PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City / Cleveland scrimmage

Old Cardinal
08-16-2003, 04:06 PM
The JV game was dominated by BC....In the Varsity scrimmage, Bridge City went 70 yards in five plays, to start the scrimmage. Tarver started a three seniors "I"-- QB Stephen Broussard Stephen Laplayrolie FB and Michael Gauthier at TB. Broussard rambled over defenders for the TD on a fake-option pitch. Then Cleveland used all their 15 alloted plays is the following manner-they scored on the 15th play having fumbled it away 3 times and (if counted) incurred 3 major infractions. BC, then went 69 yards in 4 running plays and fumbled on the Indians 1 yard line. BC scored then on passes by Hunter Hays(QB) and also Broc Haymon(QB). Cleveland's running back #22 broke once for a beautiful TD from his TB position. BC caught nearly every pass that was catchable while on defense....Having been in 9 playoff games in three seasons and having a great development program, was the primary reason that BC would easily beat Cleveland in a real ballgame at this point in time....Cleveland, has the athletes, but get too many pentalties to allow them to sustain long drives. BC played about 8 backs about equal time-four QB's, Broussard, Myers, Hays and Haymon all were very impressive on their time allowed to play.

<small>[ August 17, 2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
08-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Hey OC,

I couldn't handle the heat, and had to live early. The guys did look good today. :D

xlr8tor
08-16-2003, 04:35 PM
Kountze scrimmaged Shepherd, another 22-3A team, and I wasn't impressed with either team. Of course with 3 wins between them last year, I didn't really expect to be. But I got to discuss some football with the faithful few here in Kountze. Found out quickly that BC was the top dog. But sentiments seemed to be; better watch out for Anahuac. But from the what I can tell, I don't see anybody dethroning BC in this district this year. Just my take.

hsfan
08-16-2003, 05:12 PM
it sounds like cleveleand had a tuff day on d and w/flags.the coach there went into a hornets nest w/the way things were left for him to clean up.it will still take him a couple years to get on track, but they could suprise some people if they get over looked.bh is still the TEAM to beat.

exbccards76'smom
08-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Just curious who the very loud Cleveland coach was. He was giving me a headache listening to him from the stands. wink

Old Cardinal
08-16-2003, 09:41 PM
excardMom: I never heard a bunch of Coaches scream continually at the top of their lungs-like that bunch, from Cleveland! That one little short fat(400#) one had the loudest scream I have ever heard on a human being. How a man could stand and scream continually for two hours is beyond me! He should be in the Guinness book of world records!...Aside from that, I had no idea that BC could field and rotate that many young kids on offense and defense, and they all seemed to be quite well Coached in their various positions. They are young and green; but in top condition; and as aggressive as any group that you could ask for. Their inexperience might well lose them some ballgames, but any team that they play will know that they had to play hard to beat them!... I liked the fact that they caused a great number of Indian fumbles with their hard-nosed defensive play.

hsfan
08-16-2003, 10:06 PM
oc,it does not sound like cleveland had a good day,but to get better you have to play the best.if they see how bc is coached and the way they believe in the coaching staff,maybe they will have learned alot todday,it could only help.how did the qb do for the indans and the rest of the o when they were not giving it bc?bh did pretty well tonite.shows got hurt,but it does not look to be more than a little nick.

Old Cardinal
08-16-2003, 10:34 PM
HSFan, The Indians have good talent. If Coach Cayala can get a little help and a little discipline going, I think they can come around and be tough enough, by playoff time.... Please give us the details on the Barbers Hill scrimmage...I think that the major difference is that Bridge City has 4 defensive Coordinator Coaches that have proven resumes as Defensive Coordinators, at other schools, all working with the defense. When they allow Briggs to call the plays on offense, they have a very creative offensive scheme as well...I am glad we have the BC present Coaching staff; as compared to the tactics of the Cleveland Coaching staff.

hsfan
08-16-2003, 10:49 PM
coach c has a tough road ahead of him.if you only knew how bad his program was you would think he is crazy for taking that job.he has gotten rid of most of the ATTITUDES that he inherited.i guess if had some of the talent he has and they were not listening to the coaches i would be screaming too.those guys had no discipline before he arrived.bh has some very good coaching just like bc.i think shows will have a very good year.the qb is young ,but has all the tools to be a very good qb,if not the best to ever come thru bh.he is mature for his age and will listen,because he wants to be a better for the TEAM.

hsfan
08-16-2003, 11:00 PM
hey oc how many teams will bc field this year?bh will have 4,fresh,soph,jv and of course a varsity.

RBARKER
08-17-2003, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the Updates OC, sounds like BC has made a good start. Good luck to the Cardinals, I cant wait for the Liberty / BC game so I can get a scout report before they play BH.

exbccards76'smom
08-17-2003, 08:07 AM
Old Cardinal:
excardMom: I never heard a bunch of Coaches scream continually at the top of their lungs-like that bunch, from Cleveland! That one little short fat(400#) one had the loudest scream I have ever heard on a human being. How a man could stand and scream continually for two hours is beyond me! He should be in the Guinness book of world records!...Aside from that, I had no idea that BC could field and rotate that many young kids on offense and defense, and they all seemed to be quite well Coached in their various positions. They are young and green; but in top condition; and as aggressive as any group that you could ask for. Their inexperience might well lose them some ballgames, but any team that they play will know that they had to play hard to beat them!... I liked the fact that they caused a great number of Indian fumbles with their hard-nosed defensive play.The interceptions were nice, and the sacks were awesome, too. I wish I could have stayed to the end, but had to get back to BC. Looks like we've got a good choice of qb's this year.

Old Cardinal
08-17-2003, 11:11 AM
ExcardsMom: The only weak spot at this point is trying to replace Verrett and Melich at inside linebackers...We were spoiled having two of the best for 3 years, in those positions...He is working Senior Joe Willey, Junior Hunter Hays, Sophomore Collin Briggs and Sophomore Sam Elmore at these positions. All are skilled but lack that element called "seasoned experience"...Andrew Havens(Sophomore) at left offensive tackle will be playing Division I College football for sure, someday...With Havens(#64) speed and unusual size, I would play him at Fullback when inside the 20 yard line! The right offensive tackle, a Junior Doug Somebody, #74, is also a big good kid that has grown a bunch since last year, when he was an active sub, on the Varsity squad.

Old Cardinal
08-17-2003, 01:05 PM
To HSFan: BC has a big number of youth on a 9th grade team; JV 26 kids; and carries about 31 kids on Varsity, of which, all traditionally get to play,if at all possible. In addition, they have a feeder program of A & B 7th grade and also an A & B team 8th grade program. Some of our very best Coaching is done at the 7th and 8th grade level, by dedicated long-term BC patient Coaches. We also have a Jr. age football program(for active middle school age boys, but organized outside the school system)). I was a part of the group that formed it, back when I Coached that age around 1976-76... Please share with us your scrimmage take on BH this weekend? either HSFan, RBarker, or BH_146..

<small>[ August 17, 2003, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
08-17-2003, 02:24 PM
It's making me feel old seeing Sam Elmore playing varsity football. If you hear them holla for "Dog", that's who they want. Sam's nickname is "Coondog". :D

lbc05
08-17-2003, 08:08 PM
bc looked very well for the first scrimmage of the year. i was there along with some of my coaches yall handled cleveland pretty well. all these posts are pretty accurate about cleveland they have not discipline but all the talent in the world. good luck to bc this year, see you at your place on sept. 5.

sphinx1906
08-18-2003, 08:47 AM
I traveled to Cleveland to see the scrimmage myself and all I got out of it was a little sun and a look at two very unimpressive teams. BC's o-line looked slow and non aggressive. The Indians at least had a few more kids out this year but are far from what Cleveland used to be.what really shocked me was how few players BC had.This is a rebuilding year I know but to be talking about BC being the team to dethrone in their district is insane.I think the gentleman that was asleep in the lawn chair by the concession stand got about as much out of the scrimmage as I did.

JasperDog94
08-18-2003, 09:55 AM
It's interesting to see the different spins on the same scrimmage. It sounds to me like BC may not have the studs that they had last year, but they seem to have more depth. Only time will tell.

Was the scrimmage on Friday or Saturday?

sphinx1906
08-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Saturday

Old Cardinal
08-18-2003, 11:22 AM
To Sphinz 1906: Glad to hear that Newton's only bad trash talker is still around---I looked back at your ongoing post for sometime and they are inaccurate; and it's a wonder they have not ROM'ed you for your language...You may be right, BC and Cleveland, may well not be of the caliber of Newton this year. But "slow and non-aggressive" is a lie and you know it!....I look for Newton to get past Marlin this year and with 18 very experience Seniors they just might have the sustaining power to get to the State finals. Best of luck to Newton, even though they have one very immature fan!... Mr. Duckbutter, we all appreciate you and the other Newton posters; these comments are reserved for one person only: for the most part Newton fans are a class act!..

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
08-18-2003, 12:07 PM
To Coach lbc05: We saw you Liberty Coaches over on our side, at the scrimmage...I really look forward to the game with you, at BC on Sept 5. Being that both of these teams are probable Playoff teams, it is good to play like- competition in preseason.... Liberty seems to be loaded and ready to roll this year. Can you tell us who you scrimmaged and how it went?

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
08-18-2003, 12:46 PM
Wonder where sphinx's was when all the interceptions and qb sacks were happening? Liberty scrimmaged Santa Fe, but I don't know how it went.

sphinx1906
08-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Oldcard, thanks for the time you put in looking upold posts. It's nice to know you care. The scrimmage was pretty lame but all first scrimmages usually are. No disrespect intended, I just called it like I saw it. what you said about my language caught me off guard. I did not use any bad language while posting about the scrimmage. But since you want to bring up old stuff, those uneducated, pulp wood haulers (as you so often refer to people in Newton as)are working hard as I know the cards are. I watched them practice the other day and they will be ready. I wish the kids and coaching staff in Bridge city all the best. as for you old card I will look forward to butting heads with the best know it all in south east texas. that was a joke, so don't take it personally.

trojandad
08-18-2003, 01:22 PM
These are the type of posts that come to mind when OC was coming down on me for responding to anti Trojan posts. I think his line was something about having a heart attack. An easily transferrable comment once someone dissed BC, for sure. LOL

I, too, look forward to BC and Liberty, can someone fill me in on where and when? Thanks.

trojandad
08-18-2003, 01:24 PM
Sorry, just saw my answer, my bad.

exbccards76'smom
08-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Bridge City vs Liberty: September 5th, 7:30 p.m. at Bridge City. Hope to see ya' there. :D

trojandad
08-18-2003, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Mom. Was hoping it was our bye week of the 12th. We have Hardin Jefferson that week so I guess I'll have responsibilities here that night.

I know Liberty has a bye week the same week we do, but what does BC do on the 12th? I was planning on going to the Diboll-Carthage game that week unless I had a better offer. (We play Diboll the following week).

Old Cardinal
08-18-2003, 01:52 PM
That is just another lie, I have never said "uneducated pulpwood haulers" in my life-- on this post or in person. Some more of your tactics at work again.

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

sphinx1906
08-18-2003, 02:15 PM
Jeez old card take a blood pressure pill. You and I both know that bridge city is going to play ball every friday night. You have compared Newtons way of life with Bridge Cities way of life on several occassions. You try to fancy word things to give you a scapegoat when you are called to the carpet on these issues but the point you are trying to make is apparent. Don't crawfish when someone has an opinion that differs from yours. Lighten up and talk football. That is what this board is all about. If you don't want someone to bring up your past posts then don't try to research them for ammunition to bludgeon someone else with.

trojandad
08-18-2003, 02:28 PM
I know I wish we still had Newton's Coach Walkoviac still here. A really wonderful coach.

duckbutter
08-18-2003, 02:31 PM
We're proud you don't!

trojandad
08-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Boy, I bet.

JasperDog94
08-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Here we go again... :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
08-18-2003, 02:46 PM
trojandad:
I know I wish we still had Newton's Coach Walkoviac still here. A really wonderful coach.Walkoviac was Jasper's coach.

trojandad
08-18-2003, 02:55 PM
I know, 94, but he was here as offensive coordinator two years ago and left a great impression. He got out before all the silliness last year. Smart man. A group of our kids went with me to the Newton-Teague playoff game last year and he showed a lot of emotion at seeing our guys. I respect him a lot.

JasperDog94
08-18-2003, 03:00 PM
I guess I'm out of the loop. When did he coach in Newton?

trojandad
08-18-2003, 03:10 PM
He left here to go there last year. I think his "official" title there is assistant principal but he was bent over on the sideline right on the line of scrimmage in that familiar pose last year. LOL

exbccards76'smom
08-18-2003, 05:09 PM
trojandad:
Thanks, Mom. Was hoping it was our bye week of the 12th. We have Hardin Jefferson that week so I guess I'll have responsibilities here that night.

I know Liberty has a bye week the same week we do, but what does BC do on the 12th? I was planning on going to the Diboll-Carthage game that week unless I had a better offer. (We play Diboll the following week).Bridge City has a open date that week. wink

lbc05
08-18-2003, 08:04 PM
to old cardinal: we scrimaged Sante fe on saturday. they lost alot of talent from last year but still it was a good team to scrimage for the first game.... i am looking forward to the game also .. we are alot like yall in some ways our senior leadership may be more present at our camp. but we only have about 28 people on varsity. so our game should be very interesting and full of great plays....

Old Cardinal
08-18-2003, 08:18 PM
I think that is a returning trend; keeping around 30 on the Varsity and allowing both the Varsity and JV to play a lot of people in scrimmages and preseason games.

lbc05
08-18-2003, 09:48 PM
true, i was impressed with yalls first quaterback he seemed to run the team well... not as good as knight of course but well indeed.... what was his name and grade..

middleagecardinal
08-19-2003, 06:51 AM
That Doug "Somebody" is Doug Carolton. Played some last year. Big kid and smart. He's 1st or 2nd in his class also.

Old Cardinal:
ExcardsMom: The only weak spot at this point is trying to replace Verrett and Melich at inside linebackers...We were spoiled having two of the best for 3 years, in those positions...He is working Senior Joe Willey, Junior Hunter Hays, Sophomore Collin Briggs and Sophomore Sam Elmore at these positions. All are skilled but lack that element called "seasoned experience"...Andrew Havens(Sophomore) at left offensive tackle will be playing Division I College football for sure, someday...With Havens(#64) speed and unusual size, I would play him at Fullback when inside the 20 yard line! The right offensive tackle, a Junior Doug Somebody, #74, is also a big good kid that has grown a bunch since last year, when he was an active sub, on the Varsity squad.

Old Cardinal
08-19-2003, 10:33 AM
To Liberty Coach: They really don't have a starting QB--If you noticed there were four QBs that took about the same number of alternated snaps, all through the scrimmage....The four are Junior, Ben "B.J." Myers; Senior Stephen Broussard; Sophomore, Broc Haymon; and Junior Hunter Hays...You may be talking about Haymon- he sailed a number of good long completed passes right into the teeth of the defense-setting up some good running plays. I think that all four(QBs), are our strongest personnel. Outside of(QB) John Modica at OF, these 4 have the best potential in the District....All are Star-- Year round Select team Pitchers and Infielders and can all throw a football accurately; just like they can a baseball....What is the status on Liberty's QB?

<small>[ August 19, 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
08-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Thanks excardsMom: I was not belittling Doug Carolton in any way, just could not remember his name at the moment...Well that makes two smart tackles; Havens is a "top-one-percentile", that wins the science and math contest at all the major multi-school contest that our academic contest team enters....Maybe both will play their College ball at Rice University....I heard that Matt Peebles suffered a knee injury out at New Mexico U., and it was bad..He will have to wait till next season to recover and play ball again.

exbccards76'smom
08-19-2003, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear that about Matt. It is a whole different story at the college level.

X21AAAPlayer
08-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Yeah it's official.. I found out from some close sources. He tore his acl and is due for surgery this week.

Old Cardinal
08-20-2003, 12:39 AM
Actually, Matt tore his ACL and his MCL; and that takes a lot longer to heal!

X21AAAPlayer
08-20-2003, 11:55 AM
Yeah.. I beleive that's what Brad Ballard did this year. He was in wheelchair for quite a while, then crutches. It's too bad that there is no miracle surgery to get someone on their feet after something like this. Just takes time. One thing Matt doesn't have a lot of. He's hanging with the big boys now. But hopefully all will go well with him with the surgery being a success. Im not quite sure on the exact date but when I find out how everything is Ill let you know.

lbc05
08-20-2003, 08:23 PM
libertys qb is looking well his first action last year was vs. yall in the second half and then he just kept goin after that... he has grown into a very good option quaterback still needs a little work on touch but can chunk the ball about 65-70 yards down the field.... by the time he is a senior he will be great i think...

bccards
08-20-2003, 08:47 PM
man, just looking at Bridge Citys roster, man we are a very young team! the team is also getting smaller each year!! the breakdown is as follows:

28 TOTAL Varsity Players (As of 8/20/03)
7 SENIORS
12 JUNIORS
9 SOPHOMORES

Wowee!

lbc05
08-20-2003, 10:56 PM
as long as you play hard numbers shouldnt really matter...

trojandad
08-21-2003, 05:49 AM
Just curious, of those listed, how many do you think are going to see duty both ways (O & D) in a normal game?

Old Cardinal
08-21-2003, 11:58 AM
All of the 28 on Varsity, apparently will see action, both on Offense and Defense, as much as they can play them and still win. That's in preseason and many of the District ballgames. That may be one reason they(BC) have been blessed to be a little presistent, in the playoffs the last 3 years.... The JV is loaded, for a JV, and play a lot of players also....If you make the playoffs, you have to have a LOT of people to call upon, because you WILL have some injuries, playing that level of competition, and depth looms as a much bigger factor!

<small>[ August 21, 2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

trojandad
08-21-2003, 12:12 PM
Ok, I obviously wasn't clear. I understand it's every coach's goal to play every man as many places as possible, but of projected starters, how many will go both ways? Are you saying all 11 offensive men will stay out for defense? I ask just because I would have expected a school that large to have kept more on Varsity.

I only saw Bridge City against the Hill last year and I know very well they didn't play all men both ways that game.

Old Cardinal
08-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Maybe, it was not apparent to you, but Bridge City did play everyone, about one quarter in the ballgame against BH, or more. In fact, that long drive toward the end of the game(where {QB}Ben Myers, put the knee down near the goal line), was done by only 2nd and mostly 3rd stringers....I don't think it is possible at this point to say how many will go both ways; when they are rotating so many, into the ballgame. They tend to rest people all through the game; that are going both on offense and defense, as much as the situation will allow. So there is a steady stream of changes taking place all through the ballgame. BC, is no different from any team that plays in postseason, it takes depth to produce or preserve a win in the fourth quarter....Sorry their is no clear cut answer to your question.... I think that there were several players that did not dress out for the last scrimmage, including--Big Jon Landry(FB), BCs great speedster. Jon was not dressed out because, he had pulled a muscle and was out for a week.

<small>[ August 21, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

trojandad
08-21-2003, 02:11 PM
I swear.....the only "apparent" thing was that you were going to turn it into an argument. Fine, they played everyone. I have all I need to know about BC, lesson learned. Geez louise!

ALLSPORTSGUY
08-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Trojandad, What I've heard there will be about 3-4 that will be starters on O as well as D. Hope this answers your question.

trojandad
08-21-2003, 02:39 PM
Makes sense Sportsguy, thanks.......

Old Cardinal
08-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Sorry TRojandad, I tried to answer you as accurately as I could...I had heard that they had no idea who, are how many, would be alternating in and out both ways; but they were just trying to build depth at this time....It was not meant as a smart-aleck answer.

exbccards76'smom
08-21-2003, 04:28 PM
OC is just telling it the way it is. With such a small team, coach is trying to get everyone some time going both ways.

trojandad
08-21-2003, 06:05 PM
I surrendered Mom. And no, I could say the same thing in that tape shows everyone on BC's team didn't play in the 1st qtr of last year's game. But I gave in. I'm not gonna do the "OC's correct" chacha if he's not correct, but you guys have to have some way of surrendering without this continuing "Yes I did, No you didn't" scenario. I bowed out. I'm not correcting OC. Please quit trying to correct after white flags are flown, you won;t convince others anymore than they convince you. Let's just move on to bigger and better.

exbccards76'smom
08-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Ok, it's a mute point...let's move on to something else. Good luck Bridge City at the scrimmage this Saturday against Silsbee.

Old Cardinal
08-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Trojan, You are a weird one-read my post:I said that they all played at least a quarter during the course of the game NOT that they all played in the first quarter! You maybe need to learn to read, before you babble...

Old Cardinal
08-21-2003, 08:51 PM
ExcardsMom: I did a little math and the seven Seniors weigh in at an average of 169#'s; the 12 Juniors weigh in at an average of 178#'s; and the 9 Sophomores weigh in at 182#'s...I believe that the JV had 26 dressed out tonight, and would out weigh the Varsity, on average weight....The 9th grade team had 42 dressed out, they were undefeated as 8th graders(just like out 9th grade, last season, was)....That Varsity is a very light team for 3A, but they are pretty quick.....Did you come out tonight, there must have been 800 people at the stadium; for the "Meet the Cardinals" annual celebration. The support is still there: we must have had four times the fans at the scrimmage in Cleveland, than the home team had.

<small>[ August 21, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

trojandad
08-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Anything else, Old Card?

exbccards76'smom
08-22-2003, 07:57 AM
OC
Did they have Meet the Cardinals in the gym? Looked pretty wet last night. I am sorry that I didn;t make it out, I was babysitting with my granddaughter. I will probably hear it from the A.D.'s secretary this morning. Yeah, I noticed that about the scrimmage attendance, too. But, you know, it was like that when we played them in that infamous playoff game in 2000.

<small>[ August 22, 2003, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: exbccards76'smom ]</small>

Old Cardinal
08-22-2003, 06:05 PM
ExcardsMom: It was in the stadium, but had to be called about 2/3rds through.....Scrimmage tommorow morning 9AM 9th grade;10AM JV; 11AM Varsity.....I am glad were are scrimmaging a 4A school, since we have to play LCM next Friday...Watch for William Morrisey from Silsbee, he is an All-Stater and MVP in 20-4A last year.

<small>[ August 22, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>