PDA

View Full Version : New rule for 2014: Can't hit QB low now

YTBulldogs
04-16-2014, 04:32 PM
New Rule To Protect Passers From Low Hits

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, Which Met Via Conference Call Wednesday, Approved A New Football Rule To Better Protect Passers From Contact At Or Below The Knee

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a new football rule to better protect passers from low contact at or below the knee.
The rule goes into effect for the 2014 season.
The rule specifically covers a scenario in which a quarterback is in a passing posture with one or both feet on the ground. In that situation, no defensive player rushing unabated can hit him forcibly at or below the knee. The defensive player also may not initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit the quarterback in the knee area or below.
The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which met via conference call Wednesday, approved a new football rule to better protect passers from low contact at or below the knee.

The rule specifically covers a scenario in which a quarterback is in a passing posture with one or both feet on the ground. In that situation, no defensive player rushing unabated can hit him forcibly at or below the knee. The defensive player also may not initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit the quarterback in the knee area or below.

Exceptions for these types of hits occur when:

the passer becomes a runner, either inside or outside the tackle box;
the defender grabs or wraps the passer in an attempt to make a conventional tackle;
the defender is not rushing unabated or is blocked or fouled into the passer.
A violation of this rule applies when defenders are rushing unabated to the quarterback, and it will result in a 15-yard roughing the passer penalty.

This proposal was previously discussed during the Football Rules Committee’s February meeting, but no action was taken at that time. However, since then, the commissioners of all 10 FBS conferences have expressed support for the proposal and asked the committee to support it.

Jon Steinbrecher, commissioner of the Mid-American Conference and chair of College Football Officiating, represented the FBS commissioners during a conference call March 5, when he presented the proposal to the committee for further consideration.

After some discussion and review of several videos showing instances in which the rule would be applied, the Football Rules Committee unanimously recommended the proposal with the rationale that passers are defenseless while throwing the ball and vulnerable to injury from low hits.

Surveys of college football coaches indicate support of the new rule among head coaches.

I think UIL will go with this rule as well for high school. They are big on any rule that is safety related. Plus, keeps them from defending lawsuits if they don't.

regaleagle
04-16-2014, 07:03 PM
This is definitely a good rule to put into place. There's no reason whatsoever to put the whack on a player that handles the ball almost every offensive play with a low hit. Most of the time this occurs, the qb is in a position to be totally blindsided by the defensive player while he stands unprotected in a passing posture. Let's just say this rule will greatly reduce the "risk factor" for leg injuries while still maintaining the integrity of the game. IMO, this rule is a good rule and should be instituted into the game....esp. at the high school and college levels.

buckeyebob
04-16-2014, 09:17 PM
This is definitely a good rule to put into place. There's no reason whatsoever to put the whack on a player that handles the ball almost every offensive play with a low hit. Most of the time this occurs, the qb is in a position to be totally blindsided by the defensive player while he stands unprotected in a passing posture. Let's just say this rule will greatly reduce the "risk factor" for leg injuries while still maintaining the integrity of the game. IMO, this rule is a good rule and should be instituted into the game....esp. at the high school and college levels.

We lost our QB in 2011 halfway thru the season due to a low blow.

regaleagle
04-16-2014, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=buckeyebob;1809817]We lost our QB in 2011 halfway thru the season due to a low blow.[/QUOTE

Yep, happens all the time in Texas high school football. I remember it happening to JJ Harp in 2007 right before the playoffs. We really didn't have a viable back-up to our passing attack back then, but still managed to win a couple of playoff games. But he got hurt on an avoidable situation where we had the game in hand. Since then, Coach Rodgers just sits the key players in 3rd or 4th quarters(esp. late in the season) to avoid that scenario as much as possible. It also gives your backup much needed playing time experience. No reason to run up the score when you're winning handily already, except to give the players some playing time early in the season. But in a tightly contested game, the coaches and the qb don't have that option. And an injury like that can happen right in the first quarter of a game. So this protection rule is a good one.

caleb_mccaig
04-17-2014, 10:40 AM
But you can still cut an unknowing defender still? Great, lets make playing defense even harder now and penalize them for pushing the guy with ball while we're at it.

I'm all for protecting the quarterback, but you can't just protect one side of the ball like the NCAA and the NFL are doing. It's a double standard.

YTBulldogs
04-17-2014, 02:36 PM
But you can still cut an unknowing defender still? Great, lets make playing defense even harder now and penalize them for pushing the guy with ball while we're at it.

I'm all for protecting the quarterback, but you can't just protect one side of the ball like the NCAA and the NFL are doing. It's a double standard.

In the NCAA and high school, the defender see's a block coming now. Or, should. And, can defend himself for the cut, because all low block's, have to come from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock angle now. Gives defender time to defend. Unlike the QB, who had no idea low contact was coming most likely, while throwing the ball. And, you still have the chop block foul to help protect defenders too. I believe this new rule to protect the QB, even's the field now.

As I've said for a few years, I see all BBW being removed from the game. As it should.

buckeyebob
04-17-2014, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=buckeyebob;1809817]We lost our QB in 2011 halfway thru the season due to a low blow.[/QUOTE

Yep, happens all the time in Texas high school football. I remember it happening to JJ Harp in 2007 right before the playoffs. We really didn't have a viable back-up to our passing attack back then, but still managed to win a couple of playoff games. But he got hurt on an avoidable situation where we had the game in hand. Since then, Coach Rodgers just sits the key players in 3rd or 4th quarters(esp. late in the season) to avoid that scenario as much as possible. It also gives your backup much needed playing time experience. No reason to run up the score when you're winning handily already, except to give the players some playing time early in the season. But in a tightly contested game, the coaches and the qb don't have that option. And an injury like that can happen right in the first quarter of a game. So this protection rule is a good one.

We were very lucky...Luke Turner (Monster Man for Rice now) is driving down the field against Carthage with few left...we are down four & he breaks his right leg...Jordan Traylor (walk-on @ A&M last fall...playing Spring Ball as we speak as BU QB) comes in...drives down the field...TD...we win...the croud was on their feet.

caleb_mccaig
04-17-2014, 03:39 PM
In the NCAA and high school, the defender see's a block coming now. Or, should. And, can defend himself for the cut, because all low block's, have to come from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock angle now. Gives defender time to defend. Unlike the QB, who had no idea low contact was coming most likely, while throwing the ball. And, you still have the chop block foul to help protect defenders too. I believe this new rule to protect the QB, even's the field now.

As I've said for a few years, I see all BBW being removed from the game. As it should.

I get what you mean. I never played quarterback, so I don't know, but I can assume that from my playing experience and being at more than my fair share of games from working in the media that the refs protect the quarterback more than they do, say a linebacker who is getting cut. I played linebacker my sophomore and junior year and never did I see a call from someone coming from the outside in and and cutting. Chop block is something I think they call and usually get right.

I agree that the BBW will be out probably sooner rather than later, unfortunately. I think people complaining about injuries and their lawsuits are destroying the game and are proof of the ongoing pussification of America.

No idea if I'm allowed to say that or not.

YTBulldogs
04-17-2014, 03:55 PM
I played linebacker my sophomore and junior year and never did I see a call from someone coming from the outside in and and cutting.

Wasn't a foul when you played, unless from behind, a clip. Now, no more blindside ear hole crack backs like we were taught to do (mostly from a motion WR) and lay someone (mostly LB'ers) out either. Defender must have time to defend himself now, and blocks from 10-2 direction, and above waist. BBW only allowed when it's towards your (offensive) goal-line.