PDA

View Full Version : Celina grumblings

orange machine
02-06-2014, 11:37 AM
It is not my place at all to question any teams coaching staff, but if you look at history its not too hard to determine what this "drastic" change is. GA Moore = HS Legend. Butch Ford = HS Legend. Ford from 2005 - 2008 takes them to 4 state championships winning 2. 2009 tough season. 2010 came back strong, only to be beaten by a school on its way to 4a. 2011 beat by a strong team who had just came off a Championship the previous year, and almost doubled the Celina enrollment. Then come 2012 & 2013...Beat up on inferior teams, and get absolutly blown out by any team with a pulse. Again this is just the facts from an outside observer. I am by no means disrespecting Celina coaching staff, and have no idea what goes on in their program. Maybe 2012 & 2013 were just bad seasons, and are not the norm. Maybe these teams I am saying "blew" out Celina were actually really upper echelon teams. I don't know. This is just an observation.

That has been brought up before. Here is the deal Celina has a ton of players coming back with really good athletes. In all honesty they should be one of the top ranked teams based on the players coming back and talent.

Dawgs
02-06-2014, 11:44 AM
That has been brought up before. Here is the deal Celina has a ton of players coming back with really good athletes. In all honesty they should be one of the top ranked teams based on the players coming back and talent.

Time will tell. Based off enrollment Celina will be playing more even competition than the previous couple of seasons.

Bleed orange
02-06-2014, 06:32 PM

While I will agree that Celina has ENOUGH talent that IF used correctly they should be in the final 4 in the class the next 2 years . However , unlike some people IMO the talent pool isn't nearly as deep as some would have you believe . There will have to be HUGE improvements along the OL/DL and on the defensive side of the ball if they're gonna be real contenders .

Bleed orange
02-06-2014, 06:37 PM
If or when we lose Scott Surratt, then yes, our empire will fall. Or it will at least decline. Until then, Fear the C! I personally don't think we lose Surratt, but it is always a possibility. We have a pipeline of naturally gifted athletes, and one of the best coaches in the state. Thats a recipe for success.

Good coaching only gets you so far . Talent comes in cycles and as tough as Carthage is now sooner or later they'll have a couple of weaker classes of kids. I would point out that Celina was more dominant for longer and look at them.. It happens.

orange machine
02-06-2014, 06:44 PM
While I will agree that Celina has ENOUGH talent that IF used correctly they should be in the final 4 in the class the next 2 years . However , unlike some people IMO the talent pool isn't nearly as deep as some would have you believe . There will have to be HUGE improvements along the OL/DL and on the defensive side of the ball if they're gonna be real contenders .

The defense has no choice but be better I'm curious who will play on the defensive line. I think the oline will be good and have some pretty good size. From what I understand Trevor Franklin is moving from RG to DE and they are moving a kid that moved here last year who is a freshman now to RG. He started the last game last year and the playoff game. He will be a sophmore and he is already 6'3 285.

Oh I forgot about Taylon Vaughn he he will probably be a DT and he is a big dude at 6'3 280.

Bleed orange
02-06-2014, 07:05 PM
The defense has no choice but be better I'm curious who will play on the defensive line. I think the oline will be good and have some pretty good size. From what I understand Trevor Franklin is moving from RG to DE and they are moving a kid that moved here last year who is a freshman now to RG. He started the last game last year and the playoff game. He will be a sophmore and he is already 6'3 285.

Oh I forgot about Taylon Vaughn he he will probably be a DT and he is a big dude at 6'3 280.

We will see. The defensive was WAY undersized last year and SOFT. Championships are won on the defensive side of the ball and when Celina was GOOD the defenses were dominant. I know the coaches prefer to have the kids play one side of the ball only and that was great when we were a big 2a and could out- talent everyone . They need to play the best 11 on both sides of the ball and if that means some kids play both ways then so be it. They have to take advantage of this realignment .

orange machine
02-06-2014, 07:57 PM
We will see. The defensive was WAY undersized last year and SOFT. Championships are won on the defensive side of the ball and when Celina was GOOD the defenses were dominant. I know the coaches prefer to have the kids play one side of the ball only and that was great when we were a big 2a and could out- talent everyone . They need to play the best 11 on both sides of the ball and if that means some kids play both ways then so be it. They have to take advantage of this realignment .

Thats a big 10-4. The defense will be bigger and better. Also remember Nick Grant moved back this year so he will help out a lot at linebacker, he was missed big time last year because he is a good athlete and has good size.

marler1972
02-06-2014, 08:15 PM
They will be fine

Bleed orange
02-06-2014, 08:30 PM
They will be fine

I think everyone has heard that the last couple years.

bobcat1
02-06-2014, 08:46 PM

You are correct. Those lines of 2006-2008 had guys like Daniel Antwiler (Best hit I have ever seen at a high school football game), Troy Franklin , CJ Nelson, Adam Thomas, and Jaime Blatnick. Linebackers like Austin Wyatt, Cody Wright and Caleb Lavy that were flat out mean and flew to the ball. Then the little guy with the biggest heart, Breck Holman (He made a D1 300 pound tackle from Brownsboro look terrible). D-Backs line D'Anton Lynn, Running backs like Seth Davis, Troy McCartney and Charley Waldrep.

Folks it's not all coaching. It's the Jonnys and Joes.

orange machine
02-06-2014, 09:03 PM
You are correct. Those lines of 2006-2008 had guys like Daniel Antwiler (Best hit I have ever seen at a high school football game), Troy Franklin , CJ Nelson, Adam Thomas, and Jaime Blatnick. Linebackers like Austin Wyatt, Cody Wright and Caleb Lavy that were flat out mean and flew to the ball. Then the little guy with the biggest heart, Breck Holman (He made a D1 300 pound tackle from Brownsboro look terrible). D-Backs line D'Anton Lynn, Running backs like Seth Davis, Troy McCartney and Charley Waldrep.

I wish Celina would go back to the full house backfield and power game. You can still throw and spread the defense out from time to time. The offense seems to work so much better in the full house and all the coaches can coach it. Now that the playing field is level it should work much better.

Bleed orange
02-06-2014, 09:08 PM

Im not completely letting the coaches off the hook because as a coach your job is to maximize the talent you do have. That hasn't necessarily been the case. You have to adjust your schemes to fit what you have. Can't make chicken salad if you ain't got no chicken..

bobcat1
02-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Im not completely letting the coaches off the hook because as a coach your job is to maximize the talent you do have. That hasn't necessarily been the case. You have to adjust your schemes to fit what you have. Can't make chicken salad if you ain't got no chicken..
Correct if you don't have that line, those backs can't run in the power game. Sometimes your stuck with a tween team. Can't do power well and can't do spread well. So you do the best you can with the hand you're dealt and wait for more Johnnys and Joes.

orange machine
02-06-2014, 09:27 PM

You are correct that's why I say the coaches know how to coach the power stuff because they have coached it forever. It's very hard to be successful in the spread offense when you haven't ever coached it before. Generally you need to bring in a oc who has coached it and can teach the players and coaches. I think Celina's oline this year will be pretty big and strong which will make it good to run behind.

orange machine
02-06-2014, 09:39 PM
FYI, that OT from Brownsboro was Lonnie Edwards he went on to Tech and I think he's still on the Denver Broncos roster. I was at that game and Holman gave BB fits. Celina had some very good players during those years. I watched them play at least a half dozen times during that time frame and your right it wasn't all X&O's. There were some studs wearing them ugly orange uni's.

Celina has a great runningback that can tear it up if given more carries. He would be perfect in the power running game behind a full back.

marler1972
02-06-2014, 09:57 PM
There's plenty of Johnnys and joes

toddg
02-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Celina has a great runningback that can tear it up if given more carries. He would be perfect in the power running game behind a full back.
i would go back to that formula..but, its all about the QB these days....

orange machine
02-07-2014, 09:35 AM
i would go back to that formula..but, its all about the QB these days....

If celina ever does go back to the power running game it won't be until after this year the qb is a senior.

Twirling Time
02-07-2014, 06:23 PM
If celina ever does go back to the power running game it won't be until after this year the qb is a senior.

Isn't son #2 a freshman this year?

Bleed orange
02-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Isn't son #2 a freshman this year?

Yes he is

orange machine
02-08-2014, 01:19 AM
Yes. We called earlier this week and Celina said they were full. An hour later they reposted a week 2 opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Celina really needs to play this game, I just don't get why they wouldn't play this game!

regaleagle
02-08-2014, 03:27 AM
Celina WILL play an early game with Argyle(no longer in their district) that they NEED to win. If they win that one...and I personally think they will...it will slingshot them into a beast of a team for the rest of the season....just mark my words. Watch out for this game....a loss won't hurt Argyle that early....but for both teams this is a good game on the schedule early. Just my opinion.

bobcat1
02-08-2014, 07:31 AM
You know what really pisses me off? All these little sneaky jabs at Coach Elliot and his sons. Why not man up and go in and talk to him in person. I bet he will explain it to ya.

toddg
02-08-2014, 09:16 AM
You know what really pisses me off? All these little sneaky jabs at Coach Elliot and his sons. Why not man up and go in and talk to him in person. I bet he will explain it to ya.
If my son was in that program, I would!

orange machine
02-08-2014, 11:16 AM

Because it would get you know where. I personally know someone who has tried and He got know where. I'm good friends with Bills brother in law and we talk about this stuff all the time. Fact is people have opinions and this is a public forum and people are going to say things it comes with the territory. As a matter of fact I've had some lively discussion on here with one of the Celina coaches who I won't name.

I give Bill great praise for scheduling Argyle, Melissa and Bishop Lynch those are some really good teams and he stepped up. I do think Celina should play a tough east tx team because of there speed and Kilgore would have been great.

As far as taking shots at his son I'm not sure who did that. If you are talking about me saying Celina wouldn't switch offenses until next year cause the qb is a senior well that's just obvious. Why would you switch your offense up when your 4 year starting qb is a senior? You generally don't you wait until he graduates next year and start over fresh with a new qb. I personally would love to see Celina go back to the power game because they looked more at home and crisp running that verse the spread.

It's a sports board for fans and people have opinions and want and like to discuss things. Like has been said to me many times here if you don't like what's being said don't read it.

By the way bobcat I'm not mad or upset with you just telling you my side if you where even directing your comments to me.

orange machine
02-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Celina is not close to being a Argyle caliber team. Hell, read the boards. Their own folks mention it. Think the kid's buy into it too, after hearing the backers bash it and the coaching staff there. Not the Celina of old.

I hope I'm wrong in saying this but I wonder sometimes if Butch saw the writing on the wall and he called it quits? Who knows other than himself and those closest to him .

marler1972
02-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Celina is not close to being a Argyle caliber team. Hell, read the boards. Their own folks mention it. Think the kid's buy into it too, after hearing the backers bash it and the coaching staff there. Not the Celina of old.

The boys don't look at this board they could careless. They are busting their butts in offseason to get to their goal winning a state championship.

RPF2666
02-08-2014, 12:53 PM
I hope I'm wrong in saying this but I wonder sometimes if Butch saw the writing on the wall and he called it quits? Who knows other than himself and those closest to him .
You are wrong in saying it.
He called it quits because the time was right for him.
Bobcat is right, without the horses, you can't win a horse race, period.
Celina has a group of men leading the program in the way they believe it needs to be led. Get behind them and push,
don't stand somewhere in the shadows and throw rotten eggs!

Snotbubbles
02-08-2014, 12:58 PM
The boys don't look at this board they could careless. They are busting their butts in offseason to get to their goal winning a state championship.

Didn't say they read these boards. I'm sure the thoughts of some are floating around the local DQ. I'm sure they still get the negative vibes regardless of Downlow.

marler1972
02-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Didn't say they read these boards. I'm sure the thoughts of some are floating around the local DQ. I'm sure they still get the negative vibes regardless of Downlow.

Na they know what they have and they don't care what is said. All the boys I know including the one in my house have the mind set of not letting what happen this last season happen again. It kicked them into a totally different gear.

Bleed orange
02-08-2014, 01:44 PM

You say to ask them. I got a question for you. You think it coincidence that anytime an opening on staff comes up they fill it with only an ex-Celina kid or someone fresh out of college that doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground ? You think it's because they're the most qualified or you think it's because they don't want anyone who's gonna question their ideas??

bobcat1
02-08-2014, 07:23 PM
You say to ask them. I got a question for you. You think it coincidence that anytime an opening on staff comes up they fill it with only an ex-Celina kid or someone fresh out of college that doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground ? You think it's because they're the most qualified or you think it's because they don't want anyone who's gonna question their ideas??

I think it is because they know the system and the HC knows them to be quality individuals. They know the Celina work tradition and what it takes to be Champions. That is my opinion.

bobcat1
02-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Can this conversation be moved to a separate thread so the rest of Texas can see the schedules that the thread was created for? Please!!!!!

Sorry OB. I'll butt out. Now back to the schedules of other teams.

orange machine
02-08-2014, 07:46 PM
I think it is because they know the system and the HC knows them to be quality individuals. They know the Celina work tradition and what it takes to be Champions. That is my opinion.

I see what your saying and in theory one would think hiring an ex player would be great, but the coaches that played in Celina are coaching stuff completely different then what they used to play.

If you want to ask someone how much Celina's football program has changed go ask former Celina qb, d1 qb, former coach of Celina now coaching in Denton Nathan Tune!

By the way I'm not trying to argue with you because I have a lot of respect for you. It's just things are very different since when you used to go to all the games. Again I hope that old Celina toughness comes back and I hope its this current coaching staff that brings the glory days back!