PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam Era

maestro
03-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Being the history buff, I've been reading the five historical fiction novels written by Mark Berent, a Vietnam fighter pilot turned writer.

It is an excellent series, especially if you want an idea of Special Forces, the air war, and politics in Vietnam War.

My question to you knowledgeable posters is, in the novel he tells of American POWs being shipped by the KGB from North Vietnam to places in Russia for espionage purposes.

Anyone else hear of this taking place?

Is it the " historical " part or the writer's " fiction " part of the novels??

I strongly recommend these novels if these topics interests you.

I purchased mine on amazon through my kindle fire.

P.s.

Read these and you will also hate the French and Jane Fonda.

MUSTANG69
03-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Being the history buff, I've been reading the five historical fiction novels written by Mark Berent, a Vietnam fighter pilot turned writer.

It is an excellent series, especially if you want an idea of Special Forces, the air war, and politics in Vietnam War.

My question to you knowledgeable posters is, in the novel he tells of American POWs being shipped by the KGB from North Vietnam to places in Russia for espionage purposes.

Anyone else hear of this taking place?

Is it the " historical " part or the writer's " fiction " part of the novels??

I strongly recommend these novels if these topics interests you.

I purchased mine on amazon through my kindle fire.

P.s.

Read these and you will also hate the French and Jane Fonda.

I think we have a Vietnam era pilot on the board. Maybe he will step up and answer some of your questions.

ronwx5x
03-05-2014, 08:49 PM
You may mean me. I have no knowledge or even suspicions about POW's being sent to the USSR, held in Laos, or kept by the Vietnamese as bargaining chips. Now that the end of that debacle is more than 40 year past, I doubt any would still be alive. There were rumors of such, mostly by the conspiracy theory folks, but that is it, just rumors.

waterboy
03-06-2014, 09:38 AM
I've read a few articles and such about the Vietnam War, and have come to the conclusion that we will never really know what happened to those that are listed as MIA. My guess is that they were either executed immediately, served some prison time for war crimes (most likely in North Vietnam) where they eventually perished, or they were KIA and their bodies never found. There will always be conspiracies about what happened to them, but in my opinion they should be listed as KIA even though they never found them. Any way you look at it, they died in the war. I seriously doubt that any of them are still alive today, unless they were intentionally extracted from society by the CIA, which definitely wouldn't have been more than a handful. These are just opinions, though.

MUSTANG69
03-06-2014, 01:00 PM
You may mean me. I have no knowledge or even suspicions about POW's being sent to the USSR, held in Laos, or kept by the Vietnamese as bargaining chips. Now that the end of that debacle is more than 40 year past, I doubt any would still be alive. There were rumors of such, mostly by the conspiracy theory folks, but that is it, just rumors.

I did mean you but I wasn't going to name you. Some Vietnam vets are reluctant to talk about that war and I did not want to put you on the spot.

BB BULLS
03-06-2014, 01:59 PM
I did mean you but I wasn't going to name you. Some Vietnam vets are reluctant to talk about that war and I did not want to put you on the spot.

stang you right about that my dad was over there and he will not talk about it at all. he had some pictures form over there of him that he sent to my mom, when i got older she gave them to me. he was over one day and i took them out, he told if i ever brought them out again he would never be back to see me. i never asked him anything else about that time in life and he has never offered to tell anything.

ronwx5x
03-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Flying aircraft, while having inherent dangers, is nothing like being on the ground and actually seeing the enemy firing at you. While I lost several friends while there, I came back daily to an air conditioned room, three hot meals per day, relative security except when flying, and cold beer. When I graduated college, I was faced with the draft and chose to fly instead. Most people did not have that choice. I consider it a privilege to have served and am glad to have suffered no lasting problems. Many folks don't talk about it because of a feeling that the listener cannot possibly understand and most likely has no interest.

MUSTANG69
03-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Many folks don't talk about it because of a feeling that the listener cannot possibly understand and most likely has no interest.

This and I think the fact that many vets received a very negative reception when they came back to the U.S. is a contributing factor.