PDA

View Full Version : State Girls Tournament

Scoop27
02-26-2014, 05:03 AM
https://www.uiltexas.org/basketball/state-girls

mwrams
02-26-2014, 07:04 AM
https://www.uiltexas.org/basketball/state-girls

Interesting....3 schools within 25 miles of Mineral Wells are playing in Austin this year...Santo, Brock, Lipan. Funny how there are players on 2 of these teams that actually live in Mineral Wells...as did 2 girls that were on last years State Champ Brock Lady Eagles...

regaleagle
02-26-2014, 10:11 AM
I noticed that Navarro has played 40 games this season....the most of any team in any classification in the finals.

regaleagle
02-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Argyle has 15 girls on the team, and only one senior. Abilene Wylie has only 2 seniors, and suits 13. Waco LaVega and Abilene Wylie both have 6'4" centers(gulp).

YTBulldogs
02-26-2014, 10:29 AM
And Navarro will push ya for 32 minutes non-stop.

regaleagle
02-26-2014, 10:33 AM
And Navarro will run ya for 32 minutes non-stop.

It will be interesting to see if Argyle plays a slow pace against them on purpose. I'ma bettin' that's what they'll do.

regaleagle
02-26-2014, 10:36 AM
I reckon I'll drive on up from SA to see that Argyle-Navarro game. What about tickets at the door.....will that be a problem???

YTBulldogs
02-26-2014, 10:36 AM
It will be interesting to see if Argyle plays a slow pace against them on purpose. I'ma bettin' that's what they'll do.

Argyle might slow it down when they have it. Navarro will not. We thought we was in shape, and could push it ourselves, when they beat us in round two, 46-44.

Bosqueville
02-26-2014, 10:38 AM
I've seen La Vega twice and they are on another level... Like a Baylor Lady Bear JV Squad!

Rabid Cougar
02-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Argyle has 15 girls on the team, and only one senior. Abilene Wylie has only 2 seniors, and suits 13. Waco LaVega and Abilene Wylie both have 6'4" centers(gulp).

I am sorry. I didn't know Waco had a High School named LaVega. Bellmead does.........

coach
02-26-2014, 02:02 PM
They should just cancel the 3a tournament and just give it to La Vega

coach
02-26-2014, 02:02 PM
I am sorry. I didn't know Waco had a High School named LaVega. Bellmead does.........

Oh Shut up. When I get into Belmead I say I am in Waco.

Bleed orange
02-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Oh Shut up. When I get into Belmead I say I am in Waco.
Is that before or after you lock your car doors??

44INAROW
02-26-2014, 04:48 PM

Since this is obviously one of your pet peeves, why don't you contact the powers that be at UIL and tell them. It would be a start - then go to Dallas Morning News and go from there..

ccmom
02-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Since this is obviously one of your pet peeves, why don't you contact the powers that be at UIL and tell them. It would be a start - then go to Dallas Morning News and go from there..

Haha Lorey.....made me chuckle ;)

coach
02-27-2014, 02:10 PM
anybody have any scores?

ccmom
02-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Argyle vs Navarro scheduled at 1:30....you can watch at http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest

coach
02-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Argyle vs Navarro scheduled at 1:30....you can watch at http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest

I think I might hok my computer up to the projector and let my pe warriors watch it

coach
02-27-2014, 02:14 PM

I thought Celina was playing Navarro? weird...

ccmom
02-27-2014, 02:19 PM
I thought Celina was playing Navarro? weird...

:tisk:
;)

ccmom
02-27-2014, 03:07 PM
Argyle 36
Navarro 20

half

ccmom
02-27-2014, 03:35 PM
End of 3rd
Argyle 47
Navarro 29

ccmom
02-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Final
Argyle 64
Navarro 37

Wylie vs LaVega coming up next

regaleagle
02-27-2014, 04:09 PM
I watched it on the computer on FoxSportsSouthwest. Just click local or regional. The Argyle girls played a very clean, smart game of basketball against the Lady Panthers from Navarro. I think Navarro needed to attempt more outside and 3 pointers to narrow the gap, but were just unable to get the open looks they are accustomed to. Argyle has only lost one game all year to state-ranked Round Rock Cedar Ridge and play a very good defensive style of basketball. They are very methodical in their approach on offense and take high percentage shots as they normally try to work the ball in close to the basket. On defense they employ the 2-2-1 trap-style defense and are good on the boards. I think a good outside or perimeter shooting team could give them trouble if that team can convert them. Also a team with a power inside game will need to have a very good center in order to handle the Eagles inside.

regaleagle
02-27-2014, 04:15 PM
This next game between the Abilene Wylie girls and undefeated Waco La Vega is the one I really want to see. Both teams have a 6'4" center and the winner will be playing the Argyle girls in the SC title game. This one should be a good one. Good luck to both squads. Argyle has an earlier season win against the Wylie girls, but did not have the opportunity to play this La Vega squad that is undefeated. We'll see how Wylie does against them. Word is they are the real deal.

Celina8
02-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Just a shout out of congratulations to the Lady Eagles , bring home another State Title to add to that growing Trophy Case.

D'Highlander
02-27-2014, 04:32 PM
this could get ugly

D'Highlander
02-27-2014, 04:36 PM
12-2 LV still in the first

regaleagle
02-27-2014, 04:44 PM
Yep....LV is the real deal, allright. I'm just glad the Argyle girls have played the schedule against some higher level teams earlier this season. This LaVega team is about as sound defensively and offensively as you'll see a girls team in 3A. They are very impressive so far.

D'Highlander
02-27-2014, 04:44 PM
End of 1st... 21-8 LV

ccmom
02-27-2014, 04:57 PM
LaVega is no joke....impressive...

They lead 35-14 late in second.

ccmom
02-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Final
LaVega 66
Wylie 53

Congrats to our Lady Bulldogs on another fantastic season. Good luck to a very very good LaVega team in the state finals.

regaleagle
02-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Wylie gave a superbly valiant effort in the 2nd half, but they were just too far down and playing a very good LV girls team this year. I thought #34 Sanders played a very impressive game for the Lady Bulldogs, but the Lady Pirates from LaVega are just one of those teams loaded with talent and their big center controls so much under the basket. Now we know why they haven't lost a game all season. Congrats to the Wylie squad on another great season. Now....can the youngster stars of tomorrow from Argyle use some basketball savvy and give these Lady Pirates that are such an athletic team a run for the money??? They sure can't match up athletically...yet. But they may be able to throw a few things at the LV team that will cause them to get frustrated. We'll see Saturday what kind of gameplan Argyle underveils to counter this powerhouse LaVega Pirate girls basketball team.

bobcat1
02-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Final
Argyle 64
Navarro 37

Wylie vs LaVega coming up nextCongrats to the Lady Eagles! Bring it home!

bobcat1
02-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Final
LaVega 66
Wylie 53

Congrats to our Lady Bulldogs on another fantastic season. Good luck to a very very good LaVega team in the state finals.Congrats Lady Bulldogs!

regaleagle
02-27-2014, 11:26 PM
IMHO....I think LV will come out will full court pressure and try to rattle the young Argyle girls to get turnovers and a big lead....which is exactly what I'd do if I were their coach. On the other hand, I think the Argyle girls will do all they can to be methodical and try to slow down this powerbilt LaVega bunch to start the game. They will try to play tough trap defense, extend a low-scoring, frustrating affair....and then work hard to force fouls as they pass the ball inside for close looks. Argyle is very astute at breaking the press, and may capitalize on some fast breaks and force fouls that way. Waco LaVega seems to be able to play proper position presses, though....so let's see which team executes the best. LV can afford to make more mistakes because they can make it up on pure athleticism and with that big center under the basket. But they haven't seen a team so disciplined as Argyle so far, I'm bettin'. That's the wild card for the Eagles....these girls are young, but very basketball savvy. They will not let another team just run over them because that team is more athletic. They'll make the adjustments to put pressure on the opposition...somehow and someway...to give themselves a better chance to win. They're always gauging the strengths of the opposition, looking for the weaknesses, and adjusting. I think we will see a good basketball game come Saturday. These youngsters from Argyle may not be able to persevere against this great LaVega team, but just watch them work as a team. You will see some quality play in the SC game Saturday. They're not great at shooting from 3 point land, but they play position basketball as good as it gets. IMO, this is the better way to play this LaVega squad. Don't take wild shots....play your methodical game and force them to overcommit. Then whack them every chance you get.