PDA

View Full Version : Speed Builders

Bullaholic
04-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Ok, you coaches---I always heard that kids are either born to run fast, or not. Are there things that work to build a player's speed noticeably?

Of course, we all know that being born in East Texas is a given...:D

44INAROW
04-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Ok, you coaches---I always heard that kids are either born to run fast, or not. Are there things that work to build a player's speed noticeably?

Bull, I hear if you're born east of IH45 - you've got a definite advantage in speed.. Just what I heard.. :wave:

Bullaholic
04-02-2014, 03:18 PM
That is a fact, 44'. If we don't start getting more activity I guess I'm going to have to put up the "Nekkid Ladies of the Downlow" pic thread again....:D

44INAROW
04-02-2014, 05:01 PM
That is a fact, 44'. If we don't start getting more activity I guess I'm going to have to put up the "Nekkid Ladies of the Downlow" pic thread again....:D

Now that might get things moving :)

BwdLion73
04-02-2014, 06:43 PM

WOO HOO...This brings a new meaning to our 2014 seasons "meet and greet"...Time to unlock the photo only thread from back in the day! :tmi:

cookiemonster
04-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Weight Room and Form Running with plyometrics infused! Speed is applying force to the ground and the best way to increase the force you can apply is with weight training! Form running and plyos will teach your body how to properly apply the strength gains you have made in the weight room to the surface you are running on!

Cruboi12
04-03-2014, 09:39 AM

Bullet Belt for speed. Makes the athlete torque up his speed and you release him and he shoots out like a bullet. Helps overturning the hips faster.

Rabid Cougar
04-03-2014, 10:12 AM

At North Texas's Pro Day yesterday, my 260 lbs Defensive Tackle son ran a 4.59 in the 40. He has never run faster than a 4.8 prior to that. You can get faster using the proper focus in training. There are mulitple programs that can do this.

caleb_mccaig
04-03-2014, 10:44 AM
At North Texas's Pro Day yesterday, my 260 lbs Defensive Tackle son ran a 4.59 in the 40. He has never run faster than a 4.8 prior to that. You can get faster using the proper focus in training. There are mulitple programs that can do this.

Definitely agree to this. Obviously, some people are probably not going to ever be very quick in their lifetimes but in my football career I always improved my 40 time by .1 every time we tested so I certainly think weight and speed training do help make someone who is fast, faster.

Cam
04-03-2014, 11:01 AM

That must be exciting for you and your son Rabid!.....What is he expecting come draft time? Also, what's the scoop on UNT mammoth lineman Cyril Lemon (ex Marble Falls kid)? Is he coming back next year? I know he has dreams of playing at the next level. Man, I remember my kid hated going up against him in high school!...What a size mismatch!!....If anybody pancaked my boy...it was Cyril!! LOL.....Nice kid too!

Cam
04-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Weight Room and Form Running with plyometrics infused! Speed is applying force to the ground and the best way to increase the force you can apply is with weight training! Form running and plyos will teach your body how to properly apply the strength gains you have made in the weight room to the surface you are running on!

so coach, how do you feel about SPEEDKILLZ after our first go-around?....Are they coming back this summer?

Rabid Cougar
04-03-2014, 01:24 PM
That must be exciting for you and your son Rabid!.....What is he expecting come draft time? Also, what's the scoop on UNT mammoth lineman Cyril Lemon (ex Marble Falls kid)? Is he coming back next year? I know he has dreams of playing at the next level. Man, I remember my kid hated going up against him in high school!...What a size mismatch!!....If anybody pancaked my boy...it was Cyril!! LOL.....Nice kid too!

What is expected? Nothing.

Cyril is not the biggest by any means. He is a big boy and very good though. He is being moved from guard to tackle next season.

monkey rolls
04-03-2014, 05:05 PM

Do you have statistical documentation to support this claim in training method to sport science? Without documentation, it is pure speculation. Also, what exercises in form running should be used? How far and to what percentage of maximum exertion should each athlete be exposed to said form exercises? what type of plyometric training should be used? Are eccentric contractions better or are concentric contractions better? what reps and volumes of eccentric and concentric contractions should be used? What is the point of diminishing returns on height and distance for each of these contractions? Do these exercises have any bearing on skill sets vs. athleticism?

so many unanswered questions.... :helpme:

cookiemonster
04-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Did I say something to you that offended you Monkey Roll?

cookiemonster
04-03-2014, 08:01 PM
I should have known that was you!!