 2010 they used both of their first round picks on OT Anthony Davis and OG Mike Iupati and built the rest of the line through FA and later draft picks and now they're widely regarded as having the best OL in the league. I think it's a good formula to follow, if you get a decent RB (Gore) and a VERY average QB, which both Kaepernick and Smith are, then you can win games. Since they used those first round picks they've drafted three defensive players and have had success in the middle rounds defensively and through FA. I know people think the Cowboys are done but it's a slow rebuild.

BTW, Tyron Smith (Pro Bowler, and one of the best LT in the league), Travis Frederick and Zack Martin are all 23. The o-line is probably solidified for the next decade.

Next year (2015-2016) Dallas will have a good amount of cash for free agency and I think that could be their best/last shot at making any kind of a run into the playoffs.

cougartino
05-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Look at the Nets-- sure, there was initially some media attention when they signed Jason Collins, but it didn't seem to distract them. In fact, they put up great numbers post All-Star Break & advanced to the second round of the NBA playoffs. Jeff Fisher runs a tight ship, Michael Sam is playing in a pretty friendly media market, & I don't think this is going to be a distraction for the Rams.

I'm talking externally. And this is the macho world of football. ESPN, NFLN, MSNBC, Keith Olbermann, and the like are not going to let us forget it. Remember those colorful uniforms they tried in the World Football League? I'm willing to bet that one day real soon, there will be a Rainbow Sunday in the NFL where instead of team colors, players will wearing rainbow colored socks, shoes, armbands, and the refs will be throwing rainbow colored flags. Don't laugh.

Eagle 1
05-13-2014, 04:06 PM
So who has 'passed' them. They split with Philly and beat NY and Wash both times last year. They were 5-1 in the division. Do you feel that there has been some major shift in the division?

Just stating the obvious. At one time Dallas owned the NFC east, and now they can't even make the playoffs.
This year will be no different than last year. Wait and see.

cougartino
05-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Would just like to address all the Cowboy haters and say the Boys are following the formula of the 49ers.

In 07 they took Joe Staley in 1st rd and then 2010 they used both of their first round picks on OT Anthony Davis and OG Mike Iupati and built the rest of the line through FA and later draft picks and now they're widely regarded as having the best OL in the league. I think it's a good formula to follow, if you get a decent RB (Gore) and a VERY average QB, which both Kaepernick and Smith are, then you can win games. Since they used those first round picks they've drafted three defensive players and have had success in the middle rounds defensively and through FA. I know people think the Cowboys are done but it's a slow rebuild.

BTW, Tyron Smith (Pro Bowler, and one of the best LT in the league), Travis Frederick and Zack Martin are all 23. The o-line is probably solidified for the next decade.

Next year (2015-2016) Dallas will have a good amount of cash for free agency and I think that could be their best/last shot at making any kind of a run into the playoffs.

It's not the Cowboys we hate. With that said I did Jerry credit for following the advice of his advisors in this year's draft. Since he's not stepping down as GM, if he would just hire a bonnafide had coach and give said coach the authority/atomony he needs, then we're cooking.

caleb_mccaig
05-13-2014, 04:10 PM
It's not the Cowboys we hate. With that said I did Jerry credit for following the advice of his advisors in this year's draft. Since he's not stepping down as GM, if he would just hire a bonnafide had coach and give said coach the authority/atomony he needs, then we're cooking.

I wish he would step down also, but then I just think about it and if I owned a sports team, I personally think I know enough to build a winning franchise and I wouldn't give up the power either. But that's just me.

bobcat1
05-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Just stating the obvious. At one time Dallas owned the NFC east, and now they can't even make the playoffs.

8-8 at best

cougartino
05-13-2014, 04:24 PM
I wish he would step down also, but then I just think about it and if I owned a sports team, I personally think I know enough to build a winning franchise and I wouldn't give up the power either. But that's just me.

My ego would be stroked because all the checks would need my signature and the biggest pile of money would always be mine. :)

bobcat1
05-13-2014, 04:25 PM

You know more about football than he does I bet. I also bet you would know you didn't know enough and would hire professionals to take over and count your money afterwards.

Macarthur
05-13-2014, 04:46 PM

Goodness, that was 20 years ago.

This division is infinitely mediocre, just like the Cowboys. IT would not take a herculean effort to win this division.

caleb_mccaig
05-13-2014, 10:36 PM

This division is infinitely mediocre, just like the Cowboys. IT would not take a herculean effort to win this division.

Two Super Bowl Championships in the division in the last seven years, tied for the most in that span with the AFC North. I don't think that screams mediocrity.

Macarthur
05-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Two Super Bowl Championships in the division in the last seven years, tied for the most in that span with the AFC North. I don't think that screams mediocrity.

7 years is a long time in the nfl these days. The giants were awful last year. This division is very mediocre.

regaleagle
05-14-2014, 12:16 AM
I agree....the NFC East has lost its competitive edge the past few years against the other divisions. Which team in the NFC East would be considered as a dominant threat to even get to a title game??? The answer is none.

Eagle 1
05-14-2014, 11:55 AM

I'll even go one step further.
At one time the Cowboys were a dominant force in the NFC.....period.
Jones has built a remarkable stadium, but at the same time killed America's team.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/p350x350/1497760_703963669645725_8729275571738335089_n.jpg