PDA

View Full Version : Abilene Folks

Deuce
01-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Trying to find out some info on the baseball fields at Nelson Park. I coach a youth baseball team and we are thinking about playing a tournament there this summer. Are they nice? Grass infield or all dirt?

ccmom
01-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Trying to find out some info on the baseball fields at Nelson Park. I coach a youth baseball team and we are thinking about playing a tournament there this summer. Are they nice? Grass infield or all dirt?

Now here's something I know about!!!

The Nelson Park Complex is all softball fields ...dirt infields and sadly they are not in great condition. They aren't the worst I have seen, but not great. Is this a USSSA tourney? My son plays USSSA and his team usually tries to play in the couple of tourneys per year that are hosted at Nelson to cut down and travel and also to support the local tourneys. Jason Johnson does a pretty good job of running those tourneys, but if you are expecting a complex as nice as some other towns the size of Abilene, you will be disappointed. What age group is your team? Hope this helps.

Deuce
01-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Our group plays USSSA. We are in the 11U AA division. Thanks for the help.

slingshot
01-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Wylie's are better! Of course...

Sweetwater Red
01-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Wylie's are better! Of course...

Do they have lights?

pirate4state
01-24-2014, 04:02 PM
do they have lights?

lol :d

slingshot
01-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Do they have lights?

Yes. I was talking about the little league fields...

ccmom
01-25-2014, 01:41 AM
Yes. I was talking about the little league fields...

Speaking of which...slingshot come on out this season and see all the work getting done out there!! Fields flattened with Diamond Pro infield conditioner added, lots of sod cutting, new sound systems on major and minor fields with speakers under the covered bleachers, enclosed bullpens, lots of painting and a whole lot more. We are super proud of the work the volunteers are putting in. By the time the season kicks off it's going to be really nice. It's great to be a Wylie Bulldog!!

Heffelfinger
01-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Nelson Park is an old but good, lighted facility. The infield is not grass, but each field received a $20,000 face lift on the "dirt" playing surface. The infields are very nice - equivalent if not better than Railroad Park in Lewisville and all the infields in Grand Prairie - and play truer than grass and can handle rains more efficiently. New pitching mounds also. The management is trying hard to establish select baseball in Abilene, so they are willing to work with teams to make it a good experience. The level of talent of teams coming to Abilene to play has improved over the years as well.

mustang84
01-28-2014, 11:25 AM
I have a 12u team and we play in Abilene couple times a year. Jason does a good job putting on the tournaments and we always have a good time. They have scheduled 11 different tournaments this year. Come out and play and see what you think.