PDA

View Full Version : Teams to look out for in the new 4a d1 and 4a d2

orange machine
01-29-2014, 11:09 PM
I've been thinking about this a little. I think d1 will be your usual subjects Sville, Carthage, ect.

D2 I think its obviously a little harder to predict. Other than Gilmer I think Tatum is gonna be a team to reckon with.

WOS87
01-30-2014, 06:00 AM
WOS has pretty much their entire defense coming back and a Sophomore QB who will be a Junior. Held Carthage to only 3 TD's in the Quarters last year so don't count us out in D2 :cool:

Old Tiger
01-30-2014, 06:04 AM
WOS has pretty much their entire defense coming back and a Sophomore QB who will be a Junior. Held Carthage to only 3 TD's in the Quarters last year so don't count us out in D2 :cool:

But but but the wind!

WOS87
01-30-2014, 06:05 AM
But but but the wind!

LOL which was mostly in THEIR favor! Those two 50 yard FG's wouldn't have happened without it.

Celina8
01-30-2014, 06:10 AM
Is LaMarque going D2 and if so will they be in the mix. Fairfield impressed me in the Title Game not sure how much they lose to graduation, but their Offensive Line was a major part of their success in my opinion. I agree WOS will be a region favorite to make it to the Semis this year, depends just like most team what the offensive line does. You can see that I base a lot of my opinion on the success of a team by the developement of their offensive line. I just think that is the key component for a successful season.

WOS87
01-30-2014, 06:13 AM
Is LaMarque going D2 and if so will they be in the mix. Fairfield impressed me in the Title Game not sure how much they lose to graduation, but their Offensive Line was a major part of their success in my opinion. I agree WOS will be a region favorite to make it to the Semis this year, depends just like most team what the offensive line does. You can see that I base a lot of my opinion on the success of a team by the developement of their offensive line. I just think that is the key component for a successful season.

Yes, LaMarque, LaGrange, Sinton, Cuero, Fairfield... ALL going D2

buckeyebob
01-30-2014, 07:22 AM
What about Celina, Wimberley, Giddings, Bridgeport, Gladewater? Could be a whole new mix.

Bleed orange
01-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Celina returns 7-8 starters on each side of the ball and will benefit from probably being in region 1 after this realignment . However, there will have to be a TON of improvement from last year to be considered a serious contender. At this point Id say the Div 2 title is Gilmer's to lose .

Aggie98
01-30-2014, 09:16 AM
WOS is going to be tough in D2. Gilmer will be Gilmer.

orange machine
01-30-2014, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=buckeyebob;1801511]What about Celina, Wimberley, Giddings, Bridgeport, Gladewater? Could be a whole new mix.[/QUOT

Let me have a shot at this and ill make some people upset, but its a sports board get over it! Celina has the talent with the kids they have returning question is will they be prepared????

waterboy
01-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Saying the D2 title is Gilmer's to lose is a bit much. They will definitely be in the mix, but they will still have to prove they belong. They lose a lot of players this year, including their QB. We do have a couple of good prospects for that position, though. It's some of the other holes that are a question mark. There's still a lot of perennial playoff teams, and a couple of newcomers that will make the road difficult for anybody to dominate D2.

FriskyBadger
01-30-2014, 10:38 AM
What about Celina, Wimberley, Giddings, Bridgeport, Gladewater? Could be a whole new mix.

Bridgeport will be very avg. for the next 3 years at least. 1st round maybe 2nd if they get lucky and catch someone bad.

orange machine
01-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Saying the D2 title is Gilmer's to lose is a bit much. They will definitely be in the mix, but they will still have to prove they belong. They lose a lot of players this year, including their QB. We do have a couple of good prospects for that position, though. It's some of the other holes that are a question mark. There's still a lot of perennial playoff teams, and a couple of newcomers that will make the road difficult for anybody to dominate D2.

The one thing yall have is a great coaching staff. Yall could have a bunch of dorks playing, but Traylor and staff would have them competing for the title.

buckeyebob
01-30-2014, 12:31 PM
The one thing yall have is a great coaching staff. Yall could have a bunch of dorks playing, but Traylor and staff would have them competing for the title.

We are very blessed to have Jeff & the Staff...they have been together for a long time & like wine & women, they get better with age...I come from the time where we wore paper sacks in the reserved seat section without reserved seat tickets...this past year, I had reserved seats after a 16 year wait.

rb585
01-30-2014, 12:31 PM

I'm afraid Wimberley has a couple of ugly years coming.

waterboy
01-30-2014, 12:37 PM
We are very blessed to have Jeff & the Staff...they have been together for a long time & like wine & women, they get better with age...I come from the time where we wore paper sacks in the reserved seat section without reserved seat tickets...this past year, I had reserved seats after a 16 year wait.

Yes, we are blessed. I didn't even attempt to get reserved seating before last year, and got them on my first try. Yay!

Aesculus gilmus
01-31-2014, 07:50 AM

I would be SHOCKED if Gilmer won state without an established QB and with STILL so many unanswered questions in the trenches.

The only thing IMO that has kept Gilmer from Carthage-style domination is this factor. The "skill players" are always capable of winning state. Just need a little help from the players with no skills. That label doesn't sound right, does it? :D

Aesculus gilmus
01-31-2014, 07:54 AM
I base a lot of my opinion on the success of a team by the development of their offensive line. I just think that is the key component for a successful season.

I read this after I posted what I just did. You are a wise observer, indeed. I would add D-line as well. A team that is not awesome in the trenches can put up impressive numbers statistically, but rarely will it win state.

waterboy
01-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Our Buckeyes are most definitely a talented group, but we are small, and have been for a number of years. Our biggest deficit has been on the defensive line. Because of our lack of beef, we have had a lot of trouble with teams that play smashmouth football. Our defense can make plays, but they get wore down eventually when the other team has a dominant O-line. Our O-line has been good, but not great. Inconsistent is probably a better description. A lot of that has to do with inexperience working as a group and lack of size. We need a nutritionist who knows how to get our boys bigger, without sacrificing quickness and speed.

maestro
01-31-2014, 09:08 AM
I visited with some Sweeny fans last night. They seem to think that each year in the slot t is going to be better and better.

Sweeny's upcoming personnel fit the offense.

SHSBulldog00
01-31-2014, 10:29 AM
I visited with some Sweeny fans last night. They seem to think that each year in the slot t is going to be better and better.

Sweeny's upcoming personnel fit the offense.

I like the way that sounds. I didn't want to say us but we do return like 7/9

Dawgs
01-31-2014, 10:40 AM
What does Fairfield bring back? They should be a force in D2.

Bleed orange
01-31-2014, 10:57 AM
What does Fairfield bring back? They should be a force in D2.
I don't know what they bring back but I know their stud RB is gone . If Im not mistaken I think they were a senior heavy team.

lynyrdskynyrd
01-31-2014, 12:17 PM
Fairfield is losing several seniors. However they have a soph RB that rushed for 1000 yds behind Rose. Two others will compliment him. Losing some SR's on the o-line, a safety, OLB's, and WR's. All that being said their backups played almost half of a game in every game except the SC. That's some pretty good experience to have coming back.

Celina8
01-31-2014, 01:25 PM
Don't count Argyle out of the mix. I bet come playoffs we are again talking about Arglye vs Gilmer Rematch V.

waterboy
01-31-2014, 01:40 PM
Don't count Argyle out of the mix. I bet come playoffs we are again talking about Arglye vs Gilmer Rematch V.

I doubt that... Argyle is D1 and Gilmer is D2..., right?

I wish you were right, though. I'd love the opportunity to even up the series. It's always a great game.

44INAROW
01-31-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm afraid Wimberley has a couple of ugly years coming.

been there, done that.. hope it goes by quickly.. cause it SUCKS :ack!:

Celina8
01-31-2014, 02:58 PM
I doubt that... Argyle is D1 and Gilmer is D2..., right?

I wish you were right, though. I'd love the opportunity to even up the series. It's always a great game.

I think Argyle will be D2 along with Celina.

Bleed orange
01-31-2014, 03:31 PM

Argyle is D1

waterboy
01-31-2014, 03:31 PM

Argyle will be D1, Celina will be D2, and with the new alignment breaking up the divisions before making up districts, there's no way Argyle will be D2. The format in the new 4A is totally different now.

Celina8
01-31-2014, 03:45 PM
I wonder if we will try and schedule them...I bet not!

Bleed orange
01-31-2014, 04:03 PM

To my surprise Im hearing they are on our predistrict schedule.

Bleed orange
01-31-2014, 04:17 PM

You can count on them scheduling a bunch of cupcakes though . Gotta pad those stats..

buckeyebob
01-31-2014, 05:12 PM
I would be SHOCKED if Gilmer won state without an established QB and with STILL so many unanswered questions in the trenches.

The only thing IMO that has kept Gilmer from Carthage-style domination is this factor. The "skill players" are always capable of winning state. Just need a little help from the players with no skills. That label doesn't sound right, does it? :D

Sounds fairly politically correct.

buckeyebob
01-31-2014, 05:17 PM
Argyle will be D1, Celina will be D2, and with the new alignment breaking up the divisions before making up districts, there's no way Argyle will be D2. The format in the new 4A is totally different now.

I wonder, knowing how the UIL doesn't always think as I do, could they change the numbers ever so slightly on Monday?

Bleed orange
01-31-2014, 05:41 PM
I wonder, knowing how the UIL doesn't always think as I do, could they change the numbers ever so slightly on Monday?

I don't see how as they've already released cutoff #'s and reported enrollments

orange machine
01-31-2014, 05:44 PM
You can count on them scheduling a bunch of cupcakes though . Gotta pad those stats..

I understand the schedule to be the following.

Dallas Roosevelt
Dallas Madison
Argyle Liberty Christian
Argyle Eagles
and a 5th game if needed.

The 1st three games Celina has played those teams within the last 3 years and destroyed them. Argyle has destroyed Celina the last 3 times they have played.

Whoever is in Celina' s district will be very weak except Melissa if they put them together. If your wanting wins you should get them. I'm happy they agreed to play Argyle cudos for that, but I still think there needs to be another tough game in predistrict.

toddg
01-31-2014, 06:29 PM

Dallas Roosevelt
Dallas Madison
Argyle Liberty Christian
Argyle Eagles

The 1st three games Celina has played those teams within the last 3 years and destroyed them. Argyle has destroyed Celina the last 3 times they have played.

Whoever is in Celina' s district will be very weak except Melissa if they put them together. If your wanting wins you should get them. I'm happy they agreed to play Argyle cudos for that, but I still think there needs to be another tough game in predistrict.
Celina should schedule Alvarado!

Bleed orange
01-31-2014, 06:39 PM

Dallas Roosevelt
Dallas Madison
Argyle Liberty Christian
Argyle Eagles

Not to offend anyone but playing the Dallas schools in football( 3a) is pointless unless you're just looking to pad stats. I also would've replaced Liberty with Prestonwood if you wanna play a private school. Playing cup cakes does you no good in the long run, but hey what'd we know .

Bleed orange
01-31-2014, 07:14 PM

How is Alvarado gonna be this year?

Celina8
01-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Actually there are several schools that Celina could probably play including Propser, Lovejoy, Denison, and Frisco. Everyone of those schools would love to have us on their schedule. Lets not forget Prestonwood, and TCA. If we could have just have one of those schools added as the 5th game I would be more than pleased.

Bleed orange
01-31-2014, 07:43 PM
Actually there are several schools that Celina could probably play including Propser, Lovejoy, Denison, and Frisco. Everyone of those schools would love to have us on their schedule. Lets not forget Prestonwood, and TCA. If we could have just have one of those schools added as the 5th game I would be more than pleased.

Don't hold your breath.. They're gonna schedule 8-9 for sure wins . Lovejoy, Prestonwood, Prosper don't fall into that category.

toddg
01-31-2014, 07:57 PM
How is Alvarado gonna be this year?

As with any team this early, there are some ?'s...next years Indian team will be very similar to our 2010 team...our LB core may be the best we've had..

cowboyandchrist
01-31-2014, 08:35 PM
I've been thinking about this a little. I think d1 will be your usual subjects Sville, Carthage, ect.

D2 I think its obviously a little harder to predict. Other than Gilmer I think Tatum is gonna be a team to reckon with.

You are right about Tatum. This is the year all the Tatum mites have been waiting for. The 2014-2015 juniors and seniors are loaded with speed, size, and strength. They will have 50 to 55 players and they can all play. Many NFL kids and kinfolk in this bunch. Will they learn to play as a team and get better as the year goes on, only time will tell. One thing I know for sure, they will not be out athlete.
Coach Evans is a great Christian man and coach, he has coached in three state championship games in a row and won two of them. They will be outstanding on defense and can flat out fly in the secondary. One corner back had 11 INT'S as a sophomore this year. NFL linebacker Travin Smith's son was an all state linebacker this year as a junior. It should be a fun year watching how they do.

orange machine
01-31-2014, 08:47 PM

Well I think like most other people that would be great but like has been stated it probably won't happen.

buckeyebob
01-31-2014, 10:06 PM
I don't see how as they've already released cutoff #'s and reported enrollments

It is the UIL.

buckeyebob
01-31-2014, 10:09 PM
Don't hold your breath.. They're gonna schedule 8-9 for sure wins . Lovejoy, Prestonwood, Prosper don't fall into that category.

How about an East Texas team? I am hoping Prestonwood signs another round with us...problem is, they have no visitor side...gotta bring a canvas chair

Bleed orange
01-31-2014, 10:34 PM
How about an East Texas team? I am hoping Prestonwood signs another round with us...problem is, they have no visitor side...gotta bring a canvas chair
If I was making the schedule for Celina they would play all the East Texas teams that arent in 4a div 2(Carthage, Kilgore, Daingerfield, etc) in non district. Personally, Id rather play the best competition, have a few non- district losses and be prepared for a long playoff run as opposed to having 10 hollow wins but we aren't on the same page as the powers that be.

orange machine
01-31-2014, 10:38 PM

Well they played LE the last two years, but that's not Gilmer or Carthage.

orange machine
01-31-2014, 10:49 PM
If I was making the schedule for Celina they would play all the East Texas teams that arent in 4a div 2(Carthage, Kilgore, Daingerfield, etc) in non district. Personally, Id rather play the best competition, have a few non- district losses and be prepared for a longyoff run as opposed to having 10 hollow wins but we aren't on the same page as the powers that be.

Here is my question, what does playing weak teams that your gonna destroy do for you? This is a serious question no bull, I just can't see how it helps you. On the flip side of that I can see where you don't want to play teams that are all top 5 teams because you need some confidence and wins. I think you need to play two games you should win and two games that are gonna push you to the limit and even beat you!

Bleed orange
01-31-2014, 10:58 PM
Here is my question, what does playing weak teams that your gonna destroy do for you? This is a serious question no bull, I just can't see how it helps you. On the flip side of that I can see where you don't want to play teams that are all top 5 teams because you need some confidence and wins. I think you need to play two games you should win and two games that are gonna push you to the limit and even beat you!

The problem is some people have a hard time accepting that a win over a weak team is just that.. Instead they think they're really doing something. Don't believe me?? Look at the social media

orange machine
01-31-2014, 11:04 PM
The problem is some people have a hard time accepting that a win over a weak team is just that.. Instead they think they're really doing something. Don't believe me?? Look at the social media

No I agree, I just can't see how anybody can feel good about destroying a bad team. If you play a top ranked team and get beat who cares it gives you something to actuallly work on right? If you play bad teams and beat on them you end up thinking your better than you are and tend not to work as hard.

Scoop27
02-01-2014, 12:02 AM
If indeed La Grange is going to DIV 2, they could be in a district with Columbus, Sealy, Wharton, Brookshire Royal and Sweeeny

WOS87
02-01-2014, 02:30 AM
If indeed La Grange is going to DIV 2, they could be in a district with Columbus, Sealy, Wharton, Brookshire Royal and Sweeeny

Then where would LaMarque go?

Twirling Time
02-01-2014, 02:31 AM
Prosper isn't in the same league as Celina or any other 3A powerhouse anymore. They have 300 kids in their football program and if they aren't 6A in two years, they'll be close.

Celina and Denison would be awesome. Denison isn't afraid to play strong smaller teams like Paris and Kennedale and they're playing Argyle the next four years. They'll probably be district rivals in four years in 4A Division I. Denison is shrinking.

buckeyebob
02-01-2014, 06:46 AM
I was in a meeting discussing pre-season with several other coaches...one had scheduled us for many years...said no more...in his tenure at the school, he had twenty losses, ten of them were to Gilmer...he was scheduling one that he was able to beat.

Bleed orange
02-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Prosper isn't in the same league as Celina or any other 3A powerhouse anymore. They have 300 kids in their football program and if they aren't 6A in two years, they'll be close.

Celina and Denison would be awesome. Denison isn't afraid to play strong smaller teams like Paris and Kennedale and they're playing Argyle the next four years. They'll probably be district rivals in four years in 4A Division I. Denison is shrinking.

Prosper has the kids but they aren't anything special unless your talking to someone from Prosper. As far as Denison, at this point they aren't s step up in competition for Celina. They got smashed by a very AVERAGE Paris team last year.

speedbump
02-01-2014, 09:07 AM

Sealy will go D1 probably in the same district with EC and them. Bellville would go in with Wharton.

orange machine
02-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Prosper has the kids but they aren't anything special unless your talking to someone from Prosper. As far as Denison, at this point they aren't s step up in competition for Celina. They got smashed by a very AVERAGE Paris team last year.

Denison will be much better this year.

orange machine
02-01-2014, 06:32 PM

Hey give me Denison over the inner city schools any day.

slingshot
02-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Don't laugh, but... keep an eye on Big Spring. Good coaching staff, good size and talent base, exellent returning dual threat QB, very good team speed--program on the upswing. They will surprise some people, hoping we play them pre-district. Would give me an excuse to eat at the Settles Hotel or at Al's BBQ!

toddg
02-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Don't laugh, but... keep an eye on Big Spring. Good coaching staff, good size and talent base, exellent returning dual threat QB, very good team speed--program on the upswing. They will surprise some people, hoping we play them pre-district. Would give me an excuse to eat at the Settles Hotel or at Al's BBQ!

Would be interesting to see who they play in non-district

maestro
02-01-2014, 09:26 PM

La Grange to Sweeny sub varsity travel?

Ouch

maestro
02-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Then where would LaMarque go?

With HISD schools??

OldBison75
02-01-2014, 11:11 PM
No one has mentioned Navasota yet, so I will. They may have lost all everything DL Jordon Wells, but they have a huge amount of talents coming back. Every skill position player that started will be back along with several lineman. Defensively, they have a lot of returning starters and several upcoming players that are pretty darn good.

Roughneck93
02-01-2014, 11:28 PM
No one has mentioned Navasota yet, so I will. They may have lost all everything DL Jordon Wells, but they have a huge amount of talents coming back. Every skill position player that started will be back along with several lineman. Defensively, they have a lot of returning starters and several upcoming players that are pretty darn good.

Navasota will be tough in 2014.

I read this in DCTF Winter Edition.....

"Rattlers racked up 5,200 yards of total offense in 2013; just 109 yards came from seniors"

Bleed orange
02-01-2014, 11:36 PM

They'll be division 1 correct??

Roughneck93
02-01-2014, 11:48 PM
DCTF threw out an early top 10 for next year....

1. Navasota
2. Stephenville
3. Gilmer
4. West Orange-Stark
5. Argyle
6. Sinton
7. Carthage
8. Coldspring
9. Kilgore
10. Celina

I'm assuming there be separate polls for D1 and D2 next year like the current 2A and 1A have?

SHSBulldog00
02-02-2014, 12:12 AM
La Grange to Sweeny sub varsity travel?

Ouch

2 hour drive for sub varsity games. Although a long distance it is not as far as what some teams currently travel. I would be shocked if La Grange and Sweeny wind up in the same district Monday.

cowboyandchrist
02-02-2014, 12:22 AM

1. Navasota
2. Stephenville
3. Gilmer
4. West Orange-Stark
5. Argyle
6. Sinton
7. Carthage
8. Coldspring
9. Kilgore
10. Celina

I'm assuming there be separate polls for D1 and D2 next year like the current 2A and 1A have?
I think they have number one correct, but I would put WOS number 2. They have one heck of a defense coming back. Remember I said it first, watch out for the smallest 4A DII in the state. The last time they were the smallest in the 3A classification, they won it all. Tatum may be the big surprise this year in DII. I would love for the Dawgs in DI and the Eagles in DII to go deep in 2014, they are only 16 miles apart.

toddg
02-02-2014, 01:01 AM

1. Navasota
2. Stephenville
3. Gilmer
4. West Orange-Stark
5. Argyle
6. Sinton
7. Carthage
8. Coldspring
9. Kilgore
10. Celina

Whew! That top 10 will change drastically by week 3...if not sooner..

bird_fan
02-02-2014, 02:14 AM
I think they have number one correct, but I would put WOS number 2. They have one heck of a defense coming back. Remember I said it first, watch out for the smallest 4A DII in the state. The last time they were the smallest in the 3A classification, they won it all. Tatum may be the big surprise this year in DII. I would love for the Dawgs in DI and the Eagles in DII to go deep in 2014, they are only 16 miles apart.
What do the DAWGS have coming back??

2muchOffense
02-02-2014, 03:27 AM
The Ville has some holes to fill. Not sure I would rank us number 2. We lost some major players on defense and need to revamp some spots on offense. Wr's need to step up this year. Stidham is great but he can't throw it to himself. We do have that stud Williams back for the next three years. Work to do!

Celina8
02-02-2014, 09:11 AM
The Ville is one of those teams that just reloads and I am sure they will be right in the mix of things come late November. Celina will get an early test with playing Argyle this preseason. We get the benefit of being ranked 10th based upon tradition, but we really need to show something this year or the consideration for such rankings in the future will be lost. Teams that I was so used to seeing in the mix just a few years back that are missing from the top ten rankings are Gidding, Wimberly, Liberty Hill, Cuero, Waco La Vega and lets not forget Brownwood, China Springs, and Gatesville. These are all excellent programs and just curious as to what their fans project for next year.

bird_fan
02-02-2014, 09:32 AM
I am a homer but dont over look El Campo. Many people always do

cowboyandchrist
02-02-2014, 09:36 AM

They will return a better defense, but they lost 10 srs on the offense. The O line will be young, but coach S will have them ready to carry on the tradition. They will be big and strong. The Q/B will be a good one, his uncle was the Dawg Q/B when the Dawgs played for the 4A state championship in 91. Blissit (wrong spelling) will be big and can run with a good arm. He will be a junior. The Dawgs will have two very good running backs, a senior and a junior. Good receiving core with tight ends playing a major roll this year. I believe the Dawgs can make a strong run in the playoffs. The new district should tell how well the Dawgs will play this year if they are thrown in with Kilgore, Chapel Hill, and Henderson.

cowboyandchrist
02-02-2014, 09:40 AM
I am a homer but dont over look El Campo. Many people always do

Believe me I will not over look them ever again. That loss broke my dream game of the Dawgs and the Ville.

refereedoc
02-02-2014, 09:41 AM
The Ville has some holes to fill. Not sure I would rank us number 2. We lost some major players on defense and need to revamp some spots on offense. Wr's need to step up this year. Stidham is great but he can't throw it to himself. We do have that stud Williams back for the next three years. Work to do!

Where you at any playoff games? They have the leading 2 WRs back, shouldn't be a problem, plus Kaegun is really good coming out of the backfield. Defense hopefully can tackle in space this year which was a real problem this last season.

Dawgs
02-02-2014, 09:59 AM

Not much...We are definitely not a top 10 team to start the season. It doesn't mean we won't be after the regular season, but I would imagine a year similar to 2011. We have some good players returning, but unproven in so many areas. We will have a good core group. Marquis Guinn TE / DE, Jarod McLin TE / DE, Gilbert Perez FB / DL, Bryian Bolton RB / S, and James Marshall LB. These will be our core group, and most I am sure will be 2 way starters. As you can see not too many players returning, and none of the OL or offensive skill players except for Bolton. He should be a stud RB. Its time for Surratt to mold another State Champion QB, as he has done with his last 4. I have heard from very reliable sources that we have a group entering the 9th grade this year that will have a chance to go back to back in 2016 & 2017. We could probably see some of these freshman on varsity this coming season. Guinn & McLin will be our next big time D1 recruits. They will both be juniors this coming season. We have 3 good QB coming up through the ranks. 1 will be a junior, 1 a sophomore, and 1 a freshman. It will be interesting to see who Surratt choses to be the next Champion, becasue those who have seen Carthage in the playoffs over the last 7 years understand that our offense runs thru the QB. In Surratt we trust!

Dawgs
02-02-2014, 10:12 AM

After the donkey stomp Kilgore put on the Ville, doesn't seem like yall lost too many players on defense! Didn't sound like yall had any players on that side of the ball! Boys better hit the weightroom. Championship still goes thru the East in D1 and D2!

Dawgs
02-02-2014, 10:21 AM

1. Navasota
2. Stephenville
3. Gilmer
4. West Orange-Stark
5. Argyle
6. Sinton
7. Carthage
8. Coldspring
9. Kilgore
10. Celina

IMO, WOS is the #1 team in 3a 2014 regardless of classification. Hands down best defense we saw, and return all of them I think. You know what they say, Defense wins Championships.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-02-2014, 10:43 AM

1. Navasota
2. Stephenville
3. Gilmer
4. West Orange-Stark
5. Argyle
6. Sinton
7. Carthage
8. Coldspring
9. Kilgore
10. Celina

I'm assuming there be separate polls for D1 and D2 next year like the current 2A and 1A have?Sinton returns around 8 on defense and around 6 on offense. Return about 7 receivers from last season so the passing game should be better, a lot of drop balls early in the season when they were more balanced. Qb Tyler Handson had over 2000 yds rushing and close to 2000 yds passing with a combine 50 TD. He'll have more help with Ethan Owens (so) and Colton Cohea (jr) much more involved in the offense. Sinton has to rebuild the offensive line though. Tyler Handson jr highlights from SoTxShowcase youtube page......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lOJcfKuTIk

2muchOffense
02-02-2014, 03:33 PM
First off, yes I was at every playoff game. Our wide recievers did struggle. Martin was good and so was Morrison. Our outside recievers struggled to create separation all year. Maybe we got a little spoiled by Gunter, but we need to improve in this area. Secondly, yes we struggled against the run this year. Don't sell these kids short. Our leaders had great careers as YellowJackets and have championship rings. Make no mistake we will be in he discussion at the end of the season. I was just pointing out it was a little early to rank is No 2 in the state.

refereedoc
02-02-2014, 04:04 PM
First off, yes I was at every playoff game. Our wide recievers did struggle. Martin was good and so was Morrison. Our outside recievers struggled to create separation all year. Maybe we got a little spoiled by Gunter, but we need to improve in this area. Secondly, yes we struggled against the run this year. Don't sell these kids short. Our leaders had great careers as YellowJackets and have championship rings. Make no mistake we will be in he discussion at the end of the season. I was just pointing out it was a little early to rank is No 2 in the state.

I agree with that . Too early to be that high with some of the additions we will have to make but we could be real good by the end of the regular season. We will not be very fast on the outside with the new WRs but they will have length and good hands.

Roughneck93
02-02-2014, 04:07 PM
IMO, WOS is the #1 team in 3a 2014 regardless of classification. Hands down best defense we saw, and return all of them I think. You know what they say, Defense wins Championships.

I like WO-S and Navasota as my top two teams heading into next season.

buckeyebob
02-02-2014, 05:53 PM
1. Navasota D1
2. Stephenville D1
3. Gilmer D2
4. West Orange-Stark D2
5. Argyle D1
6. Sinton D1
7. Carthage D1
8. Coldspring D2
9. Kilgore D1
10. Celina D2

It will be awhile & baseball is here & track is on the way...

orange machine
02-02-2014, 06:03 PM
How in the world they have Celina in the top 10 blows my mind. At what point do they stop going off past succsess because Celina has done nothing in the last 5 years especially last year.

Scoop27
02-02-2014, 07:23 PM
Wharton, Columbus and Sweeny will go D2

ccmom
02-03-2014, 12:01 AM
How in the world they have Celina in the top 10 blows my mind. At what point do they stop going off past succsess because Celina has done nothing in the last 5 years especially last year.

I was kinda wondering about that myself. Thought maybe they had some secret weapons coming up. I'm not knocking Celina at all...just surprised by the ranking.

Bleed orange
02-03-2014, 12:13 AM

After last years performance in all honesty they shouldn't be in the top 25.

orange machine
02-03-2014, 12:44 AM
After last years performance in all honesty they shouldn't be in the top 25.
Hate to say it but I agree.

orange machine
02-03-2014, 12:52 AM
I was kinda wondering about that myself. Thought maybe they had some secret weapons coming up. I'm not knocking Celina at all...just surprised by the ranking.

Celina has some very good talented athletes and a lot of returning players, but that's just part of the equation. As far as secrete weapons, no secrete weapons but good athletes that can do great things if coached up.

WOS87
02-03-2014, 03:11 AM
Celina has some very good talented athletes and a lot of returning players, but that's just part of the equation. As far as secrete weapons, no secrete weapons but good athletes that can do great things if coached up.

The pollsters tend to vote for the consistent programs... take it as a compliment and chances are you will prove them right. Has nothing to do with the real dynamics of an actual season but I've done studies and preseason rankings tend to be more accurate than post season rankings in regards to actual State Championship results.

Leopard4Life
02-03-2014, 05:14 PM

Box Score Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final
Denison 0 7 0 6 13
Paris 13 7 0 2 22

22-13 isn't smashed. Looks like they got down early and didn't recover. Denison made some personnel changes when district started and they did very well. They lost a player at the end of the year and fizzled out, but they do have some talented athletes.

BullDawgDad
02-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Burnet should field another strong team this next season. They should make a deep run in Division I Region 4. Burnet's offense returns seven starters including all but one starting wide receiver & 4 out of 5 starting offensive linemen. New junior quarterback led the JV squad to a 10-0 record.
The defense returns six starters led by senior middle linebacker Kody Hall who was an 2013 All State & All Cen-Tex selection as well as District Defensive MVP. With some quality move ups from a strong JV team Burnet should be a heavy favorite for a District championship in 2014/2015.

ctown81
02-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Not much...We are definitely not a top 10 team to start the season. It doesn't mean we won't be after the regular season, but I would imagine a year similar to 2011. We have some good players returning, but unproven in so many areas. We will have a good core group. Marquis Guinn TE / DE, Jarod McLin TE / DE, Gilbert Perez FB / DL, Bryian Bolton RB / S, and James Marshall LB. These will be our core group, and most I am sure will be 2 way starters. As you can see not too many players returning, and none of the OL or offensive skill players except for Bolton. He should be a stud RB. Its time for Surratt to mold another State Champion QB, as he has done with his last 4. I have heard from very reliable sources that we have a group entering the 9th grade this year that will have a chance to go back to back in 2016 & 2017. We could probably see some of these freshman on varsity this coming season. Guinn & McLin will be our next big time D1 recruits. They will both be juniors this coming season. We have 3 good QB coming up through the ranks. 1 will be a junior, 1 a sophomore, and 1 a freshman. It will be interesting to see who Surratt choses to be the next Champion, becasue those who have seen Carthage in the playoffs over the last 7 years understand that our offense runs thru the QB. In Surratt we trust!

I've heard about this freshmen group coming up. I hear they are special and we should expect them to make a back to back run.

YTBulldogs
02-04-2014, 04:30 PM
I'll give our district foe some :2thumbsup.

Sinton (D15, Div 2) will have what it takes to win region 4, and make it to Jerry's World two weeks later IMO. Could of this year, but--red hot Fairfield team, had a career year. Numerous players return, including QB, Mr. Handson.

lynyrdskynyrd
02-05-2014, 08:40 PM
No offense against Sinton. They will have a good shot at getting to the semi's again. But, if they want to make it to Jerry World they had better get a lot more physical. Jmo. Fire away. I'm sure I've got it coming.

panfan
02-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Burnet should field another strong team this next season. They should make a deep run in Division I Region 4. Burnet's offense returns seven starters including all but one starting wide receiver & 4 out of 5 starting offensive linemen. New junior quarterback led the JV squad to a 10-0 record.
The defense returns six starters led by senior middle linebacker Kody Hall who was an 2013 All State & All Cen-Tex selection as well as District Defensive MVP. With some quality move ups from a strong JV team Burnet should be a heavy favorite for a District championship in 2014/2015.

I have no doubt that Burnet will take their district next season. However, the road to a longer playoff run goes straight through the Hill, We'll be waiting for ya'll. :evillol:

pirate4state
02-06-2014, 02:18 PM

I heard we almost had a Sinton/WOS match-up. Wouldn't THAT have been fun!?!?! I was bummed to hear travel couldn't be worked out :( Good luck to my friends in WOS this year!

Sweetwater Red
02-06-2014, 03:11 PM
I heard we almost had a Sinton/WOS match-up. Wouldn't THAT have been fun!?!?! I was bummed to hear travel couldn't be worked out :( Good luck to my friends in WOS this year!

We almost played WOS back in 1987 but it wasn't during the regular season. :dispntd:

1987 4A State Playoffs

BI-DISTRICT: Canyon 34, Monahans 7
Brownwood 10, Wichita Falls Hirschi 6
Sweetwater 42, Borger 14
Vernon 12,,Everman 3
Allen 21, Dallas Hillcrest 19
Kilgore 9, Wilmer-Hutchins 2
Rockwall 31, Seagoville 13
Ennis 9, Henderson 7
Houston King 22, Waco Midway 0
West Orange-Stark 33, Wharton 0
Tomball 23, Taylor 13
West Columbia 28, Jasper 6
Schertz Clemens 35, Alamo Heights 6
Gregory-Portland 30, Edcouch-Elsa 13
Kerrville 21, Uvalde 20
Calallen 26, Raymondville 8

REGIONALS: Canyon 42, Brownwood 22
Sweetwater 22, Vernon 14
Kilgore 49, Allen 6
Rockwall 41, Ennis 6
West Orange-Stark 27, Houston King 13
West Columbia 32, Tomball 12
Schertz Clemens 35, Gregory-Portland 7
Kerrville 35, Calallen 6

QUARTERFINALS: Sweetwater 35, Canyon 14
Rockwall 34, Kilgore 21
West Orange-Stark 30, West Columbia 7
Kerrville 27, Schertz Clemens 7

SEMIFINALS: Rockwall 13, Sweetwater 6
West Orange-Stark 21, Kerrville 7

FINALS: West Orange-Stark 17, Rockwall 7

Cam
02-06-2014, 03:35 PM
I have no doubt that Burnet will take their district next season. However, the road to a longer playoff run goes straight through the Hill, We'll be waiting for ya'll. :evillol:

sorry Barney...uhh...I mean panfan.....Region 4 belongs to us!!..:taunt:

Aggie98
02-06-2014, 03:47 PM
1987 4A State

REGIONALS:
Kilgore 49, Allen 6

Allen don't want none. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirate4state
02-06-2014, 03:50 PM
No offense against Sinton. They will have a good shot at getting to the semi's again. But, if they want to make it to Jerry World they had better get a lot more physical. Jmo. Fire away. I'm sure I've got it coming.

I'll make sure and pass that along :)

SintonFan_inAustin
02-06-2014, 07:26 PM

I would had like if that went through and both games were in Orange :)

is the stadium in Orange?