PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Quidditch World Cup

PhiI C
02-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Since we are in a new year I decided to use a different thread on this. The World Cup will be on April 5-6, 2014 at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and should be another good one. Remember even though most of the teams are college teams there are some club and high school teams. Also this will be for the World Championship in this sport not just national championship.

An update has been done as of today (2-10-13) and Texas A&M is ranked No. 1 which should be thrilling news to my Aggie friends! Baylor is ranked NO. 5 and Texas No. 10. Many of the word cup competition teams have been decided but these teams will compete for the right to go there on February 22 - 23, 2014 at Tulsa, OK at the Southwest Regional Finals. Since 11 teams from this tournament will qualify I don't think any of these teams will have trouble getting to Myrtle. I hope these teams and all other teams from Texas go and do very well and one of them wins the championship. That would be a great promotion for Quidditch in our state. Hang onto your hats. Excitement coming.

caleb_mccaig
02-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Wrote a story on the Tarleton Quidditch team the other day and went out to a practice. It's a lot more physical than one would think lol, and that's coming from a long time Harry Potter fan.

PhiI C
02-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the information caleb. Most encouraging indeed.

PhiI C
02-10-2014, 03:45 PM
If I am not mistaken there are currently five countries competing to be in the world cup. They are USA, France, UK, Canada and Australia. Also countries interested in joining include Mexico, China and Italy. It is great that the popularity of this sport is not only growing in the USA and Texas but world wide.

PhiI C
02-10-2014, 03:47 PM
This year teams were competing in nine regional tournaments for 80 slots in the world cup.

Also Round Rock, TX was in the finals this year to host the Southwest Regional Tournament but lost out to Tulsa, OK. Hopefully next year they will get it.

Rabid Cougar
02-10-2014, 05:01 PM
It really will be in the Olympics. See Curling. Even has brooms