PDA

View Full Version : 5' 11' ' and 3/4 will never do..

Tejastrue
02-22-2014, 12:12 AM
Thoughts on this this???

Bleed orange
02-22-2014, 12:15 AM
Thoughts on this this???

What's bad is according to the aggies measurements he's shrunk 2" .. Lol

Bleed orange
02-22-2014, 12:17 AM
Thoughts on this this???

What's bad is according to the aggies measurements he has shrunk 2" .. Lol. Offourse they were probably reading the measuring tape upside down ...

FB-fanatic
02-22-2014, 12:58 AM
Russell Wilson - you will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". y\You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11".

Russell Wilson - you will never make it.

Next question....

Weebe
02-22-2014, 01:37 AM
And Longhorns thought Texas had Saban in the bag?

Instead they settled in their 7th choice.

regaleagle
02-22-2014, 03:27 AM
Let me guess....Russell Wilson grew 2 inches before he turned Pro, right? Because he'd have never made it at 5'11".........lol.

Aesculus gilmus
02-22-2014, 08:49 AM
Russell Wilson came along too late for Gilmer's Stump Godfrey. I'd say Stump is right at 6' also. He's probably slightly taller than Manziel, IOW.

This was one of the main reasons he had such a hard time being recruited as a Division I QB. He could've played safety, even perhaps for Texas. So in that sense, his story is similar to Manziel's w/r to the Longhorns.

I am glad in retrospect that Mack Brown did not offer. Had Stump been the UT QB during the last four years rather than Legacy McCoy, Brown might still have his job.

Incidentally, the reason I know for sure that Stump is 6' tall is that someone in the Gilmer program adds two inches to the heights of all the players.

http://youtu.be/LruV4J6wDzg
Back when this highlight video was made, Stump was 6'2".
:lies:

FB-fanatic
02-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Russell Wilson - you will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". y\You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11". You will *never* make it. You're combine number was 5'11".

Next question....

Just to clarify: my drivel above is to make fun of anyone who continues to insinuate that anyone under or at 6'00" can't make a difference in the NFL. This has been proven so many times it's not funny.

cougartino
02-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Johnny's size doesn't bother me. It's is style of play and can he adapt to what NFL defenses do.

Celina8
02-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Johnny's size doesn't bother me. It's is style of play and can he adapt to what NFL defenses do.

I agree with this. What made Johnny was his ability to improvise and extend the play in college. In the NFL that is going to be a little more difficult.

Saggy Aggie
02-22-2014, 04:17 PM

Next question....

That's a lot of misspelled 'your's... LOL

That's all I could think as I read your post.

FB-fanatic
02-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I guess I was thinking "you are only 5'11".."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FB-fanatic
02-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Thank you for reading them all... BTW, my son passed on 4 scholarship offers to play college ball to follow his big brother to TAMU. Pretty stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tejastrue
02-22-2014, 07:58 PM
I posted this because ESPN was running with it. I found it laughable that they made it a top story.

cougartino
02-22-2014, 10:57 PM
I posted this because ESPN was running with it. I found it laughable that they made it a top story.

Eat
Sh*t and
Pee
Network

Macarthur
02-23-2014, 12:56 PM
What's bad is according to the aggies measurements he's shrunk 2" .. Lol

To be accurate, he was listed at 6'1" and 200lbs. He measured at a tick under 6' and 207, so not 2". I've seen schools list guys sizes much more out of whack than that.

regaleagle
02-23-2014, 01:54 PM
In the grand scheme of things, I don't really think it's gonna matter for Manziel. He is what he is....regardless of an inch in height misnomer.

LHPfactory
02-23-2014, 04:38 PM
What this all reveals is that coaches rely more on the metrics of the combine rather than actually having the ability to evaluate a real football player playing football on the field.

Manso/V8
02-23-2014, 08:28 PM
What this all reveals is that coaches rely more on the metrics of the combine rather than actually having the ability to evaluate a real football player playing football on the field.

I think you are way off base with that statement. Height is a factor at QB, in HS, College, and the NFL.
It is just a data point.

LHPfactory
02-23-2014, 09:46 PM
I think you are way off base with that statement. Height is a factor at QB, in HS, College, and the NFL.
It is just a data point.

No, im way on, why are the biggest lies in football related to height, weight, and 40 times?.

These things are all important as are all the metrics in the combine. They help assess the players tools for the job, but not how well he does the job. Hence, some kids wont be given a chance, regardless of how good they are ....
How many Manziels have been passed up for less talented kids that are 6'4 instead of 5'11 or 6'0?

A 5'8 kid is not going to do the Job in the NFL, but im willing to bet there have been a few that never got the chance that would have amazed us.

That statement wasnt about all coaches, just the ones who are over romanced by the metrics.

The kids with the intangibles often make the biggest difference on a team.

Manso/V8
02-23-2014, 10:32 PM
No, im way on, why are the biggest lies in football related to height, weight, and 40 times?.

These things are all important as are all the metrics in the combine. They help assess the players tools for the job, but not how well he does the job. Hence, some kids wont be given a chance, regardless of how good they are ....
How many Manziels have been passed up for less talented kids that are 6'4 instead of 5'11 or 6'0?

A 5'8 kid is not going to do the Job in the NFL, but im willing to bet there have been a few that never got the chance that would have amazed us.

That statement wasnt about all coaches, just the ones who are over romanced by the metrics.

The kids with the intangibles often make the biggest difference on a team.

In a world where everybody is a good athlete and a good football player, some of those metrics make a difference, and indicate the potential upside for a player.
There are a lot to choose from, and they are spending money on these players.
Being tall is a significant advantage for a pro QB in most offenses.
Having longer arms is a huge advantage for offensive tackles.
A 5'-11" LB is at a disadvantage compared to a 6'-1" LB.
Speed and quick feet is a huge advantage at all positions.

There are plenty of great high school football players with tremendous intangibles that can't make it at the next level, be it NAIA, D-3, D-2. or D-1 because they don't have the metrics.
It is even more important jumping from college to the pros.