PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport Facts - Awful

Crow22
04-17-2014, 08:28 AM
If you happen to read the Brazosport Facts (count yourself lucky if you don't), you will notice the huge headline and subsequent story of the Sweeny AD/HDFB hire. The entire article is wrong. The quotes are wrong. Everything about it is wrong. Good job Luna!

Brett Miksch is the new AD.
Joey Olguin is the new Head Football Coach.

Hopefully, someone will make a gigantic retraction immediately and write a story that is accurate.

Also, under the headline about the Sweeny AD/HDFB position, you'll notice a classy photo of the West Columbia baseball team. Hmmm...not sure I would be proud of that one. But, in typical B'port Facts fashion, they slapped it on there anyway.

End of rant.

maestro
04-17-2014, 08:52 AM
My only question is:

In separating the two jobs, ath dir and head football, down the road , will this hurt in the years to come on the next hire?

Or are more head football coaches willing to give up the ath dir title?

Most guys' egos want both titles.

And to respond to a different thread, Sweeny is a good job in ANY of their sports.

Snotbubbles
04-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Not sure, many football HC's love the AD portion of the job anyways. Tennis, fútbol programs to deal with and all the paperwork and parent BS. Little less money, worth it. Not bad gig if you can land it. Not all HC's make good AD's and vise versa.

pancho villa
04-17-2014, 09:35 AM
I am so confused

baseballcoach13
04-17-2014, 10:05 AM
I am so confused

Anyone that reads The "Facts" and believes more than half of any article is almost as foolish the Facts employees. Everyone knows that they misquote you, add or take away from what you say....

And as far as the WC picture I don't think that when the photographer left that and anyone wearing Maroon thought that pic would be published.

Crow22
04-17-2014, 10:05 AM
I am so confused

Pancho...the article is all jacked up. Nothing is correct.

Then, below it, is a LESS THAN FLATTERING picture of the West Columbia baseball seniors.

Its horrible reporting and the Facts should fire whoever wrote the article (Luna) and whoever put that picture in the paper.

Saggy Aggie
04-17-2014, 11:26 AM
People read the facts? Lol

bobcat1
04-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Any link to the story?

Tejastrue
04-17-2014, 12:08 PM
It's subscription based.

Weebe
04-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Why would anyone read anything out if Brazosport?

Have you people never been to Freeport/Clute?

Saggy Aggie
04-17-2014, 12:46 PM
^^^ sounds familiar

Roughneck93
04-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Looks like it has been removed from the online edition. Figured it would be.

I had saved it to read it after work....

Miksch takes over at Sweeny

Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:00 am
By JOEL LUNA joel.luna@thefacts.com

SWEENY — Sweeny ISD didn’t have to look too far for its next athletics director/head football coach as Brett Miksch was approved for the positions Tuesday during a school board meeting.

Brett Miksch, the son of Superintendent Randy Miksch becomes the 19th head football coach at the school since it started playing 11-man football back in 1947.

“I am humbled and I am excited,” Brett Miksch said. “We have a bunch of good kids and they deserve the best and I am going to try to do my best to make sure and give them that.”

The 37-year-old takes over for Paul Kilby who abruptly resigned March 31 after just one season.

Brett Miksch was the head boys basketball coach at Sweeny from 2011-12 (39-23) and since has been a special education teacher at the high school.

“The transition will be an easy one because of the relationship that I have with most of these kids,” Miksch said. “I also have a relationship with most of the coaches that are here since I worked with them.”

Sweeny will be starting a new era after UIL realignment was announced in February. The Bulldogs will be in Class 4A Division II Region III District 12 along with Bellville, Columbus, Brookshire Royal and Wharton.

“I am really excited about the way this new district sets up for us,” Miksch said. “It sets up nicely for us and for us to prepare to make a run.”

A former running back at Tidehaven, Miksch was working at full speed Wednesday trying to learn the nuances of his new job.

“Right now we are looking for an OC (offensive coodinator) and OL (offensive line coach),” he said. “We’d like to fill those as soon as possible, but pretty much most of the staff is already here. But, of course, there is always a change here and there.”

Miksh plans to use a 4-3 defensive alignment along with an open offense in his first season.

“Offensively we’d like to open it up a bit and play to the strengths of our athletes,” Miksch said.

One of those players returning is running back Anthany Simmons, who rushed for 1,400 yards last season.

“We are going to look for good things from him next season,” Miksch said. “A running game has always been a big part of this program and will continue to be.”

Training camp for the Bulldogs opens Aug. 4, with their first game Aug. 29 against Van Vleck.

YTBulldogs
04-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Looks like it has been removed from the online edition. Figured it would be.

I had saved it to read it after work....

Miksch takes over at Sweeny

Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:00 am
By JOEL LUNA joel.luna@thefacts.com

SWEENY — Sweeny ISD didn’t have to look too far for its next athletics director/head football coach as Brett Miksch was approved for the positions Tuesday during a school board meeting.

Brett Miksch, the son of Superintendent Randy Miksch becomes the 19th head football coach at the school since it started playing 11-man football back in 1947.

“I am humbled and I am excited,” Brett Miksch said. “We have a bunch of good kids and they deserve the best and I am going to try to do my best to make sure and give them that.”

The 37-year-old takes over for Paul Kilby who abruptly resigned March 31 after just one season.

Brett Miksch was the head boys basketball coach at Sweeny from 2011-12 (39-23) and since has been a special education teacher at the high school.

“The transition will be an easy one because of the relationship that I have with most of these kids,” Miksch said. “I also have a relationship with most of the coaches that are here since I worked with them.”

Sweeny will be starting a new era after UIL realignment was announced in February. The Bulldogs will be in Class 4A Division II Region III District 12 along with Bellville, Columbus, Brookshire Royal and Wharton.

“I am really excited about the way this new district sets up for us,” Miksch said. “It sets up nicely for us and for us to prepare to make a run.”

A former running back at Tidehaven, Miksch was working at full speed Wednesday trying to learn the nuances of his new job.

“Right now we are looking for an OC (offensive coodinator) and OL (offensive line coach),” he said. “We’d like to fill those as soon as possible, but pretty much most of the staff is already here. But, of course, there is always a change here and there.”

Miksh plans to use a 4-3 defensive alignment along with an open offense in his first season.

“Offensively we’d like to open it up a bit and play to the strengths of our athletes,” Miksch said.

One of those players returning is running back Anthany Simmons, who rushed for 1,400 yards last season.

“We are going to look for good things from him next season,” Miksch said. “A running game has always been a big part of this program and will continue to be.”

Training camp for the Bulldogs opens Aug. 4, with their first game Aug. 29 against Van Vleck.

And what's stated wrong, within this article?

baseballcoach13
04-17-2014, 02:55 PM
And what's stated wrong, within this article?

Sounds llike they were talking to Coach Olguin and thought it was Miksch...Miksch isn't 37 and was not a running back at Tidehaven. Olguin was a running back for tidehaven and not sure how old but 37 probably isn't too far off.

YTBulldogs
04-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Sounds llike they were talking to Coach Olguin and thought it was Miksch...Miksch isn't 37 and was not a running back at Tidehaven. Olguin was a running back for tidehaven and not sure how old but 37 probably isn't too far off.

O, ok. And, the HC is whom?

baseballcoach13
04-17-2014, 03:11 PM
O, ok. And, the HC is whom?

HFC/Campus Coordinator is Joe Olguin. Brett Miksch is AD and about 34 other titles that go along with that.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
04-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Brett Miksch, the son of Superintendent Randy Miksch

Woah woah woah! Nepotism much? Isn't there a law against that now?

Scoop27
04-17-2014, 03:48 PM
The baseball picture is called Wild Art- meaning it's not related to a story. Lots of newspapers use this. Some mainly to take up space

Weebe
04-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Woah woah woah! Nepotism much? Isn't there a law against that now?

He was made head basketball coach and assistant principal at the age of 26 and one year out of college.

They tried to name him HFC/AD last year but the school board nixed it at the last minute.

At roughly the age of 29, they have created an administrative job for him by dividing up the duties of HFC and AD.

He may be a child prodigy, but it doesn't look good when dad is Superintendent.

Saggy Aggie
04-17-2014, 04:30 PM
I doubt he's even anything special. Dad hiring son is not good. Sup needs to go

Roughneck93
04-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Updated online....

Miksch new AD, Olguin football coach at Sweeny

JOEL LUNA joel.luna@thefacts.com | Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:30 pm

SWEENY — Joey Olguin was confirmed as Sweeny's new head football coach and high school athletics coordinator after a vote Tuesday night by the district school board.

At the same meeting, former boys basketball coach Brett Miksch was named the athletics director/director of student services.

A story in the print and online editions of Thursday's Facts was incorrect about who will be the Bulldogs' football coach and Miksch's title.

Olguin has been with the Sweeny Bulldog program for several seasons and handled the defensive tackles last season under Paul Kilby. He takes over for Kilby, who served in both capacities, athletics director/head football and resigned unexpectedly March 31.

Olguin's first training camp is Aug. 4 and his first game is Aug. 29 against Van Vleck.

Miksch was head boys basketball coach at Sweeny from 2011-12 (39-23). He took the 2011 Bulldogs to the region quarterfinal, where they bowed out to West Oso.

Miksch, the son of Sweeny Superintendent Randy Miksch, has continued to serve in athletics since his resignation from basketball.

http://thefacts.com/sports/local_sports/article_5602ae63-67c9-56ef-ac2a-4ff90942ca24.html?_dc=67410279298.2012