PDA

View Full Version : Waco Midway Offensive Co Gerald Perry to Mineral Wells

mwrams
03-08-2014, 05:21 AM
, the Mineral Wells ISD Board of Trustees announced their decision to hire Waco Midway's Co-Offensive Coordinator Gerald Perry as the new Athletic Director and head football coach of Mineral Wells High School.

S3rg72
03-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Is that a good hire or not ? I hope so but if we look at his record as a head coach are better now or the same. His kid is qb and a freshman that played JV in midway so did we hire him for his kid or him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabid Cougar
03-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Is that a good hire or not ? I hope so but if we look at his record as a head coach are better now or the same. His kid is qb and a freshman that played JV in midway so did we hire him for his kid or him?

Perry was the running back coach.
Hired for the son? No. Midway has a pretty good starting QB and his son was not going to play until he was a senior. Not to say the kid isn't good though. Perry had a lot of talent to work with at Midway. They are pretty good at cherry picking the WISD high schools.

S3rg72
03-08-2014, 11:32 AM
So it a good hire or not? If he can do what they said he can do I'm happy but I've heard it before

Rabid Cougar
03-08-2014, 11:34 AM
So it a good hire or not? If he can do what they said he can do I'm happy but I've heard it before

I have no idea.

mwrams
03-08-2014, 12:48 PM
I have no idea.

Mineral Wells has a freshman QB that can flat out play. They only lost one game last year and that was by 6 to powerhouse Aledo's sophmore team. He will have some athletes to work with...But time will tell as the Rams are going in a new direction.

S3rg72
03-08-2014, 09:57 PM
We lost by a lot more than 6 points to them and do agree they have some players.

mwrams
03-09-2014, 05:39 AM
We lost by a lot more than 6 points to them and do agree they have some players.

You are correct they did lose by more than six. I was given wrong info. But, they do have some very good athletes coming up. I would look for them to begin to make noise.

dog40
03-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Just curious, does anyone know why he left Bastrop to go and be a RB coach at midway? What was his record there?

Ernest T Bass
03-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Yes, it's a great hire. Way better than Miserable Smells deserves. Hopefully they've learned their lesson and will treat this one right.
Rabid, Midway isn't WISD, it's Midway ISD.
He left Bastrop because the talent was dropping completely off the map, and Midway is a great program. I figured he'd wait until his kid graduated to get another HC gig, but I guess he felt the itch earlier.

S3rg72
03-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Why do you all ways call it Miserable Smells and have ever been there?

Ernest T Bass
03-10-2014, 09:30 AM
I call it that b/c it rhymes with Mineral Wells, and b/c it's a rathole of a town. Yes, Ive been there many times; and after the way that community has treated coaches in the past, they should consider themselves fortunate that anyone even applies there anymore.

S3rg72
03-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Compared to what town? Which coaches are referring too?

mwrams
03-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Compared to what town? Which coaches are referring too?

He only calls it a rathole because someone he knows that coached there was let go! Its a very fine town that has fallen on a lot of hard times due to political reasons. You could bash any town for that matter. I dont see you bashing the Ville back when the KKK was parading though town all the time....
We welcome Coach Perry and wish him only the best as he begins his new job.

Ernest T Bass
03-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Let's see; I saw the entire Miserable Smells crowd cheer when Kelly West's son tore his ACL, and the supt even said that that moment was the reason Kelly was let go(even though he was the first HC to lead them to the playoffs in decades).
I then have heard first hand how Bourquin retired early just to get out of that town after the way he was treated.
Then Chuck Lawrence, who is very well respected among coaching ranks and also managed to lead that program to the playoffs, and is a hometown boy as well, was also let go for reasons that were never disclosed to him.
I call it a rathole b/c the town is basically one big trailer park; and it's that way because it's a very trashy community. However, there are many trashy towns in Texas. My disdain for it comes from the way that my professional counterparts have been treated there.

mwrams
03-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Let's see; I saw the entire Miserable Smells crowd cheer when Kelly West's son tore his ACL, and the supt even said that that moment was the reason Kelly was let go(even though he was the first HC to lead them to the playoffs in decades).
I then have heard first hand how Bourquin retired early just to get out of that town after the way he was treated.
Then Chuck Lawrence, who is very well respected among coaching ranks and also managed to lead that program to the playoffs, and is a hometown boy as well, was also let go for reasons that were never disclosed to him.
I call it a rathole b/c the town is basically one big trailer park; and it's that way because it's a very trashy community. However, there are many trashy towns in Texas. My disdain for it comes from the way that my professional counterparts have been treated there.

The back up QB's mom began to scream at Coach West and she had some pull with somebody. Bourquin is still in Mineral Wells...He is selling real estate...more money than coaching! and as for Lawrence....he has no business being a coach. He is a very arrogant person with only his own interest....the kids refused to play for him. You sound very bitter....I bet your kin to Kelly West!

Ernest T Bass
03-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Negative. No kin whatsoever. Just a coach, who happens to know Kelly, and David, and Chuck, and from hearing about their experiences, you couldn't pay me enough money to work in Miserable Smells. That community deserves the lack of success they've had. Perry is a good friend of mine as well, and he's much more than that community deserves. Here's hoping they appreciate this one.

S3rg72
03-11-2014, 07:44 PM
So your saying that wins and losses had nothing to do with it and I don't remember Coach West got MW to the playoffs. If your a coach than you know that your record has something to do with you keeping your job. So what MW has done is no different that any other towns does.

Ernest T Bass
03-11-2014, 08:04 PM
So your saying that wins and losses had nothing to do with it and I don't remember Coach West got MW to the playoffs. If your a coach than you know that your record has something to do with you keeping your job. So what MW has done is no different that any other towns does.

Yes, Kelly West took the Rams to the playoffs for the first time in over 10 years.

S3rg72
03-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Chuck was ready to retire and been tell everyone he was. Til he saw the freshman play but it was to late the board was ready to look for someone else. Plus some of the coaches were saying that he was already marking the losses on the board before two a days. So don't you think he really wanted to stay

mwrams
03-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Chuck was ready to retire and been tell everyone he was. Til he saw the freshman play but it was to late the board was ready to look for someone else. Plus some of the coaches were saying that he was already marking the losses on the board before two a days. So don't you think he really wanted to stay

Why anyone would take up for Lawrence evidently does not really know the man. But before you go bashing Mineral Wells...let me educate you a little...Most decorated Soldier Audie Murphy did his basic combat training here. We have been the home of a 2014 Grammy Award winner. A Texas State Senator, A Shuttle Astronaut, 3 NFL players, one who caught a touchdown in the Super Bowl. A QB thats in the College Football Hall of Fame. An Historic Hotel that hosted the likes of Judy Garland, Ronald Reagan, Will Rogers not to mention a host of others, Bob Ledbetter (South Lake Carroll) Frank Bevers (Highland Park) started here...Hall of Fame Coach Chuck Curtis retired here.....Why dont you go bash a border town before you bash the home of many fine people...Not to mention every Helicopter pilot that saw duty in Vietnam once trained here.....That alone makes my hometown sacred ground.....

S3rg72
03-13-2014, 03:21 PM
I wasn't defending him. I was saying he was ready to go and stop coaching before the season started. I'm from here and I know the good and bad of my town.

Ernest T Bass
03-13-2014, 05:04 PM
That alone makes my hometown sacred ground.....

No it doesn't. That just says that MW is yet another small Texas town that went from nice to crap over the years.

mwrams
03-13-2014, 08:39 PM
No it doesn't. That just says that MW is yet another small Texas town that went from nice to crap over the years.

Obvoiusly your not a veteran of the Vietnam era or you would understand.

S3rg72
03-21-2014, 12:04 AM
Boys meet the coach they already like him. Made a big impression on my son. My son said his very positive and ready to make big changes.