PDA

View Full Version : Longest Drive for District Games

Trashman
02-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Found this on another site

These numbers are if a team had to travel away for each game they played in district

Longest total Drive
1. Anthony 1501.43
2. San Augustine 957.48
3. Van Horn 850.06
4. Bracketville 814.6
5. Christoval 763.29

Shortest Total Drive
1. Bosqueville 130.25
2. Runge 154.17
3. Kenedy 155.43
4. Gladwater Union Grove 160.85
5. Sundown 160.9

Longest Avg Drive
1. Anthony 375.36
2. Van Horn 212.52
3. San Augustine 191.5
4. Christoval 190.82
5. Forsan 179.24

Shortest Avg Drive
1. Bosqueville 26.05
2. Union Grove 32.17
3. Axtell 32.32
4. Big Sandy 32.66
5. Ore City 33.22

Longest Max Trip
1. Anthony & Christoval 448.53
3. Forsan 378.92
4. Ozona 367.53
5. McCamey 306.45

Shortest Max Trip
1. Ore City 44.73
2. Bosqueville 48.09
3. Milano 51.29
4. Sundown 51.36
5. Axtell 51.9

http://www.theathleticsdepartment.com/o

Mojo84
02-04-2014, 04:16 PM
How does Andrews not make this list. They are north of Odessa and ALL of their district opponents are in El Paso? That's 300 miles away.

Tejastrue
02-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Maybe the UIL should sponsor luxury charter buses for the schools with these long ass trips, including accommodations with meal plans. I'm sure it is under consideration.

Trashman
02-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Maybe the UIL should sponsor luxury charter buses for the schools with these long ass trips, including accommodations with meal plans. I'm sure it is under consideration.

I won't be holding my breath.....The UIL does not care about any school west of the I-35 corridor...unless there is a rules violation. HAHAHA!

Crow22
02-05-2014, 02:09 PM
I won't be holding my breath.....The UIL does not care about any school west of the I-35 corridor...unless there is a rules violation. HAHAHA!

Just a question since you think its the UIL's fault that schools west of I-35 have to travel that much...

What exactly would you have the UIL do? Create some towns that are closer to each other? Maybe just pit schools against each other regardless of enrollment numbers? Let's see...I think Midland Lee should play Kermit. I mean, the travel would be better, right?

D'Highlander
02-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Just a question since you think its the UIL's fault that schools west of I-35 have to travel that much...

What exactly would you have the UIL do? Create some towns that are closer to each other? Maybe just pit schools against each other regardless of enrollment numbers? Let's see...I think Midland Lee should play Kermit. I mean, the travel would be better, right?

The solution is to give West Texas to New Mexico and Oklahoma. Make the cutoff Abilene

Rabid Cougar
02-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Obvious benefit of living in the Waco Area ( Bosqueville and Axtell)

If it was this past season you could have just put District 17 . LaVega and Connally for sure ( 3 miles apart) From there: China Spring is 15, Robinson is 10, West 18 and Lorena 17. Average 12.6

slingshot
02-05-2014, 06:02 PM
The solution is to give West Texas to New Mexico and Oklahoma. Make the cutoff AbileneNo problem--we'll just take our oil with us...

jacket98,99
02-06-2014, 07:20 AM
No problem--we'll just take our oil with us...

:fnypost:

coach
02-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Uil just doesnt make any sense. Rusk and Lorena and Conally are in the same district yet la vega, china, and robinson arent in the same district as 2 schools just down the street from one anoher. Hell Corsicana and Ennis are in a district with Lufkin, Nac, Lindale, and a couple of tyler schools. So. Damn. Stupid.

Rabid Cougar
02-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Uil just doesnt make any sense. Rusk and Lorena and Conally are in the same district yet la vega, china, and robinson arent in the same district as 2 schools just down the street from one anoher. Hell Corsicana and Ennis are in a district with Lufkin, Nac, Lindale, and a couple of tyler schools. So. Damn. Stupid.

Lorena and Connally are DII. CS LV and Robinson are DI.

Rusk got hung out because there are really no other DII schools around them. Fairfield (closest District foe) is 67. Others are Tatum (57) and Gilmer (70 something). They were going to drive regardless.

Crow22
02-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Rusk got hung out because there are really no other DII schools around them. Fairfield (closest District foe) is 67. Others are Tatum (57) and Gilmer (70 something). They were going to drive regardless.

How in the WORLD is Brookshire Royal not in the same district as Katy High??? Also, how is Austin Westlake not in the same district at Blanco???!!!!! STUPID UIL!!! They're way too close to each other to be broken up!!!!

;)

coach
02-07-2014, 02:01 PM

Did not know that about LV and Robinson. My bad

Matthew328
02-07-2014, 09:04 PM
lines gotta be drawn somewhere and theres no way UIL can make everyone happy.

As for the travel, the superintendents voted for split divisions...we told ya this would be the result...there's nothing that can be done in West Texas, but don't blame the UIL for that....they let the superintndents decide it thats why we are just now seeing split divisions in 4A..

If you ask me the UIL made a lot of concessions to West Texas at realignment...five team district in 6A?

Ernest T Bass
02-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Nothing's perfect, but the UIL does a pretty good job; especially compared to other states' high school athletic governing bodies

sotex
02-07-2014, 09:38 PM
The real culprit here is the idiotic Superintendents that voted to approve splitting into D1 and D2 during the regular season. Every supe that voted for this crap should be fired.

cougartino
02-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Distance wise it may not be that great, but I really feel sorry for the folks at Navasota. In football they may be able to skate if all road HISD games can be played at Delmar off 290, but those trips for the other sports, like to Sterling deep in the heart of South Park Houston, LAWD!!!!

db8coach
02-07-2014, 10:33 PM

Amen...and with it over half of the Texas economy.

db8coach
02-07-2014, 10:35 PM
From what I hear, the West Texas supes were outvoted by the closer East of I-35 folks.

D'Highlander
02-10-2014, 07:40 AM

Amen...and with it over half of the Texas economy.

Geeze guys... it was just a joke! :kiss:

buckeyebob
02-11-2014, 09:02 AM
From what I hear, the West Texas supes were outvoted by the closer East of I-35 folks.

It is my understanding that there were two areas of concern in the pro/con with the Sups...
West Texas & some South Texas was distance traveled
With the others (East incl) it was about the Div 1 & Div 2 numbers & districts . playoffs, etc...ie...in 2004, we were Div 2 SC, in 2009, we were Div 1...we had 33 net gain...2012/2013 Alignment, we had Kilgore (965), Chapel Hill (961), Henderson (888), Gilmer (631), Bullard (606), Gladewater (506) & Springhill (507)...big split & it showed...Bullard deserved to be a Div 2 Playoff Team but were pounded into submission...with the new district, there will be a more equitable pairing.

Trashman
02-11-2014, 10:21 AM

It is the UIL's fault, they created this situation. To suggest anything else would be insane. I have no beef with the UIL, West Texas has been traveling for a long time. I grew up in a small central Texas town during the 1970's and we drove 160 miles (one way) for district games and contest on a regular basis. West Texas schools know they are going to have to travel, its a fact of life for all of them. East Texas schools are the ones that are really affected. Instead of driving across town they will actually have to leave the city limits. :spitlol:

XMan
02-11-2014, 01:40 PM
I think a lot of people are getting their panties into a big wad for something small. This is only for football. You will only travel to AWAY district games. How many is that? 3, 4 at most on Friday nights or on Saturdays. The flip side is that the non district schedule can be filled with nearby opponents. Where its going to get interesting is when parents have a daughter playing a district volleyball game in one town and their son playing district football game in another town 100 miles away. See, the vball and fball districts don't match up anymore. The days of having early district vball games in the same town as the varsity football game that night are over. This will make districts split up some of their personnel.

db8coach
02-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Geeze guys... it was just a joke! :kiss:

West Texas folks kinda get tired of being marginalized by other parts of Texas...we get a chip on our shoulders.

Emerson1
02-20-2014, 04:46 PM

I didn't realize how bad Ennis is getting screwed until TexasHSfootball (http://texashsfootball.com/2014/02/20/uil-denies-appeals-for-football-realignment/) pointed out the district that Ennis should be in. Their longest drive would have been 47 minutes to Arlington. Now all but one drive will be at least 1.5 hours. At least the UIL approved their appeal to allow the other sports to be in it.

Twirling Time
02-20-2014, 08:26 PM
What was the criteria of these lists? Because the total travel in one-ISD districts like Frisco, Garland, Fort Worth and Dallas would easily make the shortest drive list.

buckeyebob
02-20-2014, 11:49 PM
I think a lot of people are getting their panties into a big wad for something small. This is only for football. You will only travel to AWAY district games. How many is that? 3, 4 at most on Friday nights or on Saturdays. The flip side is that the non district schedule can be filled with nearby opponents. Where its going to get interesting is when parents have a daughter playing a district volleyball game in one town and their son playing district football game in another town 100 miles away. See, the vball and fball districts don't match up anymore. The days of having early district vball games in the same town as the varsity football game that night are over. This will make districts split up some of their personnel.

We have 2,,,yep 2...home Games this season, Nevada Community & Canton + 2 neutral games (Carthage @ Longview Lobo on Sat. Night & Liberty Eyleau on Thurs night...travel to Mellisa (116mi one way)