PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best coaching staffs?

orange machine
01-30-2014, 11:25 AM
We always talk about who the best teams are and about how good the kids are ect. Lets talk about who has the best coaching staffs. More credit needs to go to the coaches who help prepare these athletes and teach them. Right off the bat I think of Gilmer's Jeff Traylor, Argyle's Todd Rogers and Carthage's Scott Surratt. Of course their coaching staffs along with them. Who do yall think are top notch staffs that get the most out of the kids?

Bleed orange
01-30-2014, 11:35 AM
We always talk about who the best teams are and about how good the kids are ect. Lets talk about who has the best coaching staffs. More credit needs to go to the coaches who help prepare these athletes and teach them. Right off the bat I think of Gilmer's Jeff Traylor, Argyle's Todd Rogers and Carthage's Scott Surratt. Of course their coaching staffs along with them. Who do yall think are top notch staffs that get the most out of the kids?

I notice you didn't mention your own ...

Dawgs
01-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Best coaching staff? 3a? It's not even close...There is Surratt and Company, and then everybody else. League of there own at this level.

buckeyebob
01-30-2014, 12:26 PM
The three mentioned are great. The staff has been together for a long time. They are a great bunch.

waterboy
01-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Opinions can be skewed due to talent levels also. Getting the "most" out of the players you have could be any of a number of coaches and staffs. Some coaches have the "Jimmys and Joes", but not much in the way of "X's and O's", while other coaches are not blessed with the "Jimmys and Joes", but get the most out of what he has with the "X's and O's".

Dawgs
01-30-2014, 03:17 PM
Opinions can be skewed due to talent levels also. Getting the "most" out of the players you have could be any of a number of coaches and staffs. Some coaches have the "Jimmys and Joes", but not much in the way of "X's and O's", while other coaches are not blessed with the "Jimmys and Joes", but get the most out of what he has with the "X's and O's".

This is as true a statement that can be made. Although I do think the Carthage coaching staff is awesome, I was just trying to stir the pot a little with my first post. We have a great talent pool to pick from in Carthage for such small enrollment, and that plays a big part of our success. With that said it took the right staff to take us to the level we are currently at.

Aesculus gilmus
01-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Of course, I am partial to Coach Traylor and staff.

The only concern I have is that so many middle-aged to elderly people with no ties to the Gilmer ISD have moved into our district in the last few decades.

If they would just refrain from supporting the school district, that would be one thing. But they are actively fighting against the whole concept of public schools.

We will see in coming years how powerful this anti-public education force is in this state. If it's as powerful as I think it is, we'll all have to join TAPPS eventually (and "play Taps" for the Buckeyes and other public school teams).

Farmersfan
01-30-2014, 04:08 PM
There are a lot of "Good" coaches at every level. But it's talent that makes a "GREAT" coach. I've seen really good talent fail due to bad coaching but I don't think I've ever seen bad talent win consistently because of good coaching....

GrTigers6
01-30-2014, 04:11 PM
There are a lot of "Good" coaches at every level. But it's talent that makes a "GREAT" coach. I've seen really good talent fail due to bad coaching but I don't think I've ever seen bad talent win consistently because of good coaching....

Uh Cowboys!:D
Seriously though that is very true. Good players need good coaching most of the time. If they are good enough then it wont matter but that is very rare.

slingshot
01-30-2014, 07:28 PM
We always talk about who the best teams are and about how good the kids are ect. Lets talk about who has the best coaching staffs. More credit needs to go to the coaches who help prepare these athletes and teach them. Right off the bat I think of Gilmer's Jeff Traylor, Argyle's Todd Rogers and Carthage's Scott Surratt. Of course their coaching staffs along with them. Who do yall think are top notch staffs that get the most out of the kids?Hugh Sandifer and staff are right there. We do not have a 'great talent pool'... just a bunch of hard playing upper middle-class kids and win much more than we probably should. I'll also put in a vote for Coach Gillespie and staff at Stephenville...

Bleed orange
01-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Hugh Sandifer and staff are right there. We do not have a 'great talent pool'... just a bunch of hard playing upper middle-class kids and win much more than we probably should. I'll also put in a vote for Coach Gillespie and staff at Stephenville...

Not taking away from the coaches but I think that S'ville falls in the category of having a big selection of Johnny's and Joe's.

regaleagle
01-30-2014, 08:01 PM
For overall staffs in all sports, I'd have to put the staff Todd Rodgers and Argyle has assembled at near the very top in 3A. They have excellence in so many sports every year....golf, volleyball, basketball, tennis, soccer, baseball, football, wrestling, and then some off-shoots like swimming, equestrian, and whatever else those kids do. It's just a busy deal over at that high school in the extra-curriculars.....I've never seen anything like it anywhere else for a school with an enrollment below 700. They consistently challenge with the best not only in 3A, but in some sports in the higher classifications or best in state. You just have to give all the coaches much credit.

Bleed orange
01-30-2014, 08:35 PM
For overall staffs in all sports, I'd have to put the staff Todd Rodgers and Argyle has assembled at near the very top in 3A. They have excellence in so many sports every year....golf, volleyball, basketball, tennis, soccer, baseball, football, wrestling, and then some off-shoots like swimming, equestrian, and whatever else those kids do. It's just a busy deal over at that high school in the extra-curriculars.....I've never seen anything like it anywhere else for a school with an enrollment below 700. They consistently challenge with the best not only in 3A, but in some sports in the higher classifications or best in state. You just have to give all the coaches much credit.
And GOOD genetics..

orange machine
01-30-2014, 09:27 PM

I'll agree ill have to say overall Argyle seems to have the best of the best in all sports.

orange machine
01-30-2014, 09:30 PM
I notice you didn't mention your own ...

Silence

ahs_indian_fan
01-30-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm partial but coach Dixon at Alvarado does wonders with the athletes he has. In his seven (or eight) years Alvarado has had one (that I can think of) kid that has played big time college football. To take Alvarado from where they were when he arrived to a consistent playoff team like they are now is something I don't believe a lot of coaches could have done or had the patience to do.

Not 3A but another staff that deserves a lot of credit is the staff at Granbury ... just my two cents.

Aesculus gilmus
01-31-2014, 07:27 AM
just a bunch of hard playing upper middle-class kids and win much more than we probably should.

The socioeconomic background of the players is worth a LOT. Gilmer players are living hand-to-mouth (sometimes literally) in a lot of cases. Not just Gilmer either. It's true of probably the majority of public schools in East Texas. Last statistic I read was that something over 70 percent of Gilmer students are considered "economically disadvantaged."

Greg Tepper did a good analysis of this for Texas Football last August.
http://www.texasfootball.com/highschool-news/view/180458

YTBulldogs
01-31-2014, 07:54 AM
I'll toot my own coach, Brent Kornegay and the staff here at Yoakum. He's assembled great guys and gal's to be role model coaches for our kids. Grades first. Period. We are very lucky. Always the smallest enrollment school in our district, yet we win our share. At all sports (girls and boys) for the most part too. He values the books and it's pleasing seeing our student/athletes on the all academic teams, year in and year out.

His methods and belief's has now been instilled at all levels during his 5 years here. With the new split divisions in 4A, I think we will be even more successful competing against schools more our size.

We are truly blessed having a man of his quality morals and values like Coach Kornegay, leading our student athletes here in Yoakum. Looking towards the future, it's mighty bright for the Bulldogs.

buckeyebob
01-31-2014, 08:04 AM

We too have a swim team & we are smaller @ 685. From the Gilmer Mirror 1-29-14:

THE BUCKEYE “swim team” took first in the 100 and second in the 50 at district competition this past Saturday. The “team” consists of Andrew Koudelka, a freshman at GHS. He will represent Gilmer at the regional swim meet at The Colony Feb. 7-8.
Gilmer freshman Andrew Koudelka is headed to The Colony for the regional swim meet on Feb. 7-8. Koudelka won a first and a second in two events at the district swim meet in Texarkana Saturday.
Koudelka is the second member of his family to swim for Gilmer High School. His brother Grant is swimming now at The University of Texas at Austin while studying engineering.
Koudelka entered the 100-yard freestyle and finished first with a time of 50.40 seconds.
For his second event, he went with the even shorter race of the 50-yard freestyle. He placed second in 23.37 behind Chris Radomski, who won the event in district record time.
Where in past years, the winners at Texarkana have traveled south to The Woodlands or Conroe to swim, this year the Northeast Texas swimmers are grouped regionally with swimmers from Dallas. A coach from Lewisville volunteered to host the event, and thus the trip to The Colony which is just south of Lake Lewisville.

maestro
01-31-2014, 09:13 AM
You have to give coach gillis at el campo his mention. He hires top quality knowledge based assistants also.

I think coach Finn at wharton has done a nice upgrade in his coaching hires.

Bleed orange
01-31-2014, 11:05 AM
The socioeconomic background of the players is worth a LOT. Gilmer players are living hand-to-mouth (sometimes literally) in a lot of cases. Not just Gilmer either. It's true of probably the majority of public schools in East Texas. Last statistic I read was that something over 70 percent of Gilmer students are considered "economically disadvantaged."

Greg Tepper did a good analysis of this for Texas Football last August.
http://www.texasfootball.com/highschool-news/view/180458

East Tx has definitely been a force to reckon with in 3a lately . Reading your above post brings a question to my mind that I don't know to be truth but Ive heard rumored. With the economy hitting hard in alot of the e. Tx industries along with some poor performing school districts Ive heard that some of the schools ( Carthage, Gimer, etc) are benefitting in that they are getting alot of good athletes moving in from these underperforming school districts . Any truth to that??

Aesculus gilmus
01-31-2014, 11:40 AM
East Tx has definitely been a force to reckon with in 3a lately . Reading your above post brings a question to my mind that I don't know to be truth but Ive heard rumored. With the economy hitting hard in alot of the e. Tx industries along with some poor performing school districts Ive heard that some of the schools ( Carthage, Gimer, etc) are benefitting in that they are getting alot of good athletes moving in from these underperforming school districts . Any truth to that??

I think the reason good athletes would move into Carthage, Gilmer, etc., would, first and foremost, be because of the reputation of those programs.

Gilmer is a better academic district than people realize, though. The football program overshadows that. The elementary school is a problem, though. It just made some sort of list the TEA put out and it was not a list you'd want to be on.

Gilmer, it is also clear, will probably NEVER build a new high school. This is going to be a problem eventually and that may be why we finally lose our All-American coaching staff. I hope I'm wrong, but the support for public schools in this county, especially among the voters/taxpayers of Gilmer ISD, seems to be at an all-time low.

I seriously think a lot of these old codgers in this county/district would just as soon the public schools shut down so they won't have to pay taxes anymore. It's also another sign of how bad the economy is if you're out in the middle of nowhere and have no shale oil boom to exploit.

Cam
01-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Of course, only time will tell....but it looks like Burnet has something good going with their new AD/HC. Kurt Jones is young and the staff he's assembled so far is impressive ....and it showed last season with a team that made the final 16 when it wasn't supposed to....fun times ahead!....

Rabid Cougar
01-31-2014, 01:39 PM
They are all good until they don't win.

Gone Fishing
01-31-2014, 02:16 PM
They are all good until they don't win.

Agree. The time allowed is longer than College or the pros, but the same thing.

oldtownag
01-31-2014, 02:45 PM
I think the reason good athletes would move into Carthage, Gilmer, etc., would, first and foremost, be because of the reputation of those programs.

Gilmer is a better academic district than people realize, though. The football program overshadows that. The elementary school is a problem, though. It just made some sort of list the TEA put out and it was not a list you'd want to be on.

Gilmer, it is also clear, will probably NEVER build a new high school. This is going to be a problem eventually and that may be why we finally lose our All-American coaching staff. I hope I'm wrong, but the support for public schools in this county, especially among the voters/taxpayers of Gilmer ISD, seems to be at an all-time low.

I seriously think a lot of these old codgers in this county/district would just as soon the public schools shut down so they won't have to pay taxes anymore. It's also another sign of how bad the economy is if you're out in the middle of nowhere and have no shale oil boom to exploit.

Carthage has great coaches, great athletes, great facilities, and great academics. All hail the shale!

Celina8
01-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Hey I thought by joining this forum that made us all Honorary Coaches...so I nominate all the members of the Texas Downlow.

orange machine
01-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Hey I thought by joining this forum that made us all Honorary Coaches...so I nominate all the members of the Texas Downlow.

Some people on here could probably do a better job. ;)

buckeyebob
01-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Carthage has great coaches, great athletes, great facilities, and great academics. All hail the shale!

What happens to Tatum when the mines close?

orange machine
01-31-2014, 10:53 PM
I would like to see what Jeff Traylor and staff or Scott Surratt and staff could do with a team in the dfw area or even west texas.

orange machine
01-31-2014, 10:54 PM
I have a feeling it would be a lot like Todd Rogers at Argyle.

Aesculus gilmus
02-01-2014, 08:08 AM
I agree they'd have success at Argyle. Argyle, as many have noted, is a "little Southlake Carroll." Even if the district in some years does not have players overall as athletic as those in Carthage or Gilmer, the advantages those players have merely by being in families who are successful enough to live there are HUGE.

Given that they had something like five Division I players last season, I don't think you could even say they didn't measure up in raw athleticism to Carthage and Gilmer in 2013.

orange machine
02-01-2014, 10:39 AM
I agree they'd have success at Argyle. Argyle, as many have noted, is a "little Southlake Carroll." Even if the district in some years does not have players overall as athletic as those in Carthage or Gilmer, the advantages those players have merely by being in families who are successful enough to live there are HUGE.

Given that they had something like five Division I players last season, I don't think you could even say they didn't measure up in raw athleticism to Carthage and Gilmer in 2013.

Argyle is on another level than teams around here. The entire program is top of the line and in my opinion that comes from an administration who has put a great AD in charge who knows how to evaluate good coaches. It obvious I'm right because Argyle is good at everything.

Eagle1
02-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Argyle is on another level than teams around here. The entire program is top of the line and in my opinion that comes from an administration who has put a great AD in charge who knows how to evaluate good coaches. It obvious I'm right because Argyle is good at everything.
It is easier to win at a place like argyle where the parents have unlimited resources to make their kids succeed, personal trainers, dietary supplements, camps, playing on select teams, 3 square meals a day, kids don't work their sport is their job if they don't work tirelessly at their sport they loose their new car and hefty allowance. How would Rogers do at a place like Hillsboro where I grew up, or most small towns where the kids may not get 3 meals a day, don't have anyone at home pushing them, can't afford camp or to even make it to the weight room everyday in the summer, and definitely can't afford supplements.

orange machine
02-01-2014, 06:14 PM
It is easier to win at a place like argyle where the parents have unlimited resources to make their kids succeed, personal trainers, dietary supplements, camps, playing on select teams, 3 square meals a day, kids don't work their sport is their job if they don't work tirelessly at their sport they loose their new car and hefty allowance. How would Rogers do at a place like Hillsboro where I grew up, or most small towns where the kids may not get 3 meals a day, don't have anyone at home pushing them, can't afford camp or to even make it to the weight room everyday in the summer, and definitely can't afford supplements.

I see your point but how about Gilmer, Carthage and those teams like them that are always in the hunt . They don't have a lot of the fancy stuff Argyle does?

slingshot
02-01-2014, 07:09 PM
I see your point but how about Gilmer, Carthage and those teams like them that are always in the hunt . They don't have a lot of the fancy stuff Argyle does?They have a definite genetic advantage... combine that with great coaching, great work ethic and a winning tradition that the kids strive to continue=winning program. We have the last 3...

YTBulldogs
02-01-2014, 07:17 PM
I see your point but how about Gilmer, Carthage and those teams like them that are always in the hunt . They don't have a lot of the fancy stuff Argyle does?

Carthage scoreboard is pretty fancy I'd say. 95% don't have that.

BLACK ATTACK
02-01-2014, 09:02 PM

Although i may agree that some of the kids in Argyle have economical advantages over some kids in other school districts, it is absolutely ridiculous to speculate that a lot of kids in our schools do not have to work outside of school and all they have to do is spend their time chugging supplements and visiting their trainer, and to even go to the place of kids loosing their cars and hefty allowances if they don't bust ass tirelessly, is just someone running their mouth that has no idea. Stick to what you know about. My apologies that Hillsboro is not good at anything.

buckeyebob
02-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Carthage scoreboard is pretty fancy I'd say. 95% don't have that.

An indoor 100 yd. practice facility...fracking can get almost anything

Aggie98
02-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Carthage has a new stadium, a $750K video board, an indoor practice facility and their own personal fleet of Greyhound charter buses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regaleagle
02-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Yeah, haha....my son drove an 83 Malibu he earned in the summers working for yours truly in our roofing business. And then he played football, ran track, and played baseball, made straight A's and earned a track scholarship. He graduated at Argyle in 2006, and was a junior dback/receiver on our team that went to our first SC title game. He's pretty much representative of most of the kids from Argyle. In most 3A size schools, there's always kids from wealthy or well-to-do families, and maybe Argyle has a few more than most. But on the whole, the kids at Argyle are just very hard workers and driven by parental & community support, and a precedence for excellence that was established in about year two when the school was getting under way. They built that excellence....no one gave it to them. And now the rest of 3A will have to work hard to beat an Argyle group in athletics, scholastics, and other extra-curriculars.....good luck.

regaleagle
02-01-2014, 10:24 PM
And not to toot his horn, but to further my work ethic point.....my son also was an excellent Boy Scout and received many awards for doing community service, including Order of the Arrow by his Troop. He never made Eagle, but had to choose between athletics and scouts after his freshman year. This is just indicative of the commitment level of most students at Argyle. I would say that is the primary reason for Argyle's success as a high school....support locally, parental involvement, excellent coaching staffs, and a strong COMMITMENT by all of the above. The kids are affected and infected in a positive way from early on.

OldBison75
02-01-2014, 11:08 PM
I have to say there are a lot of great coaching staff's in Texas. You can't argue with success and I therefore add the staff at Navasota into the list. Lee Fedora has won consistently and that is with three different offensive coordinators and several assistants leaving for head coaching opportunities. The boys and girls basketball teams seem to almost always be in the playoffs. There are always some top track athletes. Just an overall good program and great coaches.

Dawgs
02-03-2014, 06:19 AM
http://etsn.fm/carthages-scott-surratt-is-the-etsn-fm-2013-east-texas-football-super-team-coach-of-the-year/

Bleed orange
02-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Yeah, haha....my son drove an 83 Malibu he earned in the summers working for yours truly in our roofing business. And then he played football, ran track, and played baseball, made straight A's and earned a track scholarship. He graduated at Argyle in 2006, and was a junior dback/receiver on our team that went to our first SC title game. He's pretty much representative of most of the kids from Argyle. In most 3A size schools, there's always kids from wealthy or well-to-do families, and maybe Argyle has a few more than most. But on the whole, the kids at Argyle are just very hard workers and driven by parental & community support, and a precedence for excellence that was established in about year two when the school was getting under way. They built that excellence....no one gave it to them. And now the rest of 3A will have to work hard to beat an Argyle group in athletics, scholastics, and other extra-curriculars.....good luck.
I agree that Argyle has set a standard that is going to be hard for other schools to match. I disagree however about the socioeconomic situation in Argyle. From what Ive been told Argyle has set up in its city ordinances a way to somewhat control who moves there by use of building codes, etc. While it doesn't guarantee success I also think you are selling short having the advantage of parents being able to pay for their kids to play select sports. I would guess a large majority of Argyle kids play select leagues growing up and that GOOD coaching and game experience at younger ages does put them in an advantage later .

BLACK ATTACK
02-03-2014, 04:27 PM
I agree that Argyle has set a standard that is going to be hard for other schools to match. I disagree however about the socioeconomic situation in Argyle. From what Ive been told Argyle has set up in its city ordinances a way to somewhat control who moves there by use of building codes, etc. While it doesn't guarantee success I also think you are selling short having the advantage of parents being able to pay for their kids to play select sports. I would guess a large majority of Argyle kids play select leagues growing up and that GOOD coaching and game experience at younger ages does put them in an advantage later .

Well, i guess the key words in your statement are "I've been told" & "I would guess" means exactly what? Except you know nothing. As far as select sports, i challenge you to find a town or city in which multiple kids do not play select sports. Maybe Celina is the exception, but I doubt it since my son has played many a select baseball game against plenty of kids from Celina.
I'm guessing back when Celina was beating the hell out of everyone that it was just because of good ole homegrown hard work, since apparently no one over there can afford select sports and ya'll have a bad socioeconomic situation. God forbid that the kids from Argyle are just good athletes and work their tail off at multiple sports in order to be successful.

Bleed orange
02-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Well, i guess the key words in your statement are "I've been told" & "I would guess" means exactly what? Except you know nothing. As far as select sports, i challenge you to find a town or city in which multiple kids do not play select sports. Maybe Celina is the exception, but I doubt it since my son has played many a select baseball game against plenty of kids from Celina.
I'm guessing back when Celina was beating the hell out of everyone that it was just because of good ole homegrown hard work, since apparently no one over there can afford select sports and ya'll have a bad socioeconomic situation. God forbid that the kids from Argyle are just good athletes and work their tail off at multiple sports in order to be successful.

You're getting all bent out of shape for no reason . Nobody is taking anything away from the kids . However , to say that Argyle hasn't tried to set itself up as a small Southlake is just plain denial. Also nobody said kids from other schools didnt play select leagues BUT when the majority of a schools kids DO come from high income homes that can afford to put them in 2-3 select sports it DOES give the kids an advantage.

BLACK ATTACK
02-03-2014, 05:55 PM
You're getting all bent out of shape for no reason . Nobody is taking anything away from the kids . However , to say that Argyle hasn't tried to set itself up as a small Southlake is just plain denial. Also nobody said kids from other schools didnt play select leagues BUT when the majority of a schools kids DO come from high income homes that can afford to put them in 2-3 select sports it DOES give the kids an advantage.

Using your philosophy, I'm curious of your opinion that IF Celina ever gets dominate at anything again, what will be the reason. New found wealth?

Bleed orange
02-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Using your philosophy, I'm curious of your opinion that IF Celina ever gets dominate at anything again, what will be the reason. New found wealth?

Again you're taking this as some kind of knock on Argyle. I think Argyle has it figured out. Is it any coincidence that teams like Southlake, Lake Travis, West Lake, etc are good on a yearly basis?? Having good Johnny and Joe's makes a coaches job alot easier.

BLACK ATTACK
02-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Again you're taking this as some kind of knock on Argyle. I think Argyle has it figured out. Is it any coincidence that teams like Southlake, Lake Travis, West Lake, etc are good on a yearly basis?? Having good Johnny and Joe's makes a coaches job alot easier.

Still didn't answer the question

Bleed orange
02-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Still didn't answer the question

Celina is not set up to regulate who lives there so the answer is no.

Old Tiger
02-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Sandifer
Traylor
Surratt
Fedora

orange machine
02-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Sandifer
Traylor
Surratt
Fedora

Todd Rogers - Argyle

Old Tiger
02-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Todd Rogers - Argyle

Need more body of work, plus Argyle has advantages the others do not.

orange machine
02-04-2014, 12:44 AM

More body of work he has led Argyle to 3 state title games in the last 8 years.

Bleed orange
02-04-2014, 12:44 AM

Whatever are you implying sir???

Aguilafanatico
02-04-2014, 08:20 AM

Please be more specific regarding the advantages Coach Rodgers has over the others.

orange machine
02-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Please be more specific regarding the advantages Coach Rodgers has over the others.

I find it funny when you have a very successful team people try to discredit it and bash it. It cant be because the coaches are fantastic or the kids work really hard it has to be something else other than those things.

waterboy
02-04-2014, 12:18 PM
I find it funny when you have a very successful team people try to discredit it and bash it. It cant be because the coaches are fantastic or the kids work really hard it has to be something else other than those things.

No doubt. It doesn't really matter. The thing is though, Argyle does have one of the best staffs around, some of the best facilitites, some of the best training money can buy, etc. There are some advantages to a wealthier fan base which can't be denied. Their young men work just as hard as anybody else's young men, and wealth can mean they work smarter, too.

buckeyebob
02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
No doubt. It doesn't really matter. The thing is though, Argyle does have one of the best staffs around, some of the best facilitites, some of the best training money can buy, etc. There are some advantages to a wealthier fan base which can't be denied. Their young men work just as hard as anybody else's young men, and wealth can mean they work smarter, too.

Don't forget the new uniforms for every occasion...we only get used tradeins

waterboy
02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Don't forget the new uniforms for every occasion...we only get used tradeins

Yeah, Nike is slipping with their sponsorship!

regaleagle
02-05-2014, 03:25 AM

Yeah, that 3500 capacity stadium with metal bleachers is right up there with Southlake's and Gilmer's allright, haha. Argyle does well with the smallish facilities they have....but in no way, shape, or form are they even close to some of the facilities around the classification. Y'all just keep telling yourselves when you get whooped by little ol' Argyle that it's all those "wealthy people's kids" with all the advantages is the reason your kids can't win, haha. I've heard some good ones, but that borders on the hysterical.

Old Tiger
02-05-2014, 03:30 AM
Yeah, that 3500 capacity stadium with metal bleachers is right up there with Southlake's and Gilmer's allright, haha. Argyle does well with the smallish facilities they have....but in no way, shape, or form are they even close to some of the facilities around the classification. Y'all just keep telling yourselves when you get whooped by little ol' Argyle that it's all those "wealthy people's kids" with all the advantages is the reason your kids can't win, haha. I've heard some good ones, but that borders on the hysterical.
To be fair the wealthy kids can afford to go to camps and get private training.

regaleagle
02-05-2014, 03:45 AM
To be fair the wealthy kids can afford to go to camps and get private training.

Yeah....like riding the bench if they don't get ready for the season. Them fiberglass benches get mighty hot in August, lol. It's the hard work, folks....end of story.

Dawgs
02-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Yeah....like riding the bench if they don't get ready for the season. Them fiberglass benches get mighty hot in August, lol. It's the hard work, folks....end of story.

I agree 100%, that its hard work that pay dividends. And there is no doubt in my mind that the boys in Argyle work just as hard as any in the state, but you are kidding yourself if you think money doesn't help. When parents are able to provide their kids with the extras, it can't do anything but help. One of the main reasons Carthage is a top 10 team in baseball every year, is that parents are fortunate enough to afford for kids to travel playing select ball. This has been happening for years. If you look at all the top baseball players at Carthage, I would bet that 85% of them come from upper middle class families that can afford the extras. Its just part of it. As long as Argyle keeps kicking butt, their will be a ton of reasons people try to bring the program down. Hey, these fans that are making excuses are the ones getting their butts kicked by a bunch of rich kids! No shame in that at all. Welcome to the real world! I have all the respect in the world for Argyle as a program, keep kicking butt!

buckeyebob
02-05-2014, 07:53 AM

I guess they are butt hurt since we threatened Adidas last year...I do hear we are getting new jerseys (old ones are OLD! m& threadbare)...still have old pants, shoes, etc...I wish we were rich

buckeyebob
02-05-2014, 07:55 AM

Nice High End Benches...ours are old wood, left over from McClelland Field when they tore it down in '68.

buckeyebob
02-05-2014, 07:59 AM
I agree 100%, that its hard work that pay dividends. And there is no doubt in my mind that the boys in Argyle work just as hard as any in the state, but you are kidding yourself if you think money doesn't help. When parents are able to provide their kids with the extras, it can't do anything but help. One of the main reasons Carthage is a top 10 team in baseball every year, is that parents are fortunate enough to afford for kids to travel playing select ball. This has been happening for years. If you look at all the top baseball players at Carthage, I would bet that 85% of them come from upper middle class families that can afford the extras. Its just part of it. As long as Argyle keeps kicking butt, their will be a ton of reasons people try to bring the program down. Hey, these fans that are making excuses are the ones getting their butts kicked by a bunch of rich kids! No shame in that at all. Welcome to the real world! I have all the respect in the world for Argyle as a program, keep kicking butt!

I wonder what an upper middle class family looks like... & I am disappointed...do not get to play Argyle for the next 2 years...we do get to spank Carthrage tho...priceless!

Dawgs
02-05-2014, 08:19 AM
I wonder what an upper middle class family looks like... & I am disappointed...do not get to play Argyle for the next 2 years...we do get to spank Carthrage tho...priceless!

Well, I will tell you the number one way to spot upper middle class, they have all their teeth. I guess you could compare them to the "elite" class of Gilmer. You can expect the same from Carthage as you did from Argyle...Ohhh bout 1 out of every 4 games the Nuts might come away with a victory!

waterboy
02-05-2014, 08:32 AM

The ONLY part I got wrong was the facilities, the stadium anyway. I know your school buildings are much newer and nicer than what we have. Our stadium may be nicer and bigger, but we have a bigger fan base. What is ludicrous is that you can't see the forest for the trees, 'cause you think that wealth doesn't help your students get the best of training. It doesn't matter to me, but the truth is the truth. We work just as hard as you do. We just don't have the best of offseason training because most of our students are unable to afford it. I don't hold a grudge of any sort about it, I'm not jealous about it, nor do I care, but it's laughable that you can't see those advantages. We do very well with what we have.

By the way, I absolutely HATE not being able to play y'all over the next two seasons. I've always enjoyed our wars.

waterboy
02-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Well, I will tell you the number one way to spot upper middle class, they have all their teeth. I guess you could compare them to the "elite" class of Gilmer. You can expect the same from Carthage as you did from Argyle...Ohhh bout 1 out of every 4 games the Nuts might come away with a victory!

Hey, at least we do BRUSH our toofs. I know I brushed both of 'em this morning! Oh, and who won the last meeting between Carthage and Gilmer? Hmmm... I absolutely LOVE that we get the opportunity to play y'all over the next couple of seasons.

Aesculus gilmus
02-05-2014, 08:35 AM
The term "middle class" is an interesting one.

Only two percent of Americans will admit to being "upper class" and only seven percent to being "lower class."

Everyone else thinks they're some form of "middle class."

I will freely admit that the Gilmer ISD is made up mostly of households which have "lower middle class" incomes at best and, in many cases, "lower class" ones. This is why we probably won't ever pass another bond issue for new facilities.

This will date me, but for many households in the GISD, their theme song is the old John Conlee standard, "I'm Busted."
http://youtu.be/HWjX_hYajqw

Here is an analysis of why Americans all believe they are middle class.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/08/why-americans-all-believe-they-are-middle-class/278240/
"Politicians of all stripes will continue to claim allegiance to the middle class, but that’s just because they’re hoping we don’t notice it’s a brand without a product."

Dawgs
02-05-2014, 08:36 AM
The ONLY part I got wrong was the facilities, the stadium anyway. I know your school buildings are much newer and nicer than what we have. Our stadium may be nicer and bigger, but we have a bigger fan base. What is ludicrous is that you can't see the forest for the trees, 'cause you think that wealth doesn't help your students get the best of training. It doesn't matter to me, but the truth is the truth. We work just as hard as you do. We just don't have the best of offseason training because most of our students are unable to afford it. I don't hold a grudge of any sort about it, I'm not jealous about it, nor do I care, but it's laughable that you can't see those advantages. We do very well with what we have.

By the way, I absolutely HATE not being able to play y'all over the next two seasons. I've always enjoyed our wars.

Well said...I don't think anybody is trying to take away from Argyle. Its just the facts that money DOES help.

Dawgs
02-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Hey, at least we do BRUSH our toofs. I know I brushed both of 'em this morning! Oh, and who won the last meeting between Carthage and Gilmer? Hmmm... I absolutely LOVE that we get the opportunity to play y'all over the next couple of seasons.

Haha...It will be a fun week heading into the game for sure. I am super excited. Really, alot of our fans hated that we didnt have the opportunity to play Gilmer the last couple of years, especially since we have to hear all the hup-lah from the fanatics like Bob. Always nice to bring the Buckeye Army back down to Earth. The rivalry was starting to get some steam after the 1st 2 meetings in the District of Doom. This is great for ETXFB. Hopefully we have 2 years of competitive games, and we are able to keep it going over a number of season past these 2. Ill be silently rooting for the Nuts until week!

waterboy
02-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Haha...It will be a fun week heading into the game for sure. I am super excited. Really, alot of our fans hated that we didnt have the opportunity to play Gilmer the last couple of years, especially since we have to hear all the hup-lah from the fanatics like Bob. Always nice to bring the Buckeye Army back down to Earth. The rivalry was starting to get some steam after the 1st 2 meetings in the District of Doom. This is great for ETXFB. Hopefully we have 2 years of competitive games, and we are able to keep it going over a number of season past these 2. Ill be silently rooting for the Nuts until week!

Haha... Our feet are planted firmly on the ground. It's the Dawg fans that have a tendency to have delusions of grandeur.

Aguilafanatico
02-05-2014, 09:46 AM
GIVE ME A BREAK!
I have a unique perspective on Argyle as we came from a district where the workout facilities were nicer (and closer), the school was larger, with more economic and socioeconomic diversity. The places are different BUT the same opportunities were being afforded to the kids by the coaches to workout and get better. Weight room was opened early and kept open late. Track was available with coaches there to assist. Good youth programs. But when push came to shove, the kids were not taking advantage of any of it for the most part. There was a small group that were up early working and staying late running but it was a very small minority. Argyle IS DIFFERENT. ALL (or a large majority) of the kids are working. Not in November, they are working early and late in February. Not with personal trainers, together. Yes, having the means to afford personal training is an advantage but that is not the reason Argyle wins. It's the kids. They hold each other accountable, they work out together, they drive the underclassmen to the gym, they run outside when its cold. Its the kids. Parental support is important but that doesn't require money. It just requires that the parents buy into the program and provide support to the kids.
Ultimately, Coach Rodgers and his staff have created the culture and high expectations. They create a vision every year. They are organized, supportive and committed. Beyond the x's and o's, that is why they are one of the best coaching staffs in the state. If telling yourself that Argyle is better because they have more money, and it makes you sleep better then continue to do so. Meanwhile our rich kids will be working out together tonight in the barn, running on the track, and winning.

BLACK ATTACK
02-05-2014, 03:25 PM
GIVE ME A BREAK!
I have a unique perspective on Argyle as we came from a district where the workout facilities were nicer (and closer), the school was larger, with more economic and socioeconomic diversity. The places are different BUT the same opportunities were being afforded to the kids by the coaches to workout and get better. Weight room was opened early and kept open late. Track was available with coaches there to assist. Good youth programs. But when push came to shove, the kids were not taking advantage of any of it for the most part. There was a small group that were up early working and staying late running but it was a very small minority. Argyle IS DIFFERENT. ALL (or a large majority) of the kids are working. Not in November, they are working early and late in February. Not with personal trainers, together. Yes, having the means to afford personal training is an advantage but that is not the reason Argyle wins. It's the kids. They hold each other accountable, they work out together, they drive the underclassmen to the gym, they run outside when its cold. Its the kids. Parental support is important but that doesn't require money. It just requires that the parents buy into the program and provide support to the kids.
Ultimately, Coach Rodgers and his staff have created the culture and high expectations. They create a vision every year. They are organized, supportive and committed. Beyond the x's and o's, that is why they are one of the best coaching staffs in the state. If telling yourself that Argyle is better because they have more money, and it makes you sleep better then continue to do so. Meanwhile our rich kids will be working out together tonight in the barn, running on the track, and winning.

Amen

lostaussie
02-05-2014, 06:02 PM
I see we are back to playing the "poor Gilmer" card again:D

Buckeye80
02-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Not me. I live in Longview now! Yesterday I ate dinner AND supper!!

movethechain
02-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Not me. I live in Longview now! Yesterday I ate dinner AND supper!!

What's next? You gonna start using toilet paper and deodorant. Them Longview folks are gonna make you soft and useless.

bobcat1
02-05-2014, 09:54 PM
GIVE ME A BREAK!
:clap::clap::clap: Well said! It's the Johnnys and Joes.

buckeyebob
02-06-2014, 07:06 AM

Yep...I prefer "The Pity Card"...that way, you can sneak up on them

Aesculus gilmus
02-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Yep...I prefer "The Pity Card"...that way, you can sneak up on them

I combine both:
http://youtu.be/srpwqf2MWAw

44INAROW
02-06-2014, 10:31 AM
I combine both:
http://youtu.be/srpwqf2MWAw

great song :)

Buckeye80
02-06-2014, 10:07 PM
What's next? You gonna start using toilet paper and deodorant. Them Longview folks are gonna make you soft and useless.

Deodorant?? Is that some sorta confounded hair cream?

coach
02-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Mike Moses middle school.... Duh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk