PDA

View Full Version : TX. Girls Coaches Assoc.-3A State Poll Feb.18, 2003

Old Cardinal
02-21-2003, 08:39 PM
The Poll for 3A HS Softball is as follows: 1. Splendora 2. Bridge City 3. Lindale 4. Decatur 5. Bandera 6. Sweeny 7. Midland Greenwood 8. LaVernia 9. Kirbyville 10. West.....Splendora is lead by Melissa Collins, a pitcher deluxe #2 Bridge City has two good seasoned pitchers in Laura Gremillion and Megan Godwin. Kirbyville is led by Holly Tankersley a great pitcher and consistant home run hitter....Can someone tell us about the other teams ranked this time of year?

slpybear the bullfan
02-22-2003, 04:59 PM
Yeah Card, I can tell you a little about Decatur.

The team is led by Junior Pitcher Casey Dobbs, (don't know exactly how the first name is spelled.) She was the sophomore phenom that led the team to quarter finals last year.

The colleges are really starting to call on her, and I know from talking to her dad, (whom I work with), that she has improved since last year.

I can't say much about the rest of the team, but I will try and get some info and then post it here.

greendog fan
02-23-2003, 11:24 AM
Old Cardinal:
The Poll for 3A HS Softball is as follows: 1. Splendora 2. Bridge City 3. Lindale 4. Decatur 5. Bandera 6. Sweeny 7. Midland Greenwood 8. LaVernia 9. Kirbyville 10. West.....Splendora is lead by Melissa Collins, a pitcher deluxe #2 Bridge City has two good seasoned pitchers in Laura Gremillion and Megan Godwin. Kirbyville is led by Holly Tankersley a great pitcher and consistant home run hitter....Can someone tell us about the other teams ranked this time of year?cant belive they have bandera rated so high. they lost alot of players and their ace picture.

Old Cardinal
02-23-2003, 11:37 AM
To Slpybear: I would think it will possibly end up with Decatur in that Region...To Greendog fan: I think both Bandara and Sweeny have lost their top Pitcher; but evidently the Coaches poll feel they have enough Select players to fill the voids, and continue on....Personally, I think that Caldwell, under Coach Wendy Weiss, and Hamshire-Fannett, under Coach Shorty, have the personnel to be considered "dark horses"....Can someone also tell us about more teams in the hunt.?

slpybear the bullfan
02-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Old Card, just wanted to get the name right... I checked this morning in the paper and the name is spelled KASI DOBBS.

I think Decatur is 5-0 on the year, I'll try and help out the folks across BIG Sandy by providing some updates as the year get's further along.

slpybear

ps - Who would have thought someone from Bridgeport would be covering Decatur sports???

Old Cardinal
02-25-2003, 11:38 AM
I see that the UIL says there are 198 teams of 3A Girls Softball(that's almost 2200 girls, at 11 per team)....Could folks please list the teams from each District that you think will make the playoffs. If you have specific info of interest on any team-please share it with us...

Phil C
02-25-2003, 11:42 AM
Hey Old can you give us the web site where we can get the coach's poll on the other classifications. I am also interested in 2A and 4A. Please post if you can and if not thank you for the 3A information.

Old Cardinal
02-25-2003, 11:51 AM
Sure, Used GOOGLE and go to Texas Girls Coaches Association-
and navigate to Softball...Old

Phil C
02-25-2003, 11:53 AM
Old in District 30-3A I think the top teams in the district will be Sinton, Ingleside and Aransas Pass. The Sinton girls lost several key players from last year and have a lot of new young players but by the time district comes around and playoffs come that they will start getting it together and have a very good team. Ingleside had a good team and was probably the best non-playoff team last year to not make the playoffs but last year this district had three outstanding teams that did well in the playoffs in Sinton, Odem, and George West. The latter two are in 2A now and George West should be a state contender there. Aransas Pass had a good team last year too and should get in the playoffs.

Phil C
02-25-2003, 12:21 PM
I found it Old and thank you. I think the poll is overlooking a powerhouse in not ranking George West and I think they are going to surprise a lot of people in 2A softball because they had a great 3A team last year and were young and are returning their pitcher and most of their players. In a way it is probably good they are unranked because they can sneak up on everyone. They will be a force in 2A football. Also I think Kingsville King in 4A is underated at No. 7 because they are returning most of their players from the team that last year lost by one point to Smithson Valley that lost state by one run last year and were state champions two years ago. Look for Kingsville and George West to be two tough teams in softball next year in their classifications.

Old Cardinal
02-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Yes, I agree with you about George West being loaded. Thanks for the info on Kingsville King, I knew nothing about that team. They have a e-mail contact on the softball poll page, if you would like to express your views on George West.