PDA

View Full Version : Support your 3A bands Monday Nov 4th

CentralTxFan
10-28-2002, 08:27 PM
Okay everyone. I know this is football but a 3A State event is coming up Monday Nov 4th. The state 3a marching contest and we should all support our "teams" that made it to these "playoffs". After all what is a high school football game without the band? These kids work as hard as the kids on the field and they too should be recognized. There are some holes in the schedule because of a cancelled competition in one region but here is the list so far of who will be in Waco on Monday. The TBA's will be filled in as soon as the competition is completed. What do you think Spaniard, puppetmaster? How does Burnet stand?

SCHOOL PERFORM

Canyon HS 9:30
TBA 9:45
Burnet HS 10:00
Rusk HS 10:15
Canton HS 10:30
TBA 10:45
BREAK 11:00-11:15
Robinson HS 11:15
Cleveland HS 11:30
Whitesboro HS 11:45
TBA 12:00
Monahans HS 12:15
Princeton HS 12:30
LUNCH 12:45-1:30
Brownfield HS 1:30
TBA 1:45
Lindale HS 2:00
China Spring HS 2:15
Wylie HS 2:30
TBA 2:45
VERIFY 3:00-3:15
ANNOUNCE 3:15

eye of the tiger
10-28-2002, 09:48 PM
I have seen both the Robinson and Canton bands and they are both awesome. Of course to make it that far they are all good.

Puppetmaster101
10-28-2002, 09:50 PM
Burnet will do exetremly well if they just fix a few problems I'm not at liberty to say cause then I'd be a hypocrite. I can tell you 1 thing though one of the reasons that we got to state was just because of that show. Our isn't flashy like some schools here but its exciting and patriotic. If we can just keep our interval we could end up mabye even in top 5 or if we're lucky top 3 in state. Im sure China Springs would agree with us.

bigdawg06
10-28-2002, 10:45 PM
i am gonna be there, good luck burnet, kick bottie!!

Adidas410s
10-29-2002, 12:19 AM
I was at the Area B show on Saturday and I have to say that Wylie and Canton should both be in the finals at State. Canton beat Wylie by 2pts. Wylie show has improved greatly over the two weeks since region and I am confident that they will fix the 2 or 3 remaining minute details. Right now, I think that Canton has to be considered the favorite to win state. They were 2nd in 2000, 3rd in 1998, and were named the 3A Honor Band for the 2002-2003 school year. With Hidalgo no longer being able to dominate 3A like they did for much of the 90's, that makes Canton the "favorite" to win it all. However don't count out Wylie and Princeton. Princeton had a solid show but their downside was that it wasn't very exciting. Wylie's show is just rockin, especially the closer. I know I may sound biased, but I really enjoyed their show at Area, Robinson should be very good as usual and I think that maybe even Brownfield and Burnet could advance to finals. It is really a toss-up as to who will advance besides Robinson and Canton. I think that those are the only two that are really "locks" to make finals unless something goes wrong in Prelims on Monday.

Who else is going to be there on Monday? We should try and set up some sort of get together for after prelims or something. Let me know if anybody is interested.

CentralTxFan
10-29-2002, 01:46 AM
Adidas...I have really been thinking about something...Did you notice how few bands are advancing to state this year? I wonder how many will be in the finals? There will only be 18 bands competing so in my opinion, the 18 that will be there are already really, really good. Let's leave it at that. wink Area E will have their competition on Wednsday so we will have to wait and see the final 5 semifinalists.

I will be there Monday, hoepfully. As the saying goes...God willing and the creeks don't rise!!!

BIG19
10-29-2002, 10:13 AM
CentralTxFan....The number that went to state was dependant on the number of bands that made 1's in their regionals. From what I was told, there had to be 20 bands in the contest, last Saturday, for 5 bands to continue on to state. Any less than that, there would only be 3 bands continue, as was the case. Question for you though, the results will be read a 3:15. Is this just the prelims and then the finalist march again? I am new to this whole band thing. Thanks

Adidas410s
10-29-2002, 10:19 AM
You are somewhat correct there. The number of bands that advance to state does depend on the # getting 1's at region. The number that advance from area works like this: If there are 15 bands or less then 3 bands advance. (2 bands if 15 or less in 5A) After that, for every 5 bands in the area contest, then 1 more band will advance to state. Also, any band receiving a ranking of 3 or higher (4 if 4 bands are advancing, 5 if 5, etc.) from 2 music judges and 1 marching judge will also advance to state. When they announce the results at 3:15ish, they will announce the top 7 or 8 bands and they will come back that night for finals, which usually starts around 6:30 to 7:00. The judges for finals are different that prelims.

RocketFan
10-29-2002, 10:46 AM
Good Luck to them all! But I'm pulling for the "Pride of the Blue" Go Robinson

cts76325i@skool
10-29-2002, 10:48 AM
"After all what is a high school football game without the band?"
Now i like the band but what you sound like you are saying is that the football needs the band(if you don't mean that then quit reading). i don't see it this way i see it as the band is dependent of the football program. with out a football team there would be no band. now i like band they do make the game more enjoyable but they do not make the game.

CentralTxFan:
Okay everyone. I know this is football but a 3A State event is coming up Monday Nov 4th. The state 3a marching contest and we should all support our "teams" that made it to these "playoffs". After all what is a high school football game without the band? These kids work as hard as the kids on the field and they too should be recognized. There are some holes in the schedule because of a cancelled competition in one region but here is the list so far of who will be in Waco on Monday. The TBA's will be filled in as soon as the competition is completed. What do you think Spaniard, puppetmaster? How does Burnet stand?

SCHOOL PERFORM

Canyon HS 9:30
TBA 9:45
Burnet HS 10:00
Rusk HS 10:15
Canton HS 10:30
TBA 10:45
BREAK 11:00-11:15
Robinson HS 11:15
Cleveland HS 11:30
Whitesboro HS 11:45
TBA 12:00
Monahans HS 12:15
Princeton HS 12:30
LUNCH 12:45-1:30
Brownfield HS 1:30
TBA 1:45
Lindale HS 2:00
China Spring HS 2:15
Wylie HS 2:30
TBA 2:45
VERIFY 3:00-3:15
ANNOUNCE 3:15

Adidas410s
10-29-2002, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cts76325i@skool:
[QB]"After all what is a high school football game without the band?"
Now i like the band but what you sound like you are saying is that the football needs the band(if you don't mean that then quit reading). i don't see it this way i see it as the band is dependent of the football program. with out a football team there would be no band. now i like band they do make the game more enjoyable but they do not make the game.

For you to say that "with out a football team there would be no band" is quite assanine. Band and football are two totally seperate entities. Instrumental preformances were around a LONG TIME before football as we know it was created in this country. Marching bands were around a long time before football as well. You can trace the roots of "marching music" back to military conflicts that go back many hundreds of years. Marching band is merely one facet of the overall band program. For most bands, marching season only lasts from August to early November and then they spend the rest of the year in concert season. Obviously band does not need another activity to thrive on the rest of the year and it is quite obvious that they ARE something w/o football. eek!

CHS_Grad '85
10-29-2002, 01:44 PM
Puppetmaster, you're right. I have seen Burnet's show, very moving - awesome. Good show on Monday...

CentralTxFan
10-29-2002, 02:38 PM
What I was trying to say is this....a high school football game without a band there playing music for the fans to get them pumped up even more is kinda sad. Case in point...our game last friday against wimberley. After halftime the band packed up and left so they could get a head start home because of the competition on Saturday. The stands were really quiet, music wise. But yes you are correct you DON'T have to have a band to have a football game. But also, you don't have to have a football team to have a marching band. I think the band ADDS something to a game. Think of a touchdown without the fight song being played. Think of not hearing your school song being played before the game, and after.

footballgal
10-29-2002, 02:43 PM
Best Wishes in Area to the Port Isabel Silver Tarpon Band
and the La Feria Lion Band!!! :D

CHS_QB_24
10-30-2002, 12:26 AM
I've been a varsity player for three years now and am going to have played in 30 games. There's still one thing that makes a Friday night a Friday night and that's Mr. Aikman's Lion band. Castleberry's band is awsome and they proved it two years ago, getting 3rd in state.

Adidas410s
10-30-2002, 12:54 AM
Castleberry really surprised me at Area on Saturday. I dont know their exact finish, but it wasn't even in the top 5. I dont know what circumstances may have occoured so I wont rush to any judgements, but their playing was weak at times and I think that is what cost them.

CentralTxFan
10-30-2002, 01:39 AM
Adidas...2 years ago, the judges who did the prelim for 5A judged the finals of 3A and vice versa. I wonder if that will be the case this year? Also, I heard a rumor that only 6 bands will advance to finals this year. Do you know if that is true?

Adidas410s
10-30-2002, 10:15 AM
CentralTxFan:
Adidas...2 years ago, the judges who did the prelim for 5A judged the finals of 3A and vice versa. I wonder if that will be the case this year? Also, I heard a rumor that only 6 bands will advance to finals this year. Do you know if that is true?This year there are 15 total judges. Five are doing just prelims, five are doing both, and five are doing just finals. Here is the list of those judges and what and where they will be judging.

Name, School, City, Prelims Assign, Finals Assign

Glen Adsit, The Hartt School, West Hartford, CT Music-5A Prelims, none

Scott Coulson, Poteet HS, Mesquite, TX, Music-5A Prelims, none

Garland Markham, Cobb County Public Schools, Marietta, GA, Music-5A Prelims, none

Greg Bimm, Marion Catholic HS, Chicago Hts, IL, Marching-5A Prelims, none

Jim Hudson, Southwest Texas State University, San Marcos, TX, Marching-5A Prelims, none

Cody Birdwell, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX, Music-3A Prelims, Music-5A Finals

Tom Caneva, University of Illinois, Champaign, IL Music-3A Prelims, Music-5A Finals

Rob Carnochan, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, Music-3A Prelims, Music-5A Finals

Michael C. Robinson, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, Marching-3A Prelims, Marching-5A Finals

Scott Weiss, Lamar University, Beaumont, TX, Marching-3A Prelims, Marching-5A Finals

Bobby Francis, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, TX, none, Music-3A Finals

Brad Kent, Texas A&M University at Commerce, Commerce, TX, none, Music -3A Finals

Stan Mauldin, Holliday HS, Wichita Falls, TX, none, Music-3A Finals

Fred Pankratz, Canadian HS, Canadian, TX, none, Marching-3A Finals

Tom SoRelle, Frenship HS, Lubbock, TX, none, Marching-3A Finals

I hope that this list makes sense and doesn't look like a bunch of blah. If you can't read it, go to UIL State Marching Band (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/mus/smbc.html) and scroll to the bottom for the list of judges.

Here is what they have on the UIL site regarding how many bands will advance to finals. This is only what it says for A/AA. There is nothing on there for 3A or 5A regarding the number advancing to the finals. I will call around today and let you know once I get an answer.

In Conference A/AA, the bands ranked in the top five places will automatically advance to the finals. In addition any band below fifth place that receives a rank of five or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the finals.

CentralTxFan
10-30-2002, 05:07 PM
Thanks Adidas. DUH...I could have looked on the UIL site as well. It does appear that some of the judges will be switching between the two divisions. I couldn't find anything on the site about the numbers moving on...guess I will just wait and see who gets what. It is going to be a fun day!

Adidas410s
10-30-2002, 09:04 PM
I talked to the Wylie band director today and he said that 7 bands will be advancing to finals in 3A. Also there is a change to the extra band rule for this year. Any band not in the top 7 that receives a rank of 3 or higher from 2 music and 1 marching judge will also advance to finals along w/ the 7 bands. Previously it was if there were 5 going to finals, any w/ 5 or higher from 2 music and 1 marching would advance, or whatever the number of bands advancing to finals is.

lildawg07
10-30-2002, 10:31 PM
Good Luck Burnet! Knock em' dead at state! congrats on getting this far!

lildawg07
10-30-2002, 10:32 PM
Good Luck Burnet! Knock em' dead at state! congrats on getting this far!

CHSsports12
10-30-2002, 11:57 PM
Yes I agree with CHS_QB_24.The Castleberry lion band is a very strategic band,and they work hard and probally would have been #1 in state this year if that gay judge at Area didnt screw them over.See I know that they work hard because I'm a former player of the band until I was kicked out for fighting and when I did get kicked out I was they strongest tuba player and they lost alot of background sound thats why there sound isnt that strong(not bragging at all)!!But Mr.Aikman is a fine band director and any school would be very lucky to have him as a teacher because he inspires his students and is a nice guy and teaches very well.He taught me to play my instrument in one week!Then I made first band and beat players that had been playing their instrument for 3 or 4 years, so that just proves that Mr.Aikman's band can play because he's a good teacher and they just can.See this is why the band isnt going to state,Later in the years Mr.Aikman was a judge at a contest and he gave the judge's band that judged us a 2-3-3 and he got Pi**ed off,So whenever he gave us our ratings he placed us 9th in playing and another school 1st in music and that band that got 1st in music ended up getting 10th overall and we got 8th so see whats wrong with that,So I think that judge is corruppted and that UIL should kick him out and that Castleberry's Lion Marching Band should go onto state so that they can get 1st---So BEWARE Canton!!!!!!

CHSsports12
10-30-2002, 11:57 PM
Yes I agree with CHS_QB_24.The Castleberry lion band is a very strategic band,and they work hard and probally would have been #1 in state this year if that gay judge at Area didnt screw them over.See I know that they work hard because I'm a former player of the band until I was kicked out for fighting and when I did get kicked out I was they strongest tuba player and they lost alot of background sound thats why there sound isnt that strong(not bragging at all)!!But Mr.Aikman is a fine band director and any school would be very lucky to have him as a teacher because he inspires his students and is a nice guy and teaches very well.He taught me to play my instrument in one week!Then I made first band and beat players that had been playing their instrument for 3 or 4 years, so that just proves that Mr.Aikman's band can play because he's a good teacher and they just can.See this is why the band isnt going to state,Later in the years Mr.Aikman was a judge at a contest and he gave the judge's band that judged us a 2-3-3 and he got Pi**ed off,So whenever he gave us our ratings he placed us 9th in playing and another school 1st in music and that band that got 1st in music ended up getting 10th overall and we got 8th so see whats wrong with that,So I think that judge is corruppted and that UIL should kick him out and that Castleberry's Lion Marching Band should go onto state so that they can get 1st---So BEWARE Canton!!!!!!

Adidas410s
10-31-2002, 01:32 AM
Sorry to say, but the low brass wasn't where the sound was lacking. During the sets w/ longer counts, the upper brass started cracking a lot of pitches and their entrances were shaky at times. I didn't get to see Whitesboro (congrats to my former boss Jim Cude, their director) but Castleberry wasn't as good as the other 3 that advanced. I didnt see Wills Point so I cant argue there.

The way the area scoring is set up, one judge can't keep a band from advancing. If you refer to previous posts or go to the UIL site and read the Area/State procedures you would notice a little clause that reads something similar to this: {In the case of Area B} The 4 bands w/ the lowest composite scores will advance to the state preliminaries. Also, any band receiving a ranking of 4 or higher from 2 music judges and 1 marching judge will also advance to state.

This clause is to prevent one judge who may have a prejudice against a particular school or director CANT effect the outcome. If the majority of the judges in BOTH music and marching believed that Castleberry should be at state (meaning they got a 4 or higher) then they would have!!! You can many any case you want about one judge being an idiot, but that just makes you sound ignorant because I know Mr. Aikman well enough to know that he knows those are the rules and I highly doubt that he is throwing any fit about it. Maybe he hasn't told you about that. Oh wait that's right, you are the big tough guy who got in a fight and got kicked out. Really mature bud. Anyways, good night and good luck to all the bands who belong at State! :D :D :D

footballgal
10-31-2002, 09:07 AM
Congratulatios to TarponRl3k and The Port Isabel Fightin' Tarpon Band as they have advanced to the State Competition!, with the La Feria Lion band as the alternate.

Way to blow Kristen!! LOL :D
I am very happy to hear that you'll are doing so well. Keep up the hard work and it will payoff in the end. Think Big think, State Champs! Remember it's within your reach, as another 32-AAA band has been recent State Champs twice already. Look forward to seeing you're preformance this Friday... Well maybe as it is suppose to rain today and all the way through the weekend.

marlin fan
11-01-2002, 09:42 AM
well i am mad that the marlin band didn't do good at uil but there's nothing i can do about but i do want to wish Robinson good luck at state