PDA

View Full Version : Frisco Lone Star 90 Celina 24

Celina8
01-25-2014, 12:28 PM
I am starting to think we need to make some very drastic changes to Boys atheletic program. There is no effort to have a competitive Boys Basketball team here at Celina which is just ashame. There are three sport season that is emphasized Football, Offseason and Baseball season. I look at Argyle and they seem to do it all and do it exceptionally well even cross crounty....We are community that is going to grow there is no if ands or buts about that. We will be 4A probably within 10 years which actually is a pretty short time frame. I guess I am just frustrated as last nights game was awful.

YTBulldogs
01-25-2014, 01:22 PM
I am starting to think we need to make some very drastic changes to Boys atheletic program. There is no effort to have a competitive Boys Basketball team here at Celina which is just ashame. There are three sport season that is emphasized Football, Offseason and Baseball season. I look at Argyle and they seem to do it all and do it exceptionally well even cross crounty....We are community that is going to grow there is no if ands or buts about that. We will be 4A probably within 10 years which actually is a pretty short time frame. I guess I am just frustrated as last nights game was awful.

I bet your 4A quicker than 10 years.

Additup
01-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Don't forget track & field. Y'all are great in track & field. I'll play along though. What "very drastic changes" do you think will help? I imagine most Celina kids play multiple sports. Can you tell me how many members of the team are basketball only?

marler1972
01-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Argyle's basketball team is made up of mostly kids that play basketball only. Ok so the basketball team is not good and they have not been for a long time. The boys here don't want to play basketball you can not make them play, they are gearing up for track and baseball. I know my son can play basketball but he does not want to play, but this year he could not play even if he wanted to due to having surgery. Last nights game was ugly but if I am not mistaken Lone Star beat argyle by 20, lone star has around 1500 kids and they only have one football player playing basketball. It is what it is as far as basketball all our other sports are very competitive.

marler1972
01-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Don't forget track & field. Y'all are great in track & field. I'll play along though. What "very drastic changes" do you think will help? I imagine most Celina kids play multiple sports. Can you tell me how many members of the team are basketball only?

Not many, here is the makeup of the team, 2-3 jrs and the rest are sophs, freshman, no sr's

Celina8
01-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Argyle's basketball team is made up of mostly kids that play basketball only. Ok so the basketball team is not good and they have not been for a long time. The boys here don't want to play basketball you can not make them play, they are gearing up for track and baseball. I know my son can play basketball but he does not want to play, but this year he could not play even if he wanted to due to having surgery. Last nights game was ugly but if I am not mistaken Lone Star beat argyle by 20, lone star has around 1500 kids and they only have one football player playing basketball. It is what it is as far as basketball all our other sports are very competitive.

It is the responsibility for the Athletic Director to grow that interest. I am sorry but Bill just could care less about Basketball and that is not good if you are the Athletic Director for the School District. He will not hire a Basketball Coach as he does not want anyone to take away from his offseason program. He hires a football Coach that he knows he can tell them they will have to also Coach Basketball and they treat that assignment as a joke. You can get the kids to play by working harder to develope the Basketball program and making it something that the kids want to participate in. If the Athletic Director can care less about it though, then it does not have a chance.

marler1972
01-25-2014, 03:06 PM
It is the responsibility for the Athletic Director to grow that interest. I am sorry but Bill just could care less about Basketball and that is not good if you are the Athletic Director for the School District. He will not hire a Basketball Coach as he does not want anyone to take away from his offseason program. He hires a football Coach that he knows he can tell them they will have to also Coach Basketball and they treat that assignment as a joke. You can get the kids to play by working harder to develope the Basketball program and making it something that the kids want to participate in. If the Athletic Director can care less about it though, then it does not have a chance.
Do you know for a fact that he has not tried to hire a basketball coach?

Celina8
01-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Do you know for a fact that he has not tried to hire a basketball coach?

Let me throw it back at you what proof do you have that he actually has tried to get a basketball coach here. I can tell you that when Bill was hired as the Athletic Director, he got several good Basketball Coaches who applied, but he chose not to interview any of them and that came from Pat Hunn. When I asked why he just said Bill is not interested in Basketball. Look at the state of the basketball program for the boys....You have to put some effort as an Athletic Director to build all the programs. You have to go out and find that Coach that is what an Athletic Director does.

marler1972
01-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Yes I know this past summer they offered but he chose not to take it. Instead of asking and taking others word ask Bill himself about it. Just my opinion.

Tricky
01-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Defending any PROGRAM that only scores 24 points in a boys basketball game is laughable. Just my opinion.

marler1972
01-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Supporting the Athletic program as a whole is not laughable. Do they next to fix a couple things in the boys basketball program yes. If you look at Celina's athletic program as a whole (boys and girls) we do very well.

Additup
01-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Defending any PROGRAM that only scores 24 points in a boys basketball game is laughable. Just my opinion.

Doesn't sound like too many athletes play basketball. An athlete can find a way to score 24 points in a blowout.

XMan
01-25-2014, 06:39 PM
The one guy hit it on the head about the guy at the top having to care. It is going to take a multitude of parents/community people to march into his office and let him know that there are lots of people in town that think its important. If you cant round those people up, you got no chance. I know nothing about Celina but Id guess that you have a hfc/ad. He needs to be reminded that athletic director means ALL sports, not just fball. It may be that the community of Celina just doesn't have enough people who care about basketball and they would rather just win in football. There are lots of places like that.

Send_the_House
01-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Why not go talk to him. You would have more success that way then randomly posting on a message board...

Celina8
01-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Yes I know this past summer they offered but he chose not to take it. Instead of asking and taking others word ask Bill himself about it. Just my opinion.

First off there have been a few of us who asked Bill when or we going to get a Basketball Coach and a basketball program. He laughed and said we already do with the Girls...Then he laughed and walked away. He is not interested and that is frustrating. The one Coach he offerred this summer will tell you and I mean you can call and talk with him about it, that Bill did more to talk him out of taking the job then trying to convince him to take the job. Bill offerred one guy the job, then he was done and he told Dusty that your now the basketball coach. The year before it was Aarron Ford, they all hate doing it and they pass it on to the low man. Next year it will be probably John Clark or Nathane Tune as they are all young assistants on the football team that played for Bill and will follow the same path that we continue on. Go get a Basketball Guy and not a football guy that is forced to Coach Basketball.

Additup
01-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Until you get over 1800+ students, the athletes need to play multiple sports if your entire athletic progam is going to be successful. Specialization kills small school athletic success - even football specialization. It sounds like your athletes aren't specializing but they aren't playing basketball either.

Pick6
01-25-2014, 09:35 PM
1A Collinsville even beat Celina in basketball

regaleagle
01-25-2014, 10:52 PM
BTW, Argyle's leading scorer on the basketball team was our starting tight end on the football team, soph JC Chalk. We have a couple of players on the basketball team that played on the football team...even though the team consists of only 10 players. When you go deep in the playoffs, it usually hurts the team for awhile if one or two of those guys are late getting going in the basketball season. But making the playoffs in basketball is the main thing....then it's whole new season. I think the Argyle boys are somewhat behind the 8-ball this season compared to most years at this juncture in the basketball season. Also the team is young and needs some seasoning. They are still formidable, but just not as good as a more seasoned team that you usually need to go very deep in the playoffs. It really doesn't matter in basketball what the enrollment numbers are for a school.....all you really need is about 5 good players and 2 very good ones.

3 and out
01-25-2014, 10:57 PM
First off there have been a few of us who asked Bill when or we going to get a Basketball Coach and a basketball program. He laughed and said we already do with the Girls...Then he laughed and walked away. He is not interested and that is frustrating. The one Coach he offerred this summer will tell you and I mean you can call and talk with him about it, that Bill did more to talk him out of taking the job then trying to convince him to take the job. Bill offerred one guy the job, then he was done and he told Dusty that your now the basketball coach. The year before it was Aarron Ford, they all hate doing it and they pass it on to the low man. Next year it will be probably John Clark or Nathane Tune as they are all young assistants on the football team that played for Bill and will follow the same path that we continue on. Go get a Basketball Guy and not a football guy that is forced to Coach Basketball.

If you knew as much about the athletic program as you say that you do, you would know that CoachTune is coaching at Denton High now.

bobcat1
01-25-2014, 11:05 PM
If you knew as much about the athletic program as you say that you do, you would know that CoachTune is coaching at Denton High now.:clap:

3 and out
01-25-2014, 11:15 PM

Also, Aaron Ford was never the head basketball coach!!

Aggie98
01-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Kilgore used to be the same way....... The football coach who was in charge of doing the laundry on Friday nights was also the head roundball coach..... and football players were discouraged from playing basketball. We hired a bonified basketball coach in 2011 and low and behold we made the playoffs for the first time in 25 yrs...... and went 3 rds deep. The next year.... 4 rds deep. This year..... running away with the district title and on a pace for another deep run. And almost all of them were playing football on 12/20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orange machine
01-26-2014, 04:26 AM
Basketball what is that???

Dawgs
01-26-2014, 06:09 AM
Kilgore used to be the same way....... The football coach who was in charge of doing the laundry on Friday nights was also the head roundball coach..... and football players were discouraged from playing basketball. We hired a bonified basketball coach in 2011 and low and behold we made the playoffs for the first time in 25 yrs...... and went 3 rds deep. The next year.... 4 rds deep. This year..... running away with the district title and on a pace for another deep run. And almost all of them were playing football on 12/20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish Carthage would follow yalls lead, and hire a basketball coach. We are terrible! I am by no means complaining about the money spent on football, but you would think we could shell out some money for a legit b-ball coach. A school Carthage size would almost have to have football players playing b-ball, but with all the athletes we have I don't understand how we are never any good. Ur telling me O'Kerrion Rutherford and Tee Goree aren't any good at basketball? Sophmore TE and DE can't bang in the paint? I just can't believe that. I guess after playing football in December every year, there is just not enough room. Carthage is lucky enough to be top 10 in Football and Baseball every year, so I guess thats enough. Speaking of that our baseball teams are usually made up mostly of "only" baseball players. Every year we have a few kids that play both, but not many.

Celina8
01-26-2014, 10:27 AM
If you knew as much about the athletic program as you say that you do, you would know that CoachTune is coaching at Denton High now.

Coaching Staff

BOYS COACHES GIRLS COACHES
Bill Elliott-A.D./Head Football Billy Coleman-Girls Coord/Head SB/VB

Troy Davis-HS Boys Coord, FB Off Coord, Loretta Francis-MS Girls Coordinator
MS Boys Coord, Head Pwrlifting
Jordan Davis-Head Girls Basketball
Aaron Ford-FB Def Coor, JV Coord, Head
Track/Strength&Conditioning Ramona Thiel

James Evans-Head Baseball Tim Moore-Head CC/Girls Track

Gene Crook Judy Roos

Rick Jones Bobby Stastny

Dusty Hutson-Head Boys Basketball Amy Triest

Jake Davis Kary Davis

Heath Herron

John Clark

Josh Sharrock

Nathan Tune

Greg Sherwood

Amos Davidson

Kyle Sheridan-Athletic Trainer

Cindy Sharrock-Athletic Secretary

They still have him listed on the Celina ISD website, does not matter...the main point of the entire thread is the Boys Basketball program is in horrible shape. I personally fee Bill just is not that concerned about it. That is a problem because as the Athletic Director he is the Key component that can determine the success or failure of that program. Let me just ask those that are posting from Celina are you pleased with the Boys Basketball program and the lack of participation from most of our Athletes. I remember a time that Celina was very good in Basketball, and the stands would be full and that was when there was 118 in the high school. Yes, I am an old man who remembers when Donnie and Ronnie O'dell played. Am I wrong to say that the Athletic Director needs to address the issues with the Boys Basketball program, and for those that say how do you know he hasn't then tell me what those things might be.

rb585
01-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Until you get over 1800+ students, the athletes need to play multiple sports if your entire athletic progam is going to be successful. Specialization kills small school athletic success - even football specialization. It sounds like your athletes aren't specializing but they aren't playing basketball either.

This right here.

There ought to be a limit to how much "offseason" you can do in athletics.

I can understand some/many football players not playing basketball, but it's ridiculous that kids are allowed to play football, and then take nothing but offseason the rest of the school year. Same for girls and volleyball.

IIRC, Fredericksburg has basically taken this on. They have no offseason in the fall -- if you're in athletics and you're not playing football or volleyball, you have to run cross country, and same thing with baseball/softball and track in the spring.

nt7on7
01-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Coaching Staff

BOYS COACHES GIRLS COACHES
Bill Elliott-A.D./Head Football Billy Coleman-Girls Coord/Head SB/VB

Troy Davis-HS Boys Coord, FB Off Coord, Loretta Francis-MS Girls Coordinator
MS Boys Coord, Head Pwrlifting
Jordan Davis-Head Girls Basketball
Aaron Ford-FB Def Coor, JV Coord, Head
Track/Strength&Conditioning Ramona Thiel

James Evans-Head Baseball Tim Moore-Head CC/Girls Track

Gene Crook Judy Roos

Rick Jones Bobby Stastny

Dusty Hutson-Head Boys Basketball Amy Triest

Jake Davis Kary Davis

Heath Herron

John Clark

Josh Sharrock

Nathan Tune

Greg Sherwood

Amos Davidson

Kyle Sheridan-Athletic Trainer

Cindy Sharrock-Athletic Secretary

They still have him listed on the Celina ISD website, does not matter...the main point of the entire thread is the Boys Basketball program is in horrible shape. I personally fee Bill just is not that concerned about it. That is a problem because as the Athletic Director he is the Key component that can determine the success or failure of that program. Let me just ask those that are posting from Celina are you pleased with the Boys Basketball program and the lack of participation from most of our Athletes. I remember a time that Celina was very good in Basketball, and the stands would be full and that was when there was 118 in the high school. Yes, I am an old man who remembers when Donnie and Ronnie O'dell played. Am I wrong to say that the Athletic Director needs to address the issues with the Boys Basketball program, and for those that say how do you know he hasn't then tell me what those things might be.

You could bring in Bob Knight and Pat Summit's love child as head coach, and it wouldn't change the fact that you are going to get your brains beat in by good teams without a sophomore, one junior that really plays, and the rest are sophomores and freshmen. Next year, you will probably have the same story, because most of this year's sophomore class is already saying they aren't playing next year. If Celina is this bad, and they are, what does it say about Aubrey, whom Celina beat?

Lone Star has almost 1000 more kids than Celina. They are more than double Celina's size. They are closer to metro areas where they could get their kids to AAU practices if they want, and they have the financial resources to do so. They are good. 90-24 sucks. It does. But you aren't going to win that game if you played 10K times.

orange machine
01-26-2014, 11:57 AM
You could bring in Bob Knight and Pat Summit's love child as head coach, and it wouldn't change the fact that you are going to get your brains beat in by good teams without a sophomore, one junior that really plays, and the rest are sophomores and freshmen. Next year, you will probably have the same story, because most of this year's sophomore class is already saying they aren't playing next year. If Celina is this bad, and they are, what does it say about Aubrey, whom Celina beat?

Lone Star has almost 1000 more kids than Celina. They are more than double Celina's size. They are closer to metro areas where they could get their kids to AAU practices if they want, and they have the financial resources to do so. They are good. 90-24 sucks. It does. But you aren't going to win that game if you played 10K times.

I totally see what your saying, but I remember a time not to long ago where the attitude in Celina was I don't care who the other team is we are gonna kick their butt! Where has that attitude gone and why did it leave?

Celina8
01-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Just like with football, you have to build the program back up and it takes work, effort, motivation, you have to get the kids to want to participate. The Athletic Director/Head Coach holds a lot of sway with these young people. We have over 120 kids participate in Football each fall, and Bill should and is credit for that participation, he works hard to build that interest into the Kids and the Community. I am sorry as Athletic Director he carries the responsibility to build any athletic program that has fallen. The Boys Basketball program has fallen, and the current state of the Basketball program with kids not wanting to participate, shows that it is dying...I just want Bill to get in there, roll up his sleeves and bring some life back to a dying program.

XMan
01-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Most small school hfc/ads love for their kids to specialize, as long as they specialize in football. Many feel that there are two types of activities in life: Those that make you a better football player, (offseason, track, powerlifting, 7 on 7) and those that get in the way of football. (baseball, basketball, girls, trucks) Those that get in the way of football should therefore be squashed. Why did the legendary Gordon Wood not allow baseball at Brownwood High? Spring is for spring football, not baseball.

Bleed orange
01-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Don't worry the football program will be on the same level in the next couple years. The entire boys program is trending in the wrong direction. Bill is a great guy, great role model, was a good coordinator but has yet to show he's got it as a head coach.

orange machine
01-26-2014, 06:58 PM
:1popcorn:

Celina8
01-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Don't worry the football program will be on the same level in the next couple years. The entire boys program is trending in the wrong direction. Bill is a great guy, great role model, was a good coordinator but has yet to show he's got it as a head coach.

This post is not about that type of conversation. It is about the Basketball program and building that program up and the Athletic Director has to be a part of that conversation.

Bleed orange
01-26-2014, 07:28 PM
The point of my post is that its not only the basketball program . The entire boys athletic department has become COMPLACENT.

Matthew328
01-27-2014, 08:50 AM
The point of my post is that its not only the basketball program . The entire boys athletic department has become COMPLACENT.

IMO at a 3A school the head basketball coach should not be coaching football....if Celina's hoops coach is also having to coach football that's an issue right there.....seasons bump into each other need some seperation there with your top guy in that sport.

Old Tiger
01-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Celina should recruit harder and get them boys back on the juice.

caleb_mccaig
01-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Celina should recruit harder and get them boys back on the juice.

I think school's being good at multiple sports is just a luck of the draw. When I was in high school we were very competitive and successful at football but that was pretty much it on the boys side. We never made playoffs in basketball, partly because we were somewhat pressured into picking one sports which almost everyone chose football, we sucked at track and baseball was always supposed to be good but always choked. However, obviously if your AD focuses on other sports more than others then the ones garnering more attention will have a higher percent of success.

I always somewhat considered Celina and China Spring to be somewhat identical school districts regarding demographics so this doesn't surprise me a ton.

nt7on7
01-27-2014, 11:06 AM
I totally see what your saying, but I remember a time not to long ago where the attitude in Celina was I don't care who the other team is we are gonna kick their butt! Where has that attitude gone and why did it leave?

Well, I hate to sound like a smartass, but sometimes the other team has something to say about it, too. I'm sure the desire is still there to beat other teams, but talented squads will beat the desirous squads 8 times out of 10.

This isn't something new...

2003-2004
Howe 81 - Celina 50
Vernon 80 - Celina 49

2005-2006
Decatur 88 - Celina 54

2006-2007
Sanger 73 - Celina 25
Caddo Mills 81 - Celina 21
Denison 97 - Celina 38
Pilot Point 78 - Celina 37

2007-2008
Princeton 93 - Celina 14
Wakeland 71 - Celina 39
Princeton 95 - Celina 52
VA 62 - Celina 36
Wakeland 90 - Celina 40

2008-2009
Prosper 89 - Celina 41
Argyle 78 - Celina 27
Gainesville 72 - Celina 39
Whitesboro 70 - Celina 37

2009-2010
Argyle 96 - Celina 33
Prosper 86 - Celina 49

I think there is a lot of selective memory going on here. If it's been a problem since before Dusty and before Coach Elliott was AD, then I don't see how you can lay this at their feet.

marler1972
01-27-2014, 11:19 AM
I think school's being good at multiple sports is just a luck of the draw. When I was in high school we were very competitive and successful at football but that was pretty much it on the boys side. We never made playoffs in basketball, partly because we were somewhat pressured into picking one sports which almost everyone chose football, we sucked at track and baseball was always supposed to be good but always choked. However, obviously if your AD focuses on other sports more than others then the ones garnering more attention will have a higher percent of success.

I always somewhat considered Celina and China Spring to be somewhat identical school districts regarding demographics so this doesn't surprise me a ton.

Only Difference is our track is real good and baseball is competitive.

marler1972
01-27-2014, 11:20 AM
IMO at a 3A school the head basketball coach should not be coaching football....if Celina's hoops coach is also having to coach football that's an issue right there.....seasons bump into each other need some seperation there with your top guy in that sport.

Matt do you know by chance how many schools in 3a have Basketball only coaches? I have know idea.

Matthew328
01-27-2014, 11:50 AM
Matt do you know by chance how many schools in 3a have Basketball only coaches? I have know idea.

I dont have any idea either since I dont follow basketball nearly as close as football...

orange machine
01-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Well, I hate to sound like a smartass, but sometimes the other team has something to say about it, too. I'm sure the desire is still there to beat other teams, but talented squads will beat the desirous squads 8 times out of 10.

2003-2004i
Howe 81 - Celina 50
Vernon 80 - Celina 49

2005-2006
Decatur 88 - Celina 54

2006-2007
Sanger 73 - Celina 25
Denison 97 - Celina 38

2007-2008
Princeton 93 - Celina 14
Wakeland 71 - Celina 39
Princeton 95 - Celina 52
VA 62 - Celina 36
Wakeland 90 - Celina 40

2008-2009
Prosper 89 - Celina 41
Argyle 78 - Celina 27

2009-2010
Argyle 96 - Celina 33
Prosper 86 - Celina 49

I think there is a lot of selective memory going on here. If it's been a problem since before Dusty and before Coach Elliott was AD, then I don't see how you can lay this at their feet.

Good point.

bobcat1
01-27-2014, 12:56 PM

2003-2004
Howe 81 - Celina 50
Vernon 80 - Celina 49

2005-2006
Decatur 88 - Celina 54

2006-2007
Sanger 73 - Celina 25
Denison 97 - Celina 38

2007-2008
Princeton 93 - Celina 14
Wakeland 71 - Celina 39
Princeton 95 - Celina 52
VA 62 - Celina 36
Wakeland 90 - Celina 40

2008-2009
Prosper 89 - Celina 41
Argyle 78 - Celina 27

2009-2010
Argyle 96 - Celina 33
Prosper 86 - Celina 49

:spitlol:Now don't start throwing facts into this discussion.;)

:wave: How ya been?

marler1972
01-27-2014, 01:01 PM
If you think about it this year they have improved from the previous two seasons. They won a district game (Aubrey). They also have won a few non-district games. :crazy1:

nt7on7
01-27-2014, 03:38 PM
If you think about it this year they have improved from the previous two seasons. They won a district game (Aubrey). They also have won a few non-district games. :crazy1:

And they have improved without the help of a senior class.

Bleed orange
01-27-2014, 06:22 PM
If we're measuring ourselves against Aubrey that in itself could be the problem.

marler1972
01-27-2014, 06:43 PM
well being that they beat us twice last year yes. but only in basketball.

Celina8
01-27-2014, 06:48 PM
If we're measuring ourselves against Aubrey that in itself could be the problem.

I will agree with that statement. Hopefully enough people will demand more than the current status quo for the Basketball program which will then provide the push that is needed to get the program moving in the right direction.

marler1972
01-27-2014, 06:56 PM
I will agree with that statement. Hopefully enough people will demand more than the current status quo for the Basketball program which will then provide the push that is needed to get the program moving in the right direction.

I was not measuring against anyone I was just stating a fact that the Basketball team has improved with what they have on the court this year. I believe they won only a couple games last year. The good thing is track is fixing to gear up and I hope Back to Back State Championships is good for you. Oh and our baseball team returns a good bunch of kids that should make a good run, But our Athletic program is on the decline. Hey do I agree with everything that goes on? No I dont but I support the program and all the Boys and Girls Teams.

Celina8
01-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Marler,

I am very proud of the track team, but don't you want that excellence also to extend to the Basketball program. I just know we can do better than what the current program provides.

marler1972
01-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Marler,

I am very proud of the track team, but don't you want that excellence also to extend to the Basketball program. I just know we can do better than what the current program provides.

Like I said I support the entire program, do I agree with everything no. Do I think we could have alot better basketball team than what we have , yes I do if some of the other boys came out we would be pretty salty but the fact is most of those boys are getting ready to compete in track and baseball. Basketball just so happens to fall between Football and track/baseball.

We were pretty beat up this year with all the injuries in football and alot of the boys that were beat up/hurt would have been the boys that could have played basketball.

Bleed orange
01-27-2014, 07:34 PM
I was not measuring against anyone I was just stating a fact that the Basketball team has improved with what they have on the court this year. I believe they won only a couple games last year. The good thing is track is fixing to gear up and I hope Back to Back State Championships is good for you. Oh and our baseball team returns a good bunch of kids that should make a good run, But our Athletic program is on the decline. Hey do I agree with everything that goes on? No I dont but I support the program and all the Boys and Girls Teams.

I too am elated with the track titles but at the same time has that track success carried over onto the football field?? In most instances that would be the case. At this point I would say that the girls program is in alot better shape than the boys.

Bleed orange
01-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Speaking of football anybody heard any word on opponents for the non district schedule ??

marler1972
01-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Speaking of football anybody heard any word on opponents for the non district schedule ??

Check ur pm

gatordaze
01-28-2014, 09:49 AM
I too am elated with the track titles but at the same time has that track success carried over onto the football field?? In most instances that would be the case. At this point I would say that the girls program is in alot better shape than the boys.

I think the real issue are expectation related. Celina has not had the run of success that it had in the early 2000's and everyone thinks something is broken. Talent comes in waves and the combined talent that decade was unique and Celina reaped the rewards. Add to that the fact that Celina was a big 2A school for most of that time it is an unfair comparison.

With the past couple of alignments, Celina has been sent home by schools like Henderson and Lovejoy that had a 2X enrollment advantage. Argyle was a perfect storm and was not to be denied. Celina still managed 0 and 1 loss regular seasons. It will be interesting to see if Celina returns to form with the new alignment with only Gilmer being the clear big dog.

As for basketball, Celina is a country town that is raised on football and baseball. Basketball is not a real interest and the kids don't play it much. Combine that with the lack of any coaches that are passionate about the sport and the results are obvious.

Celina8
01-28-2014, 10:00 AM
I agree with you Gator, but I remember a time when Baseball did not even exist in Celina and the Coaches wanted nothing to do with it during track seasons. I remember when Basketball was big in Celina, and there would be games with standing room only. I am not saying we can get that type of passion back, but I am saying that our Athletic Director needs to address the lack of interest and participation and try to come up with solutions that will build more interest and participation back into the program.

orange machine
01-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Will see what happens in football this year. I've been hearing for years this group of upcoming seniors are the real deal. With all the players Celina has coming back and now that the main competition is in d1 will see what happens.

Bleed orange
01-28-2014, 10:50 AM
I think the real issue are expectation related. Celina has not had the run of success that it had in the early 2000's and everyone thinks something is broken. Talent comes in waves and the combined talent that decade was unique and Celina reaped the rewards. Add to that the fact that Celina was a big 2A school for most of that time it is an unfair comparison.

With the past couple of alignments, Celina has been sent home by schools like Henderson and Lovejoy that had a 2X enrollment advantage. Argyle was a perfect storm and was not to be denied. Celina still managed 0 and 1 loss regular seasons. It will be interesting to see if Celina returns to form with the new alignment with only Gilmer being the clear big dog.

As for basketball, Celina is a country town that is raised on football and baseball. Basketball is not a real interest and the kids don't play it much. Combine that with the lack of any coaches that are passionate about the sport and the results are obvious.

I also think that a sense of entitlement because of past success has led to alot of complacency. I realize they are high school kids and kids do what kids do.. Talk, but if you look at some of the social media you'd think this group is responsible for multiple football titles.

Bleed orange
01-28-2014, 10:52 AM
Will see what happens in football this year. I've been hearing for years this group of upcoming seniors are the real deal. With all the players Celina has coming back and now that the main competition is in d1 will see what happens.

Add that with the fact that it looks like we'll be in region 1 and the expectation should be a DEEP playoff run.

Celina8
01-28-2014, 11:16 AM
2014 will be a significant year for the Bobcats as there are rumbles from the fan base especially after the loss to Gainsville in the First Round. It hopefully will be an exciting year for the Bobcats in 2014.