PDA

View Full Version : 4A Division I Pre-season Top 10

Cam
02-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Figured since there's a thread for D2, might as well do DI too....what ya'll thinking?

toddg
02-06-2014, 05:05 PM
District
Borger
Levelland
Lubbock Estacado
Pampa
Seminole
District
Andrews
Clint
Clint Mountain View
Fabens
San Elizario
District
Abilene Wylie
Big Spring
Brownwood
Snyder
Stephenville
District
Burkburnett
Decatur
Gainesville
Graham
Mineral Wells
Wichita Falls Hirschi
District
Alvarado
FW Diamond Hill-Jarvis
Kennedale
Lake Worth
River Oaks Castleberry
Springtown
District
Argyle
Carrollton Ranchview
Dallas Carter
Dallas Hutchins
Dallas Pinkston
Sanger
District
Paris
Paris North Lamar
Pittsburg
Princeton
Quinlan Ford
Texarkana Liberty-Eylau
District
Athens
Crandall
Kaufman
Mabank
Van
Wills Point

toddg
02-06-2014, 05:06 PM
District
Brownsboro
Carthage
Henderson
Kilgore
Palestine
Tyler Chapel Hill
District
Bridge City
Cleveland
Huffman Hargrave
Jasper
Orange Little Cypress-
Mauriceville
Silsbee
Splendora
District
Houston Furr
Houston Sterling
Houston Washington
Houston Wheatley
Navasota
Sealy
District
Bay City
El Campo
Freeport Brazosport
Needville
Stafford
West Columbia
Columbia
District
Burnet
China Spring
Gatesville
Lampasas
Robinson
Waco La Vega
District
Bandera
Boerne
Comal Canyon Lake
Fredericksburg
Liberty Hill
Taylor
District
Beeville Jones
Gonzales
La Vernia
Pleasanton
Robstown
Rockport-Fulton
District
Hidalgo Early College
Kingsville King
La Feria
Rio Grande City Grulla
Zapata

TexasTransplant
02-06-2014, 05:15 PM
In no order, I'd say the Top 10 should be the following teams:

Argyle
Big Spring
Carthage
Chapel Hill (not sure what they have back)
Dallas Carter
El Campo
Jasper
Kilgore
Navasota
Stephenville

Cam
02-06-2014, 05:24 PM

Argyle
Big Spring
Carthage
Dallas Carter
El Campo
Jasper
Kilgore
Navasota
Stephenville

well welcome aboard TT!!...so, just where exactly are you transplanted from? And where in the great state of Texas do you reside?

TexasTransplant
02-06-2014, 06:18 PM
I was born in Louisiana, but moved here in high school (dad is a football coach). I live around Comanche.

icu812
02-06-2014, 07:40 PM

Argyle
Big Spring
Carthage
Dallas Carter
El Campo
Jasper
Kilgore
Navasota
Stephenville

Looks good to me but I don't know much about those teams out West. As far as the ET teams go Carthage, Chapel Hill and Kilgore are top 10 teams no doubt. They will just reload with new talent. However, I believe all 3 lost quit a few key players and will have new QB's. I think Argyle may be in the same boat? As talented as they are I just don't see how they keep from dropping off a LITTLE from last year. I think we'll have some surprise teams this year.

What did Stephenville lose from graduation?

Smitty
02-06-2014, 07:57 PM

Argyle
Big Spring
Carthage
Dallas Carter
El Campo
Jasper
Kilgore
Navasota
Stephenville

Is this personal opinion, or is there some legitimate facts to back this up?

icu812
02-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Is this personal opinion, or is there some legitimate facts to back this up?

Oh I'm sure he really poured through the advanced stats then input them into some formula to arrive at a top 10. Of course its a personal opinion.

orange machine
02-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Oh I'm sure he really poured through the advanced stats then input them into some formula to arrive at a top 10. Of course its a personal opinion.

Oh lol that was a great response!!!

Bleed orange
02-07-2014, 10:14 AM

Argyle
Big Spring
Carthage
Dallas Carter
El Campo
Jasper
Kilgore
Navasota
Stephenville

As solid as Argyle is they lost the majority of their starters that included 5 Div 1 college recruits. They'll be top 10 but I doubt they push for a SC this year.

jason
02-07-2014, 10:26 AM
What did Stephenville lose from graduation?
a lot - they'll be terrible next year.
will be especially tough to get out of the very deep and difficult region 1.

Bosqueville
02-07-2014, 10:33 AM
1. Carthage
2. Stephenville
3. Kilgore
4. Navasota
5. Argyle
6. Chapel Hill
7. Big Spring
8. Wylie
9. El Campo
10. Sealy

slingshot
02-07-2014, 11:45 AM
1. Carthage
2. Stephenville
3. Kilgore
4. Navasota
5. Argyle
6. Chapel Hill
7. Big Spring
8. Wylie
9. El Campo
10. SealyChange Sealy for Graham and this looks good... District 9 and District 3--"Districts of Doom"

icu812
02-07-2014, 12:53 PM
a lot - they'll be terrible next year.
will be especially tough to get out of the very deep and difficult region 1.

lol my sarcasm meter was redlining

Cam
02-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Change Sealy for Graham and this looks good... District 9 and District 3--"Districts of Doom"

Change Wylie, El Campo, or Sealy for Burnet and it looks even better!!!....:D:D.....ya'll just keep ignoring Burnet!......next thing ya know, they'll be lifting their leg at your feet!.....

speedbump
02-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Change Wylie, El Campo, or Sealy for Burnet and it looks even better!!!....:D:D.....ya'll just keep ignoring Burnet!......next thing ya know, they'll be lifting their leg at your feet!.....

Believe me, you don't want any part of the Ricebirds for the next three years.

Cam
02-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Believe me, you don't want any part of the Ricebirds for the next three years.

Why?......big running teams don't scare Hill Country area teams....you can thank Liberty Hill for that!........

speedbump
02-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Why?......big running teams don't scare Hill Country area teams....you can thank Liberty Hill for that!........

Liberty Hill ???? The Ricebirds don't run that little slot T and they play defense.

Cam
02-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Liberty Hill ???? The Ricebirds don't run that little slot T and they play defense.

Whoa!....Liberty Hill don't play defense?....You must have not watched them this past season.....probably the best defense Burnet faced all year...their D was better than our 3rd round opponents, Lubbock Cooper....and running is running....slot T, wing T, etc......don't matter.....Burnet always plays run teams very tough......anyways, all I'm sayin' is new HC Jones has got something going in Burnet. The excitement is back!....the kids wanna play.....the bar has been set high.....with 19 or 20 returning lettermen and a JV that went 10-0, things are looking up.....
Tell us why the Ricebirds are going to be tough for so many years....would like to hear some info on them....

speedbump
02-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Whoa!....Liberty Hill don't play defense?....You must have not watched them this past season.....probably the best defense Burnet faced all year...their D was better than our 3rd round opponents, Lubbock Cooper....and running is running....slot T, wing T, etc......don't matter.....Burnet always plays run teams very tough......anyways, all I'm sayin' is new HC Jones has got something going in Burnet. The excitement is back!....the kids wanna play.....the bar has been set high.....with 19 or 20 returning lettermen and a JV that went 10-0, things are looking up.....
Tell us why the Ricebirds are going to be tough for so many years....would like to hear some info on them....

Their JV and Freshman teams have gone 36-4 since dropping down. Two of those losses were to Bellville and the other two to 4A foster. One of the best coaching staffs in the state and one of the most consistent teams in the state for 100 years or so. They have been to the SC game two times in their last 4 seasons in 3A. Problem is, there was 43 years as one of the smallest schools in 4A right in the middle of those four years. If the UIL leaves the Birds alone people will start to notice them.

EC returned 1 offensive and two defensive starters last year and even after a rash of injuries that included losing probably four of their top 6 defensive players and had them down to their fourth and fifth team running backs they still won 7 games. Gillis (3A coach of the year in 2011 and selected to coach this years south team in July) did heck of a job juggling young players and the defense held their opponents to 1 TD or less in six of their ten games. They have a lot of talent coming back and more on the way. Maybe we will meet for the first time ever in the playoffs,it's always fun to play somebody new.

LHPfactory
02-08-2014, 12:08 AM
Their JV and Freshman teams have gone 36-4 since dropping down. Two of those losses were to Bellville and the other two to 4A foster. One of the best coaching staffs in the state and one of the most consistent teams in the state for 100 years or so. They have been to the SC game two times in their last 4 seasons in 3A. Problem is, there was 43 years as one of the smallest schools in 4A right in the middle of those four years. If the UIL leaves the Birds alone people will start to notice them.

EC returned 1 offensive and two defensive starters last year and even after a rash of injuries that included losing probably four of their top 6 defensive players and had them down to their fourth and fifth team running backs they still won 7 games. Gillis (3A coach of the year in 2011 and selected to coach this years south team in July) did heck of a job juggling young players and the defense held their opponents to 1 TD or less in six of their ten games. They have a lot of talent coming back and more on the way. Maybe we will meet for the first time ever in the playoffs,it's always fun to play somebody new.

EC is historically a good program, but I have to burst your bubble and let you know that the O7 LH team would have beat the 2012 Ricebirds badly. Carthage, Gilmer and anyone who watched or played them will attest to that. You have been dropped a classification for a few hears and still no Title, LH has 2.

regaleagle
02-08-2014, 02:54 AM
I know it's crazy, but Argyle is about to graduate about 31 seniors and still has D1 talent left from last year's squad. Some started, and some were playing in shuttle or back-up roles. I don't know if it's just the coaching staff, but these guys just keep showing up. Another new crop of talented sophs, and our qb will be Cooper Rodgers, the son of Coach Todd Rodgers. Heck, he couldn't start last season....Boyzuick and Sadler were too good. But he has gotten tons of playing time and snaps. He won't be anything but the son of the coach and almost a coach on the field for the offense. He does know the offense....inside and out. That will make Argyle a viable contender late in the season, IMHO. He'll be a senior this season....one of a small class.

Ralston is being heavily recruited and will go D1 for sure. He will be one of the few seniors, along with a few linemen.

Weebe
02-08-2014, 03:31 AM
EC is historically a good program, but I have to burst your bubble and let you know that the O7 LH team would have beat the 2012 Ricebirds badly. Carthage, Gilmer and anyone who watched or played them will attest to that. You have been dropped a classification for a few hears and still no Title, LH has 2.

So, the fact that El Campo has not won a SC(despite making it to the SC game) in its first TWO years in 3A is sufficient proof that LH is a superior program despite LH doing very little over the same two year period?

And you automatically assume that the 2007 LH team was better than the best EC team over the last 10 years(which was likely not the 2012 team)?

regaleagle
02-08-2014, 03:37 AM
Weebe....I'm a South Texas native from Goliad, and my Mom lives in Bay City for the last 25 yrs. Heck, my step-father drove the football bus for the team for about the past 12 yrs. until last year. I don't know the intimate details about the team upcoming for EC, but I can honestly say I believe they will be a very tough nut to beat....based on their staff and past history. There's no way I would discount that team in their region....ever. I'm sure you'll keep us up-to-date on El Campo's upcoming team for next season. They should be a contender.

Weebe
02-08-2014, 03:41 AM
Weebe....I'm a South Texas native from Goliad, and my Mom lives in Bay City for the last 25 yrs. Heck, my step-father drove the football bus for the team for about 12 yrs. I don't know the intimate details about the team upcoming for EC, but I can honestly say I believe they will be a very tough nut to beat....based on their staff and past history. There's no way I would discount that team in their region....ever. I'm sure you'll keep us up-to-date on El Campo's upcoming team for next season. They should be a contender.

Last year's senior group was it weakest in at least 10 years. Plus, they lost their top 4 RB's to injury(and El Campo relies exclusively on the running game).

They will be much improved this year, although I am not as convinced as speed bump is that they will be dominant.

Weebe
02-08-2014, 03:42 AM
So, the fact that El Campo has not won a SC(despite making it to the SC game) in its first TWO years in 3A is sufficient proof that LH is a superior program despite LH doing very little over the same two year period?

And you automatically assume that the 2007 LH team was better than the best EC team over the last 10 years(which was likely not the 2012 team)?

Also, El Campo's 2012 team had only one weakness, their pass defense.

If LH 2007 couldn't pass at a high level, they wouldn't have beat them.

HEMOTOXIC
02-08-2014, 12:36 PM

Based on that comment, you obviously didn't see that 2007 LH team. That '07 LH team is one of the best teams that I've ever seen. And yes, IMO, they would have crushed EC.

movethechain
02-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Based on that comment, you obviously didn't see that 2007 LH team. That '07 LH team is one of the best teams that I've ever seen. And yes, IMO, they would have crushed EC.

My thoughts exactly. '07 LH was a beast. They just lined up and run over you. They did not need any passing game at all. EC would have been demolished by '07 LH.

Dawgs
02-08-2014, 01:37 PM

El Campo 2012 was a gutsy squad with some stud players. This is evident from being down 24-14 in the 4th Qt of the State Semi-Finals, and having what it takes to finish the game. Hey, they ran up against a buzz saw in Ville in the Championship game...No shame in that, El Campo was a great team that season. But you have wayyyy out kicked your coverage even comparing them to the 2007 LH Team. We are talking whole other class. Since Surratt arrived at Carthage in 2007, I have been following 3a football pretty closely. When you talk 2007 LH, we are talking 2009 Gilmer, 2008 & 2010 Carthage, and 2012 Ville. Lets have a comparison...2007 Carthage wasn't far from being as good as the 2012 team. We didn't even belong on the field with those boys. You are talking about covering passes, stopping the run, smart play, 5 yards an a cloud of dust, bust a big one on you, and you didn't even know who had the ball. Your looking in the backfiled trying to find the ball, and its 50 yards down field in the endzone. Line up and kick your butt. If 2007 LH took the field every season, I ain't too sure anybody could ever beat them. I would like to say 2008, 2010, or 2013 Carthage could, but I am not too sure.

marler1972
02-08-2014, 01:43 PM
I know it's crazy, but Argyle is about to graduate about 31 seniors and still has D1 talent left from last year's squad. Some started, and some were playing in shuttle or back-up roles. I don't know if it's just the coaching staff, but these guys just keep showing up. Another new crop of talented sophs, and our qb will be Cooper Rodgers, the son of Coach Todd Rodgers. Heck, he couldn't start last season....Boyzuick and Sadler were too good. But he has gotten tons of playing time and snaps. He won't be anything but the son of the coach and almost a coach on the field for the offense. He does know the offense....inside and out. That will make Argyle a viable contender late in the season, IMHO. He'll be a senior this season....one of a small class.

Ralston is being heavily recruited and will go D1 for sure. He will be one of the few seniors, along with a few linemen.
Ralston committed this week to Arizona State

Weebe
02-08-2014, 08:19 PM
My thoughts exactly. '07 LH was a beast. They just lined up and run over you. They did not need any passing game at all. EC would have been demolished by '07 LH.

I admittedly know nothing about the 2007 LH team.

icu812
02-08-2014, 09:05 PM
El Campo 2012 was a gutsy squad with some stud players. This is evident from being down 24-14 in the 4th Qt of the State Semi-Finals, and having what it takes to finish the game. Hey, they ran up against a buzz saw in Ville in the Championship game...No shame in that, El Campo was a great team that season. But you have wayyyy out kicked your coverage even comparing them to the 2007 LH Team. We are talking whole other class. Since Surratt arrived at Carthage in 2007, I have been following 3a football pretty closely. When you talk 2007 LH, we are talking 2009 Gilmer, 2008 & 2010 Carthage, and 2012 Ville. Lets have a comparison...2007 Carthage wasn't far from being as good as the 2012 team. We didn't even belong on the field with those boys. You are talking about covering passes, stopping the run, smart play, 5 yards an a cloud of dust, bust a big one on you, and you didn't even know who had the ball. Your looking in the backfiled trying to find the ball, and its 50 yards down field in the endzone. Line up and kick your butt. If 2007 LH took the field every season, I ain't too sure anybody could ever beat them. I would like to say 2008, 2010, or 2013 Carthage could, but I am not too sure.

Great post. Its difficult to compare state champs year to year but 2007 LH was as good as any I've seen. Those Carthage teams may have been as good but I don't think they were any better. Both Carthage and LH had good D's but I don't think either of them would have shut down the others offense. Those O-lines on both teams were just to good and the RB's just to talented. Offensively that LH team was amazing to watch. I'm not sure I've seen a defense in the last 10 years or so that would have shut them down. Would have liked to seen them vs. 2003 Atlanta's D.

panfan
02-10-2014, 08:09 AM
LH 07 was a lights out team, but enough about them, let me give you some insights on LH '14. Last season, we had a roster of 49, 18 of which were either juniors or sophomores. One might say we would be down this coming year due to heavy loss of seniors. Almost everyone of those juniors and sophs started in front of or saw significant playing time. On offense, the entire line returns as a senior group and have several seasons together now. They all average about 6', are fairly quick, and strong. We'll likely have a junior QB coming up who has shown to be exceptionally strong and competent at running the offense. A few guys will be shuffled into the backfield positions, who have previously played there but were playing defense this past season. Defensively, we return 6 or 7 starters, most of which are in the LB, corner, and safety positions. Our defense last season was very strong, and adept at defending the pass (a typical weakness) in years past. As we got into the playoffs, Vernon, killed us with a good running back, better than we had seen all season. If we stay healthy, this year's 2014 LH team will be very strong. Don't know that its top 10 material, but it be a far cry better than average too.