PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Detailing

Tejastrue
02-21-2014, 10:50 PM
I just took my 15 year old truck to a car wash/detail shop and was underwhelmed with the results. This was the first time ever for me to do such a thing. I know there are a few on here that work for car dealerships. Just curious as to what brand of products are used for treating, cleaning, restoring, polishing etc. for a complete detail. Also would like to hear from all DIY people about what retail products they have used and recommend.

Tejastrue
02-23-2014, 01:25 AM
I guess it's the wrong time of year for this topic. :(

Manso/V8
02-23-2014, 04:32 PM
I am not that in to it, but my kids have taken some tired look vehicles and made them look pretty sharp. One thing that was really impressive was my son using a "clay bar" to really improve the finish on an older car. I think he used a Mother's kit, but there are usually several brands available at O'Reilly's. Takes some time though. There are several brands of heavy duty gel to improve the appearance of exterior plastic pars. For the interior, Meguiar's is a decent brand and relatively available. There are some forums that discuss other specialty products, but no body in my family has gone that far......the locally available stuff seems to be good enough.

Tejastrue
02-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks. This was all I was looking for.. Wanted to hear from people about what worked best for them. When I had my truck detailed some of the things I felt should clean up did not. In others words it was not as much bang for the buck as I felt it needed to be. Sometimes it's better to DIY and put in the time. I guess my best bet is probably do the research and browse the forums on this subject.

BwdLion73
02-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Thats something I enjoy doing myself. I will spend hours sometimes detailing my vehicle. Prices for waxs, cleaners ect. vary from cheap to extreme. I think a good wash and clean followed by hand waxing is the best thing.

I have tried everything and have not found a lot of difference between some of the high end waxes and simple Turtle wax. Every one has something they enjoy and I just happen to like working on the apperence of my vehicle.

I think when it comes to car products a lot of it depends on the person putting the muscle behind it. :)

BB BULLS
02-24-2014, 02:21 PM
i like the spray on wax myself cant remember what kind i have but it is pretty good. i can get the name of when i get home from work.

waterboy
02-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Every once in a great while I'll take one of my vehicles to have it detailed. It takes a lot of the time out of what I have to do to "finish" the job, because nobody would ever do it to my personal satisfaction. I always go into it knowing I will have to put some finishing touches on it.

MUSTANG69
02-24-2014, 05:36 PM
It is not all about about the products used. It is more about the detailer. We use an outside detailer at the dealership I work at and he is very good. He takes pride in what he does.

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2014, 07:03 PM
There's a place by my house that does a great job for about 25$. They normally charge 50$ for the detailing that I get done but I always use a half off coupon. I then tip the guy so after taxes and that it comes out to about 35$.

But it's a very high quality cleaning inside and out. Car shines for close to 3 weeks I'd guess.