PDA

View Full Version : What is it like to live in Port Arthur?

easttexas3a
02-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Just got a new job down in Port Arthur, so about to move my whole family that way. Couldn't pass up the job money wise, and the kids are okay with moving.

I have heard though that Port Arthur is not the best place to live, in fact I have heard it is pretty bad.

Was hoping you guys could help...

How is Port Arthur as a city to shop/dine/entertainment?

Also, what is the housing situation like there? Do I need to live in Nederland/Port Neches?

Gsquared
02-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Just got a new job down in Port Arthur, so about to move my whole family that way. Couldn't pass up the job money wise, and the kids are okay with moving.

I have heard though that Port Arthur is not the best place to live, in fact I have heard it is pretty bad.

Also, what is the housing situation like there? Do I need to live in Nederland/Port Neches?

Been to PA many of times and ONLY thing I could say positive about the place is Mikes Boudin Hut! LOL

marler1972
02-10-2014, 10:45 AM
It is very humid, I would move to where the kids can go to PNG. The SETX mardi gras is coming. We will be down there for that. We have family down there.

toddg
02-10-2014, 11:53 AM

i met Todd Dodge when he was HS QB there..i remember thinking how i would hate 2-a-days there lol!! but hey! PA produced Jimmy Johnson, Janis Joplin... and the Big Bopper used to hang out there some too!! but yes..Port Neches or similer nearby town would be advisable, atleast school wise.

caleb_mccaig
02-10-2014, 01:23 PM
i met Todd Dodge when he was HS QB there..i remember thinking how i would hate 2-a-days there lol!! but hey! PA produced Jimmy Johnson, Janis Joplin... and the Big Bopper used to hang out there some too!! but yes..Port Neches or similer nearby town would be advisable, atleast school wise.

Only reason I know that Port Arthur exists is because of Lil Keke and the rap song "Chunk up the Deuce". So that may not be the best thing in the world to be known for.

Bosqueville
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
You might work in PA but you will not live there or send your kids to school there!! Port Neches-Groves or Nederland are two of the top choices in this area.

WOS87
02-10-2014, 03:04 PM
You might work in PA but you will not live there or send your kids to school there!! Port Neches-Groves or Nederland are two of the top choices in this area.

Being from Orange I would have to agree. Port Arthur is a Chemical Plant wasteland. No offense to my friends in Port Arthur. Beaumont West Brook is 20 miles away. Port Neches, Nederland and Bridge City are even closer. Those school zones would be your best bet. Beaumont is where the shopping, dining, entertainment is, or Lake Charles, Louisiana which is 35 miles east. Little Cypress-Mauriceville on the north side of Orange isn't that far away either and housing is dirt cheap. WO-S is also about 20 miles away. It's an odd school district with the most socioeconomic diversity in the Golden Triangle with country club kids and kids from the projects intermingling which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing but it hasn't had the best ratings education-wise the past decade I'm sad to say.

1st and goal
02-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Port Arteur is da western capital of Louisiana.

I think if you live in La, you have state taxes but not sure if their property taxes are high or not.

Cat22
02-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Look in the PNG or Nederland area. If you're looking for smaller schools try either Bridge City or Orangefield.

Aesculus gilmus
02-10-2014, 07:50 PM
"Port Arthur will be the completed (Keystone XL) pipeline system’s terminus. The city’s refineries stand at the ready to turn 830,000 barrels per day of diluted, chemically treated bitumen into heavy diesel and petroleum coke—a dirtier alternative to coal."

I've never been to Port Arthur and don't think that'll change after reading this.
http://www.onearth.org/articles/2013/08/if-built-the-keystone-xl-pipeline-will-end-in-one-toxic-town

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-10-2014, 11:19 PM
I've only been to Port Arthur once. There was a pretty obvious "funk" in the air, and it wasn't someone cuttin' the cheese next to me.

Old Tiger
02-11-2014, 12:51 AM
West Beaumont, Port Neches, Nederland, Fannett(if you want small school atmosphere), and Lumberton.

Manso/V8
02-11-2014, 01:44 AM
You are moving to the armpit of Texas.

GUNHO
02-11-2014, 10:25 AM
I live in Orange and would have to agree with most on here...you do not want to live in Port Arthur.When I was young,back in the 60s it was a nice place but has really gone south sense those days.When I go to PA it is just passing through to get somewhere else.Like most have said you have good choices close by to live.

Lion70
02-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Fishing is great there past Sabine Lake. You also have skeeters everywhere not to mention its kinda of an ugly place. On the upside it is home of Jimmy Johnson but he doesn't live there for obvious reasons.