PDA

View Full Version : Question for Argyle people

Aesculus gilmus
02-28-2014, 11:53 AM
http://www.hillwoodcommunities.com/Communities/Harvest,Texas.aspx

I heard a commercial for this on the radio last night.

It seems to fly in the face of what some of the Argyle posters have said about Argyle being able to keep from growing into a higher classification.

In my view, Gilmer and Argyle won't ever be in the same division again because Gilmer will very likely be experiencing a shrinking enrollment in coming years due to the ongoing deterioration of its infrastructure.

But I just wonder how long Argyle will even remain in 4A after hearing this advertised.

regaleagle
02-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Maybe I should move back to Argyle now and become a farmer, haha. Nope....this is a new development that has transcended the previous city planners that had control of things in Argyle for many years. I guess BIG MONEY and greed has won the day in the battle to keep Argyle "small". But lets also do the math. One thousand homes might equate to maybe 1500 more students spread across different grade levels. That may increase enrollment numbers in high school upwards maybe only 500 students or possibly less. Argyle's current enrollment is at 698. That still leaves Argyle in 4A with approx. 1100 students in 5 yrs from today. By that time Gilmer should still be in 4A and would likely be in Division I(since you missed it by only a handful of students this realignment). Don't lose hope so fast there, AG. Maybe Gilmer will still get a chance for redemption. The sky is not falling in Argyle. From the looks of it, even this new development has some "controls" built into it from the city planners. I sure hope they factor in a grocery store, lol. And remember....the press release also included NW ISD ETJ as sharing part of this new development, so some of the students will be in that ETJ and go to Justin Northwest, not to Argyle.

regaleagle
02-28-2014, 01:37 PM
That area proposed for this new development has to be on the west side of I-35 out in the fields that border the NWISD. I know the area, and that is the only logical spot that 1,000 homes can be built. There's nothing out there but wide open farmland....not even any trees for several miles. I reckon somebody made a big deal and sold it off to the money developers that had enough influence locally to get it approved by the council. Now how could that happen, shucks.

Aesculus gilmus
02-28-2014, 01:49 PM
One of these days I'm going to drive through Argyle just to say I've seen it.

As for your prediction of Gilmer going into Division I soon, I'd say it's not very likely. A decline in enrollment is more likely. The attitude of the voters of the GISD is that they are overtaxed and also (mainly coming from those who have moved here from elsewhere to retire and have no loyalty to the school) that too much has already been spent on football.

The school is still a pretty good one, as East Texas public schools go. I am biased, of course. But U.S. News & World Report gave it a pretty high ranking for Texas high schools in 2012. I'm sure Argyle's ranking was way higher, and deservedly so.

regaleagle
02-28-2014, 01:58 PM
So you don't see a new retirement haven like Sun City being built around Gilmer for all those "old folks" in the area to help the city planners of Gilmer reap the benefits of a new expanded tax base??? Where's the Texas Country Reporter when you need him....you know who I mean....ol' Bob Whatshisname. Phillips....that's it....Bob Phillips to the rescue, haha.

Aesculus gilmus
02-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Funny you should mention Bob Phillips.

http://youtu.be/vGjXn13yE4Q

regaleagle
02-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Shucks, I bet ol' Stump Godfrey, or maybe even Luke Turner(when he graduates from Rice) would be willing to carry on the tradition. Might even take it to a franchise operation all over the Southwest. Heck, there's no telling what could happen to Docs Hot Links, given the right set of circumstances. Maybe Ross Perot should come on over to Gilmer and try one. Next thing ya know, he'd be building a whole new tax-base for you Gilmerites. It must be "who" ya know, not "what" ya know, lol.

Aesculus gilmus
02-28-2014, 02:39 PM
I'll bet Stump has eaten there before. Not sure about Luke. Obviously, it's not a good idea for athletes in training to OD on that stuff.

I've only eaten there a couple of times in my life. It's probably one reason I haven't had a heart attack yet. ;)

It's quite tasty, though. I understand why people like it.

As for the tax base, I am closely watching a rig engaged in horizontal drilling right now in the Cotton Valley Formation about two miles east of that stretch of highway (U.S. 271) you just saw.

regaleagle
02-28-2014, 02:48 PM
So it's not Bob Phillips or Ross Perot, or Stump or Luke that will save Gilmer, huh? It's gonna be them fracking crews and good ol' Chesapeak Drilling an' such that will turn all you Gimerites into instant Millionaires. Then you'll be calling us Argyllians just a bunch of dirt farmers that don't know how to play football, or even set at the table properly, lol.

Aesculus gilmus
02-28-2014, 03:00 PM
When you win three out of four over the Buckeyes, I can guarantee you no one here who is not utterly insane is going to accuse Argyle of not knowing how to play football!

Of course, we do have a higher percentage of our population in the "utterly insane" category than is typical, I've always thought.

Piece of Gilmer trivia: Many people born here in the first half of the 20th century were actually born in a sanitarium - the hospital was called the Oaklawn Sanitarium.

regaleagle
02-28-2014, 03:10 PM
So that at least helps explain why you Buckeyes are so nuts over your football program, haha.

buckeyebob
02-28-2014, 05:59 PM
So it's not Bob Phillips or Ross Perot, or Stump or Luke that will save Gilmer, huh? It's gonna be them fracking crews and good ol' Chesapeak Drilling an' such that will turn all you Gimerites into instant Millionaires. Then you'll be calling us Argyllians just a bunch of dirt farmers that don't know how to play football, or even set at the table properly, lol.

Mail box money is sweet.

bobcat1
02-28-2014, 06:56 PM
I bet I stop there next time I'm through Gilmer. That looked like good eats to me!

buckeyebob
03-01-2014, 09:05 AM
I bet I stop there next time I'm through Gilmer. That looked like good eats to me!

Not for the faint of stomach...great fare...depending on your direction...Doc's Hot Links in Gilmer & Pittsburg Hot Links in Pittsburg...do 'em both...great purge

bobcat1
03-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Not for the faint of stomach...great fare...depending on your direction...Doc's Hot Links in Gilmer & Pittsburg Hot Links in Pittsburg...do 'em both...great purge
Sounds perfect! Purge and all!

Celina8
03-02-2014, 08:25 AM
From watching the video it looks like they need someone to train and take over Docs Hot Links....you know I might have found my second career as the Dallas rat race is not as fun as it used to be. Especially driving everyday on that damn Tollway! Trust me Gilmer Folks, I would not change a thing, and Gilmer Football would be required conversation at the counter!!!!

buckeyebob
03-02-2014, 12:11 PM
From watching the video it looks like they need someone to train and take over Docs Hot Links....you know I might have found my second career as the Dallas rat race is not as fun as it used to be. Especially driving everyday on that damn Tollway! Trust me Gilmer Folks, I would not change a thing, and Gilmer Football would be required conversation at the counter!!!!

Warning! I have been stopped for a complete rotation of the Red Light @ Hwy 271 before...it ain't like it used to be with the traffic...Oh, & waiting to turn into the Whataburger parking lot...Yep, we have a Whataburger...eat your heart out Gladewater & Pittsburg...ignorant throw back sunguns

bobcat1
03-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Warning! I have been stopped for a complete rotation of the Red Light @ Hwy 271 before...it ain't like it used to be with the traffic...Oh, & waiting to turn into the Whataburger parking lot...Yep, we have a Whataburger...eat your heart out Gladewater & Pittsburg...ignorant throw back sunguns

Do you mean slack jaw knuckle draggin mouth breathers?:D

Nunnes
03-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Some growth projections have Argyle's enrollment reaching the new 6A enrollment figures in ~10 years.

regaleagle
03-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Some growth projections have Argyle's enrollment reaching the new 6A enrollment figures in ~10 years.

Heck, I try to take things on a yearly or 6 mo. basis nowadays....the way things are going in this world today. In 10 yrs, Texas could be a republic again. I'm just glad my son is now done with college and helping me in the business. The thing to do in this day and time is to work those short term plans and then get them done. If you really wanna go do something, don't put it off....try to make time for it. Times...they are a'changing....quickly. Heck, there may not even be a such thing as high school football in 10 yrs. Have you ever thought of that possiblity???

Aesculus gilmus
03-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Heck, I try to take things on a yearly or 6 mo. basis nowadays....the way things are going in this world today. In 10 yrs, Texas could be a republic again. I'm just glad my son is now done with college and helping me in the business. The thing to do in this day and time is to work those short term plans and then get them done. If you really wanna go do something, don't put it off....try to make time for it. Times...they are a'changing....quickly. Heck, there may not even be a such thing as high school football in 10 yrs. Have you ever thought of that possiblity???

I think there will still be high school football, but it may all be under the auspices of TAPPS by then. State Sen. Dan Patrick of Houston, the biggest enemy of the public schools in Texas, is on the verge of being elected Lieutenant Governor, which is the most powerful office in our state government.

Celina8
03-05-2014, 10:55 AM
I think there will still be high school football, but it may all be under the auspices of TAPPS by then. State Sen. Dan Patrick of Houston, the biggest enemy of the public schools in Texas, is on the verge of being elected Lieutenant Governor, which is the most powerful office in our state government.

I will be honest and say I fear this too. I have several friends with Children in Private Schools from Dallas EDS, Prestonwood, and others who are all big supporters of Patrick for the very reason that he will bust open the door as one put it to letting Private Schools compete for all UIL Events. I just don't think it can be regulated enough as they will still be able to recruit the best players for each sport and event and just like schools up North, it will only be Private schools competing for Championships.

Aesculus gilmus
03-05-2014, 11:59 AM
I will be honest and say I fear this too. I have several friends with Children in Private Schools from Dallas EDS, Prestonwood, and others who are all big supporters of Patrick for the very reason that he will bust open the door as one put it to letting Private Schools compete for all UIL Events. I just don't think it can be regulated enough as they will still be able to recruit the best players for each sport and event and just like schools up North, it will only be Private schools competing for Championships.

I think they'll just add another "P" to it. It'll be the TAPPPS, Texas Association of Private, Parochial and Public Schools.

Should present political trends continue, much of the current infrastructure of the Texas public school system will be sold off. The students of the inner-city and rural districts who either can't afford or don't vote to maintain their physical infrastructure will be going to school in "online academies" if they can't find private investors to take over their schools and operate them.

I can easily foresee a time in the not-too-distant future a day when there is no Gilmer ISD, given the anti-infrastructural-maintenance stance ("Taxed Enough Already" as their signs always proclaim) of the district's voters.

Ironically, most of the athletic facilities (particularly the football-related ones) have been upgraded and are good-to-go for another half-century or so. I'm pretty sure some investors will swoop in to claim Buckeye Stadium for whatever private academy takes the place of Gilmer High School in the future.