PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer coach worth millions to his players - What is your's worth?

buckeyebob
02-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Nice article...really good guy:

KETK, Wednesday, February 5, 2014 - 10:28pm

Gilmer — Jeff Traylor has been the head coach of the Gilmer Buckeyes for 14 years.

During that time he's had 95 players sign with college football teams.

That adds up to $10 million dollars worth of scholarships.

Traylor started three more Buckeyes on their college careers during National Signing Day Wednesday.

It made him proud and sad.

"A lot of stuff goes into this that people don't want to think about," Traylor said. A lot of work went into this."

"Two-a-days, summer workouts, 7-on-7, ACT scores, SAT, GPAs," Traylor added. "I've been with those kids for a long time."

Bleed orange
02-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Nice article...really good guy:

KETK, Wednesday, February 5, 2014 - 10:28pm

Gilmer — Jeff Traylor has been the head coach of the Gilmer Buckeyes for 14 years.

During that time he's had 95 players sign with college football teams.

That adds up to $10 million dollars worth of scholarships.

Traylor started three more Buckeyes on their college careers during National Signing Day Wednesday.

It made him proud and sad.

"A lot of stuff goes into this that people don't want to think about," Traylor said. A lot of work went into this."

"Two-a-days, summer workouts, 7-on-7, ACT scores, SAT, GPAs," Traylor added. "I've been with those kids for a long time."

Not taking away anything from Coach Traylor or Gilmer because both are awesome. However, those numbers seem a little far fetched. That would be over 6 kids a year and if you do the math they would've averaged over 105k dollars a piece in scholarships. Im guessing the majority if those kids went to small schools or jucos which make those numbers impossible. East Tx math.. Lol

44INAROW
02-11-2014, 10:52 AM
:1popcorn:

waterboy
02-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Not taking away anything from Coach Traylor or Gilmer because both are awesome. However, those numbers seem a little far fetched. That would be over 6 kids a year and if you do the math they would've averaged over 105k dollars a piece in scholarships. Im guessing the majority if those kids went to small schools or jucos which make those numbers impossible. East Tx math.. Lol

It does look a little far-fetched at first glance. Think about it, though. Two students from the class of 2011 went to Rice University. The total 4-year tuition at Rice is $142,400. You have to look at it from a 4-year standpoint, then it adds up quickly.

Bleed orange
02-11-2014, 11:15 AM
It does look a little far-fetched at first glance. Think about it, though. Two students from the class of 2011 went to Rice University. The total 4-year tuition at Rice is $142,400. You have to look at it from a 4-year standpoint, then it adds up quickly.

How many if those went to 4 year division 1 schools though?? Especially somewhere like Rice where the tuition is outrageous.

Aesculus gilmus
02-11-2014, 11:29 AM
It should have probably read "adjusted for inflation" or "if all scholarships had been awarded in 2014 and were for four years."

What's ironic is that practically everyone agrees that higher education costs are out of control.

So these outrageous sums of money ordinary students have to pay (or borrow) to further their education beyond high school should be investigated as the scandalous shakedowns that they are.

Bleed orange
02-11-2014, 11:39 AM
It should have probably read "adjusted for inflation" or "if all scholarships had been awarded in 2014 and were for four years."

What's ironic is that practically everyone agrees that higher education costs are out of control.

So these outrageous sums of money ordinary students have to pay (or borrow) to further their education beyond high school should be investigated as the scandalous shakedowns that they are.

The AVERAGE cost for a 4 year degree at a state institution in 2013 was $38k. I played college ball myself and I can tell you VERY FEW kids get their entire school paid for, most just get books and boarding or less. That's why I said the numbers are VERY unrealistic . If all 95 had gotten free rides to Stanford or Rice or then yes. Again not trying to deminish what they've accomplished but the numbers might have been slightly exaggerated ... Lol

waterboy
02-11-2014, 11:46 AM

I agree. With two teenaged daughters it worries me how we are going to be able to afford it. My eldest should be valedictorian of her class, which means she will get "some" scholarships, and the youngest will be at least salutitorian I think, so that will help. It used to be that a valedictorian and salutitorian got automatic scholarships from the state, if memory serves. I don't think they do that anymore, or do they?

Bleed orange
02-11-2014, 11:53 AM
I agree. With two teenaged daughters it worries me how we are going to be able to afford it. My eldest should be valedictorian of her class, which means she will get "some" scholarships, and the youngest will be at least salutitorian I think, so that will help. It used to be that a valedictorian and salutitorian got automatic scholarships from the state, if memory serves. I don't think they do that anymore, or do they?

Be glad they're teenagers. Mine are in elementary and the projected costs when mine get ready to go is over $120k. Talk about stressful. I tell them everyday you better be good at something, I don't care if its sports , cheering, or jump rope. You need scholarships .

waterboy
02-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Be glad they're teenagers. Mine are in elementary and the projected costs when mine get ready to go is over $120k. Talk about stressful. I tell them everyday you better be good at something, I don't care if its sports , cheering, or jump rope. You need scholarships .

They're both involved in EVERY girls' sport there is, plus they are both cheerleaders. We've always told them that they can participate in anything they like, but once they start they have to finish, AND their grades better not suffer, or they won't get to be involved in extracurricular activities. They are both good at athletics, but not good enough to get to the next level. My youngest still has a shot, and I think is probably good enough, but she is rather small which will hurt her chances.

Celina8
02-11-2014, 12:58 PM

I just want to do a congratulations shout out for the outstanding accomplishments for your two young girls.

waterboy
02-11-2014, 01:13 PM
I just want to do a congratulations shout out for the outstanding accomplishments for your two young girls.

Thank you! I am extremely proud of my baby girls. My youngest got her braces off today! My eldest is a junior and has been taking college courses. She should have some of her prerequisites out the way for when she starts college for real. I'm kinda dreading seeing them grow up. My youngest is just an 8th grader, so she has her whole high school career to develop her skills. I'm still wondering if there are any automatic scholarships for finishing first or second in their respective classes. Does anybody know?

By the way, they are both pretty, which scares me a little. I've got lots of guns, though!:D

OldBison75
02-11-2014, 04:45 PM
The AVERAGE cost for a 4 year degree at a state institution in 2013 was $38k. I played college ball myself and I can tell you VERY FEW kids get their entire school paid for, most just get books and boarding or less. That's why I said the numbers are VERY unrealistic . If all 95 had gotten free rides to Stanford or Rice or then yes. Again not trying to deminish what they've accomplished but the numbers might have been slightly exaggerated ... Lol

I don't know where you got the $38k figure from. My daughter goes to TAMU and the cost per year for her is about $20K. Over 4 years that is $80k. However, the dollar amount is not the important factor in what the article says. This is a coach that has mentored a huge number of kids that went on to earn scholarships and the opportunity to enhance their lives. No matter what the dollars show, that is something the coach and the community should be proud of.

regaleagle
02-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Regardless of the "eventual" amount by any coach...including Rodgers, Fedora, Surratt, and many others in Texas High School athletics, and not just in 3A...the article and this thread is a worthy one that brings to light an important aspect that impacts the very fabric of every family that has kids participating at a high level in athletics. Scholarships to help the student athlete move forward to the next level financially IS and should be a top priority for all coaches at the high school level...regardless of the sport. And this article serves as a reminder of the function and relationship coaches serve in our communities. Good stuff.

lostaussie
02-11-2014, 09:19 PM
I don't know where you got the $38k figure from. My daughter goes to TAMU and the cost per year for her is about $20K. Over 4 years that is $80k. However, the dollar amount is not the important factor in what the article says. This is a coach that has mentored a huge number of kids that went on to earn scholarships and the opportunity to enhance their lives. No matter what the dollars show, that is something the coach and the community should be proud of.We are and thank you. It just wasn't like this when I was in school. We are very proud of GISD. Many more good times to come and that is exciting.

LH Panther Mom
02-12-2014, 05:23 AM
I'm still wondering if there are any automatic scholarships for finishing first or second in their respective classes. Does anybody know?
I don't know if they're automatic or not, but I've seen that the 1 & 2 kids here have their first year paid for by colleges. Whether it covers everything, I have no idea. And I don't know if it's limited to state schools or if privates do the same. The counselor should be able to fill you/your daughter in on that.

Old Tiger
02-12-2014, 06:06 AM
The cost of a 4 year college now is so ridiculous. Especially since it's pumped into kids heads they HAVE to go there. People wonder why the younger generations bitch about the pay of jobs, it's because the amount of debt you is accumulated at college, so younger people want higher paying jobs. You can't file bankruptcy on them anymore either. Just another the way the government screwed the younger generations.

Aesculus gilmus
02-12-2014, 07:06 AM
We are and thank you. It just wasn't like this when I was in school. We are very proud of GISD. Many more good times to come and that is exciting.

Ditto. What's sad, though, is how many people will tell you the reason they won't vote to build a new high school is because of the "tens of millions" spent on football. The figure is nowhere near that amount, of course, but truth is never an issue when it comes to political campaigns.

It's ironic that the people who don't like football and think we should focus entirely on academics are punishing the strictly academic students by refusing to upgrade their facilities. Football program's already got its upgrades (except for the indoor practice facility, which now won't happen in my lifetime, given the 70-30 vote against).

I think the only way Gilmer ISD will ever upgrade anythiing from here on out would be if drillers were able to tap into some underground shale in the district, but I don't see this area on the map of any impending boom of that sort.

LH Panther Mom
02-12-2014, 07:08 AM
People wonder why the younger generations bitch about the pay of jobs, it's because the amount of debt you is accumulated at college, so younger people want higher paying jobs.

Hopefully correct grammar isn't a requirement in yours. :p

buckeyebob
02-12-2014, 07:39 AM

JUCO & small schools are very important...and you have kids like Darion Pollard & Luke Turner (Rice), Curtis Brown (UT & Steelers) David Snow (UT & Buffalo)...the list goes on...what is a 4 yr ride to Rice worth?...the bottom line is that Jeff & Co. work very hard to get financial help for the kids...we are a poor area & many would not have an opportunity to get a higher education if it was not for athletics...it may be Kilgore Jr. College, still a break that can make a big difference.

buckeyebob
02-12-2014, 07:47 AM
How many if those went to 4 year division 1 schools though?? Especially somewhere like Rice where the tuition is outrageous.

This year, we had three thus far:
Jaidon Parris - SFA
Josh Walker - Texas A&M
DeVondrick Dixon - Texas State

2012:
Trey Washington - SMU
Dylan Bowman - ETBU
Patrick Finch - Navarro
D. Thomas - ETBU

2011:
Branson Parker - Mary Hardin Baylor
Darion Pollard - Rice
Eddie Ray Fluellen - Tyler Jr. College
Jeremy McMillian - Texas College
Jordan Traylor - Mississippi College
Kole Lawhorn - Mary Hardin Baylor
Luke Turner - Rice
Traylon Webb - Tyler Jr. College
And somemoved on:
G.J. Kinne
David Snow

When I was in high school, I knew of one guy, Barry Moore, that got a ride @ Cisco...I do not remember anyone else...

oldtownag
02-12-2014, 10:09 AM
JUCO & small schools are very important...and you have kids like Darion Pollard & Luke Turner (Rice), Curtis Brown (UT & Steelers) David Snow (UT & Buffalo)...the list goes on...what is a 4 yr ride to Rice worth?...the bottom line is that Jeff & Co. work very hard to get financial help for the kids...we are a poor area & many would not have an opportunity to get a higher education if it was not for athletics...it may be Kilgore Jr. College, still a break that can make a big difference.

Buckeye Bob playing the poor Gilmer card again as he overlooks his 40 acre personal fishing lake and decides how to spend his social security check this month. You just need to kick in more tax money Bob.

Rabid Cougar
02-12-2014, 10:13 AM

Numbers are exaggerated. Full ride football scholarship to UNT is $18,756 dollars a year. The thing about atheltic scholarships, the "value" of the education is the same but their "cost" is not the same as for regular students. The cost for a regular student to go to UNT for one year is $20,800 with the exact same class load and "extras" as the football players. The differences in these "cost" are even larger at Private schools.

teetle
02-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Wells I donts knows buts Ednases coach is worth alots. Theys paying Huey abouts 25000 mores thans theys dids Peirce. Huey he bes worth a lots. He a goods mans. I knowed hims whens he wases ats Bevilles.:hairpunk::bigcry::bigcry::hairpunk:

buckeyebob
02-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Buckeye Bob playing the poor Gilmer card again as he overlooks his 40 acre personal fishing lake and decides how to spend his social security check this month. You just need to kick in more tax money Bob.

I was not talking about ME...need to set you straight:

Not 40 acres, it is 28...my wife has no problem spending my SS check along with my Mail Box Money from those Fracking Wells, investments in "we don't give a crap about you" multi-national evil corporations, or the $$ I make on the side selling firearms & bullets to known scumbags, terrorists, and politicians...I avoid taxes, promote the War on Women (firmly believe that the definition of foreplay is Brace Yourself), drink large quantities of adult beverage often to excess, believe in God, the USA, the Gilmer Buckeye's ability to spank the Carthage Bulldogs (Week 5), & a Democrat is the Spawn of the Devil.

BB BULLS
02-27-2014, 09:07 AM
Hopefully correct grammar isn't a requirement in yours. :p

why is everyone so worried about spelling/grammer? if you understand what they are saying just let it go. hell i know i am not the best speller and dont type in good grammer but it seems like everyone knows what i mean.