PDA

View Full Version : 3A Baseball: Who's your Top Ten?

regaleagle
04-21-2014, 01:16 PM
It's always difficult in baseball to get a clear picture of which teams are really the "top" teams in the state. You really can't just look at the records, although records at this point in the season do tell a story. There may be a few teams whose records are slightly blemished that are actually very, very good teams. Here's my take on how I would list the Top Ten this week with just limited information to go on.

1. West Columbia(22-1-1)
2. Robinson(24-3)
3. College Station(24-4-1)
4. Bridge City(20-2-2)
5. La Vernia(20-4)
6. Argyle(21-7-1)
7. Abilene Wylie(21-3-1)
8. Boerne(19-3-1)
9. Liberty Hill(21-5)
10. Iowa Park(22-3)

These are some top teams going into the playoffs that all have a very good chance at a state title. There are also another 10 teams not listed here that can also contend. This is purely a subjective listing based on record, strength of schedule, and quality wins.

XMan
04-21-2014, 01:42 PM
There is College Station and then there is everyone else. Robinson, Bridge City would be top contenders.

greendawg84
04-21-2014, 01:42 PM
1. Collage Station
2. Argyle
3. Boerne
4. West
5. Robinson
6. Caldwell
7. Bridge City
8. Columbia
9. Kennedale
10. Iowa Park

Saggy Aggie
04-21-2014, 02:52 PM
My alma mater doin work in standaround

Rabid Cougar
04-21-2014, 04:27 PM
1. Collage Station
2. Argyle
3. Boerne
4. West
5. Robinson
6. Caldwell
7. Bridge City
8. Columbia
9. Kennedale
10. Iowa Park

1. College Station
2. Robinson

Caldwell and West are very questionable.
I would like to see Argyle play a season or two in District 17 to see if they could get through a District season undefeated.

Robinson run ruled West Friday night. Was not at all impressed with Caldwell when we faced/beat them. Robinson is very good. Fast and hits from top to bottom. Has quality pitching depth. Robinson's OF Zac Law (Dallas Baptist commit) is the best high school player I have seen this year. Plus Speed and Arm. Puts extreme pressure on defense when he is on base. ( Qualify my statement: I never speak positively for anything Robinson) . It will be the CS Cougars vs CS Cougars in the First Round again this year.

Roughneck93
04-21-2014, 05:43 PM
I would put College Station #1.

Robinson, Bridge City, Columbia, etc.....damn it's going to be tough getting out of Region III.

Columbia vs Sweeny tomorrow night. Necks trying to secure outright district championship.

regaleagle
04-22-2014, 12:08 AM
There is College Station and then there is everyone else. Robinson, Bridge City would be top contenders.

There is also a such thing as the playoffs and pitching matchups in a series that can make a difference, esp. in Region 3 this year. Not everyone can make it out of that region.

XMan
04-22-2014, 06:07 AM
CS is basically a 4a team playing a 3a district/playoff schedule. Their only losses are to Montgomery, Nederland, and 5a Houston Westside. They have beaten 4A Mag West, Montgomery, Brenham, and PNG, all playoff teams. They have also beaten 5a Kempner (18-2) and Bryan High. You want to talk about pitching depth and matchups, CS played in tournaments where they played 5 games in 3 days against 4 and 5 A comp. and won! Its going to be very difficult for a 3a team to beat them. Maybe you can catch them in a one gamer but remember the guy that is committed to Florida is 88-90 and they have a lefty that is committed to A&M. Also, the Johnson kid in the outfield is maybe the best lefthanded stick in the nation this year. Oh, and they are all jrs so look out next year in 5A.

ahs_indian_fan
04-22-2014, 09:38 AM
1. Collage Station
2. Argyle
3. Boerne
4. West
5. Robinson
6. Caldwell
7. Bridge City
8. Columbia
9. Kennedale
10. Iowa Park

Alvarado is completely off the radar but they have been playing some good ball lately ... also, I could be wrong, but I don't think Kennedale is even going to win its district. Mineral Wells swept Kennedale and both have two losses.

Rabid Cougar
04-22-2014, 09:50 AM
CS is basically a 4a team playing a 3a district/playoff schedule. Their only losses are to Montgomery, Nederland, and 5a Houston Westside. They have beaten 4A Mag West, Montgomery, Brenham, and PNG, all playoff teams. They have also beaten 5a Kempner (18-2) and Bryan High. You want to talk about pitching depth and matchups, CS played in tournaments where they played 5 games in 3 days against 4 and 5 A comp. and won! Its going to be very difficult for a 3a team to beat them. Maybe you can catch them in a one gamer but remember the guy that is committed to Florida is 88-90 and they have a lefty that is committed to A&M. Also, the Johnson kid in the outfield is maybe the best lefthanded stick in the nation this year. Oh, and they are all jrs so look out next year in 5A.

The Johnson kid won't make it to college.

caleb_mccaig
04-22-2014, 10:50 AM
1. College Station
2. Robinson

I would like to see Argyle play a season or two in District 17 to see if they could get through a District season undefeated.

Robinson run ruled West Friday night. Was not at all impressed with Caldwell when we faced/beat them. Robinson is very good. Fast and hits from top to bottom. Has quality pitching depth. Robinson's OF Zac Law (Dallas Baptist commit) is the best high school player I have seen this year. Plus Speed and Arm. Puts extreme pressure on defense when he is on base. ( Qualify my statement: I never speak positively for anything Robinson) . It will be the CS Cougars vs CS Cougars in the First Round again this year.

I remember watching Zac Law play when he was like 9 or 10 in select with Tito. Was a total stud out there and you could definitely tell he was a grade ahead of everyone when they were that young.

Aguilafanatico
04-22-2014, 10:57 AM
1. College Station
2. Robinson

So Argyle's win over Robinson WAS a fluke? Robinson had nothing vs Mushinski (Tech commit) and he is arguably the #2 pitcher for the Eagles. If we had played the next day, Robinson would have gotten to face Gooch (TCU commit). Both will be MLB draft picks.

Saggy Aggie
04-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Lol gooch

Rabid Cougar
04-22-2014, 11:31 AM
So Argyle's win over Robinson WAS a fluke? Robinson had nothing vs Mushinski (Tech commit) and he is arguably the #2 pitcher for the Eagles. If we had played the next day, Robinson would have gotten to face Gooch (TCU commit). Both will be MLB draft picks.

Thats nice. Argyle beat Robinson by 1 run (2-1). Argyle beat West by 1 run (4-3). I am not saying either one was a fluke. If you play Robinson twice, West twice, Lorena twice and Chine Spring twice, the odds are against you that you will win all eight games regardless of your commits. That is what I am saying.

Aguilafanatico
04-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Thats nice. Argyle beat Robinson by 1 run (2-1). Argyle beat West by 1 run (4-3). I am not saying either one was a fluke. If you play Robinson twice, West twice, Lorena twice and Chine Spring twice, the odds are against you that you will win all eight games regardless of your commits. That is what I am saying.

1 run or 50, Argyle has beaten both of the district 17 "powers" already......... If the top two teams in district 17 are Robinson and West, and Argyle has beaten both of them, then wouldn't we deduct that Argyle wins district 17 just like they did district 10. Argyle should be ranked over any team in 17. Your post ranked Robinson #2 after College Station.

Aguilafanatico
04-22-2014, 11:51 AM
1 run or 50, Argyle has beaten both of the district 17 "powers" already......... If the top two teams in district 17 are Robinson and West, and Argyle has beaten both of them, then wouldn't we deduct that Argyle wins district 17 just like they did district 10. Argyle should be ranked over any team in 17. Your post ranked Robinson #2 after College Station.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Playoffs start soon.

Rabid Cougar
04-22-2014, 01:33 PM

Because of two wins? No.

By your logic China Spring should be tied with College Station for the District 18 Championship and ranked above No.9 Caldwell. China Spring beat Caldwell 11-3 and Rockdale 11-5. (College Station only beat Rockdale 2-1 last week)

All this ranking stuff is non-sense anyway. China Spring has finished no better that 3rd in District in the past three years. What about the playoffs? Two Regional Finalist (Lost to West and Robinson) and one Regional Quarter Finalist ( Lost to Carthage).

Can District 10 Aubry or Lone Star say that?

Aguilafanatico
04-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Because of two wins? No.

By your logic China Spring should be tied with College Station for the District 18 Championship and ranked above No.9 Caldwell. China Spring beat Caldwell 11-3 and Rockdale 11-5. (College Station only beat Rockdale 2-1 last week)

All this ranking stuff is non-sense anyway. China Spring has finished no better that 3rd in District in the past three years. What about the playoffs? Two Regional Finalist (Lost to West and Robinson) and one Regional Quarter Finalist ( Lost to Carthage).

Can District 10 Aubry or Lone Star say that?

I don't really care about Aubrey or Lone Star to be honest. My argument is solely that Argyle should be ranked over both Robinson and West based on the fact that Argyle has beaten both this year. If you say that all this ranking stuff is non-sense then you must prefer that everything be settled on the field. For the top teams in district 17 it has and Argyle prevailed both times.

FB-fanatic
04-22-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but College Station having 917 students, and all being juniors and seniors really is a tough stacked deck in all sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullaholic
04-22-2014, 04:26 PM
As I said in an earlier thread---Sanger may not be Top 10, but I think they may be Top 25---we'll see...

regaleagle
04-22-2014, 11:10 PM
As far as I'm concerned, every single team in the playoffs is a Top Twenty-Five team, lol. At least, that's the way the coaches and players should look at it. And I agree with you Bull that Sanger does have a very competitive team this year. Teams like Sanger could make some noise in the playoffs, maybe even upset a team highly ranked like Argyle(even though we defeated them earlier).

regaleagle
04-22-2014, 11:23 PM

Yeah, I perused their schedule. One of the main reasons Argyle is ranked so high with 7 losses is because they won 6 games and lost 7 games to 4A & 5A teams in tournaments(including a shortened game that ended in a tie) early in the year, and really haven't lost a single game to any other team on the schedule, including West & Robinson. Those are called "quality wins" against ranked opponents. Argyle's got 3 very good pitchers, and only above average team hitting. To go deep in the playoffs, they'll have to play stellar defense behind outstanding pitching, and hit like they've been doing most of the year.....and that should beat most power-hitting clubs.