PDA

View Full Version : SMALL TOWN POLITICS - PLEASE READ

VWG
04-25-2002, 11:38 AM
Had a conversation with a guy the other day about a coach who's alma mater had a coaching position open. This coach didn't want to return to his alma mater not because of the program's success, pay, etc... but due to the "politics" & "pressure" in the town of playing certain kids whose parents were wealthy or influential in the community.
Now, we all know that small town Texas always has people that made it big in cattle, oil, etc.. and they usually support the local programs with $$$$. But do what extent do they have persuasion on the coaches to play their kids, grandkids, buddies or business partners sons, etc....???
It appears that in this town it is prevelant due to this small town has quite a bit of oil and gas $$$$$.
Coaches should play kids that are talented, no matter how much influence their families have in the community.
I would like to hear from everyone across the state on this issue. Is this a problem for everyone???
Does it come to the coaches through the school board? Because, if you think about it, the school boards usually have prominent community members who are elected to serve.

Old Cardinal
04-25-2002, 12:59 PM
There are always inequities that everyone should try to minimize------Some on the things I have seen........1. School faculty putting the pressure on to play THEIR kids. 2. I once saw a great QB prospect for HS dropped from the QB training program because his Dad was a United Methodist Minister and there was always the possibility of him being moved.... 3. I saw an Offensive HS Coordinator demand that HIS son be the Jr. Hi. QB-even though the child was terribly untalented. We could go on-----be quick and courtious in dealing with misjustice......

oldbuff78
04-26-2002, 02:26 PM
Politics, It's in every town!!!!