PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite obscure musicians....

Cam
02-26-2014, 05:35 PM
that we should know about: (old or new)

I've got a few.....Graham Wilkerson, Dan Bern, Willie Nile, John Arthur Martinez, Lloyd Cole, to name a few....

panfan
02-27-2014, 08:45 AM
For the most part these are obscure bands:

Freddy Jones Band, Raul Malo both with the Mavericks and as a solo artist, Oldy but goody - Crack the Sky, Vallejo (Austin area band), Leftover salmon

BB BULLS
02-27-2014, 09:16 AM
not a favorite but did go see them in concert a long time ago Atom Ant

Cam
02-27-2014, 01:52 PM
For the most part these are obscure bands:

Freddy Jones Band, Raul Malo both with the Mavericks and as a solo artist, Oldy but goody - Crack the Sky, Vallejo (Austin area band), Leftover salmon

As you may or may not know panfan, I'm a big music collector. I hit up all the Half Price Book stores in Austin looking for music in both CD's and LP's. I don't like MP3 downloading. I like to hold it in my hand if you know what I mean.....anyways, I saw a Freddy Jones CD for $1 but didn't know what type of music they played. Fill me in. I may go back and snatch it if it's still there.
What does Raul Malo play? . I like Vallejo. Have several of their CD's.

panfan
02-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Freddy Jones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssd7rwKrTVw

Raul Malo
hit up google - lots of info there for him and his time with the mavericks.

Ever heard of Captain beyond? Look em up. Only one song I liked from them - dancing madly backwards!

I converted all my Cds to mp3 and will eventually get around to that for all my albums. If I cant' take it with me on the plane, its hard to listen to

defense51
02-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Joey Green, Ryan McBride, and Scott Copeland

Cam
02-27-2014, 11:59 PM
Freddy Jones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssd7rwKrTVw

Raul Malo
hit up google - lots of info there for him and his time with the mavericks.

Ever heard of Captain beyond? Look em up. Only one song I liked from them - dancing madly backwards!

I converted all my Cds to mp3 and will eventually get around to that for all my albums. If I cant' take it with me on the plane, its hard to listen to

I heard some Freddy Jones....good stuff! I'm going to Half Price tomorrow to see if the CD of them is still there....It's tough cause I gotta compete with some fellas who go to Half Price and fill a basket with those $1 CD's....I've seen guys just grab em' without looking at the titles.....I'm guessin' they're reselling them somewhere....I don't know.....

panfan
02-28-2014, 09:15 AM
I heard some Freddy Jones....good stuff! I'm going to Half Price tomorrow to see if the CD of them is still there....It's tough cause I gotta compete with some fellas who go to Half Price and fill a basket with those $1 CD's....I've seen guys just grab em' without looking at the titles.....I'm guessin' they're reselling them somewhere....I don't know.....

Man join the 21st century and go digital. Its nice to have the stuff in the your hands like a Cd or vinyl, but for pure easy and listening, an IPOD is the way to go. I have a 64 gb ipod that holds a butt load of music that I take when I travel or just want some tunage.

I bet you use a digital camera right?? Anyway, glad you enjoyed Freddy Jones =- pretty good band - some them for Free in Denver when they opened up what I think was the Pepsi Center.

Cam
02-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Man join the 21st century and go digital. Its nice to have the stuff in the your hands like a Cd or vinyl, but for pure easy and listening, an IPOD is the way to go. I have a 64 gb ipod that holds a butt load of music that I take when I travel or just want some tunage.

I bet you use a digital camera right?? Anyway, glad you enjoyed Freddy Jones =- pretty good band - some them for Free in Denver when they opened up what I think was the Pepsi Center.

I do have an Ipod..just don't use it much.....probably will soon...my wife hates how my CD's accumulate in the car!!......I consider myself a collector...sometimes buy an old LP or CD and don't even play it!....it's like a bad drug habit....just can't quit buying music.....One thing for sure, my kids will be fighting for possession of my massive collection someday! LOL....

panfan
02-28-2014, 10:11 AM
I do have an Ipod..just don't use it much.....probably will soon...my wife hates how my CD's accumulate in the car!!......I consider myself a collector...sometimes buy an old LP or CD and don't even play it!....it's like a bad drug habit....just can't quit buying music.....One thing for sure, my kids will be fighting for possession of my massive collection someday! LOL....

I used to do that... Then I realized I was accumulating to accumulate. Be careful or before too long, we'll be watchin the Hoarders episode with CAM.

Kids: He just wouldn't stop - we have CDs piled everywhere. We had to intervene.
Therapist: Now CAM, we have to make some decisions about what you are willing to give up...how about this one?
CAM: They are all special, look ... this one I picked up at a garage sale for a nickel, I don't who this is but geez it was a nickel.

LOL!

Cam
02-28-2014, 10:41 AM
I used to do that... Then I realized I was accumulating to accumulate. Be careful or before too long, we'll be watchin the Hoarders episode with CAM.

Kids: He just wouldn't stop - we have CDs piled everywhere. We had to intervene.
Therapist: Now CAM, we have to make some decisions about what you are willing to give up...how about this one?
CAM: They are all special, look ... this one I picked up at a garage sale for a nickel, I don't who this is but geez it was a nickel.

LOL!

:spitlol:

Cam
02-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Joey Green, Ryan McBride, and Scott Copeland

Joey Green is :2thumbsup

Tejastrue
03-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Blind Melon Chitlin... :wave:

LH Panther Mom
03-04-2014, 06:30 AM
The Maines Brothers Band
The Planets

I guess you'd consider both of them "old". I've got The Planets LP, that was free from being at Fat Dawgs in Lubbock the night it was recorded, in my iPod. And I found out just now when doing a search that I CAN order MBB LP's, so I'll do that and convert.

Small world story: The parents of one of the girls on my team at work are both musicians. Her Dad's still in Lubbock and knows all the MBB guys AND The Planets folks. Even smaller world: Her Dad's best friend is Cary Banks, who plays guitar for MBB. Cary was also my brothers' guitar teacher when brother was in 4th & 5th grade!

panfan
03-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Left over salmon - bluegrass. I heard them on one of those season ending shows for deadliest catch, they were kind of being portrayed as the house band at some bar in Breckenridge. Looked em up and listened to some songs on Pandora. Pretty dang good. Similar to cross Canadian rag weed.

Anyone remember the outlaws - green grass and high tides for ever?

Farmersfan
03-05-2014, 10:05 AM
It stands to reason that a few diamonds would fall through the cracks but there is a reason a band is "OBSCURE"! Sorry, just my smart ass side! Carry on!

Cam
03-05-2014, 10:31 AM
It stands to reason that a few diamonds would fall through the cracks but there is a reason a band is "OBSCURE"! Sorry, just my smart ass side! Carry on!

Oh but how wrong you are FF...some of the best music out there comes from little known artists...some will in time get noticed and some will only achieve a local following...Most of today's big names in music didn't even earn it IMO..the music industry leaders will dictate what you're gonna hear on the radio...If you're a top 40 kinda guy, you're missing some good stuff....and this applies to all music genres....For example: If I'm gonna listen to country music (or what they call country music these days), I'd rather listen to little known artists like Brian Pounds or John Arthur Martinez...them two boys have more talent than some of them cats you'll see on the CMT Awards every single freakin' year!........But I'm more of a rock & roll kinda guy anyways...Shoot! My co-worker is also the bass player of a little ol' rock band from Bandera, Fifty Dollar Dynasty..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEPDP0r-Tew
....these boys have a big following in San Antonio and are way better than many of today's mainstream acts...Will they ever hit the big time? IDK...That's pretty tough to do...Anyways, you just keep on listenin' to that AM radio of yours!.....and yes, you are a smart ass!..that's probably the only reason I like readin' your posts!....:D

Farmersfan
03-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Oh but how wrong you are FF...some of the best music out there comes from little known artists...some will in time get noticed and some will only achieve a local following...Most of today's big names in music didn't even earn it IMO..the music industry leaders will dictate what you're gonna hear on the radio...If you're a top 40 kinda guy, you're missing some good stuff....and this applies to all music genres....For example: If I'm gonna listen to country music (or what they call country music these days), I'd rather listen to little known artists like Brian Pounds or John Arthur Martinez...them two boys have more talent than some of them cats you'll see on the CMT Awards every single freakin' year!........But I'm more of a rock & roll kinda guy anyways...Shoot! My co-worker is also the bass player of a little ol' rock band from Bandera, Fifty Dollar Dynasty..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEPDP0r-Tew
....these boys have a big following in San Antonio and are way better than many of today's mainstream acts...Will they ever hit the big time? IDK...That's pretty tough to do...Anyways, you just keep on listenin' to that AM radio of yours!.....and yes, you are a smart ass!..that's probably the only reason I like readin' your posts!....:D

Good stuff Cam. but really only a valid point if you consider your taste better than the rest of the world. And I listen to all kinds of music. I have a lot of favorites and some are fairly obscure. But the point is still real that if these groups were as good or better than others than there are MILLIONS of dollars to be made on their music. Music companies and radio stations choose to play music or promote music that will put money in their pockets. Money comes from selling the music.................... there are 100s and 100s of very popular groups in existence that started in small towns with "HUGE" followings.. the world is full of platinum artists that started in their garages. It was the quality of their music and how marketable it was that made them big. I agree that there are a lot of good musicians that never made it big. But to say they are BETTER than the ones that did is a little ridiculous. Besides, isn't this exactly like saying you know a lot of guys who are better football players than those guys playing in the NFL?
This reminds me of some of my other friends who only listen to 60s and 70s rock and swear that nothing made today is quality music. I tell them to move out of their narrow minded view of music and expand their experiences and they will discover a world of good music. One of those friends laughed at the antics of Marilyn Manson and denied his talent while claiming to be a huge Alice Cooper fan....... :speech:

Cam
03-05-2014, 12:56 PM

...gosh dangit I hate arguing with a genius!....And let's face it FF, you are one of the Downlow Einsteins!....So on this post you say, "there is a reason a band is "OBSCURE"".(with BIG CAPITAL LETTERS!)....this makes it sound like obscure bands don't cut the mustard...yet, on your last post you mention you have your "favorites" and some are "fairly obscure".....:vrycnfsd:.....which is it man?.....This thread was about listing your favorite "obscure" (definition: not discovered or known about; uncertain) bands that folks like, I'd like to hear what some of yours are sometime. And stop confusin' me...I ain't that edumacated!...

LH Panther Mom
03-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Ever hear of Joe Ely? Or Asleep at the Wheel? How about The Dixie Chicks? (Lloyd Maines of The Maines Brothers Band played steel guitar & some vocals for Joe Ely & AatW...and is the father of Natalie Maines of TDC.)

My obscure bands are that because they're no longer regularly playing together. Oh, and because I'm old. :p

Cam
03-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Ever hear of Joe Ely? Or Asleep at the Wheel? How about The Dixie Chicks? (Lloyd Maines of The Maines Brothers Band played steel guitar & some vocals for Joe Ely & AatW...and is the father of Natalie Maines of TDC.)

My obscure bands are that because they're no longer regularly playing together. Oh, and because I'm old. :p

Ah yes...good ol Joe Ely!...He's still out there. And that reminded me of a couple of more guys I really like......John Hiatt and Steve Forbert....those two fellas are fine singer songwriters....
I took about a 10 year hiatus from music for some strange reason...probably Greendawgs fault!....Didn't listen to much during the 90's.....Now I'm trying to "re-discover" the music from that time frame.....I recently came upon the Crash Test Dummies....man I love that band...I've never heard a singer who sings so low....but he makes it work and it gets catchy....Now I find myself driving along trying to sing like him. I believe his name is Greg Roberts....Their song "Mmm Mmm Mmm" came out in Dumb & Dumber but I had no idea that was the Crash Test Dummies....that is a really cool band.....keep on listening!!

Farmersfan
03-06-2014, 04:52 PM

I used to go and dance to the Maines Brothers all the time in Lubbock and surrounding areas in the late 70's. I loved them. Very talented family that produced Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks. I also use to date the niece of Sonny Curtis who at one time played with Buddy Holly. I think in 1981 I went to Graham Central Station in Odessa Texas to listen to a up and coming band who at the time was pretty "Obscure". It turned out to be a group called Huey Lewis and the news and they sang their most popular song at that time "Working for a living".

Farmersfan
03-06-2014, 04:58 PM
...gosh dangit I hate arguing with a genius!....And let's face it FF, you are one of the Downlow Einsteins!....So on this post you say, "there is a reason a band is "OBSCURE"".(with BIG CAPITAL LETTERS!)....this makes it sound like obscure bands don't cut the mustard...yet, on your last post you mention you have your "favorites" and some are "fairly obscure".....:vrycnfsd:.....which is it man?.....This thread was about listing your favorite "obscure" (definition: not discovered or known about; uncertain) bands that folks like, I'd like to hear what some of yours are sometime. And stop confusin' me...I ain't that edumacated!...

Don't be so sensitive! Next time private message me and then you can be right for a change. Lord knows it's probably someone else's turn! ................... :wave:

Cam
03-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Don't be so sensitive! Next time private message me and then you can be right for a change. Lord knows it's probably someone else's turn! ................... :wave:

:spitlol:.....I can't help it FF....I'm just a sensitive soul....shoot, if the weather gets below 60 degrees, my knuckles start crackin' and bleedin'!!...and if the weather gets over 97 degrees, I get itchy nut..but only the left one!....:vrycnfsd:

Cam
03-06-2014, 05:50 PM
OK, I'm off to my boys track meet....Lampasas here I come!!!

LH Panther Mom
03-07-2014, 05:17 AM
I used to go and dance to the Maines Brothers all the time in Lubbock and surrounding areas in the late 70's. I loved them. Very talented family that produced Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks. I also use to date the niece of Sonny Curtis who at one time played with Buddy Holly. I think in 1981 I went to Graham Central Station in Odessa Texas to listen to a up and coming band who at the time was pretty "Obscure". It turned out to be a group called Huey Lewis and the news and they sang their most popular song at that time "Working for a living".
Cool beans! Hmmm...I gonna go out on a limb and guess we might've run into each other at Coldwater. :thinking:

Emerson1
03-07-2014, 09:38 AM
This sums up the top 40/mainstream music argument from above.

NSFW. Bad language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCVGpvzcHko

panfan
03-07-2014, 09:50 AM
And your point is? And your point is? LOL

panfan
03-07-2014, 09:52 AM
:spitlol:.....I can't help it FF....I'm just a sensitive soul....shoot, if the weather gets below 60 degrees, my knuckles start crackin' and bleedin'!!...and if the weather gets over 97 degrees, I get itchy nut..but only the left one!....:vrycnfsd:

Quit yur whining.

panfan
03-07-2014, 09:55 AM

Joe Ely - very good. And while have listened to Ray Bensen for years, just downloaded a best of Asleep and the Wheel album the other day to add to my ipod.

Flaco Jimenez - tex mex Accordian player who has been on several big name hits
Augie Meyers?

My dads two personal favorites - we listened to them over and over on 8tracks. Not obscure, just don't hear them much any more
Johnny Rodriguez and Marty Robins

Cam
03-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Quit yur whining.

:D:taunt:.....the only whining going on was last night from LH folks in the stands after my boys 4x4 relay team created about 60 yards of space in between them at the finish line!....hehehe.....

but fyi, my boy has sure made a bunch of friends from LH this track season. Them boys are cuttin' up all day long during the meet. Good to see that. LH is good kids... ...I think the only one that dislikes purple is me!...

but back to this thread, Cowboy Junkies is another cool band to listen to.......

Cam
03-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Mike Rayburn! Love this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0laDUXXsSs

funny stuff!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f18BldWmVe8

defense51
03-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Joe Ely - very good. And while have listened to Ray Bensen for years, just downloaded a best of Asleep and the Wheel album the other day to add to my ipod.

Flaco Jimenez - tex mex Accordian player who has been on several big name hits
Augie Meyers?

My dads two personal favorites - we listened to them over and over on 8tracks. Not obscure, just don't hear them much any more
Johnny Rodriguez and Marty Robins

8 tracks... I still wonder why they didn't stay around longer! My mom used to love Johnny Rodriguez, by the way what was the deal with him and the stolen goat? Was that a true story?

Cam
03-18-2014, 09:29 AM
8 tracks... I still wonder why they didn't stay around longer! My mom used to love Johnny Rodriguez, by the way what was the deal with him and the stolen goat? Was that a true story?

Good ol' Johnny Rodriguez! When living in Mesquite, I got a call from a neighbor friend of mine. Noe asked me if I had a guitar he could borrow for the afternoon. I said sure. So his son came over to get it. And why did he want to borrow it? Cause Johnny was at his home and wanted to play a few tunes for them. Apparently, he was a friend of the family and was there visiting. The only thing I forgot to ask was to have Johnny sign my 1979 Ovation guitar! Dang!......As for the goat story, he was just in the mood for some barbecue!....

Cam
03-31-2014, 03:00 PM
Low Stars! - "Sometimes It Rains"

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150884076041947

Scoop27
04-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Don Rich who played lead guitar for Buck Owens and The Buckaroos-He had a instrumental No. 1 country hit with Buckaroo

Cam
04-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Don Rich who played lead guitar for Buck Owens and The Buckaroos-He had a instrumental No. 1 country hit with Buckaroo

and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA2N7XbaG4I

an obvious song about casual sex or something....way ahead of its time......hard to believe that guy died so long ago.....