PDA

View Full Version : Argyle perspective

firstdown
03-07-2014, 08:49 AM
This incredible video by Argyle student Matt Garnett is must see stuff for all Argyle fans and anyone who loves Texas HS football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n2Wigf72hQ&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

NTFan
03-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Very, very cool.

refereedoc
03-07-2014, 10:55 AM
:2thumbsup
Great video.

Aesculus gilmus
03-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Excellent videography from an excellent district.

We in 4A will regret having to say goodbye in a few years to this fine school as Argyle rockets first into 5A and then shortly thereafter into 6A as all the thousands of new residents of the district settle into the new subdivisions springing up.

At least Gilmer beat Argyle once in football. None of the East Texas schools can say that about our games with Southlake Carroll more than 20 years ago as it was rocketing up to the highest classification.

bobcat1
03-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Awesome video. Congrats!

regaleagle
03-08-2014, 01:09 PM
I will not be donning a rocketpack....thank you very much, lol. Being there from inception, I can appreciate the early years up to this season's breakthrough SC title in football, and what transpired to build the successful program Argyle has in most all sports. Moving up a level will be much easier, imo. Getting started and developing a program from the ground up took lots of coordination, long hours, selflessness, great people, and tons of desire....from everybody. Now that the program is successful, maintaining the standards established should carry Argyle forward into the future as a very competitive school regardless of classification. BUT.....I just don't see 6A in Argyle's future at all. And 5A may well be further away than most are thinking. Some of those new students will be located in the adjacent NWISD that borders AISD. AISD is somewhat landlocked on ALL sides and very small.

Aesculus gilmus
03-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Rockets are only for earthbound misfits like Buckeyes to begin with, so let me rephrase that. I should have said you'll be soaring on wings of Eagles into the higher classifications.

I'd say, after reading this, that five years from now, Argyle will have 5A numbers. So the February 2020 classification will promote you to 5A.

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20140225-argyle-isd-puts-bond-up-for-vote.ece

Also, I have to apologize to Daingerfield. In going back and checking the historical records on Lone Star Football Network, I have found that Daingerfield eliminated Southlake Carroll, 19-13, in the third round of the 3A playoffs in 1989.

NastySlot
03-08-2014, 03:43 PM
I will not be donning a rocketpack....thank you very much, lol. Being there from inception, I can appreciate the early years up to this season's breakthrough SC title in football, and what transpired to build the successful program Argyle has in most all sports. Moving up a level will be much easier, imo. Getting started and developing a program from the ground up took lots of coordination, long hours, selflessness, great people, and tons of desire....from everybody. Now that the program is successful, maintaining the standards established should carry Argyle forward into the future as a very competitive school regardless of classification. BUT.....I just don't see 6A in Argyle's future at all. And 5A may well be further away than most are thinking. Some of those new students will be located in the adjacent NWISD that borders AISD. AISD is somewhat landlocked on ALL sides and very small.

before Argyle opened its high school were the kids zone to Northwest or Denton or both?

cowboyandchrist
03-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Excellent videography from an excellent district.

We in 4A will regret having to say goodbye in a few years to this fine school as Argyle rockets first into 5A and then shortly thereafter into 6A as all the thousands of new residents of the district settle into the new subdivisions springing up.

At least Gilmer beat Argyle once in football. None of the East Texas schools can say that about our games with Southlake Carroll more than 20 years ago as it was rocketing up to the highest classification.

I may be wrong, but I think the Carthage Dawgs beat Argyle twice.

Aesculus gilmus
03-08-2014, 08:58 PM
I know Carthage beat Argyle, 44-27, in Tyler in 2010 right after Argyle had eliminated Gilmer, 41-14, in Ennis, but in 2011 Argyle turned the tables and edged out Carthage, 35-34, in double OT in Mansfield.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/football-news/headlines/20111125-regional-semifinal-roundup-missed-pat-costs-carthage-in-35-34-double-ot-loss-to-argyle.ece

In 2012 and 2013, Carthage was in Division I.

I find that Carthage and Argyle have only played each other twice in looking at the historical record:

http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?action=schedule&T=1521&S=2010&GUID=8547586798

regaleagle
03-09-2014, 03:57 AM
You are quite right, AG. The record does not lie. Carthage is a great program that may be the very best in 3A since Southlake Carroll...or even better. Back then, it's difficult to compare the teams as they are now in 3A. I would venture to say that Argyle vs Carthage would be a worthy game any year. Carthage is unfortunately quite a distance from Argyle for either team to schedule a regular season game, but OH what a game that would be!!! Argyle is willing to take on any quality program in any sport just to test our mettle against the very best. This is the kind of mentality that builds winning programs and leaders for tomorrow. To be the best in anything, you must be willing and able to compete against the best in a very competitive environment. Whether you win or lose the game is not the issue....competing at a very high level successfully is what counts the most. In that way, all competitors are winners.

cr180t
03-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Great video. Thanks for sharing

regaleagle
03-09-2014, 01:22 PM
before Argyle opened its high school were the kids zone to Northwest or Denton or both?

Argyle had a grade and middle school, but the high schoolers attended Northwest. Of course, there was also Liberty Christian(private) located in Denton at that time, and some students from the area attended there(not sure how many). Since then, Liberty Christian sold that parcel to North Texas and built a new campus in Argyle. We still have some students in the AISD that attend Liberty Christian(don't know the numbers), but I will assume many families that wish to enroll their kids in Liberty Christian eventually try to move in to the Argyle area. And perhaps some of the new housing projects proposed will house quite a few families with kids enrolled at Liberty Christian. You have to take into account the shortage that existed in Argyle of single family housing at an affordable price for families. Most real estate values either included acreage, was too high end, or just not very many houses to select from. These proposed subdivisions will change that for families of both schools. As a result, a certain larger percentage of the "new" proposed housing developments to be built in the coming years in Argyle will factor for Argyle High School, some will factor for Argyle Liberty Christian, and some will actually fall into the NWISD ETJ(based on location). The information I am getting about the location of the proposed projects points towards the areas bordering the NWISD, with parts of the planned subdivisions falling in that ETJ. Of course, that won't matter for those families that have kids enrolled at Liberty Christian....just gives them another option nearby.

firstdown
03-09-2014, 05:56 PM

Before Argyle had our on HS they would provide transportation to Denton HS. However you could go to any district you wanted to but you had to provide your own transportation. My Brother went to Denton, I had a sister that went to Lake Dallas and one that went to Southlake Carrol. I myself went to Northwest. My children were lucky enough to all three go to Argyle HS. Liberty Christian was not much of an option Argyle ISD would not pay the tuition for a private school and FYI they were located in Denton up until about 10 years ago.

buckeyebob
03-09-2014, 10:00 PM
We will miss Argyle...always a good game

oldtownag
03-10-2014, 08:55 AM
If I were a Gilmer fan I would be ecstatic that Argyle and Carthage were no longer in my Classification.

However, I don't think I would come on down low and make it so obvious.

:cool:

Aesculus gilmus
03-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Respectfully, I don't think that is the case at all. It's just the opposite. I heard from a reliable source that Gilmer very much wanted to play Argyle in a regular season game this season.

Carthage wiil have to do for 2014 and 2015. We are all looking forward to that game. Win or lose (and, admittedly, there are more losses than wins since 2008, same as the Argyle series), it ought to be a great game.

There was a time when I might have agreed with you about Gilmer scheduling too many powderpuff opponents, but not in recent years.

oldtownag
03-10-2014, 10:31 AM
I didn't say Gilmer didn't want to play Carthage or Argyle. I was just making the point that Carthage and Argyle have knocked Gilmer out of the playoffs quite often in recent years.

I'm glad that Traylor manned up to play the dawgs this year.

buckeyebob
03-10-2014, 07:42 PM
If I were a Gilmer fan I would be ecstatic that Argyle and Carthage were no longer in my Classification.

However, I don't think I would come on down low and make it so obvious.

:cool:

Yep...Carthage is upset that their district has some players...we will do our best to get you ready with a good hard game.

waterboy
03-11-2014, 08:23 AM
I didn't say Gilmer didn't want to play Carthage or Argyle. I was just making the point that Carthage and Argyle have knocked Gilmer out of the playoffs quite often in recent years.

I'm glad that Traylor manned up to play the dawgs this year.

As a Buckeye fan, I will miss playing the likes of Argyle. Nobody that I know is "ecstatic" about not "having" to play Argyle or Carthage in the playoffs. Quite the opposite as a matter of fact. Argyle owns a 3-1 advantage in our meetings the last 4 years, so they most definitely have bragging rights over us. That's something that doesn't settle right with Buckeye fans. We always want an opportunity to even up with the good opponents, so we actually want to play them. Argyle is the ONLY team to beat Coach Traylor 3 times. We tried to work it out to play them in predistrict this year, but it didn't work out.

On the other hand, we haven't played Carthage but ONCE in the playoffs, and that was way back in '08, during Carthage's first state title run. They beat us 31-28 in a very good game. We've only had the opportunity to play Carthage twice since then when the UIL put us in the same district (the District of Doom!). We went 1-1 against them while in the same district. At least now we get the opportunity to even things up. Whether we will or not depends on the young men we have over these next two years. I am ecstatic that we got it worked out to play Carthage, win or lose.

buckeyebob
03-12-2014, 06:51 PM
As a Buckeye fan, I will miss playing the likes of Argyle. Nobody that I know is "ecstatic" about not "having" to play Argyle or Carthage in the playoffs. Quite the opposite as a matter of fact. Argyle owns a 3-1 advantage in our meetings the last 4 years, so they most definitely have bragging rights over us. That's something that doesn't settle right with Buckeye fans. We always want an opportunity to even up with the good opponents, so we actually want to play them. Argyle is the ONLY team to beat Coach Traylor 3 times. We tried to work it out to play them in predistrict this year, but it didn't work out.

On the other hand, we haven't played Carthage but ONCE in the playoffs, and that was way back in '08, during Carthage's first state title run. They beat us 31-28 in a very good game. We've only had the opportunity to play Carthage twice since then when the UIL put us in the same district (the District of Doom!). We went 1-1 against them while in the same district. At least now we get the opportunity to even things up. Whether we will or not depends on the young men we have over these next two years. I am ecstatic that we got it worked out to play Carthage, win or lose.

Very well said

Eagle Nation
03-20-2014, 09:42 AM
There is a Bond issue coming up for vote in Argyle for a new middle school (Phase 1 of the new high school) for 750 students.