PDA

View Full Version : Players can unionize - WOW!!!

YTBulldogs
03-26-2014, 02:28 PM
Just in, NLRB rule, Northwestern football players can unionize. Door open for players to finally get paid to play. NW president says, "he would strongly consider dropping his D1 football program".

Northwestern players get union vote
Updated: March 26, 2014, 3:30 PM ET
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com

In a potentially game-changing moment for college athletics, the Chicago district of the National Labor Relations Board ruled on Wednesday that Northwestern football players qualify as employees and can unionize.

NLRB regional director Peter Sung Ohr cited the players' time commitment to their sport and that their scholarships were tied directly to their performance as reasons for granting them union rights.

Ohr wrote in his ruling that Wildcats players "fall squarely within the [National Labor Relations] Act's broad definition of 'employee' when one considers the common law definition of 'employee.'"

Ohr ruled that Northwestern players can hold an election on whether they want to be represented by the College Athletes Players Association, which brought the case to the NLRB along with former Wildcats quarterback Kain Colter and the United Steelworkers Union.

Northwestern issued a statement shortly after the ruling saying it would appeal to the full NLRB in Washington.

"While we respect the NLRB process and the regional director's opinion, we disagree with it," the statement read. "Northwestern believes strongly that our student-athletes are not employees, but students. Unionization and collective bargaining are not the appropriate methods to address the concerns raised by student-athletes."

CAPA supporters, meanwhile, celebrated the news. Colter tweeted: "This is a HUGE win for ALL college athletes!"

YTBulldogs
03-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Can you imagine how much it would cost a non-sports student to go to college? LOL.

Snotbubbles
03-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Damn, biggest news in college ever, and no replies.

I'll say it, unions will ruin college sports. Shame. Yes, non-sports students, about 10 times what they pay now I bet. Time to work in the oil field Junior.

LH Panther Mom
03-26-2014, 06:30 PM
So do those students who attend college on a full ACADEMIC ride get the same rights? :thinking:

YTBulldogs
03-26-2014, 06:45 PM
So do those students who attend college on a full ACADEMIC ride get the same rights? :thinking:

I'm sure, if they play football.

maestro
03-27-2014, 09:22 AM

Revenue making!!!!

That's the argument

Where does that leave title 9 and non revenue sports?

Stay tuned

Academics????

When 102,000 fill an auditorium for a slide rule competition, we will see.

Bullaholic
03-27-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm gonna guess that this one will be tied up in court for years---if it ever makes it through the appeal process before being reversed. The NCAA has a long reach.

maestro
03-27-2014, 10:34 AM
It is already being appealed

maestro
03-27-2014, 10:44 AM
This from an anti-trust lawyer known to be player friendly

Discussed on espn THE HERD show

He brought up similarities between employees being fired and scholarships being taken away

How strong will the union be?? As strong as pro unions?

He said undetermined but that the players now have nothing.

Transferring is one area that would have to be negotiated on

Big hurdles on state run colleges, private colleges, independents, etc.

Title 9 has nothing to do with this.not an issue.

Tejastrue
03-27-2014, 12:33 PM
I'm gonna guess that this one will be tied up in court for years---if it ever makes it through the appeal process before being reversed. The NCAA has a long reach.

United Steelworkers are flipping the bill for the union side of thngs. I'd say they could ride this thing out for a while if they chose to do so...

YTBulldogs
03-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Right to work state have any effect here I wonder?