PDA

View Full Version : CWS The Road to Omaha: College baseball

hollywood
05-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Lets get it started. It's one of my favorite sporting events of the year! The College World Series. Just over a month away. The conference tournaments are around the corner. Who are your favorites to advance to the CWS? I'm liking the usual favorites to make it again... Virginia, Oregon State, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, Texas, LSU, Vanderbilt, Florida, Rice etc.

But I'd like to see a Texas Tech, Sam Houston State, or Pepperdine type team get in this year and make some noise.

maestro
05-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Sadly I don't follow college baseball pre playoffs but
I will post that once this time of year rolls around, ESPN does a fantastic job with college playoff baseball and I watch it.

Crow22
05-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Sadly I don't follow college baseball pre playoffs but
I will post that once this time of year rolls around, ESPN does a fantastic job with college playoff baseball and I watch it.

Keep an eye on Louisiana Lafayette.

caleb_mccaig
05-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Lets get it started. It's one of my favorite sporting events of the year! The College World Series. Just over a month away. The conference tournaments are around the corner. Who are your favorites to advance to the CWS? I'm liking the usual favorites to make it again... Virginia, Oregon State, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, Texas, LSU, Vanderbilt, Florida, Rice etc.

But I'd like to see a Texas Tech, Sam Houston State, or Pepperdine type team get in this year and make some noise.

As much as I'd like to see LSU make it I wouldn't put money it. I've watched probable 25 of their games this year and before the A&M series this past weekend they had won 7 or 8 straight series, but their bats have been abysmal almost all season. They have one of the best pitchers in the country in Aaron Nola but when the Road to Omaha begins every team has a shot, takes me back a couple of years ago when Stoney Brooke knocked them out.

hollywood
05-08-2014, 01:18 PM
As much as I'd like to see LSU make it I wouldn't put money it. I've watched probable 25 of their games this year and before the A&M series this past weekend they had won 7 or 8 straight series, but their bats have been abysmal almost all season. They have one of the best pitchers in the country in Aaron Nola but when the Road to Omaha begins every team has a shot, takes me back a couple of years ago when Stoney Brooke knocked them out.

Nola is the real deal. I watched one of the series games vs the Ags. I saw where ECU's ace is out for the season with a season ending injury. Historically, they are a solid program.
http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014/05/07/east-carolina-ace-jeff-hoffman-to-have-season-ending-surgery/#more-60495

refereedoc
05-09-2014, 10:18 AM

Keep an eye out for Houston, have a team era 1.94. Only team in NCAA D1 below 2.00. Went on a visit a month ago and watched them play Louisville, both play very exciting brand of baseball. Louisville is the fastest team I have seen in a while. Pitching and speed and very important factors with BBCOR bats. By the way, Texas A&M Corpus Christi is leading the Southland with 2 weeks left, they are flying under the radar.

Roughneck93
05-26-2014, 12:00 PM
The field of 64 has been announced.

Houston Regional should draw some interest....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BokvrgkIYAAEtHC.png

Roughneck93
05-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Bracket (http://i.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/ncaa7/release/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/baseball_d1_2013.pdf)

msu97
05-26-2014, 12:47 PM
The field of 64 has been announced.

Houston Regional should draw some interest....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BokvrgkIYAAEtHC.png

Holy Cow that is a great regional for Rice to be hosting... should be a sell out every game... that is awesome...

LSU regional is not even close

maestro
05-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Look at TCU

Upgraded to the Big 12 with big dreams and....

Another NCAA regular is Dallas Baptist. They have routinely played solid baseball, quietly, in the state.

SHSU has also pieced together consistent winning years.

WOS87
05-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Yeah... Rice, UT, A&M... old SW Conference reunion here in Houston with a potential Rice vs UH match in the Superregionals if they both make it through. Rice has a tough road. They'll potentially go up against #1 Oregon State if they make it to the CWS first game. Go Owls though! Rice Alum 1991.

caleb_mccaig
05-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Holy Cow that is a great regional for Rice to be hosting... should be a sell out every game... that is awesome...

LSU regional is not even close

Really glad to see UL-L and LSU won't meet up unless it's in Omaha.

Also, can someone explain to me why the #1 seed was Oregon State when UL-L was the consensus #1 team in the country this week?

WOS87
05-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Really glad to see UL-L and LSU won't meet up unless it's in Omaha.

Also, can someone explain to me why the #1 seed was Oregon State when UL-L was the consensus #1 team in the country this week?

It's a completely subjective decision made by a committee using multiple factors. I'm pretty sure the fact that Oregon State made the CWS last year (4 times since 2005) and were back to back national champs in '06 and '07 and UL-L only making the CWS once ever in 2000 plays a large part of it. Oregon State has shown they can win in the national spotlight under pressure recently and consistently whereas UL-L has not. Having observed the process over the past few decades it seems very similar to the Preseason AP Poll. The usual suspects tend to get the votes and the higher seeds whereas the not so usual suspects, even those having an awesome season such as UL-L this year do not. I'm not saying I think it's fair but it is what it is. If it's any consolation the #1 seed has lost in the CWS more than it has won in the past decade. Just be happy they have less of a target on their backs.

hollywood
05-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Play bawwwlll!

Be_Advised
05-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Big surprise, Houston regional sold out within hours.

Roughneck93
05-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Longhorn Network @LonghornNetwork
Per Texas, pitcher Dillon Peters is missing the remainder of the postseason with an elbow injury.
37 minutes ago

Roughneck93
05-31-2014, 09:30 PM
Top seeds Florida and Florida State go 0 and 2 and get swept out of their own regional....love it.

Roughneck93
06-01-2014, 06:56 PM
A&M eliminates #1 seed Rice.

Texas vs Texas A&M coming up....

Weebe
06-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Amazing that A&M has been able to overcome their coaches giving away so many runs.

Roughneck93
06-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Nice game for Stubblefield...first career complete game as well.

caleb_mccaig
06-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Nice game for Stubblefield...first career complete game as well.

A&M I'm sure is hoping Houston can close out LSU tonight. LSU hasn't forgotten their series towards the end the year, there's some revenge warranted.

Tejastrue
06-02-2014, 09:30 AM
And a classless gesture on his part with the "horns down" sign toward the Longhorn bench as part of his celebration...

Saggy Aggie
06-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Good grief. Who cares? It's a rivalry.... It's good to play again.

Don't get your panties in a wad

Tejastrue
06-02-2014, 10:59 AM
My thoughts were that he tainted what was a great pitching performance but I wouldn't have expected anything less from you Saggy...your last remark was just as classless. Typical.

Saggy Aggie
06-02-2014, 11:10 AM
My thoughts were that he tainted what was a great pitching performance but I wouldn't have expected anything less from you Saggy...your last remark was just as classless. Typical.

LOL where's Gary with crying baby pictures when you need him?

Tejastrue
06-02-2014, 11:13 AM
karma is a bitch...

caleb_mccaig
06-02-2014, 11:46 AM
It's all fun and games until it's your team that's getting shown up. It's the equivalent of someone doing the gator chomp against Florida or when UT linebacker Steve Edmond called Baylor trash.

Things like that add to the rivalry, especially the UT and A&M one right now knowing they won't know when they'll play again.

Tejastrue
06-02-2014, 12:06 PM
UT and A&M play again tonight at 6:00. It doesn't matter to me what school you represent, classless is still classless.

hollywood
06-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Tonight's game between UT and A&M will be heated to say the least! Do or die for both.

msu97
06-02-2014, 01:09 PM
This is exactly what makes this rivalry great... and you prolly see it better when it is something other than football...
were you mad when Greg Swindell used to shoot his guns at the Aggies when he struck them out?

let the kids be kids and enjoy the moment...
Baseball in the state of Texas is very good at the moment and lets all enjoy this

Rabid Cougar
06-02-2014, 02:45 PM
What makes a "hand sign" sacred? Maybe he was anti-Satanic.

Not like every t-shirt fan at DKR didn't do the the thumbs down for the last half century or longer.

Rabid Cougar
06-02-2014, 02:48 PM
It's all fun and games until it's your team that's getting shown up. It's the equivalent of someone doing the gator chomp against Florida or when UT linebacker Steve Edmond called Baylor trash.

Things like that add to the rivalry, especially the UT and A&M one right now knowing they won't know when they'll play again.

I would say that ATM has more of grudge to bear. Being knocked out of Super Regionals and Regionals is a bit more than a seried during the season. First things first though.

coach
06-02-2014, 03:05 PM

Yes, years from now all espn will be talking about is the tainted pitching performance bc he did the horns don sign.

Tejastrue
06-02-2014, 03:15 PM
IMO it is wrong to diss a team..period. Just because I don't care for it is not going to change a dang thing nor will the ethical gods of college sports descend from the heavens to chastise those disrespectful kids. In the grand scheme of things..it makes no difference what I think.

Tejastrue
06-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Yes, years from now all espn will be talking about is the tainted pitching performance bc he did the horns don sign.

This has me thinking "bag of hammers"

NastySlot
06-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Ok so Horns down equals classless but running out of the dugout and talking $#!+ to the Rice pitcher (Teykl) on Saturday night probably isn't----you talk a lot $#!+ during games and it comes back on you sometimes.......read some where "Karma is a Bitch"

It s baseball this stuff happens.....

Tejastrue
06-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Some are blinded by your maroon and white glasses. I said....it doesn't matter which player/team is disrespecting the other, it is still disrespect. It happens in all sports. I simply do not condone it. Longhorns, Aggies, Owls..make no difference. Geez..what was that remark Saggy made?

Game is about to start. Best of luck to both teams. Go Horns!

Roughneck93
06-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Well that's not a good start for Texas....

Tejastrue
06-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Could have been a lot worse I guess...

Tejastrue
06-02-2014, 07:46 PM
What a terrible 'sun' field for the players. Both teams having trouble on the left side.

NastySlot
06-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Some are blinded by your maroon and white glasses. I said....it doesn't matter which player/team is disrespecting the other, it is still disrespect. It happens in all sports. I simply do not condone it. Longhorns, Aggies, Owls..make no difference. Geez..what was that remark Saggy made?

Game is about to start. Best of luck to both teams. Go Horns!

well you did make the comment wear orange glasses...or it would never been made....................and oh yeah Good Luck to both. Great to see the State of Texas College Baseball doing well this year after a horrible 2013 post season............ State of Florida is feeling it this year.

Congrats to the Red Raiders..............hosting a Super now.

Roughneck93
06-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Houston leads LSU 3-2, bottom 3rd.

Roughneck93
06-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Houston leads LSU 3-2, bottom 3rd.

Coogs now leading 8-2....

Roughneck93
06-02-2014, 08:53 PM
End 3rd

Houston 9 LSU 2

Roughneck93
06-02-2014, 09:03 PM
:clap:

hollywood
06-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Hook 'em!

caleb_mccaig
06-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Looking favorable to UT right now with LSU down 9-2.

hollywood
06-02-2014, 09:16 PM
The University of Texas plays winner of UH/LSU.

Tejastrue
06-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Congrats to the Longhorns! Big 12 represented well.

Roughneck93
06-02-2014, 09:39 PM
End 6th

Houston 9 LSU 2

Roughneck93
06-02-2014, 10:33 PM
End 8th

Houston 12 LSU 2

Roughneck93
06-02-2014, 10:44 PM
FINAL

Houston 12 LSU 2

hollywood
06-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Wow! Can you say Cougar thump a Tiger?!

Tejastrue
06-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Houston has to be the favorite against the Longhorns.

Roughneck93
06-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Mark Payton and Chad Hollingsworth named Co-Most Outstanding Player of the Houston Regional.

Roughneck93
06-03-2014, 07:05 AM
Texas Baseball
@Texas_Baseball
Texas will host Houston for the Super Regionals. Games are Friday at 4, Saturday at 2, Sunday at 2. #HookEm

hollywood
06-03-2014, 07:11 AM
Who ya got advancing to the CWS in Omaha? Pick em.

Super Regional Round -- June 6-9 (best-of-three at campus sites)
UC Irvine vs. Oklahoma State

Texas vs. Houston (Location TBD)

Kennesaw State vs. Louisville

Stanford vs. Vanderbilt

College of Charleston vs. Texas Tech

Pepperdine vs. TCU

Ole Miss vs. Louisiana-Lafayette

Maryland vs. Virginia

Roughneck93
06-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Big 12 will be hosting four of the eight Super Regionals....

Roughneck93
06-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Texas Baseball
@Texas_Baseball
Texas will host Houston for the Super Regionals. Games are Friday at 4, Saturday at 2, Sunday at 2. #HookEm

These times are Eastern.

Correct times are Friday @ 3 pm, Sat and Sun @ 1 pm.

NastySlot
06-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Who ya got advancing to the CWS in Omaha? Pick em.

Super Regional Round -- June 6-9 (best-of-three at campus sites)
UC Irvine vs. Oklahoma State

Texas vs. Houston (Location TBD)

Kennesaw State vs. Louisville

Stanford vs. Vanderbilt

College of Charleston vs. Texas Tech

Pepperdine vs. TCU

Ole Miss vs. Louisiana-Lafayette

Maryland vs. Virginia

I'll give it a shot:
Irvine
Texas
Louisville
Vandy
Tech
Pepperdine
Ole Miss
Virginia

Rabid Cougar
06-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Mark Payton and Chad Hollingsworth named Co-Most Outstanding Player of the Houston Regional.

Hollingsworth is a Robinson Rocket

hollywood
06-03-2014, 10:13 AM
I'll give it a shot:
Irvine
Texas
Louisville
Vandy
Tech
Pepperdine
Ole Miss
Virginia

I'll give it a shot as well. I'll pick all (4) Big 12 teams btw. Would be cool to see them represent half of the CWS. Who says the SEC is better?! Big 12 is better.

Okie State
Texas
Louisville
Vandy
Tech
TCU
Ole Miss
Virginia

maestro
06-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Congrats to the University of Houston!!!!
And

Texas Tech, it is there for the taking( trip to Omaha)

Be_Advised
06-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech super regional sold out in one hour.

hollywood
06-03-2014, 04:30 PM
May be the best CWS ever. ;)

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11025073/top-teams-struggled-mightily-ncaa-baseball-regionals

hollywood
06-03-2014, 04:36 PM
I love this and agree 100%! Taken from the article above.

The Power of the Big 12

Pundits and fanatics everywhere are wondering how the Big 12 went a combined 13-4 and got four of its five teams into the super regionals. The answer came to me late last year.

Near the end of the 2013 season, I had the chance to talk to Oklahoma State head coach Josh Holliday about the Big 12 and how it compares to the rest of the major conferences.

"Anybody who thinks this conference doesn't measure up with the SEC or the Pac-12 or the ACC is a complete joke," Holliday said. "I know firsthand. I've coached in all three conferences and won championships in all three conferences. You can't tell me the SEC is two times better than the Big 12 and they deserve 10 or 12 teams in the NCAA tournament. I know firsthand that's not true."

Turns out, he was right. The Big 12 turned into the Midlands Monsters this weekend, as four teams won their regionals. You probably could've seen TCU and Oklahoma State advancing, since they were No. 1 seeds playing in their own friendly confines. But seeing Texas Tech and Texas win regionals at Miami and at Rice, respectively, made a big statement for this conference.

hollywood
06-08-2014, 10:01 AM
My pick results so far:

Okie State - Eliminated by UC Irvine in 2 gms
Texas - Advanced to CWS
Louisville - Advanced to CWS
Vandy - Won gm 1
Tech - Won gm 1
TCU - Won gm 1
Ole Miss - Lost gm 1
Virginia - Lost gm 1

regaleagle
06-08-2014, 10:12 AM
So far Hollywood, that looks like about 5 of 8 going in the right direction....so far. We'll see if your picks can make it past 50% today, lol. It is possible you could still get 7 of 8 right.....or 6 of 8 wrong. But methinks somewhere around 50% is a reasonable expectation.

regaleagle
06-08-2014, 10:20 AM
I like TCU and ULL to get in, btw. Not so sure about Tech, but that would be a bonus.

NastySlot
06-08-2014, 06:16 PM
My pick results so far:

Okie State - Eliminated by UC Irvine in 2 gms
Texas - Advanced to CWS
Louisville - Advanced to CWS
Vandy - Won gm 1
Tech - Won gm 1
TCU - Won gm 1
Ole Miss - Lost gm 1
Virginia - Lost gm 1

Irvine- in
Texas-in
Louisville-in
Vandy-in
Tech-in
Pepperdine down 1
Ole Miss down 1-------might have really goofed on this pick ULaLa can hit
Virginia down 1

thinking the winner of CWS might be winner of Texas/Irvine .......two teams made to play ball in that ball park (IMO)

NastySlot
06-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Irvine- in
Texas-in
Louisville-in
Vandy-in
Tech-in
Pepperdine down 1
Ole Miss down 1-------might have really goofed on this pick ULaLa can hit
Virginia down 1

thinking the winner of CWS might be winner of Texas/Irvine .......two teams made to play ball in that ball park (IMO)

updated- Pepperdine even and Virginia even.

regaleagle
06-09-2014, 01:22 AM
And now Ole Miss is even with ULL. TCU didn't look that impressive today, but they are still alive. Glad to see Tech made it in.

hollywood
06-09-2014, 12:58 PM
And now Ole Miss is even with ULL. TCU didn't look that impressive today, but they are still alive. Glad to see Tech made it in.

Well, I at least picked 50% so far with Texas, Louisville, Vandy and Tech all in. ;)

Let's see how the other 3 games go!

Roughneck93
06-09-2014, 07:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpuiBitCUAALvyK.jpg

:2thumbsup

Roughneck93
06-09-2014, 10:11 PM
The field is set....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpvMTbECMAACl6h.jpg

hollywood
06-09-2014, 11:11 PM
The field is set....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpvMTbECMAACl6h.jpg

:2thumbsup:

NastySlot
06-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Irvine in
Texas in
Louisville in
Vandy in
Tech in
Pepperdine missed
Ole Miss in
Virginia in

dang missed it by one

hollywood
06-09-2014, 11:16 PM
So far Hollywood, that looks like about 5 of 8 going in the right direction....so far. We'll see if your picks can make it past 50% today, lol. It is possible you could still get 7 of 8 right.....or 6 of 8 wrong. But methinks somewhere around 50% is a reasonable expectation.

Regal, guess a blind squirl finds an acorn every now and then. :D

I'm excited 3 teams from the Big 12 are representing. It's a bonus they're all 3 Texas teams. And the 1 Texas team that's in the daunting SEC conference didn't even make it out of regionals. Lol

hollywood
06-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Irvine in
Texas in
Louisville in
Vandy in
Tech in
Pepperdine missed
Ole Miss in
Virginia in

dang missed it by one

Okie State eliminated
Texas in
Louisville in
Vandy in
Tech in
TCU in
Ole Miss in
Virginia in

Dang missed it by one! :D

NastySlot
06-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Regal, guess a blind squirl finds an acorn every now and then. :D

I'm excited 3 teams from the Big 12 are representing. It's a bonus they're all 3 Texas teams. And the 1 Texas team that's in the daunting SEC conference didn't even make it out of regionals. Lol

that one Texas team was one of the last in (and really should of been left at home) and went to the final day of it's regional.
I heard every once in a while the blind Squirrels do find nuts? jk: those three big 12 teams are solid and deserving. Tadlock has done a great job at Tech in a short time and I am happy for him.

NastySlot
06-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Okie State eliminated
Texas in
Louisville in
Vandy in
Tech in
TCU in
Ole Miss in
Virginia in

Dang missed it by one! :D

I was thinking I missed it with ULaLa...the way they played the first night.

maestro
06-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Texas has the first game Saturday afternoon.

Tech drew TCU on Sunday.

Exciting time for college baseball fans this week.

hollywood
06-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Bracket is set!

http://www.cwsomaha.com/

http://www.ncaa.com/championships/baseball/d1/championship-home

refereedoc
06-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Great games this weekend. Very comparable to March madness IMO. I can't watch anything else when one of those games are on. I think I will call it June Swoon. :)