PDA

View Full Version : Carthage guys

Weebe
03-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Any word on whether Golden is still on the team at A&M?

I'm hearing conflicting info.

Lion70
03-19-2014, 07:55 AM
Any word on whether Golden is still on the team at A&M?

I'm hearing conflicting info.

Not a Carthage fan but A&M fan . He is just suspended and won't be kicked off. You don't usually kick off first time offenders unless they did something really bad.

Weebe
03-19-2014, 12:56 PM
I initially heard the same thing, but there have been whispering a this week about him possibly being off the team altogether.

Weebe
03-19-2014, 06:21 PM
FYI ...Golden has withdrawn from school .

Aggie98
03-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Tough, tough year for that kid. Praying for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aesculus gilmus
03-20-2014, 07:37 AM
I just read up on his arrest reporrt.

This substance is probably going to be legal in many, many states over time. Alreadly totally legal in Washington and Colorado.

Basically, to continue to arrest for this will be similar to arresting for underage use of alcohol.

Are under-21 college football players' careers normally ruined for being caught drinking? If not, we have a double standard here.

I realize Texas is "like a whole other country" and all. So the players here will probably be held to this double standard way longer than elsewhere.

Weebe
03-20-2014, 07:45 AM
It's still illegal until they change the law. It's also a banned substance under NCAA rules.

Nobody to blame but himself for the drug charge. An yes, I know many football players do the same.

Lion70
03-20-2014, 07:56 AM
He has withdrawn from A&M. He is hoping to rejoin the team in august. He is apparently behind in the classroom making this his only realistic option. He lost his 2 month old daughter last September and has been through a lot. Prayers and time is what he needs.

caleb_mccaig
03-20-2014, 09:37 AM
It's still illegal until they change the law. It's also a banned substance under NCAA rules.

Nobody to blame but himself for the drug charge. An yes, I know many football players do the same.

Agreed, the NFL or the NCAA isn't going to let its players that are in Washington or Colorado smoke ever. I know in Colorado it's against the law to even have any marijuana whatsoever on any campus'.

You can say it's going to probably be legal in many, many states over time but Texas I highly doubt will ever be one of them unless the feds decriminalize it.

Aesculus gilmus
03-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Agreed, the NFL or the NCAA isn't going to let its players that are in Washington or Colorado smoke ever. I know in Colorado it's against the law to even have any marijuana whatsoever on any campus'.

You can say it's going to probably be legal in many, many states over time but Texas I highly doubt will ever be one of them unless the feds decriminalize it.

Since when did Texas start looking to the federal government for guidance? All I've ever heard from Rick Perry and most other Texas pols is talk of "states' rights." Gov. Perry, to his credit, IS in favor of decriminalization, if not outright legalization.

This is probably because he still has national ambitions and knows that the only hope of the Republicans ever winning back the White House is to take a more libertarian approach. The youth (below 40 or even 50, I'd say) are more libertarian in outlook on a whole host of issues.

caleb_mccaig
03-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Since when did Texas start looking to the federal government for guidance? All I've ever heard from Rick Perry and most other Texas pols is talk of "states' rights." Gov. Perry, to his credit, IS in favor of decriminalization, if not outright legalization.

This is probably because he still has national ambitions and knows that the only hope of the Republicans ever winning back the White House is to take a more libertarian approach. The youth (below 40 or even 50, I'd say) are more libertarian in outlook on a whole host of issues.

I'm 23, and have only one remotely liberal view, I know one person I went to school with who is a liberal and every other friend I have that is knowledgeable in politics (other than myself) is involved in the Tea Party. I think youth across the country is probably more libertarian, but in Texas I'd say most of the youth is Tea Party or extremely conservative. Unless, you go down to the cesspool that is Austin of course.

I don't care if pot is legalized, it won't change how my life is affected. Should it be legalized? I don't see what it would hurt, and the only people it would affect are the bottom feeders of society because people with decent jobs will still be drug tested, but will Texas decriminalize it? I would personally be surprised. But yes, you do make a great point about Perry supporting it, I had totally forgotten about that.

Aesculus gilmus
03-20-2014, 11:21 AM
At my business, we employ a couple of young women. One of them told me recently that she and most others her age don't understand why there is such fervor opposing "same sex marriage." This is Gilmer. It doesn't get much more conservative than Gilmer or East Texas in general. So I wouldn't be too quick to label the Texas youth as Tea Party or extremely conservative.

I think APATHY predominates not only among Texas youth, but all age groups. In our recent election, 15 percent of registered voters turned out in this county. I was in the 85 percent. I don't see the point anymore. Texas in general has one of the lowest turnout rates of all 50 states. I am getting the vibe more and more that the powers that be, especially in this state, really don't want that many people voting anyhow.

I am not young, but I have learned over the years that elections don't change much of anything and usually just cause division and turmoil, even ending friendships that never would've suffered had the former friends not made the mistake of discussing politics. So I will not discuss this any further on here. Nothing you or I say here will change anything.

Incidentally, Roger Goodell may be coming around to a different point of view, according to this:
"Roger Goodell: NFL may allow medical marijuana if it helps with concussions"
http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/23/roger-goodell-medical-marijuana-concussions/

Ville-D
03-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Didn't he move to Carthage after getting kicked off another team after punching a coach? Its sad to waste that talent because of self control and drug issues.

BwdLion73
03-20-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm 23, and have only one remotely liberal view, I know one person I went to school with who is a liberal and every other friend I have that is knowledgeable in politics (other than myself) is involved in the Tea Party. I think youth across the country is probably more libertarian, but in Texas I'd say most of the youth is Tea Party or extremely conservative. Unless, you go down to the cesspool that is Austin of course.

I don't care if pot is legalized, it won't change how my life is affected. Should it be legalized? I don't see what it would hurt, and the only people it would affect are the bottom feeders of society because people with decent jobs will still be drug tested, but will Texas decriminalize it? I would personally be surprised. But yes, you do make a great point about Perry supporting it, I had totally forgotten about that.

Maybe not all is lost...:2thumbsup

buckeyebob
03-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Didn't he move to Carthage after getting kicked off another team after punching a coach? Its sad to waste that talent because of self control and drug issues.

He did move to Carthage from Elysian Fields, a 2A school with minimal success in football. It is just down the road.

Dawgs
03-23-2014, 05:08 PM

Im not going to say this kid does not have a problem with self control, but saying "drug issues" might be a little over stated. Hopefully he can get his life in order.

Dawgs
03-23-2014, 05:13 PM
At my business, we employ a couple of young women. One of them told me recently that she and most others her age don't understand why there is such fervor opposing "same sex marriage." This is Gilmer. It doesn't get much more conservative than Gilmer or East Texas in general. So I wouldn't be too quick to label the Texas youth as Tea Party or extremely conservative.

I think APATHY predominates not only among Texas youth, but all age groups. In our recent election, 15 percent of registered voters turned out in this county. I was in the 85 percent. I don't see the point anymore. Texas in general has one of the lowest turnout rates of all 50 states. I am getting the vibe more and more that the powers that be, especially in this state, really don't want that many people voting anyhow.

I am not young, but I have learned over the years that elections don't change much of anything and usually just cause division and turmoil, even ending friendships that never would've suffered had the former friends not made the mistake of discussing politics. So I will not discuss this any further on here. Nothing you or I say here will change anything.

Incidentally, Roger Goodell may be coming around to a different point of view, according to this:
"Roger Goodell: NFL may allow medical marijuana if it helps with concussions"
http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/23/roger-goodell-medical-marijuana-concussions/

I think you have hit the nail on the head here... I would say the younger generation even in Texas is going more liberal on social issues. I know I am, although I'm not that young. As far as economical issues I tend to be far more conservative. As far as pot being illegal, that is the biggest joke since prohibition. I have a feeling in 20 years young people will look back in shock that pot was ever illegal. I guess this board is not the place for that kind of talk though.

Dawgs
03-23-2014, 05:17 PM

You have a lot to learn my young friend if you think only bottom feeders smoke marijuana. Some of the brightest people I know use marijuana recreationally. I would agree that only bottom feeders fail drug test for a job though.

Ville-D
03-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Im not going to say this kid does not have a problem with self control, but saying "drug issues" might be a little over stated. Hopefully he can get his life in order.

Was he suspended from the team for something other than "drug issues"?

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D