PDA

View Full Version : Former Brownwood Coach Bob Shipley leaving UT?

hsfootballfan
02-27-2014, 03:05 PM
BELTON, TX – Belton ISD Superintendent Susan Kincannon announced today that she will recommend Bob Shipley as the district’s next athletic director and head football coach. He is currently a football analyst in the player personnel department at the University of Texas-Austin, and prior to that, Shipley led his teams to a 125-42 record in fourteen seasons as a high school head football coach.

“Bob Shipley knows what it takes to build a winning program,” Kincannon said. “The depth of his experience and his record of successfully developing players make Bob the right person to lead our football team - and all of our athletic programs – forward. I’m excited to recommend him to the board.”

Commenting on the announcement, Shipley said, “I'm excited and grateful that Dr. Kincannon is recommending me to be Belton ISD’s next athletic director and head football coach, and I look forward to the board meeting on Monday. There are so many great things going on in Belton right now. I can't wait to meet the kids and hit the ground running!”

Before joining the support staff for the Longhorns, Shipley was the head football coach at Brownwood High School for four seasons leading the team to the playoffs four times and a 39-14 record overall. He was 15-7 in two seasons as the head coach at Coppell High School. In six seasons at Burnet High School, Shipley coached the Bulldogs to a 54-19 record and twice finished as the runner-up in the 3A state playoffs. In his first head coaching assignment, Shipley posted an 18-6 record over two seasons at Rotan High School.

In addition to his coaching duties, Shipley served as the athletic director in Brownwood, Burnet and Rotan and as the boys athletic coordinator in Coppell. He has also been the principal of Hawley High School and a middle school assistant principal in Temple and Abilene.

Shipley received a bachelor’s degree in education and a master’s degree in school administration from Abilene Christian University where he also played fullback. During his senior year, Shipley was a football team captain and all-conference selection as well as an All-American shot putter.

Shipley and his wife, Sharon, have four children: Jordan, a former UT All-American and NFL wide receiver; Jaxon Shipley, a current UT wide receiver; Shelby and Addie Jane.

A special meeting of the Belton ISD Board of Trustees to consider Kincannon’s recommendation will be called for 5 p.m. Monday at the Belton High School Athletic Multi-Sport Facility. A reception for student athletes, parents and community members to meet Shipley will follow the meeting.

toddg
02-27-2014, 03:41 PM
he doesnt like to stay anywhere very long...does he!

lostaussie
02-27-2014, 03:54 PM
he doesnt like to stay anywhere very long...does he!Almost long enough to win State Championships............Almost

orange machine
02-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Good coach and good record but I don't like his jumping around from place to place!

BwdLion73
02-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Good coach and good record but I don't like his jumping around from place to place!

Which brings me to wonder...and I know there are coaches and people on here that know 100 times more than I do about this:

Does it seem that some watch and see which school has some great talent coming up and use that as their reason for going to that school? I know their is alot more that goes into a decision than that alone, however no matter how humble if a coach does not have an ego something is wrong...
I'm not bashing a coach's choice because it is his/her career and success brings you what we would all want in a job/career.

I wish him good luck and am happy for the time he was here and the great mentor he was for the kids in Brownwood. We are (in my opinion) just a year or two away from having another top 10 team.

I guess I was just spoiled by going from beginning with Coach Wood as a 1st grader to Graduating with him as our Coach and still having him for more than a decade after that. Dad's who played whose Kids played ect. I miss that.

greendawg84
02-28-2014, 10:33 AM
The Ship has sailed yet again ! :wave:

Trashman
02-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Times have changed, Coaches have to move now because parents and fans won't tolerate losing for very long. A coach who has a couple of classes coming up that lack talent, won't hang around to be fired.

caleb_mccaig
02-28-2014, 11:15 AM

If I got the big pay day with every new job offer I'd move 20 times a year.

Rabid Cougar
02-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Not going to have very much to work with at Belton.

cr180t
03-01-2014, 10:16 AM
He is one of the best around. Great motivator

LionFan72
03-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Don't know the whole story, but speculation leads me to believe a new head coach at UT caused Bob to start looking! He is a great coach, a better man, and a great motivator. Moving around???? Really???? Don't we all wish we had the capabilities to move around and be successful in our ventures???