PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 vs Window 8......not an improvement!!!

regaleagle
01-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Well....my Toshiba laptop bit the dust the other day when it fell off the recliner onto the tile floor. It messed up the corner where the plug in goes. They said it messed up the "mother board". So I bought another Toshiba at Best Buy(only $379) pretty much like the one I had($700 4 yrs. ago), except with the new Windows 8. My son went with me, and told me and the guy at Best Buy he and most of his friends don't like the Windows 8 version. Now after a couple of days I know why. It is not user friendly for me, and difficult to use since I'm not "geeky". The guy at Best Buy said alot of people who bought them early on brought them back because they couldn't use them. But he also said that they don't sell any of them with Windows 7 loaded in them anymore....that you would have to pay about $200 to change a new one back. I guess I'm stuck on a new learning curve that I'll never get past. Heck, it took me 4 years just to learn some of the tools on the old one.....and now this new gig is a real setback for me. They just can't leave a good thing alone, can they? #*@%!!

Emerson1
01-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Well....my Toshiba laptop bit the dust the other day when it fell off the recliner onto the tile floor. It messed up the corner where the plug in goes. They said it messed up the "mother board". So I bought another Toshiba at Best Buy(only $379) pretty much like the one I had($700 4 yrs. ago), except with the new Windows 8. My son went with me, and told me and the guy at Best Buy he and most of his friends don't like the Windows 8 version. Now after a couple of days I know why. It is not user friendly for me, and difficult to use since I'm not "geeky". The guy at Best Buy said alot of people who bought them early on brought them back because they couldn't use them. But he also said that they don't sell any of them with Windows 7 loaded in them anymore....that you would have to pay about $200 to change a new one back. I guess I'm stuck on a new learning curve that I'll never get past. Heck, it took me 4 years just to learn some of the tools on the old one.....and now this new gig is a real setback for me. They just can't leave a good thing alone, can they? #*@%!!

1. Don't ever believe anything that someone from Best Buy tells you.
2. You can get Windows 7 for $90 from Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B00H09BB16/ref=sr_1_2?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1391137377&sr=1-2&keywords=windows+7+64+bit)
3. You can still get laptops with Windows 7 pre-installed on Amazon.
4. You can change Windows 8 to look like 7.

regaleagle
01-31-2014, 01:22 AM
Well, heckfire.....that's some good news. Apparently, I need a guy like you to direct my path to the promised land of computer lala land, lol. I mean this Windows 8 sucks a big enchilada breath...so if you can help direct my path back to Windows 7, I'd be mighty beholding to you Mr. Emerson. Just lay it all out on this thread for everyone to read up on and that'll be just fine with me, and thanks for your astute tutolige....or is that tutorial???

Yoe_09
01-31-2014, 02:02 AM
Well, I actually have enjoyed my switch over to Windows 8 (HP). My previous desktop (Dell) was running Vista but I had been using Windows 7 a lot off of my personal laptop and on the school computers. To me, there just really isn't that much of a difference. I am just a casual computer user, and really the two biggest differences I have noticed are the start screen (with the apps) and the corners. Once you got into desktop view, everything is really the same to me. It takes a while to get adjusted to the new start screen, but I have actually found it easier for me to open programs than I had previously.

What are some of your biggest issues?

Old Tiger
01-31-2014, 02:34 AM
The next laptop I purchase is going to be a Mac.