PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater's" Wes Bishop Wood Bat Classic" Schedule

Phantom Stang
02-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Wes Bishop Wood Bat Classic Schedule
February 27, 2014
sweetwatersports1@yahoo.com

Here is the schedule for the Wes Bishop Wood Bat Classic baseball tournament being held at Sportsman Park through Saturday, March 1.
Due to a mixup, the wrong tournament schedule was printed in today's Reporter sports section and we regret the error.
Sweetwater's first game will be played at 6:30 p.m. today against Pampa. The tournament was renamed this year to honor Wes Bishop, the former longtime director of physical therapy at Rolling Plains Memorial Hospital and an avid supporter of youth sports in Sweetwater, who died this past October.
THURSDAY, FEB. 27
11 a.m. — Wall vs. San Angelo Lake View
1:30 p.m. – Wall vs. Ballinger
4 p.m. — Ballinger vs. Clyde
6:30 p.m. — Sweetwater vs. Pampa
FRIDAY, FEB. 28
11 a.m. — Clyde vs. Pampa
1:30 p.m. — San Angelo Lake View vs. Clyde
4 p.m. — Pampa vs. Ballinger
6:30 p.m. — Sweetwater vs. San Angelo Lake View
SATURDAY, MARCH 1
10 a.m. — Pampa vs. San Angelo Lake View
12:30 p.m. — Sweetwater vs. Clyde
3 p.m. — Sweetwater vs. Ballinger

Sweetwater Red
02-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Sweetwater 4
Pampa 0

Sweetwater's James Clift with the complete game no hitter.

regaleagle
02-28-2014, 12:34 AM
I think all at-bats should be with a wooden bat in this tourney, jmo. At least that would make it more challenging and fun for today's players. I hit .620 my senior year in high school with a wooden bat, and over .400 as a junior. And using aluminum in college is just a total travestry to the game. It's bad enough in high school, but they want to save on the budget, hahaha(give me a break). The intention is to build more interest and excitement offensively....that's all. And you have high-schoolers like Austin Aune going to the pros having never used wooden bats as a barometer. Same from college draftees....what a farce.

Sweetwater Red
02-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Wall 10
SA Lakeview 3

Wall 13
Ballinger 2

Clyde 11
Ballinger 10

Sweetwater Red
02-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Sweetwater 8
San Angelo Lakeview 2

cr180t
03-01-2014, 10:14 AM
What a great name for a classic. Wes was a good friend. One of the nicest around.

wildstangs
03-01-2014, 11:08 AM
What a great name for a classic. Wes was a good friend. One of the nicest around.

Agreed, great guy, did a lot for the Sweetwater community. Youngest son was a great pitcher for SHS. I can't remember, has Sweetwater made the baseball playoffs since the youngest Bishop was playing? Seems like Herrera has improved the program each year, but can't remember if they have seen the post season recently.

cr180t
03-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Not sure about play offs. Herrera does a very good job. If they have not they will very soon. Youngest was also a very good QB. Natural leader. Not saying the oldest was not just had more contact with the younger son.

Sweetwater Red
03-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Sweetwater advanced to the third round in 2013 and lost two one run games to perennial baseball power Andrews.

Sweetwater Red
03-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Sweetwater 11
Clyde 0

5 innings

Sweetwater Red
03-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Sweetwater 5
Ballinger 1

Phantom Stang
03-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Mustangs 4-0 at WBC
March 3, 2014
By
Ron Howell
sweetwatersports1@yahoo.com

Although Sweetwater was the host team for the Wes Bishop Wood Bat Classic at Sportsman’s Park, the Mus-tangs weren’t very generous to their opponents.
After opening their three-day event with a 4-0 win over Pampa on Thursday, Sweetwater (7-3) picked up three more wins over the weekend with a reliable combination of great pitching, timely hits and solid defense to finish with a 4-0 Classic record on Saturday.
Though they were unable to match the no-hitter that staff ace James Clift threw at Pampa in the opener, the other three starting pitchers — Hayden Reeves, Stephen May and J.P. Poe — all threw quite effectively during their time on the mound.
Reeves, the only one not in last year’s rotation, had a complete game one-hitter for the second straight game and struck out seven over seven innings in the team’s 8-2 win over San Angelo Lake View on Friday. May followed that in Saturday’s opening game against Clyde with a second straight com-plete game of his own. May allowed just three hits and struck out five batters, while also getting plenty of offensive support in an 11-0 win in five innings.
Poe pitched the first six innings in Saturday’s finale, and struck out 11 Ballinger hitters in a contest that Sweetwater won 5-1, while giving up just two hits. Scott Warner pitched a scoreless seventh for the Mustangs, who allowed just three runs in four tournament games while scoring 28. However, Sweetwater’s hitters were mostly silent vs. San Angelo Lake View until an eight-run sixth inning that wiped out what had been a 2-0 Chiefs’ advantage.
Isaiah McGee led off the sixth with a single, and doubles by Poe and Dylan Bennett tied it at 2. Kaleb Hoover’s single then scored Bennett and May for a 4-2 lead and James Clift also had a two-RBI single that made it 6-2. Poe and Bennett had RBI singles to complete the uprising.
Sweetwater scored nine runs in the first vs. Clyde with Reeves and Tyler Beasley getting RBI singles and May delivering a two-RBI double to complete the outburst. Scott Warner had a two-RBI single in the fourth. Against Ballinger, it was tied 1-1 until the fifth when Quentin Wetsel hit an RBI single and McGee had a two-run triple.

http://sweetwaterreporter.com/content/mustangs-4-0-wbc

jockcity33
03-03-2014, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=regaleagle;1805939]I think all at-bats should be with a wooden bat in this tourney, jmo. At least that would make it more challenging and fun for today's players. I hit .620 my senior year in high school with a wooden bat, and over .400 as a junior. And using aluminum in college is just a total travestry to the game. It's bad enough in high school, but they want to save on the budget, hahaha(give me a break). The intention is to build more interest and excitement offensively....that's all. And you have high-schoolers like Austin Aune going to the pros having never used wooden bats as a barometer. Same from college draftees....what a farce.[/QUOT

I am pretty sure that all at-bats in this tournament are with wood bats, hence the name " Wes Bishop Wood Bat Classic".